View Full Version : Upgrading Skates - Which next?

Ozzie Ice
01-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Our Daughter currently has a pair of Riedell 12 White Ribbon Girls Figure Skates. They have become too small and she needs a larger size of skate. She has always got blisters while wearing her skates so we are looking for something a bit more comfortable.
She is currently at the equivalent of the ISI Delta USFSA Basic 4-5 level.

Our main problem with buying skates is that we are in a tropical climate with no skate shops within 1000 miles! (Australia is a big place with not many people!) So we can't try skates before we buy them.

We would appreciate any advice on which skates to buy and sizing.

Thanks for your help
:)

sunshinepointe
01-15-2006, 05:20 PM
You should speak with your daughters coach - they know her better than we do and what might be more suitable for her needs.

Also many skate shops will let you send in a tracing of the foot to get an idea of what skate would fit her best.

Ozzie Ice
01-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Our daughters coach only has dealings with one company in Australia which has a limited range of skates. Ice skating is not as big in Australia as it is elsewhere so the range of skates is small. We are hoping to access a wider range of skates overseas. Any advice on comfortable models would be appreciated.

Mercedeslove
01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I love my Jackson Freestyles. Though mine are the dult modle. But they are comfy as heck.

TashaKat
01-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Any advice on comfortable models would be appreciated.

Unfortunately that's like asking how long is a piece of string :)

I, for example, hate, loathe and detest Risport skates. Risport skates almost wrecked my feet as did Belatis. I don't like Gam, Jackson, Riedell .... the list is pretty much endless! From personal experience the only skates that my feet get on with are Wifas and Harlicks. I haven't tried Klingbeils though I believe that they're nice skates too. My personal preferance is Harlicks, I wouldn't buy any other skate now.

At the end of the day everyone is different and different manufacturers have different boot shapes, some narrow, some wide, some narrow at the heel ....

Is there anyone at the rink who would let your daughter try their skates on? It's not the best way as you really need to keep them on for a while to get the best idea of fit but in your position it would be better than nothing.

dbny
01-15-2006, 11:39 PM
ITA with TashaKat, nevertheless, since you seem to be in something of an equipment vacuum, I will offer a few guidlines. Riedells tend to run narrow, and also have a deep heel. If your daughter is getting blisters on her heels, that may be why. Jacksons run closer to average/wide. I would not recommend Klingbeil, Harlick or SP Teri for a skater at your daughter's level, simply because they are more expensive and more skate than she needs.

The Jackson Mystique is about $80 US, and is a comfortable low end figure skate. According to CycloneTaylor (http://www.cyclonetaylorfigskate.com/iceskates.html), it is heat moldable, but I know a few people with them, so if it is true, it must be a new feature. You haven't said how old your daughter is, or if she is jumping and spinning yet. If she is, then it might be worthwhile to spend more and go for the Jackson Freestyle (about $180 US), which is definitely heat moldable. You can do the heat molding yourself at home in a regular oven. There are several stores that will help you get a proper fit long distance, among them RainboSports (http://www.rainbosports.com/).

SkatingOnClouds
01-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Have you tried "the Local Skate Shop" online? They are in Australia. They only stock Riedells, unfortunately, but I found them to be extremely helpful, and when it turned out my daughter's feet are too wide for Riedell he recommended Gam, and we're very happy with the amount of padding and support, even in the Esprit model.

Elsy2
01-16-2006, 06:59 AM
I just want to add the last thing you want is a heel that slips. If her blisters are at the heel, you need a boot that holds that heel tightly. Most manufacturers will sell a split width with the heel smaller than the front of the boot. If her blisters are elsewhere, then you just don't have a good fit period. Make sure she is wearing skating tights and not socks where your foot slips around in the boot. Socks allow too much movement in the boot.

Seems to me that only a company that will accept a tracing and measurements will give you a good fit long distance. To learn how to do tracings, go to the Harlick website, print out their form on legal sized paper. All the instructions for doing tracings are there.

I was going to suggest Jacksons too. I like the fact that they are heat moldable. Actually any boot can be heated up and put on to mold to your foot. We had a skate shop put custom Harlicks in the oven and then on daughter's feel for 1/2 hour. They aren't "heat moldable" but it worked out fine. By the way, the oven they used was a convection oven.

I've heard you can use a normal oven at a low temp. but I don't know the specifics of what temperature, and how long you keep them in there. Anyone know this?

