View Full Version : Cut/nick on my boot

Mercedeslove
01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
So today i got my first nick.cut on my boot. It's on my right boot, right near the toe box. It's a little cut. At first i thought it was some hair, but it's not. Is there something I can do it keep it from getting bigger?

I'm seriously depressed over this, it actually made me cry.

nerd_on_ice
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Unless I'm imagining something far different from what you're describing, I don't think you need to worry about the cut getting bigger. My boots have a few nicks--my "favorite" is across 3 of the lace holes on the left boot, where a boy on a public session was clowning around, accidentally kicked me, and not only nicked my boot but cut the lace. No effect whatsoever on the wear (well, I did have to put a new lace in), and the nick is unchanged from the day I got it.

I've noticed that good and gutsy skaters' boots look totally thrashed. I actually wish mine were MORE torn up. So maybe all that's needed is a change of outlook?

Mercedeslove
01-21-2006, 10:25 PM
A good gusty skater definitely has lots of nicks. I howevere, am neither of the two. I also have OCD, so i keep messing with and trying to make it go away.

phoenix
01-21-2006, 10:37 PM
It is a battle scar. There will be more. Consider it a badge of honor. The first one is the hardest to take, after there are more it doesn't seem so bad. You could put skate tape over your skates to protect them from nicks. But no matter what you do, they won't stay pristine forever. Life is like that.

Mercedeslove
01-21-2006, 10:56 PM
I didn't even fall, I think I may have tripped and didn't. I know I didn't fall.

I wish I could build some kind of cut/nick free forcefeild around my skates.

SkatingOnClouds
01-22-2006, 01:35 AM
I know what you mean. One buys these pristine white boots, then after a while the laces start getting rather grey, and then the scrapes and gouges start happening.

Based on my personal philosophy " if you aren't falling over, you aren't trying hard enough", much as I hate my pretty boots being messes up, they are a sign of someone who actually skates in them.

Heck, I even left a dribble of blood on the side of my boot the other day (cleaned as soon as I got home, of course). I figured it made me look really committed (or perhaps that I should be committed. ;)

Have you considered using skate tape? Some people cover their boots completely with it, I just run a strip of the wider tape around the base of the boot, where most of the scrapes are going to happen. For me it does detract slightly from the appearance, but skate tape is a lot easier to rip off and throw away, than to make an invidible mend on a scrape or gouge.

EastonSkater
01-22-2006, 02:21 AM
A good gusty skater definitely has lots of nicks. I howevere, am neither of the two. I also have OCD, so i keep messing with and trying to make it go away.

Maybe you can fill it in with white coloured Tana Rainguard or anything similar. Just to keep moisture out of it as well. I wouldn't worry about nicks and scrapes at all, because seriously, nobody will even notice it....not even if it had some big cut across your boot. Simply, people's eyes aren't like high resolution scanners or anything. Nobody can see it when you're skating.

Skates are like cars ... sooner or later, they just get chips and stuff like that in it. It's all normal. I just normally think that skates and things are always replaceable. But the thing is, nobody can see minor imperfections in skates while you're skating anyhow. Actually....cuts and stuff gives your skate character. Individualises it. You should be proud of it.

Chael
01-22-2006, 06:33 AM
I know what you mean. One buys these pristine white boots, then after a while the laces start getting rather grey, and then the scrapes and gouges start happening.

Based on my personal philosophy " if you aren't falling over, you aren't trying hard enough", much as I hate my pretty boots being messes up, they are a sign of someone who actually skates in them.

Heck, I even left a dribble of blood on the side of my boot the other day (cleaned as soon as I got home, of course). I figured it made me look really committed (or perhaps that I should be committed. ;)

Have you considered using skate tape? Some people cover their boots completely with it, I just run a strip of the wider tape around the base of the boot, where most of the scrapes are going to happen. For me it does detract slightly from the appearance, but skate tape is a lot easier to rip off and throw away, than to make an invidible mend on a scrape or gouge.

Thats why I buy Black skates... you can't see the damage!!

EastonSkater
01-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Thats why I buy Black skates... you can't see the damage!!

Girls usually have white/light tan/brown skates or some light colour, while guys normally have black coloured skates.