View Full Version : New Temporary Skates

Kevin Callahan
01-08-2006, 12:42 AM
As you know, I am patiently waiting on a large check to come through so I can purchase my SP Teri's. It could be anywhere between a week and a month before it does. Perhaps two on the outside. Yet Tim insisted if I did not get into better boots I was going to seriously injure myself. (I wish you could have seen the look he gave me as he felt the nonexistant support of the boots I was wearing, it was as if he had smelled something bad).

Now, I skate every day, so I took his concerns seriously (besides, why else am I paying him for?). I have, for about six months, been skating every day for at least an hour (sometimes much, much more) on these "recreational" skates, and that includes plenty of waltz jumps. After having been able to study real boots and their support, I am amazed at what I could do in them. Frankly, so is Tim. With a very real possibility of injuring myself, especially as the blades are starting to go from undesigned use and regular sharpening, (they're chipping, rusting, and the chrome is flaking off), I had to consider it was time to get a transition pair of skates. Especially since I know how stiff my SP Teri's are reported to be.

Luck found me a brand new pair of Riedell Blue Ribbon 121 adult beginner skates with spiral blades for a palsy $70 from Dick's Sporting Goods in Frisco, TX. Originally over $120, these skates in my size were left over from the Holiday sales, and was among perhaps seven pairs in the entire store. I slapped them on today and oh what a difference. True, they need to be broken in, and they're certainly far from the quality my Super Teri's will be, but the difference is already night and day. My speed, control, and distance all improved dramatically. My landings were cleaner, my edges were quieter, and my feet seemed more solidly connected with the ice than I think I've ever felt.

If this is what it feels like on beginner skates from a reputable brand, I really can't wait for my SP Teri's! They'll be awesome. "Adapting to bad equipment" is right. :P I hear that it takes about ten days or so to break in new boots. Can someone tell me how many hours of skating that is? And I've also heard wearing them around the house with guards on also helps, is this true?

Oh, and of course, the Riedells are in white. The manager told me that four or so years after opening, they still have never sold a pair of black skates. Perhaps I'll keep them for when I just want to have fun on the ice, and keep the black SP Teri's for lessons, serious practices, and competition. That way I can have my cake and eat it too. :)

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2006, 08:08 AM
I can't say about Reidells, because I have Jackson Competitors. I'd say about 10-15 hours and they felt as though I'd owned them forever! I did have them heat molded about 8 hours into the skating/break-in process because I have bunions.

Just be careful with the skates you have and inspect them about every few days. A woman in my group class had a pair and they separated at the heel down to the ball area. She had them about one year and was doing singles (jumps) in them-they aren't really made for that sort of abuse and the amount of skating she did.

With waltz jumps and spins, I don't think you will have a problem-just keep an eye on them.

Wait till you get your others! You will love them (once they are broken in-which may be a bit more painful since SP-Teris are stiffer than the Reidells you are in now)!!!

stardust skies
01-08-2006, 12:13 PM
You know, if you are only doing waltz jumps...the Blue Ribbons sound like they would be good for you. You might want to consider saving the $$ for when you have at least half of your singles down. Super Teris sound like a lot of boot for what you are doing, which can actually promote injury even more than your previous boots probably could. Too much support is worse than not enough support in figure skates. I'd stick with the Riedells for a while and see if they wouldn't be good for you until you progress some. Even if you skate everyday and do waltz jumps, there's really not much risk of injuring yourself on beginner boots, because waltz jumps are beginner jumps, and that's what the boots are for. There is a risk in stiffer ones, though- in fact no matter what kinds of jumps you are doing, if you get too stiff a boot the weight on the landing doesn't get properly distributed through and it could ruin your hip joints. This is actually a problem with teens and adults mostly, who think that just because they're bigger/taller, they need a stiffer boot, when usually, the opposite is true.

I hope you know I'm absolutely not trying to cut down your achievements, I'm just trying to make you see that you are still at the beginning stages and that therefore beginner boots might be more than enough support for a while, and to save your money for when you'll need something more.

Just my advice.

Kevin Callahan
01-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I hope you know I'm absolutely not trying to cut down your achievements, I'm just trying to make you see that you are still at the beginning stages and that therefore beginner boots might be more than enough support for a while, and to save your money for when you'll need something more.

Just my advice.

Trust me, I know that I'm in the beginning stages, that I'm very far behind and I have quite a bit to catch up on. In fact, I personally call my skating immature for several reasons (and have done so more than once on this forum). Nor would I think that anyone was cutting my achievements down for offering their opinion. Why else would I ask if I didn't want an answer?