EastonSkater
01-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Unfortunately that's like asking how long is a piece of string :)

I don't reckon it's like asking how long is a piece of string. Has nothing to do with that at all. The question is just asking what people have felt comfortable in. But unfortunately, as lots of people know, feet come in all different shapes, and even the feet on an individual person can differ a bit in shape. So what is comfortable for one person might not be comfortable for another.

Individual companies may have various model boots with different shapes because of the fact that different people have different shaped feet. Probably the only way to be sure that you're going to be satisfied with comfort is to be able to try out the boot. It really is difficult if you're in Australia where it's hard to access skate shops, and even then, the skate shops in Australia have very limited range of skates and boots. I also noticed that they jack up the prices really high in Australia....maybe 2 to 3 times as high as what a pair of skates in USA cost. Maybe that's due to import costs combined with jacking up the prices.

And if absolute comfort is important, then go for the heat moldable boots. Maybe if possible, can send your daughter to USA for a short trip - to a place where you know will have lots of skates and pro help....because even if a skate fits reasonably well, they sometimes have to figure out which parts of the boot needs to be punched out a bit or worked on in case one foot is a bit wider than the other, or if one foot has a bone protrusion...etc

TashaKat
01-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't reckon it's like asking how long is a piece of string. Has nothing to do with that at all. The question is just asking what people have felt comfortable in. But unfortunately, as lots of people know, feet come in all different shapes, and even the feet on an individual person can differ a bit in shape. So what is comfortable for one person might not be comfortable for another.

There's absolutely no need to be so damn rude :evil: If you read my post you will see that I have said exactly what you have said, that everyone is different. Ozzie Ice asked for advice on which skates to get, we can't really answer that as we don't know and can't see her daughters' feet.

aussieskater
01-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Ozzie Ice, where are you in Aust? (I'm in Sydney). You're absolutely right - there is very little choice down here...I'm guessing your rink deals only in Risports?? (That seems to be the default skate in NSW at least, especially for kids and low-level adults. Too bad if your foot isn't made for them!!)

A little while ago, there was a thread on this forum where many posters listed their characteristics (height, weight, sex, skating level), and their skates/blades, and commented as to whether they were happy or not. This might be a good place to start for a general description of what's around). I can't work out for the life of me how to post the link to the thread, but maybe another kind poster (Casey?? Anyone??) will do it for you.

TashaKat's suggestion of asking if your daughter can try on other people's skates seems to me to be a very good one - sure, she won't get a really accurate feel of a well-fitted boot, but it may serve to eliminate some contenders immediately (cough*Risport*cough). (Althought that's not really fair to Ripsort - it's not their fault if their boots run narrow and shallow, and my feet are wide and high!)

I know that many of the US and Canadian manfacturers will accept drawings and measurements, as many of my skating friends have had skates made and sent out this way. The only problem is that these may be classified by the maker as "custom" skates and therefore be more expensive.

Good luck!

jazzpants
01-17-2006, 11:10 PM
A little while ago, there was a thread on this forum where many posters listed their characteristics (height, weight, sex, skating level), and their skates/blades, and commented as to whether they were happy or not. This might be a good place to start for a general description of what's around). I can't work out for the life of me how to post the link to the thread, but maybe another kind poster (Casey?? Anyone??) will do it for you.
You're talking about this thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514)??? :D

Kevin Callahan
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I need to add to this >_>

b-al
01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I've skated in Klingbeils since I was 13 and I never had a problem, or rather I loved them. This is not to say others aren't amazing as well, I just never had a reason to switch from Klingbeil to something else. The downfall of that skate is they are heavier and retain more water (which is why they are heavier) Mr. Klingbeil and his son are located on Jamacia Ave, in Queens, NY. They do accept drawings, and then they make a mold and make the skate around that. Klingbeil does accpet the skate back for alterations, though you will have to pay the shipping costs. However, your daughter seems to still be at an age when her foot is will growing, no? So a custom skate will cost you anywhere from $3-600, and will need to be replaced as she grows. Perhaps a high quality pre-made boot would be good. George Flathers, of Massachusett is a skate wizard. He own the shop Skatesport 458 Main St. West Springfield, MA 01089 (413) 732-5216. He's a really nice guy and always willing to help. Give him a call, if nothing else (meaning he doesn't have to have the business, he just likes to help) he will be glad to make a recomendation as to a quality skate for your daughter. If you call him, tell him Alexis said hi, he'll get a kick outta that. Good luck!