View Full Version : Sore Bum - Help Needed!

mskater
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
If there's anywhere on the net I can get specific advise for my current ailment I figured it would be skatingforums:] Here's the deal, I fell in practice 2 weeks ago and hit/injured my left hip/bum. So, it was very bruised and formed what I guess is called a hematoma. About a week later, I was able to resume skating with minimal pain. Then, several days later (while cooking dinner) the area cramped and tightened up and is now back to being very painful. Anybody know what happened? Also, any tips on how to remedy?

-Cheers!

NoVa Sk8r
01-12-2006, 11:26 AM
If there's anywhere on the net I can get specific advise for my current ailment I figured it would be skatingforums:] Here's the deal, I fell in practice 2 weeks ago and hit/injured my left hip/bum. So, it was very bruised and formed what I guess is called a hematoma. About a week later, I was able to resume skating with minimal pain. Then, several days later (while cooking dinner) the area cramped and tightened up and is now back to being very painful. Anybody know what happened? Also, any tips on how to remedy?

-Cheers!Get thee to a doctor! (And YOU were cooking?! 8O :P )

mskater
01-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey, no comments from the peanut gallery!!!;]

phoenix
01-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Second the doctor recommendation. I had a similar injury 2 years ago--I fell on the left side of my hip. They gave me wonderful anti-inflammatory pills which were heavenly :halo: . They also sent me to physical therapy for a month, which helped a lot. After which, however, it still was very bothersome, so I found a chiropractor who does physical therapy, who I still see regularly to keep it from flaring up. In my case, there is still scar tissue that gets everything stuck & hurting if I don't keep it stretched & active. (last flare-up was a result of not skating for 2 weeks)

I hope yours is not as bothersome!! It's a drag to have something like that.

dbny
01-12-2006, 11:51 AM
For temporary relief until you get that doctor's appointment, I recommend 400-600mg ibuprofen. That would be two or three over the counter pills. If your stomach is sensitive, take the ibuprofen with food. You should take it two or three times a day, as it needs to build up in your bloodstream for max relief.

InsideAxel
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I know this girl who had something very, very similar happen. You should talk to her...want her e-mail? ;)

Kelton

mskater
01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
She was probably faking the injury;]

MichTheSkater
01-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Probably the best thing to do is take some time off. Too bad its during competition season.

The Ice Demon
01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Yep I agree, go see a doctor if it is that painful. It's hard to understand exactly where you're hurt but it may be something simple like your sciatic nerve pinching on top of bruising?? Just my 2c.

mskater
01-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice - much to my chagrin, I've made an appointment this afternoon with my Dr. I've had similar injuries and I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to "take it easy" until I heal. But, better to be safe than sorry I suppose. I think the reason for my disquietude was that after first injuring myself, I got better and then summarily regressed - and for no apparent reason?

Very unfortunate for me that this is happening during the competitive season - Sectionals are only a month away!:(

phoenix
01-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice - much to my chagrin, I've made an appointment this afternoon with my Dr. I've had similar injuries and I'm pretty sure he'll tell me to "take it easy" until I heal. But, better to be safe than sorry I suppose. I think the reason for my disquietude was that after first injuring myself, I got better and then summarily regressed - and for no apparent reason?

Very unfortunate for me that this is happening during the competitive season - Sectionals are only a month away!:(

If your doctor can't help you, please pursue it more yourself! Find a PT, chiropractor, or massage therapist who works with athletes. After I did physical therapy for a month, I'd gained back *some* flexibility and wasn't in much pain walking around in every day life anymore, & that was enough for them & they sent me on my way. But I needed a lot more flexibility & strength from that hip than a 'normal' person, & I still needed help with it. And it still was achey, and by 5 months later I'd pretty much resigned myself to living with discomfort.

It was only when I was at my chiropractor's for something unrelated, & I happened to mention the hip injury--he checked it out & started working on it. It took several months to completely get it so I rarely feel it skating, but it started improving immediately. It was SO worth the time & investment to be pain free!

Many people don't realize chiropractors aren't just for back problems--in fact last time I was in to see mine I was joking that I've never actually been in for him to look at my back!! He's helped me w/ ankle injuries, shoulder injuries, & my hip. They have lots of training in diagnosing injuries to the entire body, and are approaching your care from a maintenance & long term use angle. And my luck is that mine did his training at a physical therapy center, so he combines the two treatments, I think with greater success than only chiropractic alone. He's not doing joint adjustments on me at all for my hip--it's all deep tissue work (OUCH!!), stretching, & strengthening exercises.

roxystarskater
01-14-2006, 10:22 AM
That happened to me a few months ago. I think I injured my hip socket, and I couldn't skate for a few weeks. Unfortunately, one of the only cures is to stay OFF the ice. It is very hard not being able to skate, but if you take the chance of injuring further, it could turn into a break.
Good Luck!
Cat

mskater
01-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Went to the Dr. on Friday and after examination and several x-rays, I've got a clean bill of health. So, when it comes to falling on one's arse on the ice, I'm now an expert IMO;] The Dr. gave me some motrin and print-out copies of stretches to do for my hip.

With Sectionals around the corner, I'm going to take this coming week to try and break in my new boots by stroking around on publics and such. Hopefully I'll be able to start program run-throughs next week(((crosses fingers))).

Hmm, mayhap I could petition for a spot at Nationals - "Kween" style? :]