View Full Version : spin poll

froggy
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
here's a fun poll which I'm curious to hear skaters' answers

how long did it take you to do fairly well (I would say master but my coach would disagree as there is always room to improve!) the following elements:

1-foot spin
backspin
scratch spin
sit spin
camel spin
layback spin

me?? my 1-foot spin and sit spin are very close to the stage of utter helplessness but I won't give up!

happy skating to all!

skate1965
01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Even though I skated for three years as a child, I do not remember ever learning a back spin. As an adult it was the hardest thing I've ever learned. It has taken me almost three years to learn it, do it, and start to feel confident about it.

Raye
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Returned to skating after a twentysomething year absence. Could do all of these reasonably well way back then.... sigh :roll:

1-foot spin - Was comfortable with this one after about two months. The biggest problem was dizziness for the first month. Now I am caught up to where I used to be.

backspin - This spin is evil :twisted: .... Still can do only one or two rotations after two and a half years

scratch spin - About a month after being comfortable with the 1-foot, I was becoming comfortable with this one.

sit spin - What can I say? I try. These knees are 50 years old and they AREN'T going any lower any time soon!!!!! :frus:

camel spin - Have been working on this one since September, and it's coming - still not consistent enough to include in a program but there's hope - at least my knees like this one. :D

layback spin - NOT A CHANCE! :giveup:

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
1-foot spin: after 10 years, manage about 2 revolutions on a good day.
backspin: Sometimes manage 1 revolution
scratch spin )
sit spin ) Ha, ha, funny joke.....
camel spin )
layback spin)

Although, having said that, the Husband is working really hard on his spins now and they are coming, including a sitspin. If I worked on mine a little more (and disliked the sensation a little less), I'd probably have a fairly respectable spin by now. We have a fairly respectable couples' spin, after all....

Joan
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
I've had much more trouble with spins than with the jumps (singles, of course; no doubles for me). Part of my difficulty was equipment - as I've upgraded and figured out the best blade placement and gotten orthotics to correct my pronation, the spins have gotten easier. My recent progress in spins is directly attributable to coaching! My coach of the past 2 years teaches the Lussi spin methods and he really drills me on these spins.

1-foot spin - 2-3 years?

backspin - Still trying to get this consistent after 12 years; although it is steadily improving.

scratch spin - This has been consistent only for the past year or so (ie. 11 years after starting lessons).

sit spin - It actually got lower in the past 6 months! I'm so happy. By regular standards though, it is still not great. It is slow and I sometimes fall out of it before I get 3-plus revolutions.

camel spin - I don't work on this too often yet. Once in awhile, I can do a fairly decent slow Camel, with 3 or 4 revolutions.

layback spin - I'm with Raye on this one: "NOT A CHANCE!"

luna_skater
01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I did sort of learn spins when I was younger, but just in group CanFigureSkate lessons, so I never really got any individual attention with them. And they all sucked. So when I started free skate again this past spring, I considered it starting from square 1.

1-foot spin: - Within the last month it has gotten where I want it to be...centered the majority of the time, high free leg in front, arms at shoulder height, fast. So I guess about 7 months.

Backspin: - Sucks, but is getting better. It was good on Thursday, but is still inconsistent. Been working on this for about 7-8 months as well. With the front spin, I go into it feeling like I can hit the spin every time. With the backspin, every attempt is a total crapshoot. But, having a more confident front spin has improved my backspin attempts because I'm actually working more on a change-foot spin than just the backspin in isolation. Being able to get the front spin centered helps the backspin tremendously.

Scratch: Haven't been working on it, because I didn't want to press my luck since the front spin finally got good.

Sit: I'm really pleased with how this has gone. Started working on it in....July?....worked on it for a few weeks, then sort of abandoned it. Approached it again about a month ago, with surprising success. Can obviously still be lower, but I am actually "spinning" in a centered "sit" position, so I'm happy.

Camel: Same situation as sit, but with less success. Haven't attempted one in a few weeks, should get on that.

Layback: Have worked on this off and on, mostly just trying to get my hips into place without much actual "layback." I practice the position off-ice alot.

coskater64
01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Skated as a kid from ages 14-18 finished at open juv on my 3rd figure test so that's the qualifier.

