View Full Version : What to do when you realize you stink?

sunshinepointe
01-12-2006, 07:45 PM
My friend and I brought the video camera to the rink today...

I had no idea I was *that* bad.

I knew my spins were bad and that they could be better. But things like crossovers, which I thought were fine looked awful.

My jumps, which I always assumed I got good height on, were the smallest jumps ever. I was so disappointed watching the video - from what other people told me I always thought my skating was much better.

I know I'm my worst critic and I don't expect to be great at everything right away...but I dunno...I'm inspired to work harder but I don't even know where to start since I never have someone there telling me how to improve. I mean, my coach would tell me if things are really bad but I dunno.

I guess I'm just down on myself right now but it's so frustrating realizing just where you are on the food chain. I don't have a cocky attitude about skating but I did feel confident - now I'm not feeling so hot. :roll:

Advice? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Rusty Blades
01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
What to do when you realize you stink?

I don't know but I'll tell you next week (when my skates come in and I get back on the ice for the first time in 32 years!)

I'll get somebody to tape it and send you a copy - you will feel better about yourself then ;)

If your coach isn't helping you to improve, mabye it's time for a new coach?

sunshinepointe
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
^ Well, I haven't worked with a coach since the end of October and I tried calling my old coach the other day and he didn't return the call yet soooooo....

I dunno

Maybe its just time for a COACH.

renatele
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I always feel like that after watching the new video of my skating - most often I get close to feeling physically sick. The way that I think I look is never the same as it is on the tape. You are right, we are our own worst critics.

After watching the new recording for the first time, usually I don't want to see it again for at least few days. Some time later, I watch it again few times, and by then it doesn't look as terrible anymore - I can usually notice some things that actually look not nearly as bad as they did first time, and I try to focus not on just how much I suck overall, but on particular things that can be rather easily improved - things like better posture, extention, stronger underpush in XOs, etc etc. Several months later the whole cycle is repeated with a new video, and after I get over just how bad I look I manage to find things that look better than they did before ;)

I'm sure you don't suck as much as you think you do :)

Cactus Bill
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
^ Well, I haven't worked with a coach since the end of October and I tried calling my old coach the other day and he didn't return the call yet soooooo....

I dunno

Maybe its just time for a COACH.

That's exactly right. Apparently the old coach isn't interested (for whatever reason) so he's NOT the coach for you. Go find someone you can work with and go for it.

luna_skater
01-13-2006, 01:34 AM
I've been lucky to skate at rinks that have mirrors my whole life. It definitely helps to be able to catch a glimpse of myself now and again, to make myself bend or extend a little more, or stand up a bit straighter.

I've also had the old "man, I SUCK" syndrome. At first, I would try to fix EVERYTHING after seeing myself on video...that just lead to more frustration. Pick one or two things that you can realistically improve on in a short period of time to give yourself a confidence boost.

jenlyon60
01-13-2006, 04:42 AM
I HATE watching myself on video. Not only do I never like what I see, I get focused on the bad stuff, like my lack of extension and my size.

But a couple years ago I had someone comment to me after a competition that my basic skating sucked. I was irritated at the time at the comment, between being upset at how I skated and being tired from 3 long days of working coaches/judges hospitality. But when I calmed down, I realized she was right. Had my coach spend most of that summer making me do LOTS of solo skating to improve my basics and flow. I still have an average of 1 lesson a week that's nothing but drills to work on power and flow, with maybe 10 minutes of the dance. And I can see it paying off in my ice coverage, even on the dreaded CW progressives... (next week I will be doing "evil 8's" on that side as well....)

Casey
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
That's life, I felt the same the first few times I took videos of myself. Get over it, work on what you didn't like, and start taping yourself more often. It's easier to improve the things you don't like the look of if you can *see* them on a fairly regular basis.

And share them with the rest of us! :D

NickiT
01-13-2006, 07:28 AM
I used to feel like that when I watched myself on video. It was quite painful. I'm not at a level where I can comfortably watch myself skate and feel happy with what I see, but it did take time and lots and lots of practice to get here. Of course being a perfectionist, I still pick myself apart for little things but I can honestly say I'm proud of my spins and jumps. I think we all go through this thing of thinking we're doing things bigger, higher, neater, better, stronger than we actually are. Video taping yourself (or rather getting someone to do it for you!) is such a valuable exercise. I only get videoed during competitions and shows, but I can compare how I skate from one to another and I'm very often pleasantly surprised that when I watch the playback of what felt a nerve-wracking skate, it doesn't actually look anywhere near as bad as it felt.

Nicki

slusher
01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
but I can compare how I skate from one to another and I'm very often pleasantly surprised that when I watch the playback of what felt a nerve-wracking skate, it doesn't actually look anywhere near as bad as it felt.

Nicki

I totally agree with Nicki.

Definitely save your first video experience. Then when you get video'd again, you can compare the two and get some satisfaction in saying "boy have I improved".

Video is a humbling experience. My first one was horrible, they're still not better but since our rink videos on a regular basis, video is just a tool and I know for specific things to look for. I ignore my middle aged middle and look at my feet.

A tip: If you know you're going to be videoed, wear a dress with a fluffy chiffon skirt. The movement of the skirt will give you a clue as to how fast you're actually skating, otherwise with flat skirts it's hard to tell (and feel good about).

Isk8NYC
01-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Don't get discouraged, get determined. Concentrate first on your posture and form. Decide to look like a strong skater. The rest will come with practice and lessons. Think of that video as a TOOL to help you refine your skills.

