View Full Version : Question: Best place for skate gear?

sk8mommy
01-07-2006, 03:07 PM
:?: I need to get a bag, soakers, etc. Where do you find is the best place online to get gear? If I can get it online, I prefer to...supplies are limited in my part of FL, and I'd rather not go all over town.

Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Debbie S
01-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Are you familiar with Skateweb? This is an index site with links to everything skating. For clothing and supplies, try Skateweb's Pro Shop page: http://frogsonice.com/skateweb/business.shtml

This is a very thorough listing of skating products companies. For bags and soakers, you may want to try Rainbo Sports or Skatebuys (both linked in the "General" section, at the top of the page).

Elsy2
01-08-2006, 07:30 AM
The best skatebags are small rolling suitcases. I first had a bag I carried on my shoulder. Will never do that again! Rolling your bag is the way to go.

I've always gotten good fast service from Jenskates.
http://www.jenskates.com/blade_covers.htm

sk8mommy
01-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the links! I'd run across skateweb before in my net travels, but I can never remember the name of those sites. I need to put it in my favorites!

Kathy

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2006, 08:00 AM
I got a nice rolling bag from Walmart for $20. I has an extending handle, outside pockets and extra handles. My soakers I did have to get from Rainbo Sports (along with laces since my pro shop only had hockey stuff).

Elsy2
01-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I always find great bags at TJ Max........just bought my son an Atlantic brand, which has been particularly durable for us.

sue123
01-08-2006, 12:55 PM
At first, I used a bag shaped like skates (anyone know what I'm talking about?) but after I started, ahem, accumulating more stuff, that bag just didn't cut it. I now use a duffel bag which is big enough for my skates, a pair of clothes to change into for class after I skate, extra gloves, extra sweater in case it gets really cold, extra leggings in case mine rip (big fear of mine), water bottles, snacks, towel, soakers, hard guards, knee brace, notebook, lotion, tissues, and a whole lot of other stuff.

And always keep extra socks in your bag. I drove to class after I went skating, and during the day, it was pouring rain. My car of course happened to be parked in a spot that was a spot in the morning but then turned into a lake. I was literally up to my mid calf of water by the time I got into my car. Lucky for me, I had my skate bag with me. So I put on a pair of socks, and even changed my pants from the jeans I was wearing to a pair of yoga pants I had worn skating. Came in handy having my entire life in my skate bag.

nerd_on_ice
01-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Zuca bags (http://www.zuca.com/) are really popular at my rink...but they do not come cheap @ $120! I have already started hinting to my husband to get me one for my birthday. 8-) My stuff is splodging out of the wheeled backpack I've been using. I agree with sue123 about getting a bigger bag than you think you'll need. It seems like the more time I spend at the rink, the more stuff I want to schlep along.

I got my current pair of soakers (Hello Kitty!) from eBay.

mikawendy
01-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Zuca bags (http://www.zuca.com/) are really popular at my rink...but they do not come cheap @ $120! I have already started hinting to my husband to get me one for my birthday. 8-) My stuff is splodging out of the wheeled backpack I've been using. I agree with sue123 about getting a bigger bag than you think you'll need. It seems like the more time I spend at the rink, the more stuff I want to schlep along.

I got my current pair of soakers (Hello Kitty!) from eBay.

I've seen a few skaters with Zuca bags. Some of them find them really handy, but a few skaters have said that once their skates are in the bag, there's not as much room for other stuff as they would like.

I have a Samsonite rolling suitcase (a sporty looking one) that is short and wide. It's just big enough for everything I need to fit in, plus I got it for about 40% off the regular price!

SkatingOnClouds
01-09-2006, 01:30 AM
I just bought Transpak backpack style skate bags for myself and my daughter. I got her the Ice model - which is the cheaper, smaller and more common, and myself the Expo model, much bigger. Now I've seen them the Ice would've been fine for me too.

Both have mesh pockets on the side for the skates, keeping them ventilated and separate from the rest of the paraphenalia I usually end up carrying. I particularly liked that the skates weren't going to be bumped around into each other and everything else. Also, that not everything in the bag could end up being wet. They seem good.

Most of the skaters here use any sort of sports bag to carry their gear.

Karen

Skate@Delaware
01-09-2006, 10:06 AM
At first, I used a bag shaped like skates (anyone know what I'm talking about?) but after I started, ahem, accumulating more stuff, that bag just didn't cut it. I now use a duffel bag which is big enough for my skates, a pair of clothes to change into for class after I skate, extra gloves, extra sweater in case it gets really cold, extra leggings in case mine rip (big fear of mine), water bottles, snacks, towel, soakers, hard guards, knee brace, notebook, lotion, tissues, and a whole lot of other stuff.
I'm the rink "MOM" so I'm known for having extra: bandaids, gloves, candy (yum!), money, food, cd's, etc.....it all wouldn't fit in a small bag!!!