View Full Version : What to wear? What to wear???

nerd_on_ice
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
In a moment of insanity I've agreed to compete Freestyle 1 in an in-house ISI competition at my rink on February 12. This will be my first competition! I usually skate in leggings and a sweatshirt or a practice skirt and sweater--I don't own a skating dress of any kind. 8O Obviously I need to rustle one up in a hurry. I don't want to look dowdy but I would rather get something that isn't too flashy for practice so that I can also wear it in lessons. And, of course, I am on a budget!

How twinkly should a grown woman look when skating a low level at an in-house comp? Is it feasible to buy a plain dress and baste on some sparkly trim that could later be removed? Any ideas on "accessorizing" a dress?

...Anybody have an Adult Large dress or two they'd be willing to let go cheap? :lol:

jenlyon60
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Check on Ebay. Lots there at all sizes.

If all else fails, get a nice black leotard and black wrap skirt from a local dance store or online (Discount Dancewear has a good selection).

www.skatewear4less.com carries Capezio dancewear.

www.tidewaterice.com carries some GK, Capezio and Rebel plus their house brand.

www.freidab.com makes very adult-friendly (in terms of sizing) skatewear

I'm sure others will chime in with the sites they know and have used.

phoenix
01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
My advice would be a plain dress, no sparkles. You could also wear a leotard & wrap skirt that's a pretty print. They make lots of dresses that are pretty just because of the fabric/design without sparkles, which as you suggested, look out of place on a lower level skater. Then you can still wear it for practice also.

ETA: Capezio dresses run insanely small, so be careful if you go w/ that brand.

sceptique
01-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Same problem here - though I already own a dress I could wear: a simple plain black one with knitted turtleneck and sleeves, but I was concerned it wouldn't go well with the programme: I look in it like an older and bigger version of Janet Lynn, and the music is a tense piece that would go much better with a unitard or at least something less schoolgirl-like. Club's closed competition is in January and the next one is only in May. In my shoes, would you buy a competition dress a.s.a.p. or would you go with what you have?

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
If all else fails, dash out to the sales and see if you can get a pretty gold top, and/or disco skirt. If you have a plain dress - or sweater and skirt, you can always dress it up with a "bling" necklace.

And don't forget you can wear trousers if it's free skating - you could wear plain black all over, leggings and top, and maybe a pretty scarf or something as a bit of contrast?

Patsy
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
*Patsy emerges from lurkdom for a moment to tell Nerd on Ice that she's living (totally non-skater) Patsy's dream*

skatingatty
01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I second the ebay recommendation. That's where I bought my last 2 competition dresses! As far as jazzing up a plain dress goes, it depends on how good a seamstress you are. Plain dresses are fine; you could buy some hotfix crystals and use them to decorate the neckline or skirt of a dress. Or just find a pretty pin to put on the dress.

dbny
01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
GK (http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0A6A2F448BE49388D6BC08Z+DEV+ENG ) has some great dresses and you can call the outlet (http://members.tripod.com/DownEast_GKOutlet/) to see if they have what you want at about half price. Also, take a look at these clearance dresses from The Leotard Lady (http://leotardlady.safeshopper.com/66/cat66.htm?971).

nerd_on_ice
01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Everybody, thank you for all the suggestions! I will hopefully see my coach tomorrow and find out what she thinks as well.

sceptique, I think a black turtleneck dress would go great with dramatic music. What if you wore black OTB tights with it?

Kevin Callahan
01-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Hmm... while we're on the topic, since I will be competing "as soon as is reasonably possible" as my coach says in his light Brit accent, I have no idea what I'm going to do about costumes... Anyone have any male oriented tips? Not to hijack Nerd's thread, but it seems appropriate to the topic...

Shinn-Reika
01-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Yes me too. I might do a collegiate champinship soon.

jenlyon60
01-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Hmm... while we're on the topic, since I will be competing "as soon as is reasonably possible" as my coach says in his light Brit accent, I have no idea what I'm going to do about costumes... Anyone have any male oriented tips? Not to hijack Nerd's thread, but it seems appropriate to the topic...

Pants with some give or stretch (have some straps that will go around the instep of the boot sole sewn onto the pants), nice shirt (polo or button-up or nice-looking long-sleeve t-shirt), sweater if you want.

Several places online sell men's skating pants and bodysuit tops... specifically I know Del Arbour does (www.delarbour.com) but there's other vendors as well.

Skate@Delaware
01-06-2006, 07:04 AM
You can get some very nice stretchy slacks and have someone sew the velcro straps on the bottom for you. Also, what the guy ice dancer in my rink wears are shirts obtained from http://www.internationalmale.com (http://www.internationalmale.com/) ! ! ! Go for the brightly colored satiny ones! And, (I know this sounds bizarre and weird) tuck the shirt into your underwear to keep it from creeping up!