I know firsthand the pain of video - you always "feel" you've skated great but the video takes away the satisfaction because you focus on the weaknesses. No one skates perfectly from the get-go and video footage helps clarify that for you. When I skated in a national away competition, I thought I did great in all my programs. Then I brought home the video and I was embarassed for my family (before I married) to see the result of all those lesson/practice hours. They, however, thought I skated great! Today, my kids love to watch those videos: "That's when Mommy was still learning and she was great!" (I love my little twins, the big one laughs when I blow a simple jump. Nevermind that I nailed it on the second attempt and won the ISI national gold. Teenage satisfaction in making fun of your parents, I guess.)

I think a coach is a good idea. Why don't you give your old coach another call and try to set up a lesson. If you're not taking lessons, this miserable video is the best feedback you can get.

Hang in there and try to video each month so you can see your progress, painful as the experience is to you now. (((hugs)))

Isk8NYC
01-13-2006, 08:41 AM
But a couple years ago I had someone comment to me after a competition that my basic skating sucked.

I hope that person didn't say it in quite that way. You definitely made lemonade out of lemons, though! Good for you!

So, how do you watch a video of yourself skating? I got in the habit of putting it on while I was doing something else, so I didn't really focus on it as much. After the second go-round, I took out a notebook and made three lists: the good (things I nailed/liked), the bad (things I blew/dislike) and the ugly (things I did that looked terrible.) Helped me create a practice list and also got rid of that "big step" problem I had before stepping into the spin 3-turn. It was U-G-L-Y as sin when I saw it for myself. (I thought the coach was exaggerating.)

jenlyon60
01-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Actually she was quite blunt ... but that's her personality

and in the end the results have been worth it (haven't yet passed that *&^$ Tango, but both my coaches say that they can tell the increase in flow and power).

sunshinepointe
01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I watched the video again last night before bed on the big tv so I could really see the moves.

Although I'm not where I'd like to be, or where I thought I was I do feel like taking the video was a really good thing, especially not having a coach right now. I can see that I can work on a lot of little things to make my overall skating better.

Isk8NYC - your idea for the list is great. I'll definitely do that later. Thanks for that tip! Also, I don't wear skirts while skating, but maybe I should when I take video just so I can see my lines and movement better - thanks slusher!

I think I'm over my little pity party - you guys definitely made me feel better. I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets totally bummed when seeing video. But - as you all pointed out this can and will serve as motivation to improve and when I take video next month I definitely hope to see a nice difference in a few things I plan to work on (after making my good/bad/ugly list).

big hugs to everyone - you all rock :)

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I cannot watch myself skating without a very stiff drink! However, I usually get videoed roughly once a year, at competition, and I am so aware of how I improve year-on-year. Yes, I'm still ghastly, couldn't be much worse - but oh, how much better I am than a few years ago! I was actually quite encouraged by how I looked at this year's Mountain Cup - and I know I've improved enormously since then!

Right now we really need to be videoed again - we are hoping to get our own machine soon, and our coach says he will video us if we do. Then I'll post them on Casey's site so you can all have a good laugh!

Skate@Delaware
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh, that's so mean! That reminds me of the comment made yesterday, by the old guy that skates at my rink! He said, "You wanna know why they are letting us (meaning he and I) skate in the exhibition? Because we make everyone else look really good-we are so bad!"

I felt that was really mean of him to say that and I was really mad at him :x

My coach, on the other hand, tells me I have improved-GREATLY since September and I have nice qualities to my skating. I have other things that need to be fixed but they will get fixed in due time.

We are our own worst critics!!!:P

Yes, we are not like Kwan, Cohen, or Lambiel, but we could be, given enough time......

Raye
01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Speaking of Ice shows......

I am the original Competition Junkie, and have competed many times and in many places. I love competing and rarely get nervous. I have all my DVD's and can see the improvements I have made as time goes by.

.....Anyway, our club is having a "Pop concert" in a couple of weeks and I was asked if I wanted to skate in it. I panicked at the thought. It doesn't matter if I suck in front of strangers - but to suck on home ice is a scary thought. :oops: People KNOW ME here!

coskater64
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
When I started skating again and saw the video I was appalled, because of that I use video a lot. It really is helpful but it can be depressing, what helped me is that I have video of 4 years back and I can see the difference in my skating which gives me hope. I'm sure you're doing fine. :D

jazzpants
01-13-2006, 12:49 PM
.....Anyway, our club is having a "Pop concert" in a couple of weeks and I was asked if I wanted to skate in it. I panicked at the thought. It doesn't matter if I suck in front of strangers - but to suck on home ice is a scary thought. :oops: People KNOW ME here!Girlfriend, you do NOT SUCK!!! I've seen you skate before... you got great edges!!! :P

I've seen videos my hubby took of me doing spins and jumps! Oh, dear! My coaches were right!!! :oops:

e-skater
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
That reminds me of the comment made yesterday, by the old guy that skates at my rink! He said, "You wanna know why they are letting us (meaning he and I) skate in the exhibition? Because we make everyone else look really good-we are so bad!"

I felt that was really mean of him to say that and I was really mad at him :x

Yes, we are not like Kwan, Cohen, or Lambiel, but we could be, given enough time......

Maybe he was just joking? :halo: With a hint of acknowledging that he recognizes he's learning, just like you and probably everyone else? He did say "we".......thus was including himself, right? :??

