View Full Version : Newbie here, About to buy own skates

7Cities
01-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi there,
Im new here and come from the UK so hello to everyone :)
I've been told to come to this section of the forum after posting my topic here.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18889

I've had some great advice, and think that this site is very good indeed.
I used to like going skating for fun when I was young and now have recently picked it up again and go every week.

I'm in the process of trying to find which skates to go for as using the rental ones every week is getting really annoying.
I also want to start to skate properly and learn some moves.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello...... if there is anyone else here who goes to the Nottingham rink in the UK, then hi to you :)

I look forward to posting on here.

Mrs Redboots
01-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Hi, Tim, and welcome.

Definitely get figure skates - hockey skates are great if what you want to do is play hockey, but if you want to learn to skate, you need figure skates. Last time I was at Nottingham, to watch the British championships in 2004, they were selling mugs and T-shirts which read "If figure-skating were easy, they'd call it hockey". Says it all, I think!

Do take learn-to-skate classes, it's important to get good foundations. I can't remember who's teaching at Nottingham just now, but as it's one of the two flagship rinks in this country, I know they have some really good people. So you will be in good hands.

Have fun!