View Full Version : Hard fall and damaged skate

Jeanmarie
01-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I fell in practice today and my right toe pick gouged out a bit of my left skate. It didn't go all the way through the boot, but is pretty deep. The entire damaged area is maybe the size of a postage stamp. Should I attempt a repair? If so what do I do?

jenlyon60
01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
The quick and easy solution is to put a piece of plastic tape over the gouge, being sure to overlap the gouge somewhat. To be extra safe, before you put the tape over top, get some waterproofing stuff and put it over the gouge, then after it dries, put the tape over it.

miraclegro
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Also, a good shoe repair place may be able to fix it to look like new. Just a suggestion :)

Chico
01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
I had to fix an injury to my skate like you described. I filled the "hole" with white glue and pressed the leather back into place. When the owie was dry I painted a thin barrier of glue over the cut edges. When dry, I put two layers of polish over the injury. I know where ther owie is but friends were amazed at the repair job. My repair work has lasted for a year without any problems. Give it a try. Be careful, paitent and hope for the best.

Chico

russiet
01-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I had to fix an injury to my skate like you described. I filled the "hole" with white glue and pressed the leather back into place. When the owie was dry I painted a thin barrier of glue over the cut edges. When dry, I put two layers of polish over the injury. I know where ther owie is but friends were amazed at the repair job. My repair work has lasted for a year without any problems. Give it a try. Be careful, paitent and hope for the best.

Chico

Use a waterproof wood glue instead. Titebond II is a brand that fits the bill.

Can you post a digital picture of the damage? It would be easier to make suggestions.

Jon

mikawendy
01-14-2006, 05:39 PM
And if you need help posting a photo, you can probably ask Casey for advice. (Sorry to volunteer you, Casey, but I know you're a whiz at posting pics and videos on the web. ;) )

Chico
01-14-2006, 11:48 PM
I would be happy to post a picture. Not this evening though, Nationals. =-)

Chico

Kevin Callahan
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Are you watching them taped as well or is the coverage on right this second?

Chico
01-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Trying to take a decent photo. Hard to see my repair work....... Even if it's crappy I will post something.

Chico

Chico
01-15-2006, 11:46 PM
How do I post a picture? I'm lost!

Chico

Kevin Callahan
01-16-2006, 12:06 AM
There's a button when you post that says "insert image." You have to have it already uploaded elsewhere like at photobucket to have it show up.