So chin up, Skate@Delaware! Just enjoy it! :)

p.s. LOL about being like Kwan, et. al. Yep, after several lifetimes!!!!! :lol:

mikawendy
01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I try to focus not on just how much I suck overall, but on particular things that can be rather easily improved - things like better posture, extention, stronger underpush in XOs, etc etc. Several months later the whole cycle is repeated with a new video, and after I get over just how bad I look I manage to find things that look better than they did before ;)

I'm sure you don't suck as much as you think you do :)

And renatele, you don't suck overall either! :D I was at the adult skating clinic this summer, so I've seen you in action on the ice.

mikawendy
01-13-2006, 04:05 PM
That's exactly right. Apparently the old coach isn't interested (for whatever reason) so he's NOT the coach for you. Go find someone you can work with and go for it.

Well, if sunshinepointe literally did call just the other day, maybe he hasn't had a chance to return her call. Some people are better with returning calls than others, or maybe he was out of town at a competition and hasn't returned yet...

jazzpants
01-13-2006, 04:19 PM
p.s. LOL about being like Kwan, et. al. Yep, after several lifetimes!!!!! :lol:Heh!!! The only way *I* could remotely be like Kwan is in the INJURY dept. :twisted: :lol: :P (Just got over a mild groin muscle pull myself...)

ETA: But seriously, I think most adults have already given up on trying to be a "Kwan" or a "Sasha." Let's face it... we're older, less flexibile (both physically, financially and in time...) We can only make due with what God has given us!

So... I could see myself saying exactly the same thing what that old man Skate@Delaware mentioned about. As Skate@Delaware mentioned, we're our own worse critic. But we have to remind ourselves of the reality that we could never be as good as some of the higher level kiddie skaters that are out there... but we could be the best jazzpants, e-skater, S@D, etc. we could be...

(I could see my coach in Chelsea Piers going like "Jazzpants...didn't we have a talk about this? ;) " He and I had this talk about "spell checking" yourself w/o judgement.)

Kevin Callahan
01-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, if sunshinepointe literally did call just the other day, maybe he hasn't had a chance to return her call. Some people are better with returning calls than others, or maybe he was out of town at a competition and hasn't returned yet...

I second this. Tim was supposed to call me from US Nats when he arrived on Tuesday. I've left messages twice and he still hasn't returned my call. Most likely he's just really busy and so I don't blame him.

As for being like Kwan, Skate@Delaware, well, I don't think we want to be like her, for I think she stopped being critical of herself years ago. Just my opinion though.

techskater
01-13-2006, 05:30 PM
We have video lesson on a regular basis (every 6 months or so and more often during the summer when working on more new elements). The first time was very depressing. Gosh, I thought I was better than that! But, we learned from that first video lesson that I am partially a visual learner and that if we can discuss the correction to an issue while I look at the problem, I can correct it a heck of a lot easier because then I know what "feels" wrong. You can always be a better skater, even OGMists know this. As hard as it is to see where you suck, you can also see where you are good. You have to be less critical about it, as if you were watching someone else skate. Be clinical and non-emotional to get the most out of it...

doubletoe
01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't think I've ever met an adult skater who didn't suffer from serious shock and depression the first time she ever saw herself on video. I remember the first time I ever saw myself on video I crawled under the covers and didn't come out for 3 days.

Now I am somewhat desensitized, since I get a professional video about 4 times a year and ocassionally get my husband to videotape me as well. But I always watch each video for the first time with a pen and notepad in hand, to immediately write down my first impressions, i.e., what moments made me cringe. Then I go back and watch it a few more times to take a closer look at the cringe moments and define exactly what I was doing that made it look bad (by which time I invariably decide that I didn't look that awful after all). But that list of first-impression-cringe-moments is always my To Do list for my next lesson. I have improved so much, so fast by doing this!! Also, after one of my coaches told me my mediocre placement at a competition 2 years ago was because I was skating too slow, I promised myself I would never skate slowly again (I felt like Scarlett O'Hara saying, "I will never go hungry again!"). My speed is now one of my best strengths.

One final comforting thought: It will NEVER feel this bad again, and you always find it a lot less awful when you watch it again after a day or two. ;)

sunshinepointe
01-13-2006, 08:41 PM
You guys are so right.

First of all, my coach did call me tonight - he's a new father and all so I knew he was busy - and although I didn't get a chance to speak to him directly (my cell phone wasn't on me at the time) I'll be happy to return to him provided we can work out a nice schedule.

Secondly, I watched the video again and I was less appalled than I was the first few times watching it. Instead of looking at the big picture I looked at smaller elements and broke it down into stuff I KNOW I can correct - extending that free leg higher on the waltz jump with a nice pointed toe will give be a beautiful waltz jump that I can be proud of. A lot of my issues lie within speed, power and control, all things that I can work on.

I have a laundry list of stuff I'd like to correct, but I'm REALLY going to focus on maybe 2 or 3 small things for now. I'll continue to work on other stuff too, mindful of what I learned from the video, but I won't drill it to death quite yet.

Sigh...big lesson/practice session tomorrow - 3 hours 8O Hopefully I can start to make a dent in my quest to be a better skater.

By the way I'll be focusing on - in case anyone cares -

The waltz jump extension/pointed toe
Getting more power, push etc. in back crossovers
Getting better extension and height in spirals - something I love to do, and isn't bad to begin with but I know can be better - easily attainable too lol.

