View Full Version : Advice on Blades & Boots

Rusty Blades
01-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi ya'll! (I posted this elsewhere but it was suggested I post it here.)

I skated in the 1960's and early 70s, Ladies and Dance - not a contender for a Provincial placement but good enough to do well locally. My spins and jumps were pretty good and I was pushing triples when I wrecked.

Anyway, after 32 years, I decided it's time I got back on the ice and need to think about boots and blades.

Factors in selecting blades & boots will be:
- I know I will never be competing again (unless there's a fossils category) but will be doing more than just skating in an oval
- I will retire from my day job shortly and probably be skating 10 hours or more per week
- I seriously doubt I'd find a Dance partner again at my age
- I still have very strong legs and I know I am not going to be able to resist jumps once I get my basics down again (If I am going to bounce, I'll do it before I get much older! :roll: )
- I will probably be doing 1/2 my skating outside on COLD ice

So, you experienced skaters out there, what should I be looking for and what should I avoid? What will give me good service and let me do what I want to do?

Thank you all!

Dianne

Raye
01-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi ya'll! (I posted this elsewhere but it was suggested I post it here.)

I skated in the 1960's and early 70s, Ladies and Dance - not a contender for a Provincial placement but good enough to do well locally. My spins and jumps were pretty good and I was pushing triples when I wrecked.

Anyway, after 32 years, I decided it's time I got back on the ice and need to think about boots and blades.

Factors in selecting blades & boots will be:
- I know I will never be competing again (unless there's a fossils category) but will be doing more than just skating in an oval
- I will retire from my day job shortly and probably be skating 10 hours or more per week
- I seriously doubt I'd find a Dance partner again at my age
- I still have very strong legs and I know I am not going to be able to resist jumps once I get my basics down again (If I am going to bounce, I'll do it before I get much older! :roll: )
- I will probably be doing 1/2 my skating outside on COLD ice

So, you experienced skaters out there, what should I be looking for and what should I avoid? What will give me good service and let me do what I want to do?

Thank you all!

Dianne

Dear Dianne

WELCOME BACK TO SKATING !!!!!!!

First off, don't write off competing quite yet, many of us on this board are adult competitors in our pre-retirement and retirement years. There is no such thing as too old!!! Yes there ARE categories for us.

Right now, work is what pays for skating, not only for myself, but for my seven year old grandaughter as well (plus Ballet for the 5-year-old). Once I am in a position to pay for all this without working, I will be retiring so that I can skate at least 10 hours a week....

There are also male skaters in our age group, so you might just score a dance partner for the occasional competition - I managed to connect with a male partner for a competition in Ottawa this past fall - but they ended up cancelling our event because we were the only couple entered... (sigh) oh well, next time....

It took a very short time for me to get back all my half jumps, I had the salchow and toe loop back before the end of my first year, but the flip and the loop, I am finding challenging. I am competing in Solo Dances at the Senior Bronze or Junior Silver level. It came easier 30 years ago, so if it takes you a little time, please be patient with yourself - it DOES come back eventually.

There's LOTS of clothing available for those of us that have to skate in COLD places. Check out the thread "What to Wear" to start....

As for boots and blades, there are lots of discussions regarding these on this board so I won't go into that here.

Welcome to the community and, since I am, admittedly, the biggest Competition Junkie here, I hope to meet you in person at a competition in the not too distant future.....

Sincerely, Raye

Rusty Blades
01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes there ARE categories for us.

You've GOT to be kidding??!! You mean there are other oldsters out there still trying to see how high we can bounce! 8O

Solo Dances at the Senior Bronze or Junior Silver

You know they have changed the whole system of categories/classes/grades since I was last involved and I haven't got a clue about the new system!

As for boots and blades, there are lots of discussions regarding these on this board so I won't go into that here

Oh, didn't see them - I'll look again.

Hope to meet you once day!

jp1andOnly
01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
yes, there is an adult canadian championship now. Minimum age is 25, oldest age is limitless. Groups are arranged according to age and level. It's a ton of fun. Eveyrone cheers each other on. Its amazing acutally

SkatingOnClouds
01-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Waahh!!
I wanna move to Canada or USA !!!!

Raye
01-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi Rusty Blades:

I don't know how to cut and paste on this forum but if you enter the following title in the 'Search' function above, there is a wealth of information in the three threads that come up.

Poll: Boots & Blades

As for competitions: There are plenty of competitons in Canada, US and Europe that have adult categories. Some competitions are mixed Adult Stream with Kid Stream, and other competitions are only adults. I have been to quite a few of them, and am in the process of deciding which ones I will go to this year.

Been to: Skate SanFransisco, Peach Classic, Oberstdorf, Mountain Cup, Canadian Adult Nationals, BC Adult Provincials, Western Regional Adult Challenge, Autumn Skate in Ottawa...

Going to in 2006: Halloween Classic, Vana Talllinn, Mountain Cup and Oberstdorf, Edmonton, Victoria BC... so far, and possibly at least one or two more in the States.

Rusty Blades
01-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks Raye!

GREAT thread on peoples experiences ith different boots and blades! This should work, I think: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514&highlight=boots+blades

From what I was reading, I was really leaning toward Jackson Comp. boots and MK Pro blades to get back on the ice - seems a reasonable choice based on what people are happy with.

