View Full Version : Just started skating again...what ice skates to buy?

Luv Ice Skating
01-22-2006, 06:05 AM
I just started ice skating again and I really want my own pair of figure ice skates. I don't plan on doing any tricks or anything like that. I just want to skate around the rink. The ice skate rentals at my local rink are in horrible condition. So that's not an option.

What brand figure ice skates for Women do you recommend and where should I buy them from? Online or the ice rink store?

I'm also not an expert on ice skates or ice skating. So any do's and don'ts that you would like to share about ice skates and ice skating is gladly appreciated.

sunshinepointe
01-22-2006, 08:31 AM
If you're just planning on doing some light stroking but want to have more support than rentals - my old coach used to skate in the Soft-tec skates and loved them. They're basically like sneakers with blades on them.

If you want a more traditional skate, most people start out in Riedells although I personally hate them. You should go to a pro shop that has a reputable fitter and that also has several different brands to try on. Explain that you want a basic entry level skate and they should measure you then bring out several pairs in several sizes for you to try on. I can't stress how important it is to get a properly fitting boot.

From what I understand, your boot should be very snug with little wiggle room for the toes. Your heel needs to be locked in place with no movement either side to side or up and down. A good fitter can only tell so much based on how they look on your feet so its important that they ask you questions about how it feels on your foot.

Of course this is an ideal situation, and most people have a young kid working in their rinks pro ship that knows more about hockey than they do figure skates, so go armed with an arsenal of research and you should be fine :)

VegasGirl
01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
If you're just planning on doing some light stroking but want to have more support than rentals - my old coach used to skate in the Soft-tec skates and loved them. They're basically like sneakers with blades on them.

That would be my recommendations in this situation as well.

I hope it's ok to post a link, this is what they look like:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm?id=18B055A5-D610-7E99-D0CF2439EA8FC0D1

dbny
01-22-2006, 12:52 PM
The Jackson Softec is a great recreational skate. Just be sure to get a model with a figure blade. Jackson also has a new model out this year called the Soft Skate. It is white and looks more like a figure skate but is a Softec inside.

CanAmSk8ter
01-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Another vote for SoftTecs, and a suggestion to go to your rink's shop rather than online. Skate brands are all sized a bit differently and often differ from shoe sizes by up to a size and a half. Even a "hockey guy" should be capable of getting a measurement for a recreational skater (although I suppose you never know.. ;) )

wisniew
01-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Another vote for SoftTecs, and a suggestion to go to your rink's shop rather than online. Skate brands are all sized a bit differently and often differ from shoe sizes by up to a size and a half. Even a "hockey guy" should be capable of getting a measurement for a recreational skater (although I suppose you never know.. ;) )

Just a side thought ... I am seeing more and more folx coming into sessions with these "hybrids". (?) I am told that they are very comfortable. But ...., at least 2 rinks that I go to, will NOT allow them to be used during group lessons.
So, FWIW .... if hybrids work their way into your decision-making process ...

Skate@Delaware
01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
That's strange that they won't. I've seen someone actually do a double salchow and a flying camel with them8O and I was very impressed (of course, she had her own blades swapped onto them).

My rink allows them, we just frown on hockey skates for lessons unless you have REALLY BIG FEET and that's the only thing that fits you!!! Like size 14 guy feet 8O 8O 8O 8O !!!

mdvask8r
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM

. . . "hybrids". (?) I am told that they are very comfortable. But ...., at least 2 rinks that I go to, will NOT allow them to be used during group lessons.
Really? What's the reasoning behind that - do you know? The rink where I teach uses the "hybrids" for their rentals so the majority of my students are wearing them.

wisniew
01-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Really? What's the reasoning behind that - do you know? The rink where I teach uses the "hybrids" for their rentals so the majority of my students are wearing them.

I can only guess (I'll ask my coach in a bit) but I suspect one reason could be that there are no toe picks ... at least the couple of pairs that I saw. So, it isn't that you "need" the toe picks, early on, of course, but incorrect stroking (at least for me):cry: can result in toe pick "involvement". For example, I have a tendency to ever so slightly "stall" my stroke and get lazy and get the TP involved, ever so slightly, involved in the stroke.

So maybe that is a reason ...

Joe

mdvask8r
01-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh, that would make sense. Well maybe you are speaking of a different skate than what we have. Ours do have small toepicks.

VegasGirl
01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I can only guess (I'll ask my coach in a bit) but I suspect one reason could be that there are no toe picks ... at least the couple of pairs that I saw. So, it isn't that you "need" the toe picks, early on, of course, but incorrect stroking (at least for me):cry: can result in toe pick "involvement". For example, I have a tendency to ever so slightly "stall" my stroke and get lazy and get the TP involved, ever so slightly, involved in the stroke.

So maybe that is a reason ...

Joe

Softec figure skates all come with toe picks... look for example at these:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/images/site_images/ST2500_l.jpg

The only ones that don't have any are their hockey skates:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC57A70-475A-BAC0-5F1F231DE716FF09