Back spin- Learned how to do a fast 2 foot spin and then lifted foot, sort like how I learned to water ski on one ski as a little kid. Took about a year to get a decent one as an adult currently fast and centered but always room for improvement.

Scratch spin- As a kid it was 30 feet long a totally uncentered and just bad. As an adult better and centered currently learning outside edge version w/ forward exit. Several near death experiences so far...

Sit spin- always my best, as my scratch got better so did my sit, once I learned to center a spin and learned how to really snap this spin and get good speed on it, always dizzy after a good one. I still need to get it lower, took about a year.

Camel spin- 4 years to get this going well, was just crap as a kid always hiked my hip and fell off my edge, currently good I like to practice 10 revolutions w/ constant speed and then change to back camel w/ 6. (this is a goal I am working on)

Layback spin- Still working on this, the spin is very fast I am working on my middle back flexibility it took about 2 1/2 years to get a good free leg position. Still working on it also add forward outside edge exit.

Flying camel- Took like 6 months, I just hurl myself into it, usually it works it has slowly gotten more controlled over the course of time and one day I will get a perfectly straight leg with a pointed toe.

I have always liked spins, I much prefer them to jumps and I really like to new spins that are coming out. :lol:

Justine_R
01-06-2006, 09:01 PM
1-foot spin- about 3 days...I was a really fast learner. I passed Canskate in about 2 months.
backspin hmm, maybe a month or 2? It really just took the time to get centered.
scratch spin Always been my best spin, so to do it well it took about a month.
sit spin This one has always been a tough one for me but its alright. Its taken me about 3 years though. :)
camel spin About 6 months, & Im still having problems with it.- I keep spining on my toe.
layback spin I LOVE THIS ONE. About 5 weeks.

Chico
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
1 foot - Okay I'm guessing.

back spin - Hate this nasty thing. I have times when I have positive results and other times when I don't. My best results are when I don't even attempt to pull in. Also when I'm alone, no coach, and don't realize that anyone is watching me. Skating friends have seen me do this spin and don't understand when I say I hate this thing. Or, I why I get coach challenged.

scratch spin - I can do this pretty well. I can do fairly fast and centered spins much of the time.

sit spin - I like this spin and do it fairly well. I've been told it's my nicest. Also that I can rotate it low and fast.

camel spins - Some days I can and then others I fight for the rotations.

layback spins - I have done these. I'm not sure how good they were...... I did rotate fine and didn't hurt myself...maybe they would be okay with lots of practice.

I have found that some days I spin better than others. I'm not sure why this is..... If I spin well on any given day, my jumps usually aren't as good as norm. I love jumping by the way. =-) Spinning is fun but jumps are what I love. That, and going fast. I like flying! =-)

Spinning time frame huh? I'm a work in process. I learned to spin before I could stroke....5 years or so. I would need to think about this, but you get the idea.

Chico

sceptique
01-07-2006, 10:48 AM
1 foot spin - I think I started working on it in July, so it would be half a year. At the moment I sort of stabilised at the level where I can do at least 4-5 revs most of the time with decent speed, but 8 times out of 10 it's not centered. Last few weeks I've been adjusting to new blades so my spins got a little worse (everything else got better from the very moment I got on my new blades), but today I had maybe 2-3 spins (out of 20) that were much faster and more tightly centered than ever before.

Backspin - four months maybe? 1, maybe 2 revs most of the time - I still can't quite find my balance, and now it looks more like a twizzle than a spin.

Sit spin - couple of months, I guess. More like a "crunch spin", but I can do 3-4 revs without losing it.

Camel - 4-5 weeks, so it's really tentative - maybe 2-3 revs with bent knees.

Scratch - started today. Well, I got the "open hip" bit", but then it tends to go weird when I try to bring my free foot down.

Layback etc. - haven't touched yet.

jazzpants
01-07-2006, 11:02 AM
1-foot spin: 3 months (coming back as an adult.)

Backspin: At least 4 years!!! :frus: Still working on consistent BO edge, but at least I can do the spin now.

Scratch spin: About 1.5 years. Still not consistent.

Sit spin: About a year to get it and another 2 years to finally get it to a recognizable sit. Still working on getting it to a REAL sit.

