View Full Version : Why do you skate?

Kevin Callahan
01-16-2006, 12:03 AM
You know, I've been asked an awful lot lately by coworkers and friends about my skating. Even my parents have inquired why I've gotten serious now. Obviously there was a catalyst this past summer that got me back on the ice, but I'm not refering to that. I'm sure my view is not unique, and I'd like to hear what other skaters have to say.

I continue to skate because I feel safer on the ice than I do off it. I feel like I have the control and poise when skating that I do not have in other aspects of my life. It's also a haven that prevents the stresses of my life from following me (the idea of a boss, coworker, professor, or peer trying to follow me on the ice and failing is definitely a boon). In a nutshell, skating is my therapy session. Granted, I do enjoy the act of skating, and I do have a drive to get better, especially as I want to see how far I can go, but being able to let it all out on the ice is an invaluable means of self-expression.

doubletoe
01-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Yep, you hit on several of my reasons as well. I quit therapy and started skating again instead, LOL. My reasons are. . .

- The ice is my sanctuary; nothing from the outside world steps onto the ice with me.

- My ice time is the only time I'm completely in the moment and not thinking about anything other than what I'm doing right now.

- It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

- It's something that's completely MINE. It doesn't depend on anyone but me (which is why I don't do dance or pairs) and it can't be taken away from me by anyone.

- It makes me feel alive!

Kevin Callahan
01-16-2006, 12:32 AM
- It's something that's completely MINE. It doesn't depend on anyone but me (which is why I don't do dance or pairs) and it can't be taken away from me by anyone.

I should have mentioned this one. It's one of the several reasons I left hockey. And one my mother pointed out a few days ago when she dropped by the rink to watch me practice (obviously, as I'm an adult, this is a rare occurance). Apparently I was never much of a "team player."

Mercedeslove
01-16-2006, 12:37 AM
(Note I don't compete. )

I skate because it's fun, even though I'm no Michelle Kawn or anything even close. Though I don't have a coach, an' I just go to my local rink. I skate for fun. There's just something about spinning around on one foot until I get dizzy that just gives me a high.

When I'm out there, it's just me and only me. Until a few of the local kids come up to me and ask me where I learned to skate, how I do things. I've managed to teach them all to stop on their own. No more skating right into the boards or falling down to stop. I taught one girl how to do backward swizzles...now her mom says I'm her hero.

But I just skate, because I love it....theres no other way to explain, there are no words how to explain. The only way I can...is to skate...

singerskates
01-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Here are a few of the reasons I skate and what skating has done for me.

It's a legal addiction.
It's healthy.
If you're an adult, you can fool people about your age. eg. I'm 43 and some 12 year old boy thought I was in my late teens just because I could spin and jump. I had to tell him that my boyfriend, hubby, is 50.
You don't get speeding tickets when going fast on the ice.
When you watch elite skaters on TV or in person, you know what elements they are doing and can explain them to your non-skating friends.
From time to time you may make friends with elite skaters.
It's fun to inspire competitive kids to have fun on the ice, especially after I finish my freeskate and they clap for me.
As an adult skater, I'm an good advertisement to the kids telling that skating doesn't have to end after age 18 if they aren't in the competitive stream.
When you compete as an adult, you get to travel all over the place and see things and places that you'd never go otherwise.
Skating boost the immune system.
Competing you get to meet people from all over the country and then become friends with them. Eg. After competing at the 2004 Skate Canada Adult Championships and winning a Bronze Medal, I was introduced to skaters from other provinces.
Skating has given me hundreds of email adult skating buddies. I started Competitive Adult Skaters at Yahoo Groups on Mar 10, 2002 and now have 494 members/skating pals.
and the Canadian spin off was influenced by me, Canadian Competitive Adult Skaters also at Yahoo Groups
I made a difference when I got to volunteer at the 2002 Canadian Championships.
Skating has given me a chance to share my joy with others even when they thought they couldn't do things and got them to find the good in themselves that they could do. It allowed me to motivate the future elite.
I get to perform in front of crowds doing interpretive FS spreading messages I want the public to hear.
Competing in Adult Freeskate, I get to be a complete ham and shed my shyness from when I was a kid.
Skating allows me to merge many of my talents together, songwriting, music editing and remastering and on ice skills.
I get to hang around kids and feel young again when program assisting during the CanSkate and StarSkate session at my club.
Skating has allowed me to program assist and learn coaching skills from coaches for when I'm ready to become a coach.