Chico
01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
yes =-) My coach is kind enough to see many good things in my skating, but I tend to see everything that needs help. Use the video as a comparison tool. (I'm sure this is what a coach does when they watch us.) Compare your next video to this one to see your improvement as a skater. Look for positive change. Yep, the process is painful. Enjoy your skating, have fun and focus on improving. It's about the process not being perfect. Don't let some video make skatinig not fun anymore. Work on improving the things that you don't like. Talk to your coach, they can put things in perspective for you. It's okay. most skaters, me included, experience the video shock experience.

Chico

Casey
01-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Also, there's another huge benefit to keeping videos around...when in 6 months you're feeling like you haven't really progressed that much, you can watch the old videos, and see the improvement.

That's really very rewarding, surprisingly.

Skate@Delaware
01-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Maybe he was just joking? :halo: With a hint of acknowledging that he recognizes he's learning, just like you and probably everyone else? He did say "we".......thus was including himself, right? :??

So chin up, Skate@Delaware! Just enjoy it! :)

p.s. LOL about being like Kwan, et. al. Yep, after several lifetimes!!!!! :lol:
He was being mean! He was pissy about my routine music being loud (I'm hard-of-hearing) and while I was skating my routine, he came up to me and made a smarta** comment about the loud music that was drowning out his cassette (he had earphones on), "Could you possibly turn it up any louder, as I can't hear my own music?" He laughed and skated away.:??

At that time, I thought he was being "funny" but when he said that mean comment-he was just being nasty. There are other girls (much younger) that have told me he has been saying really mean stuff to them. Pre-exhibition jitters, maybe?? I told some of my other adult skating friends (women) and thay died laughing AT him-they will be there on Sunday to cheer me on-they say I'm brave as I will be the oldest woman skating! Yikes!

I'm getting someone to video and I will post it-don't expect much, but at least I can jump and spin (unlike some wisea** persons). Hmph!

I am a great skater in my dreams!!!!

Skate@Delaware
01-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Also, there's another huge benefit to keeping videos around...when in 6 months you're feeling like you haven't really progressed that much, you can watch the old videos, and see the improvement.

That's really very rewarding, surprisingly.
That is very true-sort of like a video progress report!

When I first got my private coach, she asked me if I ever saw myself on video skating-because she said I had some "nice qualities" to my skating. We watched a video and she pointed out some-made it less depressing that way-maybe you guys could do that with your coach?

She also pointed out things I need to pay attention to-dropping a shoulder, spreading my fingers apart when I jump, not pointing toes, etc. It is easier to see on video (you can pause while she talks about it) and she can demo the correct way (and even put that on video).

I'm a big fan of video, good and bad.

Hannahclear
01-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Watching that video is a scary experience, but it's really worth it.

I've got two videos. One I taped over because it was so bad. But the second one, I could see that I was much more fit and trim and that my program had really improved. I'm saving that video when I compete again for the first time in almost three years. I really want to see what I look like now, with much more stamina, better basics and again, more trim and fit. I'm scared to see it..... :P but I know that I need to.

Mrs Redboots
01-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Girlfriend, you do NOT SUCK!!! I've seen you skate before... you got great edges!!! :PI will second that remark!

e-skater
01-14-2006, 02:25 PM
He was being mean! He was pissy about my routine music being loud (I'm hard-of-hearing) and while I was skating my routine, he came up to me and made a smarta** comment about the loud music that was drowning out his cassette (he had earphones on), "Could you possibly turn it up any louder, as I can't hear my own music?" He laughed and skated away.:??

I'm getting someone to video and I will post it-don't expect much, but at least I can jump and spin (unlike some wisea** persons). Hmph!

I am a great skater in my dreams!!!!

8O re the music volume comment you got!

Please do post video! :)

.....and it's good to believe in yourself.....if you don't, who else will, right? :)

mikawendy
01-14-2006, 05:43 PM

At that time, I thought he was being "funny" but when he said that mean comment-he was just being nasty. There are other girls (much younger) that have told me he has been saying really mean stuff to them. Pre-exhibition jitters, maybe?? I told some of my other adult skating friends (women) and thay died laughing AT him-they will be there on Sunday to cheer me on-they say I'm brave as I will be the oldest woman skating! Yikes!

Too bad he's so busy worrying about YOUR skating when he could be thinking about how to improve his OWN skating!

As for being like Kwan, Skate@Delaware, well, I don't think we want to be like her, for I think she stopped being critical of herself years ago. Just my opinion though.

You're not alone in your opinion, Kevin--any skater who thinks they don't need a coach is doing themself a serious disservice....

Skate@Delaware
01-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Too bad he's so busy worrying about YOUR skating when he could be thinking about how to improve his OWN skating!
You are right-he hasn't taken lessons this session; he has taken for 4 years and hasn't improved in 3. He stopped listened to good advice and is free with bad (sigh).

Well, I'm ready for my exhibition tomorrow. I'm calling it a practice competition, although I will be glad to just be out on the ice and skating. Today was a crappy day-my kids got on my last nerve and I ditched them with their father (so I went shopping alone). After hours shopping and spending money, I decided I'd better head home-especially since it was dark and starting to snow/sleet.

(bought more fabric and looked at tv's and a new computer at Best Buy-luv that store!)

Too tired to be nervous; bag is packed! Got show rehearsal in the am....gotta get the coffee pot CRANKED and the timer set.

doubletoe
01-14-2006, 09:28 PM
By the way I'll be focusing on - in case anyone cares -

The waltz jump extension/pointed toe
Getting more power, push etc. in back crossovers
Getting better extension and height in spirals - something I love to do, and isn't bad to begin with but I know can be better - easily attainable too lol.

