View Full Version : The Galaxy Saga continues.....

SkatingOnClouds
01-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Well, after my sheer joy at finally jumping on Saturday, I went back for a second go on Sunday. I actually did a waltz/toe-loop combination, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. Tried to work on spins, no improvement there. Unfortunately I had to stop early because my left boot was agony.

I have a huge rubbed patch on my left instep which started on Saturday - well it isn't exactly a blister, it is more like the skin has been pulled upward toward the top of the foot, leaving it shiny and smooth except with a crease in the skin, instead of the usual wrinkly effect there. So it is being pushed upwards somehow.

On the outside of the left leg there is a patched rubbed raw from the boot upper, not sure whether it was the top of the boot that did it, or just below that, but the whole area is very tender as if bruised. No tenderness on the right leg or anywhere else on the left leg except the outside bit.

Neither of these things happened before I moved the blade to this position, so I think that my final screwing down of the blades may have been premature. The right boot is just fine, no problems there (although I think both boots could do with further "merciless" punching out around the bunions, still rubbing slightly).

I have to admit that after so many weeks of adjustments and frustration, that when I got the right blade correct in the last five minutes of the last session before the rink closed for 4 weeks, I decided that the left boot was pretty close, matched it to the position of the right boot, and screwed it down. "Act in haste, repent in leisure", as the saying goes.

So I think I am going to have to take the left blade off and start again. This means plugging the screw holes. Suggestions so far have centred on using epoxy glue and possibly leather to plug the holes. Any further thoughts on plugging holes?

Also any thoughts on what the injuries say about the problem?
The injuriesweren't there before and shouldn't be there now, and indicate a rolling of the foot/ankle one way or the other.
Is the blade too far to the inside edge of the boot (which is my guess, but I've been so wrong about this stuff in the past), or too close to the centre?

Ah, even I get bored with the soap opera my life has become....

Elsy2
01-16-2006, 06:47 AM
We had to do the same with one of daughter's last pairs of boots. Plug the holes and remount the blade on the right boot, which is always the problem boot. I think she pronates only on the right. The leather we used was from a rawhide shoe lace. Hubby shaved a piece down to size and crammed it in the hole tamping it in there and then used glue (but I don't recall what kind).

I don't think it's unusual to have such chaffing up at the top of the boot with new boots. It depends on what you were working on that day and the fact that the boots are so stiff and new. I've never had instep pain, so can't help you there.

Even though my boots are soft and old now, I never skate without my Bunga ankel sleeves.

Be sure you have given the blade placement enough of a chance to be sure it's not correct. I would say it takes a good two or three sessions to know for sure.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

SkatingOnClouds
01-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I know such rubbing is common, but it hadn't happened in the 3-4 weeks of experimenting with blade placement, and the right doesn't hurt at all. Also Galaxy boots are supposed to wear in fairly quickly.

I went to the hardware store today to ask about glues. Poor young man hadn't a clue. He was very good though, rang "Selleys" who make most of the glues here, asked them. They really couldn't suggest anything that might work as a plug on its own, but decided contact adhesive would work with a leather plug.

I'm just dreading telling my husband that I am going to plug and redrill; he has washed his hands of the whole thing. But my skates, my choice - and my feet that suffer.

Any other glue or plugging material suggestions welcomed.

jenlyon60
01-17-2006, 04:59 AM
I "think" people have used a mixture of wood glue and shredded leather (like from leather shoe laces) in the past. I know they've used some sort of glue and shredded leather combination, and recollection is that it was wood glue.

russiet
01-17-2006, 06:03 AM
A waterproof yellow wood glue such as Titebond II or III made by Franklin.

http://www.franklinadhesives.com/

will hold a leather plug nicely. Clean-up is with water. WARNING: This type of glue is not meant to be a filler material. The plug should take up as much of the hole as possible. The glue, if used to fill voids, will eventually shear and the plug will pull out.

A more forgiving and gap filling adhessive would be epoxy. This is what I use as a standard for general epoxy repairs:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=159

That particular epoxy (30 minute) is better than 5 minute epoxy, and the 30 minutes of working time let you work at a more leisurely pace. Clean up needs to be done with solvent.

That being said, maybe epoxy would be better for you after all. I guess if I was in your situation I'd go with the epoxy.

As for the leather, use a hard leather intended for shoe soles. Scraps can be had from a shoe repair shop, or google it and you might find what you need for a few dollars.

A last thought (I know I repeat myself from thread to thread) is to forget the holes already there, and use alternate screw holes. You didn't use them all on the first mounting, did you?

You probably want to plug the old holes anyway to keep out moisture.

OK. Good luck.

SkatingOnClouds
01-18-2006, 02:09 AM
I did look at the epoxy glue, similar to the one in the link. The salesperson didn't think that it was my best option, so I followed his advice and went with the contact adhesive. I make quite tight fitting plugs out of shoe sole leather, sort of screwed them in once the glue was ready, and even bashed them in with a hammer. Time will tell whether I made the right choice.

I did use all but 2 holes when I screwed down. At my weight, I wanted as much security as possible. Of course I shall use those holes this time, once I am 500% sure I have the placement right.

Tonight I am putting together my stretching jig again and making improvements on it. Tomorrow night I will give them a final stretching over the bunions to get them as wide as possible.

Ah, does the fun ever end?

SkatingOnClouds
01-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeeha, the left blade is finally in the right place! :)

It has taken another 2 sessions, but it felt so good once I got it there.

I had the day off work today, and they have morning sessions during school holidays, so took the opportunity to work on the blade placement.

So it is screwed down, feeling good, and I am happy again.
Interestingly, the places where I did have to screw slightly into the holes I plugged were harder to drill and harder to screw into. I am hoping that is a good sign that the plugs will do their job.

No more excuses, no more distractions - now I actually have to skate. ;)

EastonSkater
01-24-2006, 02:00 AM
I have a huge rubbed patch on my left instep which started on Saturday - well it isn't exactly a blister, it is more like the skin has been pulled upward toward the top of the foot, leaving it shiny and smooth except with a crease in the skin, instead of the usual wrinkly effect there. So it is being pushed upwards somehow.

For 100 percent blister prevention, whatever it is that's happening there, first locate the areas that are problems. Then go to the supermarket to buy the very cheapest adhesive strips you can find, and put it them on your foot before you put on your socks and things.