Mrs Redboots
01-16-2006, 04:02 AM
I skate:

because it's good exercise.
because it's always a challenge.
because it's something Husband and I can do together that we both love - this may well have saved our marriage once we were empty-nesters.
because it's transformed holidays for two people who want very different things from their holidays!
because when you're on the ice you can't think of anything else, no matter how stressy real life may be.
because it's brought me wonderful friends from all over the world!
because it's taught me how to distinguish my personal worth from the worth of what I can do.
because it's just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Elsy2
01-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Skating is the most challenging sport I've every done (since gymnastics many moons ago. And so gives a great sense of accomplishment (along with frustration).....a good skate day is the best!

I will never get tired of the wonderful feeling of speed and grace stroking around the rink with my "partner". I love Uncle Dick's saying, "The two shall skate as one".

Even on a bad skate day, I love the little girls who come up and say with awe "you are a really good skater..." LOL!

I have loved giving my daughter the opportunity of a lifetime to train at a top notch program. We will always have those experiences to remember. Competing together at the same comps. Traveling together. We are closer for it.

I have loved being the center of the spotlight on the ice in front of hundreds of people. My 2 minutes of fame.

I love that skating has brought me some of my best friends in life. Mine and my daughter's coach, and also my friendship with Michigansk8er, that I'm sure will also endure through the years.

I hate a few things about skating too....but we won't go there today!

tinytot
01-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Ever since I was 3 years old I can remember that is all I have wanted to do. I watched a tape of Torvel & Dean skate to Bolero and I told my parents that is what I wanted to do. I have been doing it ever since. I am now 11 and a intermediate pairs skater and I love it as much as I did as when I was 3 years old. Rach

coskater64
01-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Only one reason:

An incredible sense of joy, I am one unto myself and in that moment I am at peace.**

(Until I trip on an ice divot)**

miraclegro
01-16-2006, 10:30 AM
*Well, until i just broke my fibular the other day i skated because I COULD!
*Mostly, it's because it give me a sense of freedom and accomplishment.
*I can set goals with this when other things may seem redundant in life.
*I can dream of expressing myself through music, and even sometimes praise the Lord through it!
*I have been told i look much younger than my age (45); sometimes as low as 25 (and i laugh because i KNOW what i looked like at 25!) and i think it keeps me young!
*It boosts my self esteem when little kids want to know if i'm going to the Olympics! (double belly laugh!)

Hannahclear
01-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Because....

~it gives me a sense of mastry of certain skills and a sense of pride at my accomplishments, even though these are very modest.
~there is no better feeling than warming up with fast stroking, feeling the cold air on your face and the blood rushing through your legs.
~it's pretty
~great exercise, good for the body and the mind

Mercedeslove
01-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Only one reason:

An incredible sense of joy, I am one unto myself and in that moment I am at peace.**

Guh ice divots. I catch those all the time. I always seem to find them, no matter what. If there isn't one. Then the ice gnomes make one, just in time for my skates to find....and bam!

doubletoe
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Only one reason:

WOW. You distilled it into one potent drop.

Bothcoasts
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
If you're an adult, you can fool people about your age. eg. I'm 43 and some 12 year old boy thought I was in my late teens just because I could spin and jump. I had to tell him that my boyfriend, hubby, is 50.

I second that! Like the four-year-old I coached yesterday who asked me if I was 9 years old yet. Or the kids who've asked me why I skate in the adult show numbers, since in their eyes, I'm really in between being a kid and an adult--and I'm 25!

jazzpants
01-16-2006, 04:45 PM
My reasons:

Keeps me out of the mental ward
Keeps me out of the jail cells!!!
Keeps me out of trouble!!!
:twisted: :lol:

Okay, okay... half joking there... Doubletoe said most of why I skate. Also...

The ability to meet new skating friends (both fellow skaters and coaches!!!)
Great exercise
Great way of staying young! Preserves the skin nicely! (I'm amazed how often I get mistaken for being in the Class I or II age group, even though I'm starting to get lines around the eyes and bits of white hair here and there...)

russiet
01-16-2006, 07:11 PM
I have always picked individual sports and been obsessive about them. There's been skiing at one time. Then catamaran sailing and racing. Biking has spanned it all. Way over a decade on each.

Then 5 years ago I bought skates just to be on the ice with my daughter. Suddenly one more sport pervaded my sole.