Perfect! I think a video is always worth at least 3 lessons. :)

mikawendy
01-15-2006, 12:36 AM
You are right-he hasn't taken lessons this session; he has taken for 4 years and hasn't improved in 3. He stopped listened to good advice and is free with bad (sigh).

Well, I'm ready for my exhibition tomorrow. I'm calling it a practice competition, although I will be glad to just be out on the ice and skating. Today was a crappy day-my kids got on my last nerve and I ditched them with their father (so I went shopping alone). After hours shopping and spending money, I decided I'd better head home-especially since it was dark and starting to snow/sleet.

(bought more fabric and looked at tv's and a new computer at Best Buy-luv that store!)

Too tired to be nervous; bag is packed! Got show rehearsal in the am....gotta get the coffee pot CRANKED and the timer set.

Have a great time at your exhibition tomorrow--remember the most important thing is that you enjoy yourself! :D

ETA--oops, I guess I mean have a great time today! I was up late to find out the ladies' Olympic team selection.

Kevin Callahan
01-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Sorta on-topic, whenever I need an ego boost, I skate a public session. Freestyle sessions always draw my attention to how new I am at this and how much I have to improve.

Yet, public sessions (especially here in the south!), I'm normally the best skater on the ice. Which granted, doesn't say much to those of us here, but I'm still pleased. Tonight I had no less than three people approach me at the end of the public session and say stuff like "Wow, you're such an amazing skater" and "Are you going to the olympics?" It took me the first couple of times to realize these people are SERIOUS (for awhole I thought they were just being mean/sarcastic).
Am I going to the olympics? Ignorance in the extreme it may be, but what an ego boost!

samba
01-15-2006, 03:33 AM
The very first time I saw myself on video I felt like giving up, however I'm glad to say that I didnt. I now find it a very good tool because my coach sometimes tells me that I'm doing something wrong till she's blue in the face but its not until I see it that I realise just what it looks like, this makes me work much harder to fix it. She now keeps her cell phone in her pocket and does the odd little take to play back to me and just occasionally I am pleasantly surprised, like when I do a straight legged spiral, or a particularly good jump.

Cheers
Grace

starsmom
01-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I did a videotape for the first time, and although my spins were slower than I hoped, and my jumps were smaller than I hoped, I have only been skating for 10 months and I was probably expecting too much. But I also saw that my biggest problems were not enough knee bend and a tendency to lean forward (posture) which is a problem many adult skaters have. And so in my mind when I skate I have "posture, knee bend" in my head, and I can feel the improvement already in my moves in the field. And so my advice is, watch and see what your two biggest problems may have been....maybe knee bend will make everything a little better...Then give it a few weeks and tape it again. Look for improvement and keep going. good luck....

Skate@Delaware
01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, we had our exhibition today and I must say, all in all, it went pretty well. I just watched myself and my daughter on the video and we both are pleased (daughter never gets depressed watching herself-she was tickled pink).

Hubby watched with us (he had to work today) and he really liked our performances.

I can see improvement in my skating from last year (and before then) and I can see where I need to improve. I flubbed my salchow (surprising since that's my best jump) but that's ok. My spiral was very, very good. My spin started crappy, but I managed to save it.

I will put the video up as soon as I can. And I'm burning a dvd for my coach, who did come and watch me and her other student skate, but left just before the end. She was please with me, as well. I'm sure she will have stuff to say next week at lessons....

jazzpants
01-15-2006, 09:02 PM
ETA--oops, I guess I mean have a great time today! I was up late to find out the ladies' Olympic team selection.Hey, S@D... maybe 2010? :P :D

Congrats on your exhibition! How did the bozo that was saying all those mean things about your skating did on his part? (I'll bet he SUCKED!!!) :twisted: :P

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey, S@D... maybe 2010? :P :D

Congrats on your exhibition! How did the bozo that was saying all those mean things about your skating did on his part? (I'll bet he SUCKED!!!) :twisted: :P
2010? Let me put that in my Dayplanner;)

I had a great time-if you want to see the videos, they are up! I posted mine, my daughter's (she is really good for having only skated 1.5 years and never practicing) and that guy, Jim (who did his own choreography for this).

http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/video/

Except for having to adjust my glasses, bailing on my mohawk, 2-footing my salchow (surprise?) and wonking through the toe-loop, my coach and I felt I did well. Lots of work to do now, though!

ENJOY!
Terry

ps-I cut out the 2 minutes of prologue dialogue Jim had at the beginning of his routine-he just stood there while this dialogue was going on and it was soooo garbled we couldn't hear it! I don't know what was up with the hood thing.:?? Keep in mind-his is 70 years old and has been taking lessons for over 4 years. And that's all I'm saying about that.

Hannahclear
01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/video/

Thanks for the video. Your spiral is very nice and you have good posture!

Are you planning on competing in pre bronze?

Skate@Delaware
01-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks! Guess those posture exercises are paying off!! (hate to do them though and I still slouch every so often).

I had planned on testing/competing this year in pre-bronze until reality set in and I realized there was no way I'd be ready. So, the "plan" is to compete no-test this fall at Halloween Classic (with the same routine) then test pre-bronze moves after that.

My poor back edges have really hurt me and held me up from testing so far and I really need that backspin (1/2 revs don't count, I'm told) and a sitspin!