I looked at the prices and through "My! That's a lot of money!" Then I thought back to the last pair I bought (about 1966) that cost me about $400 when I was making $75 a week - I realized that would be a $3,000 pair of skates today! I guess I can pry out the money for Jackson/MK :roll:

jazzpants
01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Waahh!!
I wanna move to Canada or USA !!!!Don't despair! At my home rink each year, we have Skate San Francisco! This past year it was sanctioned by Skate Canada and USFSA/ISI, but... anyone can compete!!! We have at least one person joining us from England this year and at least two the previous year. It's really an international event!!! :D It's not Adults National, but we do get a pretty good turnout for adults!!! (Had a *GREAT* time with Raye and Denis this past October in fact!!!)

So get a program together and join us!!! (And BTW, just to get an idea of what Skate SF is like, here's a link (http://www.scsf.org/skatesf/SkateSF2005/skatesf2005.htm) to last year's announcement site. Take a look at the entry form (http://www.scsf.org/skatesf/SkateSF2005/SkateSF2005EntryForm-Combined.pdf) to see what level/group you're likely to enter in.) Keep an eye for this board around Sept timeframe for notices. (I will likely be posting on this board for this since it's my home rink/club.) ;)

[Added note: Raye, your "Canadian hug" teddy bear is now sitting on top of my monitor at home with a fluffy stuffed dog to keep it company! :) ]

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2006, 12:58 PM
You've GOT to be kidding??!! You mean there are other oldsters out there still trying to see how high we can bounce! 8O Indeed, and competing internationally, too, in adult competitions. Some of us didn't even lace up a pair of skates until we were in our 40s....

Last year, the ISU formally recognised Adult and Masters' Skating as a discipline in its own right. Many countries are now following the USA's lead and holding Adult Championships - and many of the regular posters here are National Champions for their age group and skating level. There's only (technically) ever been one International Championship for adults, the second one happens next June, but there are plenty of international Club competitions, both in Europe and in the USA.

These competitions tend to be open to skaters of all levels, from the most basic Elementary level up to and including past champions, who skate at Masters level. Obviously regulations vary from competition to competition, and from country to country, of course.

The oldest competitive skater I know will be 86 this year - and I hope to have the honour of competing against him and his dance partner in the Alps this May!

Isk8NYC
01-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Take a look at Jackson Competitor skates. It's a blade-and-boot combo that's reasonably priced and is pretty good for sub-axel figure skating. Heat-molded and the blade's not bad, either.

Welcome back to skating and a strange, new world of testing and competitions. US Figure Skating has decided that adults are a lucrative and demanding market. They also revamped their test structure, although you may be able to get "grandfathered" into some levels. Given your dance background, I think you'll like the Moves in the Field testing, which supplanted Figures.

Skate on your own for a bit, getting your "ice legs" back, then look into group lessons. Many rinks offer these lessons for adults and they're an economical way to develop skills and make friends. Scope out the weekday evening or morning sessions: they usually attract the adult skaters. Don't be afraid to say hello or compliment someone -- it's a great way to make friends.

If you strike out with groups (no adults, doesn't fit your schedule) consider taking a weekly short private lesson or a semi-private with a friend. It'll help you regain your skills faster.

Again, welcome back. Let us know if you need any more info.

Skate@Delaware
01-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Some of us didn't even lace up a pair of skates until we were in our 40s....
Amen to that!

Take a look at Jackson Competitor skates. It's a blade-and-boot combo that's reasonably priced and is pretty good for sub-axel figure skating. Heat-molded and the blade's not bad, either.
I have those and they are very good boots, and as others will also tell you, should last you for years. You can also upgrade the blade later, when you want a better blade. The combo should run about $250 or so (maybe even less).

Skate on your own for a bit, getting your "ice legs" back, then look into group lessons. Many rinks offer these lessons for adults and they're an economical way to develop skills and make friends. Scope out the weekday evening or morning sessions: they usually attract the adult skaters. Don't be afraid to say hello or compliment someone -- it's a great way to make friends.
I've made many friends that way-of all ages (6 years to 72 years!) And hockey skaters, also!

dblflutz
01-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Rusty Blades....welcome back to this wonderful world!

I too had been off the ice for about 16+ years and at 41 trying to re-live my childhood per say... let's just say it's not like riding a bike all over again... I have my share of bumps and bruises along the way over the past 2 years. It took a while to get back into the swing of things, so my only advise is to start off easy!

In the 2 years that I've been back, I've produced a preliminary skater out of my oldest (10), and now my youngest (4) want's to be just like Sasha C. and is competing next month at a tot level. I have been reunited with several old blasts from the pasts whom have made such wonderful names for themselves....."who would of thought" has been my moto for the past couple of years.

What I love most these days is being back on my terms now and not moms....LOL, and my goal is to land all of my doubles again by 50 (getting there!). I find that my feet have been ruined from my past of wearing skates majority of my previous skating life that just were not meant to be, so I have invested in SP Teri custom boots. I feel that Reidell's are a good boot to put an old familiar friend (foot) into, to start off with...and Klingbeil's are an awesome boot as well! But now a days there are so many good boots, it's what ever you feel most comfortable in.

Welcome to this site, as everyone have been wonderful and supportive! Lot's of good advise and information from everyone! :)