Your logic does make sense, however, I didn't randomly say "I want this!" Rather, when I had the fitting, they were recommended to me, and it had to do I believe with power and lower body strength. Anyhow, I went to a professional to get a boot fitting, they gave me a recommendation, and my coach agreed with it. So while I do admit what you say sounds pretty reasonable, there's a reason I'm paying these people and unless they're actually a combined front for SP Teri (the saleswoman I can believe, but Tim?), I think I should listen to them.

dbny
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Dick Button landed the first double Axel in competition wearing boots with no support other than a few layers of leather. Ditto the first triple jump. The support that today's skaters are used to in boots is a pretty modern innovation. Even Riedell Royals of 15 years ago look flimsy compared to today's model.

jazzpants
01-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm a tiny woman compared to you but FWIW...

I had Riedell Gold Medallion boots when I first started and got all the way up to doing salchows and started working on loops (note: started working, NOT get!!! :frus: ) with those boots. When I was getting my skates sharpened, my boot fitter said that I need new boots and blades for what's coming up ahead. (Loops, camels, etc...) and they feel that it was time to move up. Tried Bronze Stars boots and MK Pro blades. The blades worked well enough, but the boots didn't. (Neither did my skating towards the end of life for my Bronze Star boots...) I was injured and my feet were hurting for a while.

I'm now on Harlicks and at least my feet aren't hurting! My skating is still not working as well as I would like, but it IS better. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough support around the ankles for my boots. A year after, my basic skating has significantly improved.

One thing I did learn thru my years of discovery in skating is... YES, you can have TOO STIFF a boot!!! And just b/c you're moving up in skating does not mean that you need a stiff boot to go along with it. If anything, it's counter-productive to go with boots that are too stiff. I've seen at least one young lady's case where she ended up with boots that are way too stiff and she's now out for the skating season. Her boots are WAAAAAY too stiff for her. You should have "some amount" of support, but should also rely on your own strength (of your ankles) instead of your boots for support.

Raye
01-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Dick Button landed the first double Axel in competition wearing boots with no support other than a few layers of leather. Ditto the first triple jump. The support that today's skaters are used to in boots is a pretty modern innovation. Even Riedell Royals of 15 years ago look flimsy compared to today's model.

I have to fully agree with dbny. I still have the 'Top of the Line' skates I bought in 1973. I remember when they were new, and they would probably be totally unacceptable by todays standards. But I was working on Junior Silver Dances, the Axel, Double Sal and Double Toe when I quit in 1978. That's five years of three-to five times a week, followed by 25 years of using them to go to pond-skating and school-outing-skating with my children once or twice a year.

Of course, I bought new skates when I returned to skating two and a half years ago. By then 'old faithfuls' were 30 years old and deserved their well-earned retirement.

CrossedBlades
01-08-2006, 05:54 PM
No advice or opinion to offer, but...
A)The Dick's in Frisco sells Riedell? I'd given up on them, skate-wise. Apparently, I need to visit next time I'm home.
B) Kevin, did you skate at Stonebriar on Fri night? I think I might've seen you. In which case, :waves hello:. If it wasn't you, I guess I'll just wave at some other random chap...

Kevin Callahan
01-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I had to make the manager go into the back. I didn't for a moment believe that a major sports store would only have two pairs of riedells!

And as a matter of fact, I skate at Stonebriar daily because I work at the AMC upstairs during school breaks. So, yes, you probably saw me. I do believe I'm the only college aged male figure skater in Frisco. Or at least I haven't run into any others. I mean, except Luke Chilcott, my coach's son, but he's a former Novice British National Champion, and the son of the Dream Sports store owner. I have yet to run into the latter on the ice, and the former is back to skating after his injury, but he can't do much more than stroke.

...So you're no longer in Frisco? Where are you now? I go back next week to Austin to finish out my degree.

Bothcoasts
01-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with the past posts--if you're happy with your boots and finding that you can work on your elements in them, then save your money and don't move up to a stiffer boot until you really need it. Your feet will let you know when you need a boot with more support.

I had the opposite experience from some of the previous posts. When learning my singles (and skating 20+ hours per week), the pro shop at the rink I skated at recommended Riedell Silver Stars. I had no problems breaking the skates in, but broke them completely down in 6 months. I've been in Riedell Royals ever since-a much stiffer boot that isn't recommended for singles--and haven't had a problem. Anyway, the point of the story is that your feet know what they need the best. The guidelines given by pro shops are just that--guidelines. If you're happy in your skates and they support you during your elements, then in most cases you'll be fine. If your feet bother you and skating is becoming painful, however, then you may want to consider upgrading to a stiffer boot.

Skate@Delaware
01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
My daughter was put in Gams that were basically too low for her and they were (are) broken down within 6 months---we have new ones on order but she has to put up with these until they come in. They also didn't consider the fact that she is a hefty girl and weighs 150 pounds-the boots that she was in were pretty light (she is also tough on her things). For now she is strapping them for extra support. Luckily she doesn't skate as much right now but she was starting on her doubles and had to stop.

All this had me remember my first pair of skates (waaaay back when) and they were a single layer of leather! I didn't have any problems with my ankles or anything-did manage 2-foot spins, crossovers, and small jumps (didn't really know what I was doing-pond skating).

Kevin Callahan
01-09-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree with the past posts--if you're happy with your boots and finding that you can work on your elements in them, then save your money and don't move up to a stiffer boot until you really need it. Your feet will let you know when you need a boot with more support.

At this point I am only about four hours into the breaking in process. I can't yet make a judgement call. Besides, I myself was skating on a pair of boots with very, very little support and managing to do quite a bit, so at this stage I'll have to get used to these boots. There may come a time after they are broken in when I realize why I need something even stiffer. We shall see.

CrossedBlades
01-09-2006, 11:14 AM
You might be suprised at the support in a pair of well-made lower level boots. My current skates are certainly nothing special, but they're plenty stiff and have done pretty well for the singles I've learned thus far (the blades, however, are a different story :evil: ).

Frisco on Friday night was kind of a last hurrah for me, as I'm back in lovely Waco for the new semester. We don't have a rink here, so I'm off ice until I head home :cry: You might've seen me - blond, big gray uni sweatshirt for the last hour-ish - I only puttered a bit, as I was trying to keep my bro and his gf upright.

Kevin Callahan
01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I might have, yes. Sounds like I think I know who you are. So, at Baylor? Well, I invite you down to Chaparral Ice on I-35 in North Austin if you can ever make it down on a weekend or something. Besides, Austin in general a happening place to hang out.

doubletoe
01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
At this point I am only about four hours into the breaking in process. I can't yet make a judgement call. Besides, I myself was skating on a pair of boots with very, very little support and managing to do quite a bit, so at this stage I'll have to get used to these boots. There may come a time after they are broken in when I realize why I need something even stiffer. We shall see.

Sounds like you have a great solution in place and you managed to get a great deal on your skates. Based on the fact that you had practically no support before, it might have been too great a leap to immediately switch to SP Teri's, which are known for their stiffness. Skate in your new skates until you start to feel wobbly in the ankle on your jump landings and pick jump takeoffs. For me, that's always been the sign of boot breakdown. Also, you can buy black boot covers and wear them over your white boots. Boot covers are also useful in that they cover your laces and keep them from catching on anything.

flippet
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Sounds like you have a great solution in place and you managed to get a great deal on your skates. Based on the fact that you had practically no support before, it might have been too great a leap to immediately switch to SP Teri's, which are known for their stiffness. Skate in your new skates until you start to feel wobbly in the ankle on your jump landings and pick jump takeoffs. For me, that's always been the sign of boot breakdown. Also, you can buy black boot covers and wear them over your white boots. Boot covers are also useful in that they cover your laces and keep them from catching on anything.

I agree with this advice. Going straight to SuperTeris at your level, from what you were skating in, would be quite the 'shock' for your feet. Since you have the Riedells, use 'em till they're broken down. They're great for the level you're at, and by the time they break down, you'll be ready for the SuperTeris, level-wise. If you learn at all quickly, I give the Riedells 6 months to a year, depending on how often you skate. When I started taking lessons, I was in Riedell 220s (I don't know the 'star' level for those, now), and they lasted me 6 months of good support, and another 6 months of 'tweaked' support (read: creative tying). I was doing waltz jumps and toe loops by the end of the first 6 months. I then moved into Silver Stars, which were great for another year or so. After that, I moved into my SuperTeris...and those suckers show NO signs of breaking down--they're barely broken in. (Granted, I skate a WHOLE lot less now than I did then, but honestly, the SuperTeris are little blocks of concrete.) Don't get me wrong, I love my SuperTeris, but they really are a stiff boot. I'm sort of hard on my boots, though, and I really like a stiff boot.

Basically, there's no point in 'wasting' the Riedells once your SPTeris come...you'll be in them soon enough, and the Riedells are just right for you now.