So, look for me on the ISI circuit (Skate Annapolis is a sure thing, as is a thing at Laurel, MD next month).

Hannahclear
01-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks! Guess those posture exercises are paying off!! (hate to do them though and I still slouch every so often).

I had planned on testing/competing this year in pre-bronze until reality set in and I realized there was no way I'd be ready. So, the "plan" is to compete no-test this fall at Halloween Classic (with the same routine) then test pre-bronze moves after that.

My poor back edges have really hurt me and held me up from testing so far and I really need that backspin (1/2 revs don't count, I'm told) and a sitspin!

So, look for me on the ISI circuit (Skate Annapolis is a sure thing, as is a thing at Laurel, MD next month).

I've seen pre bronze skaters compete at a lower level than you are currently at. Give yourself some credit!

Is the no-test option for ISI or USFSA adult?

PML about your mean old man. I watched his video. If he wasn't kidding, he's not in touch with reality. Your level is quite a bit higher than his.

Raye
01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the videos I enjoyed watching all three of you - I thought that you and your daughter did great!! I really like that song that Jim skated to and I see the potential in his choreography. Not bad for a guy of 70 who started skating at age 66. I think he sold himself and all of you short with his mean comment. Especially YOU!!

I have decided to skate in my home ice pop concert, even though I have this fear of skating in front of everyone I know. (Jazz - Annabel; both of you saw me on good days - I still have days in which I SUCK big-time and my main fear is having one of those days on my home ice in front of everyone :oops: ) Will post video afterwards - I think it's in Mid February.

e-skater
01-16-2006, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Skate@Delaware]2010? Let me put that in my Dayplanner;)

I had a great time-if you want to see the videos, they are up! QUOTE]

Thank you Terry for sharing! I think you have good posture, and you are getting flow too. I think you were sold short by your "friend"....... :twisted:

At the risk of sounding sanctimonious and self-righteous, just my opinion but I think most adult skaters are constantly working at improving their skating, no matter what their level. Most of the adult skaters I know are aware of many of their weak points, bad habits, etc. Keeping that in mind, don't let anyone tell you there is anything wrong with your skating --- even if it's in the "we" form of mean comment you received from your "4 years of lessons" friend. Which it appears he totally was NOT joking.

Glad you had a great time, and thanks again!

Skate@Delaware
01-17-2006, 07:31 AM
I've seen pre bronze skaters compete at a lower level than you are currently at. Give yourself some credit!

Is the no-test option for ISI or USFSA adult?

PML about your mean old man. I watched his video. If he wasn't kidding, he's not in touch with reality. Your level is quite a bit higher than his.

The no-test is USFSA and will be at the Halloween Classic this October. I will be skating Artistic (don't know # level yet) for ISI this season. My first competition will be next month in Laurel, MD. I'm excited/scared when I think about it! I've only done shows up to this point. They are lots of fun!

Right after the Halloween Classic, I will be taking my pre-bronze test (moves). I'm hoping by then my toe-loop will be fixed:halo: and I can take my pre-bronze freestyle. Then I can work on bronze stuff. That's the plan, anyway. I would like to go to Nationals in '07.

Jim is just plain weird....:roll:

My daughter had a ton of fun with her routine and loved skating totally by herself. She said we have created a "solo monster!"

Raye: Good luck with yours and remember-breathe and have fun with it!

Hannahclear
01-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Right after the Halloween Classic, I will be taking my pre-bronze test (moves). I'm hoping by then my toe-loop will be fixed:halo: and I can take my pre-bronze freestyle. Then I can work on bronze stuff. That's the plan, anyway. I would like to go to Nationals in '07.

Just so you know, you don't actually have to do a toe loop for pre bronze freestyle. The requirement is two jumps, either half or single revolution.

So you could do a waltz and a salchow and be all set.

sk8pics
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Just so you know, you don't actually have to do a toe loop for pre bronze freestyle. The requirement is two jumps, either half or single revolution.

So you could do a waltz and a salchow and be all set.

Or a waltz and a half flip, which is what I did on my pre-bronze test.

Good luck with everything, Terry!

MusicSkateFan
01-17-2006, 04:18 PM
When you realize you stink? My answer is.......SKATE FASTER!!!! That is what I tell myself. When I saw my video of Halloween(my first competition) I just had to tell myself.....SKATE FASTER!!!

jazzpants
01-17-2006, 11:13 PM
When you realize you stink? My answer is.......SKATE FASTER!!!! That is what I tell myself. When I saw my video of Halloween(my first competition) I just had to tell myself.....SKATE FASTER!!!Yeah??!?! I've tried that!!! Now my coaches says "Well, at least you don't skate like a slug now..." :lol:

Just can't win with those coaches... :roll: :giveup:

Mel On Ice
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
It seems it always comes down to the video replay, doesn't it? :evil: I competed for the first time ever in June, 2001. I was so nervous, but managed to get through it. I felt like Kwan, swooping, elegant, masterful.

Six months later, my friend came to visit for a competition and brought the tape from our comp. Instead of an elegant, graceful skater, I saw a terrified woman tripping over her toepicks. Not the kind of thing you wanted to see as a confidence builder right before my second-ever competition.

Instead of freaking out, I replayed it to see what I felt I did wrong. Lack of speed and confidence for sure. I also noted what I did right and went from there.

Skate@Delaware
01-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I see improvement in my skating between videos (I have vids of the ice shows I've been in as well as the exhibition skate).