Camel spin: Still working on it. It's been about 4-5 years now. Then again, I'm not working on it consistently. Probably should this year since primary coach has been beating me up on them consistently

Layback spin: You guys want me to do this on the ice??? http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/ekelig/e015.gif

Attitude spin: Still working on them but I pretty much can do them. Didn't take that long given I have a good one foot spin (and no, by being able to do an attitude spin, I don't mean throwing a lot of attitude while I'm spinning, either. :twisted: :lol: )

Skate@Delaware
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
1-foot spin-about 1-2 months
backspin-I'm still struggling with this one but on good days (really, really good days) I can eek out 1 full revolution-woo hoo!
scratch spin-one year and 6 months for a recognizable one; still working on one that will pass any test!
sit spin-I actually did 2 last night in lessons that were coach-approved! But the timetable has been 4 months and counting
camel spin-I don't think so (tried it once-attack of the toepick!)
layback spin-not ever

I happen to be the Queen of the 2-foot spin at my rink!!!

sexyskates
01-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I started skating at 37 and getting my spins took a LONG time.

scratch spin - it took 1 1/2 years to get my free foot to cross over and kind of center the spin. I didn't get 3 revolutions consistantly until I got rid of my coronation ace blades and got gold seals. Then suddenly I could spin!

back scratch - the hardest element on the bronze test. It has taken many more years to be consistant, and I'm still not on the right edge. So, sit working.

sit spin - maybe 4-5 years to get it lower and the legs together. It has become my favorite spin in the last year and I can get all the way down now if I get a nice entrance. New blades 1 1/2 years ago helped because I still tend to rock back on my heel and then it slows down. So, still working on getting it faster and not too far back. But I had to develop strong quads for this one!

camel spin- The hardest element on the silver test is still a work in progress. 5 years to get more consistant. It is much better this year. I need speed.

layback - working on that. Now that I can finally center my spins better I can try to lean back a little more - or else I fall right over. I would love to have a pretty layback someday.

back sit - how do I get on an outside edge?

back camel - it's starting!
flying camel - just beginning this

rf3ray
01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
1-foot spin - 1 week
backspin - 3 months
scratch spin - 3 months
sit spin - 9 months
camel spin 1 year
layback spin - Havent tried it

:D :D

batikat
01-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I started skating as a complete beginner at age 37. I did dance to start with, so didn't really work on spins much, so it really depends where you are counting from - from when you started skating then these took a long time but I'll do from when I really started to work on them.

1-foot spin - couple of months to get a reasonable 3 rev spin. Didnt work on it much but then probably 3-4 months to make the breakthrough to consistent, usually centred, up to 13 rev spins.

sit spin - did a fairly respectable sit spin the first time I ever tried it much to the surprise of both myself and my coach. :P :lol: To get it competition worthy, a few months, but still working (after a couple of years) to get it lower and bring free leg in closer.

backspin - years and I'm still working on it but dont practice it consistently.

scratch spin - a couple of months to get comfortable bringing the free leg across and down.

camel spin - just started working on this occasionally - no where near as yet.

layback spin - Have had a few attempts at this but not really working on it at this time.

mikawendy
01-07-2006, 06:28 PM
1 foot spin -- probably approx 2 months (I can't recall)

backspin -- about 2 years to get 3 shaky revs CCW; still working to get CW backspin stronger (I skate CW, so CW backspin is more important, and I'm having same trouble with it as with the loop, loop loop, and flip--the free hip and leg are not staying inside the spin)

sit spin -- was able to teach this to myself after seeing someone in group lessons from a higher level do this. It took probably another 9-12 months to get it into a better position, centered, with faster revs. The sit is my best spin.

scratch -- took about 6 months to learn this from back crossover entry

camel -- I've been working on this on and off for about 9-12 months, and I've yet to get it really consistent, with straight skating knee. My speed and number of revs are still low

layback -- haven't started working on this yet. I've been working on attitude spin for about 2 months only on and off

kayskate
01-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Qualifier: I was a competent (though self-taught) artistic roller skater as a teen. I could do many moves on quad skates, including most of these spins.

I started taking ice lessons in 1992 at about 25 yrs old. I learned all of these spins w/in about 2 yrs. I cannot recall how many months, but the one-foot spin was very quick maybe w/in a couple of months. I just did a layback one day, so it was a zero time thing. I just worked on improving it and still can improve it after all of these yrs. Same is true of all the spins I currently do very well. I can blur a scratch. It took me maybe 3 yrs to learn to do that.

Kay