Kevin Callahan
01-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Okay, update, and one that confuses me. I'm seven hours (ice time) into breaking in the boots, and I've followed boot FAQs and done the hot water on socks thing, the lacing and unlacing thing, etc, etc. So today, I go out onto the ice. At first, pretty much stiff. I can hardly skate in them. By an hour they were acceptable. By two hours, they felt exactly like the skates I WAS in, even after relacing. I had no problems doing any of the moves I had already learned, although actually I do admit they were all better, especially my waltz jumps. Yet my ankles definitely felt wobbly by the end of the skate. Should I be concerned? Perhaps is this why I was told I need such a stiff boot? I hardly think I can break a pair of boots down in three days. 8O

phoenix
01-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Did you stop to relace them?

Isk8NYC
01-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Don't use the top hook for a few weeks.

Realize that new laces will stretch as you use the skates. You need to stop after 45 minutes or so and untie/retie the skates. That may be why they felt loose/weak.

Any blisters or sore spots?

Kevin Callahan
01-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Did you stop to relace them?

Yes.

Don't use the top hook for a few weeks.

I tried that, and it was definitely too loose when I did, so I finally had to stop doing that.

Realize that new laces will stretch as you use the skates. You need to stop after 45 minutes or so and untie/retie the skates. That may be why they felt loose/weak.

I relaced every hour.

Any blisters or sore spots?

Nope. Not a one, which also surprises me.

phoenix
01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, the no blisters doesn't surprise me, those are pretty soft skates.

Don't know what to tell you, though the Riedell site advertises these as appropriate for through USFS Basic 5, which is not jumping & only doing small spins, so since you are doing some jumping & adding that you are an adult (ie, more weight on the skate), maybe you could indeed be breaking them in/down faster than normal. My first pair of skates (leather, with decent support, but only $50.00) lasted me a month.

Are these made of leather? I couldn't tell from the site.

Bothcoasts
01-10-2006, 02:03 PM
From your posts, it seems like you skated around 3 hours yesterday?

Your ankles may have been wobbly because you skated for such a long period of time in your new boots. When I broke in my Royals, I only skated in them for 1-hr stretches of time to give my feet a chance to adjust. You may want to limit the length of time you're in boots at any one period for now so as not to overuse your muscles as they adjust to new equipment.

Of course, this doesn't deny that your ankles could be tired because there isn't enough support in your boots...but that's another issue.

Kevin Callahan
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Are these made of leather? I couldn't tell from the site.

Yes they are. Soles are plastic though.

Kevin Callahan
01-11-2006, 12:27 AM
From your posts, it seems like you skated around 3 hours yesterday?

<snip>

Of course, this doesn't deny that your ankles could be tired because there isn't enough support in your boots...but that's another issue.

Okay, the eighth hour was interesting, and not in a good sense. The boots feel like they're completely broken in, granted I'm no expert. I'd talk to my coach, but since he's in St Louis for Nats that really isn't a possibility. For the entirety of my time on the ice today the boots felt "normal." That is, they are no longer stiff at all, I can do all the moves I know, and I no longer feel any pressure, certainly no pain, sore spots, or blisters. While this is a "good" thing, it does not sound like the experiences I've been told about with breaking in new boots.

What concerns me the most, however, is that I seem to be losing chunks of the padding on the back of the boot tongues. What's that all about?

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2006, 06:54 AM
If you've been 8 hours in your boots over the last few days then yes, they probably do feel like "your skates" now. It does take about that long, especially for low-level boots.

So I should relax and enjoy them while you have them, and discuss a potential upgrade with your coach when he's back.

Bothcoasts
01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
What concerns me the most, however, is that I seem to be losing chunks of the padding on the back of the boot tongues. What's that all about?

When is the padding coming off? Stiffer boots have more padding than beginner boots, and it can be easy to pull off on some boots. If I pull too hard on my own tongue when I'm putting my foot in my skate, I usually do rip off a chunk of padding. (Well, I have learned not to do this!) Padding shouldn't be falling off when you're skating or gently taking your skates off.

Kevin Callahan
01-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Admittedly, I don't know. Not paying enough attention. I'll make sure to be very gentle with the tongue from now on and assume that I've pulled the chunks off myself. Logically, that makes more sense anyway.

MichTheSkater
01-12-2006, 05:54 PM
NEVER SWITCH BETWEEN 2 SKATES!!! Different skates are made differently. and will feel different on your feet. i suggest you just pick one to wear and if you have to wear two, wear one most of the time. try to switch as little as possible :D

Kevin Callahan
01-14-2006, 11:37 PM
After 12 hours skating, I'm completely unable to keep the Riedells from being wobbly. Tim is still at US Nats (thanks Mom for taping tonight's programs even though I didn't ask you too!) and is not returning my calls. I consulted with other figure skaters and another coach I know and trust in person with the boots present. The conclusion: I have beat the holy hell out of the Riedells this week, and they obviously were not constructed to meet the demand I've put on them for whatever reason. They are not only broken in, they're already breaking down.