The biggest thing that helps us to improve is our openness to suggestions and willingness to improve! We, as adult skaters, are more open to criticism (positive and negative) and are able to put it to good use, work on it, and actually improve, instead of stomping off the ice in a huff and giving up and crying (I've seen this happen).

This really sets us apart from the kids. And, instead of only focusing on the "fun" elements that we really like to do, we work hard on improving those things that aren't fun (CW crossovers and back insides edges for me).

Kevin Callahan
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I see improvement in my skating between videos (I have vids of the ice shows I've been in as well as the exhibition skate).

The biggest thing that helps us to improve is our openness to suggestions and willingness to improve! We, as adult skaters, are more open to criticism (positive and negative) and are able to put it to good use, work on it, and actually improve, instead of stomping off the ice in a huff and giving up and crying (I've seen this happen).

This really sets us apart from the kids. And, instead of only focusing on the "fun" elements that we really like to do, we work hard on improving those things that aren't fun (CW crossovers and back insides edges for me).

Well, as adult skaters, I think we're more able to see the end result as a method requiring small steps along the way that may not be so desirable on their own merits. I hate to return to my economic metaphor, but we recognize the investment as personal, and we're focused on long-term returns. Since this is our experience from other areas in our life like professional education or careers, we don't have a problem applying it to other aspects of our lives, such as skating.

And CW crossovers still kills me. Too many years of public sessions. CCW and I zip along doing all sorts of moves. The other way? Yes, I can do it, but it isn't much fun. :cry:

phoenix
01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
.....instead of stomping off the ice in a huff and giving up and crying.

Yah, I always stay & keep working while I'm crying! :mrgreen:

Skate@Delaware
01-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Yah, I always stay & keep working while I'm crying! :mrgreen:
I wait until I get home:P (just kidding) I only cried once and that was when I fell.

Luckily, my private coach is very good with handing out the criticism-it's never overtly negative. She always brings it out with the "can you try it again, this time do it this way" approach. I've never heard her say anything negative about anyone or anything (at least at the rink). I'm harder on myself.

I'm "coaching" my husband tomorrow (at his request) and he wants a tough lesson-freestyle and dance :twisted: so I had him agree that on the ice we would be student and instructor-not hubby and "the woman" (actually, he calls me with witch but I don't know why:halo: ) He thinks he is worse than he really is-he just doesn't see how much he has improved-he tends to beat himself up over small things instead of focusing on the BIG PICTURE!!

I'm bringing the video camera so he can see himself on video (and so I can claim self-defense)...

sexyskates
01-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah, the first time you see yourself on video is a big blow to the ego. But then you do more of them and watch the improvement. Whenever I feel down about a new video I pull out one from the year before or earlier.... huge difference!
Video is a great tool to really SEE that you need to bend those knees and stand up straight, and that your coach is not crazy telling you to correct these things (I thought I WAS bending my knees, but apparently NOT).
Bear in mind that you will look very SLOW on video because the camera is following you. Sometimes the overall picture of your skating will look better on a video that is shot from farther away so that the ice coverage and flow is appreciated (in my case, the farther away the better). But for learning you do want to see all the mistakes.

sunshinepointe
01-18-2006, 05:54 PM
]
Video is a great tool to really SEE that you need to bend those knees and stand up straight, and that your coach is not crazy telling you to correct these things (I thought I WAS bending my knees, but apparently NOT).

Amen sister - and, conversely I realized that when my coach was telling me that me knees were bent in my spirals that he wasn't crazy then either. Stupid coaches, always being right :roll: ;)

aussieskater
01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah??!?! I've tried that!!! Now my coaches says "Well, at least you don't skate like a slug now..." :lol:

Just can't win with those coaches... :roll: :giveup:

I'm so with you on that one...I get "my God, her hair's moving!!" when I try to speed up. (And no, I don't use gel etc to create a helmet hair style - it's soft, fine and floppy, and doesn't take much to move it around. Hmmm.)

Figureskates
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
I came to the realization that I stink as a figure skater a few years back.

After a few years of lessons, I just don't stink as bad. The important thing is that I AM having fun!

renatele
01-19-2006, 07:49 PM
(just noticed this now)

And renatele, you don't suck overall either! :D I was at the adult skating clinic this summer, so I've seen you in action on the ice.

Awww thanks! (I'm trying hard not to disagree with you, LOL).

BTW do you know if they are going to do it this year?

doubletoe
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
WARNING! Female adult skaters are advised NOT to watch their skating videos when premenstrual!

Big, big mistake I made this week! I have been seriously depressed since watching the video my husband took of my practice on Monday, and I can't seem to snap out of it, no matter how much chocolate I eat. :(

jazzpants
01-19-2006, 08:09 PM
WARNING! Female adult skaters are advised NOT to watch their skating videos when premenstrual!

Big, big mistake I made this week! I have been seriously depressed since watching the video my husband took of my practice on Monday, and I can't seem to snap out of it, no matter how much chocolate I eat. :(Better than me. I don't even LIKE seeing my videos. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/g025.gif (I know I should too!!!)

EastonSkater
01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
My friend and I brought the video camera to the rink today...

Well....it's good for a start that you admit that you completely suck at skating. And of course, that was actually a joke. I seriously doubt that your skating is unacceptable or anything like that. But that's what a video camera is for right? It's for self feedback, and a way that you can analyse your movements, so that you can correct them for yourself....with time.

You reckon your spinning isn't that good. Then out comes the spin trainer device, right? The video is your friend...not your enemy.