Good luck!

Skate@Delaware
01-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Nerd_on_ice:

I forgot to mention in my previous post:

I got some very nice dressy dresses at the Goodwill, they were sparkly and short (mid-thigh) stretch velvet, all I had to do was add bloomers (which cost $8 at a cheer/dance supply store) and I was good to go! Being an adult has advantages, as I can dress differently than the little kiddies! So, if you shop thrift stores, you can pick up bargains for skating!

slusher
01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
You know, I'm a fan of wear what makes you feel good. I'm a large tall woman all my life and got over dressing to suit other people a long time ago. However I have some sense and don't wear tight things that suit a teenager, I'm not that kind of "wear and don't care", but other than a pair of black pants, there's not much plain in my closet.

I also sew skating dresses for a lot of kids, and can do totally over the top bling. When it came time to make my first dress for myself, I was fairly plain, however it was bright red. (I had an overstock of red fabric....) My current dance dress is lavender with no trim at all and a chiffon skirt. I think of it as just a basic, and have worn a boa with it, fancy pins, jewellery, flowers, you name it. It's just like dressing up a street dress.

Alright, I sew, that makes it a whole lot easier, but I guess my point is, don't limit yourself because you're an adult and the low level of competition. If you see something that you love, why not wear it?

As for men, the current trend against one piece jumpsuits is a bonus for skating men . First buy yourself a good pair of skating pants (Mondor, Blueskys, DelArbour) in black. You will wear them forever (unless you get fat, to the consternation of my old skating coach). Then, as mentioned by Skate@Delaware, go shopping at the menswear stores and find a shirt you like. There is a way to add either leg straps or a manpanty to an existing shirt so that it will stay tucked in, and a local skating dressmaker can do that for you at a small fee. You can dress up the shirt or again, whatever makes you feel good.

CanAmSk8ter
01-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Everybody, thank you for all the suggestions! I will hopefully see my coach tomorrow and find out what she thinks as well.

sceptique, I think a black turtleneck dress would go great with dramatic music. What if you wore black OTB tights with it?

I don't think I've ever seen black OTB tights- do they really come in black? I'll have to keep my eyes open for those. I know I've (occasionally- I really want another pair but now I can't find them) seen black footless tights- that would work with a black dress too, if you found those somewhere.

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2006, 10:29 AM
My husband has one pair of really old-fashioned skating trousers that he got in a jumble sale - rummage sale in the US? - by mistake, years before we even thought of skating. Then he found an old bag of jumble in a cupboard and decided to go through it to see what was there, and lo and behold, there they were! They are actually a size too small for him, but he won't let me buy him a new pair on the grounds that "it makes me keep my weight down"!

He wears them for social dance evenings, and also for competition - for dance, usually with a white or black shirt and black bow-tie (all the male adult dancers in this country wore black shirts last year, it was really funny, you'd think they were a load of fascists, which they aren't!). I don't know what he'll wear for his first free skating competition, probably a T-shirt of some sort, or I might just have some ideas up my little tiny sleeve..... :halo:

sceptique
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I don't think I've ever seen black OTB tights- do they really come in black?

I own a pair but they don't actually look too great, especially with a black dress: you look like you are dressed for a funeral. Gloomy rather than elegant.

Kevin Callahan
01-06-2006, 02:31 PM
rummage sale in the US?

Garage or Yard Sale is what you're looking for, I believe.

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Garage or Yard Sale is what you're looking for, I believe.Not quite, because those are usually run by private individuals (we have them, too); jumble sales are usually in aid of, and run by, some charity or other.

sue123
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Not quite, because those are usually run by private individuals (we have them, too); jumble sales are usually in aid of, and run by, some charity or other.

I think that might be a flea market then? Or at least, that's what I call them. Not sure if that's what they actually are.

nerd_on_ice
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't think I've ever seen black OTB tights- do they really come in black?

They do! I have a pair. I got them at a Capezio store but it looks like they also have them on the Web site.

Well, the dress search has come to an end. I ordered a purple velvet tank dress--Capezio, as it happens--this afternoon. Once I get it I will decide whether to put any decoration on it. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions!

dbny
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
My husband has one pair of really old-fashioned skating trousers that he got in a jumble sale - rummage sale in the US?

That's what I would call it.

According to Merriam-Webster: Rummage sale - a usually informal sale of miscellaneous goods; especially a sale of donated articles conducted by a nonprofit organization (as a church or charity) to help support its programs.

Elsy2
01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
It's been forever since I had to buy skating dresses....but I was having fun looking and some of the camisole dance dresses available are very flattering. They do have seperate trunks/panty, which actually can be a good thing perhaps. Prices are nice. Check some of these out:

http://dancewearsolutions.com/

Just click on the dresses category.

I always had good luck with GKElite and Capezio. If there are any pro shops at rinks near you they usually have a small supply of dresses to try.

mikawendy
01-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Nerd_on_ice:

I forgot to mention in my previous post:

I got some very nice dressy dresses at the Goodwill, they were sparkly and short (mid-thigh) stretch velvet, all I had to do was add bloomers (which cost $8 at a cheer/dance supply store) and I was good to go! Being an adult has advantages, as I can dress differently than the little kiddies! So, if you shop thrift stores, you can pick up bargains for skating!

Skate@Delaware, do you sew the bloomers to the dresses? Or is the dress fabric heavy enough that the skirt never comes up high enough that you'd see a gap between dress and bloomers?

mikawendy
01-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen black OTB tights- do they really come in black? I'll have to keep my eyes open for those. I know I've (occasionally- I really want another pair but now I can't find them) seen black footless tights- that would work with a black dress too, if you found those somewhere.

If you're looking for black footless tights, you can get them in microfibre weight (the thin kind of tights) from just about any skating or dancewear company that sells tights. I have some black footless skating tights from Danskin that I love. (Sorry I don't know the style #.) I also have some heavyweight Mondor black footless tights (very thick but not made of sweater-y knit, so they're nice and sleek). They're very warm and don't creep up over the edge of my boot (the thinner ones sometimes do, so I buy those one size larger).

Shinn-Reika
01-08-2006, 03:31 AM
Pants with some give or stretch (have some straps that will go around the instep of the boot sole sewn onto the pants), nice shirt (polo or button-up or nice-looking long-sleeve t-shirt), sweater if you want.

Several places online sell men's skating pants and bodysuit tops... specifically I know Del Arbour does (www.delarbour.com) but there's other vendors as well.

Man those pants are expensive. *sigh* The only athletic pair of pants I had to steal from my dad when he got them free with his subscription of Sports Illustrated. Sadly those are too baggy to skate in ;_;.

BTW what's the difference between lycra and velvet? I know Velvet is the stuff they use to mark off museum exhibits and Lycra is made by dupont. But there must be be something more important (forgive my ignorance).

EDIT: Lycra is actually made by INVISTA.

Kevin Callahan
01-08-2006, 03:43 AM
That's what I would call it.

According to Merriam-Webster: Rummage sale - a usually informal sale of miscellaneous goods; especially a sale of donated articles conducted by a nonprofit organization (as a church or charity) to help support its programs.

OH! A bazaar. Here (perhaps it's a Texas thing), we call them Charity (or Church, or whatever) Bazaars.

batikat
01-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Man those pants are expensive. *sigh* The only athletic pair of pants I had to steal from my dad when he got them free with his subscription of Sports Illustrated. Sadly those are too baggy to skate in ;_;..

Does your local skating club have a second hand sale? - there may be something available there quite cheaply. Good skaters who compete regularly often sell off old costumes they won't wear again as it doesn't suit their new music. You probably dont get mens pants so often but there's also less competition to buy them. My son got a pair of plain black good quality stretch gaberdine type for (UK) £3 that he wore to the Novice championships!

BTW what's the difference between lycra and velvet? I know Velvet is the stuff they use to mark off museum exhibits and Lycra is made by dupont. But there must be be something more important (forgive my ignorance).

EDIT: Lycra is actually made by INVISTA.

Lycra (brand name but often used generically) or elastane, is a stretchy knit-type fabric which you can get in loads of colours and prints, different weights and finishes (matt or slightly shiny). You can get a heavyweight matt one for trousers. It doesn't fray when cut.

Velvet is a material with a cut pile. It can be non-stretch which is not good for skating, 1-way stretch which is usable but not ideal, or 2-way stretch which is best for skating apparel. Plain velvet has a pile so that it looks different depending whether the pile is running up or down. Crushed velvet looks more similar any way up, the pile runs in all directions.

Skate@Delaware
01-08-2006, 07:57 AM
You can skate in regular men's slacks if they have enough lycra (should be 5% or more). Just steer clear of the pleated style-too much fabric IMHO!

Revella Skate Wear has men's skating pants that are more affordable than Del Arbor-don't know about the quality though:
http://www.revellawear.com/pages/clothing/mens_and_boys_wear/index.html

And, if you are daring you can wear women's pants! I have heard of guys doing that, and frankly, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference today (I have clothes that fasten right over left AND left over right and the same with the zippers....) as clothes are becoming more unisex in manufacture.