I received my check on Thursday and ordered my SP Teri Super Teris this morning. It is now obvious why the saleslady and Tim made the original recommendation they did. The new boots should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the holiday schedule of the post office. I'll keep you updated.

mikawendy
01-15-2006, 12:49 AM
NEVER SWITCH BETWEEN 2 SKATES!!! Different skates are made differently. and will feel different on your feet. i suggest you just pick one to wear and if you have to wear two, wear one most of the time. try to switch as little as possible :D

And to keep yourself from switching, you can put only one pair in your skate bag, leaving the others at home so you won't be tempted to switch. When I was breaking in new skates, I had to do that or I'd've never made the switch so soon.

Kevin Callahan
01-15-2006, 12:54 AM
And to keep yourself from switching, you can put only one pair in your skate bag, leaving the others at home so you won't be tempted to switch. When I was breaking in new skates, I had to do that or I'd've never made the switch so soon.

Well, I don't have much interest in continuing in my Riedells when my SP Teri's arrive. They're getting harder to skate in by the hour as they break down.

flippet
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
The conclusion: I have beat the holy hell out of the Riedells this week, and they obviously were not constructed to meet the demand I've put on them for whatever reason. They are not only broken in, they're already breaking down.

I received my check on Thursday and ordered my SP Teri Super Teris this morning. It is now obvious why the saleslady and Tim made the original recommendation they did.

You must be particularly hard on footwear--some people are. I, myself, would probably break those Riedells down in short order--maybe not quite that fast, though! I took lessons with a lady who had those soft Riedells, and she had been skating in them for over a year, had gone through ISI Delta, and they didn't even have creases! I can't figure out how she managed it. So you never know.

For the interim, have you tried 'butterfly lacing'? That's how I got extra time out of my Riedells after they were past their prime. Lace them up normally (and snugly), but after the bow, loop the bow loops over two or three hooks on each side, snug that up tight, and tie off another bow. I would also sometimes cross-tie (instead of just crossing) at the ankle bend before continuing up the hooks. Every little bit helps.

techskater
01-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Have you used duct tape on the ankle areas once you get them tied? It could get you through a couple sessions

Kevin Callahan
01-16-2006, 09:34 PM
You must be particularly hard on footwear--some people are. I, myself, would probably break those Riedells down in short order--maybe not quite that fast, though! I took lessons with a lady who had those soft Riedells, and she had been skating in them for over a year, had gone through ISI Delta, and they didn't even have creases! I can't figure out how she managed it. So you never know.

I don't necessarily think that's the case. I just think I'm too much for these boots. They're not really meant for jumps. Now if I was 50lbs and seven years old, it might not be a problem to practice my waltz jumps. I weigh more than twice that and despite my low weight I have years of hockey, track, and US Navy physical training that have really toned my lower body muscles. Even on a waltz jump, I get a lot of air (I've managed to catch myself a couple of times mirrored in the glass, so I know just how high). I probably do a waltz jump every couple of minutes or so of practice. I have a routine worked out where I practice all my moves in a row and then repeat. Even in an hour session, that's a lot of jumping, and I usually try to stay on the ice for two or three hours each day. I believe I'm already up to about 15 hours of ice time since I bought these Riedells. That's slightly more than two hours per day, every day for the last week, and the boots show it. They're pretty scratched and creased already. In fact, I've even managed to bleed on them a little. I'm kind of wary of trying to sell them, and they're only a week old! I don't know enough about breaking down boots to know how fine they would be for a skater with less stringent demands.

Of course, I will say this, the blades are in perfect condition. They have yet to need sharpening.

Have you used duct tape on the ankle areas once you get them tied? It could get you through a couple sessions

Actual duct tape? Like the silver kind? I know there's white tape I've seen on other skaters' boots, but I have no idea what kind of support that gives. And as for real duct tape, wouldn't that be a pain to deal with and wouldn't it even possibly mess up the outside of the boots?

phoenix
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
It's called Skate Tape, and yes, I've seen skaters use it to help bolster worn out boots to eake out a few more weeks in them. Uses up a LOT of tape though!

flippet
01-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I've heard of using plain old duct tape, too. If the boots are really that far gone, why worry about what they'll look like, or if the finish will be affected? They're destined for the trash heap in a little while anyway, right? The most important thing is enough support to get you by until your new pair comes in.

Well, the good thing about all of this is, now you know that what feels 'stiff' on first try-on, may actually be much too soft to skate with at your level. Takes experience. Which you now have. ;)

techskater
01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I meant good old fashioned duct tape as it has more tactile strength than skate or electrical tape.