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I recall hearing that one of the elite skaters doesn't even watch herself on video (can't remember who) because she doesn't like what she sees. We are not alone in that respect. I think it's like why beat ourselves up even more...we do that enough already.

We are our own worst critics! (ok, maybe our coach is, at times). But, isn't that why we keep coming back-there is always something more to improve on? That is the folly of "sport" ;)

EastonSkater
01-20-2006, 07:07 AM
I recall hearing that one of the elite skaters doesn't even watch herself on video (can't remember who) because she doesn't like what she sees. We are not alone in that respect. I think it's like why beat ourselves up even more...we do that enough already.

Hard to say whether that's insecurity or something else. Maybe she should wear a bag over her head only for the video occasions. That should be able to alleviate the stress of seeing herself.

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Hard to say whether that's insecurity or something else. Maybe she should wear a bag over her head only for the video occasions. That should be able to alleviate the stress of seeing herself.
Or have someone secretly video her (during practice) then slip the tape in during "family hour" and see what happens! Could be quite funny, actually!

Hey EastonSkater, do you skate in Easton, Maryland?

jenlyon60
01-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Better than me. I don't even LIKE seeing my videos. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/g025.gif (I know I should too!!!)

I HATE seeing myself on video. I let my coach watch it if someone videos my tests or whatever. Of course, I also HATE having my picture taken... would rather be the photographer than the victim.

EastonSkater
01-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Or have someone secretly video her (during practice) then slip the tape in during "family hour" and see what happens! Could be quite funny, actually!

Hey EastonSkater, do you skate in Easton, Maryland?

Skate@delaware ..yeah heheheh.... that'd be hilarious as she wonders why that skater looks like her.

No no ...I skate in North Queensland, Australia. I used to skate in Colorado, USA. ...in Boulder, CO.

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Darn, I thought I'd found another skater close (really close) by.

It'd be really funny if she thought (while watching the video) that the skater who looked like her was crappy 8O (as we all think of ourselves)

I realized wile watching my video that my shoulders seem really really broad (I know they are) and I should wear a different cut of dress. Maybe I'll wear it tonight and see what my coach thinks. I think I look like a linebacker...

My hubby and I worked on a dance move last night and I will have to pump a bit more iron at the gym but we did this one move where I put my foot on his skate and lean back-hard to describe but it was on that ice dancing with celebrities (British) show and we realized we could do it (with practice). When we do it on ice, we will video. May be a month or so....

VegasGirl
01-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Better than me. I don't even LIKE seeing my videos. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/g025.gif (I know I should too!!!)

I on the other hand find it a great help to see my videos since it does show how I have improved and thus encourages me to keep going and try for more! :) Not to mention that it shows me where I need improvement and I can see what my coach means when he tells me how to improve.

Mrs Redboots
01-21-2006, 05:05 AM
My hubby and I worked on a dance move last night and I will have to pump a bit more iron at the gym but we did this one move where I put my foot on his skate and lean back-hard to describe but it was on that ice dancing with celebrities (British) show and we realized we could do it (with practice). When we do it on ice, we will video. May be a month or so....The third adult couple at our rink (we're the 2nd; all 3 were on the ice this morning) are learning that move, too. Their coach calls it "The Titanic" because in an ideal world you look like Kate Winslet in the film.

mikawendy
01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
(just noticed this now)

Awww thanks! (I'm trying hard not to disagree with you, LOL).

BTW do you know if they are going to do it this year?

I haven't heard whether the Aston seminar for adult skaters will be done again this year. The Ice Works FSC web site doesn't mention anything. Maybe starskate 6.0 or hippo know?

Skate@Delaware
01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
The third adult couple at our rink (we're the 2nd; all 3 were on the ice this morning) are learning that move, too. Their coach calls it "The Titanic" because in an ideal world you look like Kate Winslet in the film.
Yeah, "The Titanic" is a good name for it--he dropped me on the kitchen floor the first time, so we moved to the carpet in the bedroom and he dropped me there too.....:giveup:
So, it will be some time before we can do it on ice (not as soft as carpeting!)
It's cool, though and we can't wait to do properly, probably in the fall (need to talk to the pairs coach)

RE: Edge Workshop
I hope they do it again!!! We had such a good time last year, even though we didn't participate in everything (and hubby didn't participate at all). So we are planning on attending, (hubby and daughter also).

Mrs Redboots
01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, "The Titanic" is a good name for it--he dropped me on the kitchen floor the first time, so we moved to the carpet in the bedroom and he dropped me there too.....:giveup: Reminds me of the first lift we had, and the Husband kept dropping me on the ice (he still does, occasionally, but I usually land on my feet these days - back then, I tended to end up rolling on the ice), and the coach saw us and all he said was, "I'm so glad to see you two are pushing your boundaries a bit!" Husband hasn't dared try our latest lift on the ice yet; I hope we will on Tuesday. Mind you, there is no way in the universe I could ever get my blade to touch my head, the way the elites have to.... not even sure I could actually grab my blade! Might try, though - anything to stop me looking like a sack of potatoes.... I was so disappointed when I saw a snap of us!

Don't forget that the first rule of ice dance is that, whatever happens, it's always the man's fault.

Skate@Delaware
01-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Don't forget that the first rule of ice dance is that, whatever happens, it's always the man's fault.
Isn't it always his fault-in anything???:lol:

Have fun with your lift! I can barely grab my blade but it isn't pretty:frus: