View Full Version : Jackson Skates

*JennaD*
01-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone,

So I am going to be buying new skates soon, and I was jsut wondering if you have any experience with Jackson Ultima Competitior skates? The guy at the store recomended these http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-prod.html but I was just wondering if they will really be ok for me , since the guy at the store didnt' seem too sure about what he was talking about!

Thanks!

Jenna

Skate@Delaware
01-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Jenna-
I skate in Competitors and have so since I first started (as an adult), that's almost 3 years now. I am working on my single jumps so they are very supportive for them but will support through doubles. I will tell you they will feel stiff! However, after starting in rentals I thought they were about the same (our rink had new rentals that were also Jacksons).

If you get the "set" they will come with either the Mark IV or Mirage blade, both are fine.

I am getting a new pair (because of fit problems). They break in pretty quick due to the heat molding but don't mold them right away-wait about 10 hours of skating.

Rusty Blades
01-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I only have 2 hours ice time since returned from a 36 year "vacation" and the Jackson Competitors got the strongest recommendation online of any boot. I have a wide foot (duck feet!) and was told Jacksons were the best for triangular feet.

Being a rank re-beginner, I don't have experience enough to say Jackson's are one of the best but I certainly have no complaints so far. I doubled my total ice time today and my feet aren't sore (but I can't say that about the rest of me!)

I did go with MK Professional blades though as I am returning to skating with a vengence and hope to be into jumps before I have to replace either boots or blades.

Magz
01-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm skating on Jackson Competitors right now, and have been for a year or so. I'm working on doubles in them and they're ok for that, but I probably should've gone for a stronger boot, because they aren't holding up too well. Also, I don't like the Mirage blades that mine came with because they feel kinda gritty and not as smooth as the MK's I had before. Whether or not they're ok for you depends on what you're working on and what size you are etc.

Skate@Delaware
01-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Magz:
I did notice a huge difference when I upgraded from Mirage to Coronation Comets. Went from being realy scratchy/loud scraping sound to quiet and very fast, like a hot knife through butter! I think it's the difference in the metal used in the two blades.

Mark IV/Mirage blades are good for starting out on, but once you really start spinning and jumping you really should move up into a better blade (IMHO). My coach is of the opinion of waiting until you have your scratch spin to get "good" blades:cry: but I think it holds you back. Once I got my Comets, my spins improved 50%, as did everything else (even stroking wasn't such a struggle as they are soooo smoooooth!!!).

JessicaLynn
02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I have Jackson Competitor skates with the mirage blades. I have been skating in them since March. I am an adult skater trying to perfect my singles.

I LOVE them! I also have wider feet and they are awesome.