View Full Version : Looking for advice or something rather

Mercedeslove
01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I have never taken a lesson in my life. However, when it comes to ice skating I have taught myself a waltz jump, and a lutz jump. (I usually end up on my butt)

I really haven't been on ice in about six years or so, for Christmas my fiance bought me a pair of Jackson figure skates. With a rink that is only walking distance from my house I have been going there almost every chance I get.

I can do a two foot spin, though it's not very sexy, and I've been working on my one foot spin. (Also not sexy) I get around about one or two times, before I either get scared, or begin to lose my blance.

So is there any advice on how I can do this a little better, and maybe teach myself to do spins that aren't unsexy.

Same with my lutz...when I was younger (16 years old and so) I had no problem. Suddenly it's like I have developed Early-onset "skating" alzheimer's and I cannot seem to remember how to do it.

I've been watching videos over and over...then trying to apply that on the ice. Sadly it looks easier then it really is.

I'm not looking to compete, just to have fun, and do some tricks here and there.

Thanks ahead of time.

sunshinepointe
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
A waltz and a lutz? That's a strange self-taught combination. I'd say get a coach and work on the basics including the flip and loop (toe loop and salchow before then really) and then work on the lutz. Just my opinion though - the lutz is a tough jump that needs a nice foundation.

yogurtslinger
01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
A waltz and a lutz? That's a strange self-taught combination. I'd say get a coach and work on the basics including the flip and loop (toe loop and salchow before then really) and then work on the lutz. Just my opinion though - the lutz is a tough jump that needs a nice foundation.

The flip and the lutz are the easiest jumps for me too... it just feels right to me. The salchow otoh.. 8O always feels weird. And the loop is so hard to feel like I'm getting a good push off or a lot of height. So, I guess it just varies by the person. It always struck me as odd that judges count the lutz as the hardest jump, 2nd to the axel.

As for the original post, I recommend a book called Figure Skating: Championship Techniques, by John Misha Petrokevich. It explains how to do the basics and also has a section on each type of jump (even a toe walley!). Lots of pictures and also, very good tips on what to do and what NOT to do for each maneuver.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568000707/qid=1137035088/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-8220930-5636948?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Also, if you can, take a class some time and work with a coach. Having a real person there to critique and give you pointers is invaluable.

Good luck and have fun!

Mercedeslove
01-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I think it's the lutz. I take off on my left foot, do a half rotation then land on my left foot, quickly followed by my butt.

I'd get a coach, I want one. However, seeing as how I live almost paycheck to paycheck...it's definitely not an option at the moment. :-(

So for now, I try to get help...or tips/words of encouragement from other skaters.

TashaKat
01-12-2006, 12:47 AM
It depends what you want to do. If you want to skate *properly* (even for fun) then you need to find a way to get lessons whether it be in a group or private. There is not way on earth that anyone can learn correct technique solely from a book or a DVD. There are too many variables, too many subtleties and not enough eyes to correct your mistakes.

Take, for example, your 'lutz'. Are you taking off from an inside or an outside edge? The edge that you take off from will make it a different jump, for example. I'm a bit confused, though, if you're taking off, rotating half a turn and landing on your butt ... are you taking off from forwards or backwards? If you're taking off from backwards (lutz entry) then it would be difficult to land on your butt from half a turn as you'd be landing forwards.

If, however, you're just doing it for fun I'd still say to try and take at least some group lessons, which are usually cheaper and more accessible. The better your basic skating is, the better your skills further down the line and, also, less potential for injury.

Sadly it looks easier then it really is.

You've got it in one! The art of skating is to make it look easy. The addiction of skating is that you're never quite good enough, there's always something new to learn, there's always a mistake to correct.

TashaKat
01-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Oh, and re the financial side of it, it CAN be done. I know because I've done it when I lost my job. Instead of paying for sessions on the ice why not put that money towards group lessons? You may get less time on the ice and though time on the ice is very important so is learning the proper skills :) You'll advance much quicker and learn so much more.

Skate@Delaware
01-12-2006, 09:10 AM
What one of our girls is doing is taking "lessons" from one of our really good skaters (has her doubles and footwork to die for) in exchange for work her mom can swap for. It's a mutually agreed thing (I think it's taxes or payroll or something). Seems to be working.

Another girl is exchanging babysitting services for private coaching from a coach.

Sometimes, you have to really stretch to find a way to make it work. I've swapped sewing costumes for lessons for my daughter!

luna_skater
01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I think it's the lutz. I take off on my left foot, do a half rotation then land on my left foot, quickly followed by my butt.

For a CCW lutz jump (i.e., landing on your right foot), you are gliding backwards on your left outside edge, then pick in with your right foot, rotate once in the air, and land on your right foot.

MichTheSkater
01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I think you should get one or 2 lessons from a real coach.. Then you will know the basics. And then you can practice them yourself.

I like all the jumps.. i have a problem with my lutz though. ever since i was about 7 i have been doing Flutz's ( A lutz on an inside Edge *BAD*) haha so now with my double its even hard to fix it.. I find it very hard to rotate it. I can do a very nice Flutz double Loop:) but i need to fix it so it becomes a LUTZ again:D

CrossedBlades
01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree with the above posters - a few lessons with a coach would probably be beneficial. To keep costs down, look at different coaches - my rink allows different coaches to set different prices - and consider a half-hour or even 15-minute lesson. You can still get a lot done in a short time. Even if you can't take lessons on a super-regular basis, you might want to try and take one every month or so, as sort of a check-up to keep from developing bad habits that will come back to haunt you later.

Mercedeslove
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM

My fiance said maybe as a valentines day gift we'll look into adult group lessons. It's for people 13 and up. So if I do that...is there anyone here who has been in one of those classes?

Will I be one of the older ones there?

It's not that I don't like kids that age. They some how get attachted to me and look up to me. It creeps me out.

Will there be people older then 25 there? Ones I might be able to relate with?

Then the second part....after the group lessons they do a skating show and everyone who was in the classes are invited to be in the show? Is it worth it? I mean I've kind of always wanted to do something like that, but I don't wanna take away from the younger ones or stick out like a sore thumb.

TashaKat
01-13-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm slightly (ahem) older than you and have done group lessons on occasions! Adult group lessons tend to be just that, for adults. I've always found that the teenagers who skate GENERALLY already skate well already and don't do group lessons or have found *alternative* forms of entertainment :)

Mercedeslove
01-13-2006, 12:34 AM
I hope that is the case with this class. It's not just an adult only class.

"Teen/Adult: (Ages 13-above) Accommodates various levels of teen and adult skaters from beginners through advanced."

So I hope that is the case. I know this will sound stupid, but having a person much younger then you skating circles around you (no pun intended) isn't very encourging to ones self esteem.

TashaKat
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
So I hope that is the case. I know this will sound stupid, but having a person much younger then you skating circles around you (no pun intended) isn't very encourging to ones self esteem.

I used to skate with predominantly kids/teenagers who were WAAAY better than me. I loved it, much preferred it to the 'adult' (as in age) sessions. The kids were so helpful and so supportive, I really enjoyed it. They used to come to our test sessions and competitions and cheer us on, they were brilliant. So ... I wouldn't worry too much if there are some kids in your class :)