Now I need my skating fix every day I can.

It gives me a sense of accomplishment

It creates lots of endorphines

It keeps me looking young (at least from a distance) and moving young. I've been introduced to people at the arena who thought I was 35 (they missed the facial wrinkles).

Little kids at public skates seek me out to play with. I see them copying me.

Encouraging others. I live in a small community and I have been able to get other ancients to take lessons with me. 4 years ago I was the only adult at the offerred group lesson. This year their are 6 adults. I'll take direct credit for half of that, and indirect credit for some of the rest.

And, just lately.....Spinning.

Yeah. Spinning.

EastonSkater
01-16-2006, 07:30 PM
It's like snow skiing. Freedom to do something exciting and fun, and you get good exercise at the same time. Although, there is a line between fun and pain. I usually forget about doing really difficult tricks because my point of skating is for health and fitness, and not about doing major damage to bodyparts or getting knocked out from a fall-gone-wrong.

Kevin Callahan
01-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Suddenly one more sport pervaded my sole.

...Ouch. What a pun.

Mercedeslove
01-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Little kids at public skates seek me out to play with. I see them copying me.

You too huh? The past few days they all flock to me. I suddenly have my own little group lessons going on. Just the other day, this girl asked me to show her how to skate backwards. She was one of them skaters who caught on real quick. So I made her a little routine. She skated backwards, then skated forwards, then did a one foot glide, and she taught herself a two foot spin, so she ended it with that. It was cute.

She was very happy with herself.

The rest I've taught a snowplow stop too. Amazing how excited they were with that.

TimDavidSkate
01-17-2006, 02:52 AM
I like the competition
- The fear & excitement

russiet
01-17-2006, 05:32 AM
...Ouch. What a pun.

I was beginning to think I was considered a pour speeler.

Initially it was a mistake. I had been reading so many boot fitting threads, my mind was dwelling on feet. I noticed the mistake when previewing the message but kind of liked it. So I left it as is.

rf3ray
01-17-2006, 05:32 AM
I Skate cause it

* Keeps me Fit
* Meet new People
* Its Entertaining when you go to the training sessions and watch little kids kill themselves
* I want to do an axel before I die :-)

russiet
01-17-2006, 05:36 AM
You too huh? The past few days they all flock to me. I suddenly have my own little group lessons going on. Just the other day, this girl asked me to show her how to skate backwards. She was one of them skaters who caught on real quick. So I made her a little routine. She skated backwards, then skated forwards, then did a one foot glide, and she taught herself a two foot spin, so she ended it with that. It was cute.

She was very happy with herself.

The rest I've taught a snowplow stop too. Amazing how excited they were with that.

That's great. Just yesterday the arena was overflowing because of the holiday. I had a number of unplanned private lessons with a handful of kids.

One in particular approached me with a huge toothless grin; "You're really good! Can you help Meeee?"

How can any one resist THAT?

sceptique
01-17-2006, 06:38 AM
That's great. Just yesterday the arena was overflowing because of the holiday. I had a number of unplanned private lessons with a handful of kids.

One in particular approached me with a huge toothless grin; "You're really good! Can you help Meeee?"

How can any one resist THAT?

I recently started assisting Skate UK classes so I can get my 100 hours for the level 1 coach certificate. And last Sunday when I practicing my MITF stuff after the lesson, I heard one girl saying to her friend - "this is my teacher!" I just melted.

I agree - it's a total incurable addiction. I'm trying to think about all things that make me high:
- When I'm taking a little break during the patch time and stand behind the barrier with a hot cup of tea in my hand watching others skate: there's such harmony in that, such beauty! So much emotion and drama: joy, despair, determination, cheekyness - who needs soaps? And you know that, unlike with watching things on telly, you can always put your cup down, step on ice and instandly become part of it.

- When they are changing tapes and the rink goes silent so you can hear the sound of ice cracking under the blade, or kind of "sweesh - thup!" when someone takes off on a double jump. These are music too!

- When I'm first on ice for my 7:00 slot - it's matte and smooth, and the air is misty: a magical New World to be explored;

- That "inner child/parent" dialogue in my head: "Can I have one more salchow? Just one more? They are so good today!" - "No, you had enough already - you're getting tired and you haven't worked on your backspin yet." - "Just one!" - "Ok, one and then - backspins".

- The way my bum looks in the mirror;

- The way my non-skating friend looks when she takes a look at my bum. :twisted: