View Full Version : Adult public sessions in MD area?

dcden
01-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know of evening adult public sessions in Baltimore/Bowie/Laurel/Rockville ice rinks? I know of a few in Virginia but wondering if there are any north of me (I'm in Rockville).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Scarlett
01-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Wells Ice Rink in College Park has adult only ice on Thursdays from 8-10. I don't know how crowded it is though but as a whole there sessions are not that busy. Be warned that Wells will close on Feb. 20th due to repairs.

wisniew
01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know of evening adult public sessions in Baltimore/Bowie/Laurel/Rockville ice rinks? I know of a few in Virginia but wondering if there are any north of me (I'm in Rockville).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Cabin John has an adults 8-10 pm on Thursday. It has gotten progressively busier around the holidays with the college kids in town, however.

Joe

flo
01-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Northwest on Tuesday nights is primarily adults. It's in Baltimore.

dcden
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your tips. What about Columbia's rink?

Debbie S
01-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your tips. What about Columbia's rink?I don't know that much about Columbia's public sessions, but I believe the freestyle ice is only open to club members. I think I saw a skating schedule a few years ago, and I remember that the only publics were on Sat and Sun afternoons and maybe in the middle of the day on weekdays (I think they also had adult group lessons in the middle of the day - this is when I was looking around for a rink to take lessons at when I first started skating). Their schedule may be different so I would recommend calling. I don't think they had publics specifically designated for adults, but that was a while ago so things may have changed.

Have you tried the Gardens? They're closer to you - or do they just have freestyle and hockey in the afternoons and evenings?

wisniew
01-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't know that much about Columbia's public sessions, but I believe the freestyle ice is only open to club members. I think I saw a skating schedule a few years ago, and I remember that the only publics were on Sat and Sun afternoons and maybe in the middle of the day on weekdays (I think they also had adult group lessons in the middle of the day - this is when I was looking around for a rink to take lessons at when I first started skating). Their schedule may be different so I would recommend calling. I don't think they had publics specifically designated for adults, but that was a while ago so things may have changed.

Have you tried the Gardens? They're closer to you - or do they just have freestyle and hockey in the afternoons and evenings?

I know that you originally inquired about evening adult sessions ... but, Wheaton's 3:45 public sessions, aren't bad at all for the first 45 minutes or so (they are seeing the "Olympic rampup" in public session attendance). Cabin John's daytime adult sessions are also pretty open ... based on the last time that I went a couple of weeks ago. Don't waste your time though on late afternoon or evening public sessions at Cabin John if you are looking for anything resembling open ice. Even with 2+ rinks, it has gotten VERY busy the last couple of months.

dcden
01-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks to all for your help. Yes, I'm not surprised that Cabin John is experiencing increased numbers. Perhaps that's why during nationals Michael Weiss was introduced as hailing from "Washington FSC in Rockville MD" rather than Alexandria VA, but that's another topic.

Anyway, back to my inquiry... Does anyone have any leads for not-too-crowded not-necessarily-adult public sessions in the same areas, on Saturday or Sunday? I know that's kind of narrowing things a bit. I'm not looking to do much in the way of practice on such a session... really this is more of a recommendation for someone else.

Thanks!

MusicSkateFan
01-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Doesn't the City Change due to who is The president of the club or where all the club info comes from? That is why I thought WFSC changed from Alexandria VA to Rockville MD.....

Any answers out there?

Terri C
01-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Doesn't the City Change due to who is The president of the club or where all the club info comes from? That is why I thought WFSC changed from Alexandria VA to Rockville MD.....

Any answers out there?

MSF,
It's based on the location of your club's Principal Headquarters. Looking in my USFS Directory, Washington FSC's Principal Headquarters is Cabin John, located in Rockville, MD.