View Full Version : Question for those with Jackson Competitors

CoolbugSuz
01-07-2006, 05:36 PM
OK, just skated today in my new boots & blades. Totally new setup. Went from a too big and too narrow Reidell Bronze Star (10" Coronation Ace blades) to Jackson Competitors that are 1/2 inch shorter than my old boots (but wider, so they fit nice!), and switched to MK Professionals (9 1/2").

The boots and blades will take some getting used to, especially since the MK's have more rocker than the Aces, but probably the only complaint that I can say about the boots is that the tongue seems to be too high in the front. It sticks up about 1/2" above the top of the boot, and seems to be hampering my ability to bend.

Has anyone else noticed this or been aggravated by it? Does it go away? Or is it possible to have the tongue cut down some?

Any ideas or advice?

Suz

sk8guy
01-07-2006, 06:17 PM
After a few sessions you won't even notice the tongue. Getting used to the new blades will just take some patience and time on the ice.

mdvask8r
01-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I had the same problem with my Jacksons. It drove me crazy. Finally took them to a good shoe repair shop and had the tongues cut down. They had a nifty cutting machine that did a very neat & accurate job. I was much happier!

sue123
01-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I've actually never had a problem with the tongue with them. Although I'm getting a pretty nasty case of lace bite now. But overall, I'm really happy with my Jackson's. But getting the tongue cut down a bit if it bothers you isn't a bad idea. Just make sure you go to a good one, and if you go to a shoe repairman, ask if he's ever done something similar before. My dad used to be a shoe repairman and would often have to fix other people's botched jobs, and has done skate adjustments before as well. Unfortunatly, he's closed the store now. But you spent a lot of money ont he skates, you don't want them cut down too much by someone who doens't know what they're doing.

crayonskater
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I've been really happy with mine. Only lace them to the third hook if they're new, though; you'll have enough support while you're breaking them in, but will still be able to achieve decent knee bend.

Elsy2
01-08-2006, 07:12 AM
When I got my new SP Teri's so long ago, I didn't use the top hooks, and never have. The SP teri rep I talked to last told me that was a bad thing.....but I'm just more comfortable not lacing them.

Bunga has a lace bite pad if you need to go that route...

Good luck!

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Except for the few problems I've had with them-I Love my Competitors! I have Coronation Comet blades (extremely flat) which I also love!!!

lace bite--get a gel pad, that will help 100%; either get a Bunga, or get a Dr. Scholl (sp?) 1/2 sole gel pad sold for about $5 for a set of 4, you can put them together if you need to use 2 at a time (I do); when they get nasty you can toss and get a new set they are soooo cheap!
tongue problems--if they persist, get them cut down (many people "modify" their boots, cut them down, shape the foam, etc.)
lacing--don't lace them up to the top right away, give them about 10 hours or so, then go for it and do all the bending you can but don't expect creases to form as these boots are tough cookies!

I've cranked the budget down and ordered a smaller size, much to the consternation of the fitter in the pro-shop who insisted that I stay in the size I'm in now (hello? these are too big!!!) Of course, she had no experience in measuring older folk with bunions (or anyone with bunions)!!! Plus the fact that these are 1/2 size too big (you wouldn't think that it would make that much difference, huh?

CoolbugSuz
01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll give it a week or two of skating to see if it stops bugging me...if not, maybe I'll try a good shoe repair shop to cut them down.

Tomorrow I'm starting my lessons back up, so we'll see how it goes. :)

Suz

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2006, 06:22 PM
And a week or so might be enough time for you to get used to the higher tongues. Or not. I never thought I'd be able to skate without socks or stockings, either.

Have fun at lessons!