View Full Version : Composition sole vs. Leather sole

Jason
01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey,

Just a question or two, I’m buying a pair of skates and I’m deciding on a few different models Riedell Bronze medallions or Gam Seniors.

I have the option to buy the gams at almost half price but they are a composition sole and the riedells are leather soles. From what I gather, as I don’t know much about gams, they are equivalent level of skates (approximately) and both come with the same blades. Anyone have any problems with either or have a preference.

I do like my skates tight and I know that I wear an 11 in riedell but does anyone know about the sizing for gams.

You may also want to know that I am 6’2” which I know can be a concern with composition breaking for larger people. I used to skate when I was younger and would like to start again just for fun. Also, I want skates that will be with me for a while as I advance as I may not buy skates again for a while.

Any opinions?

Thanks all
Jason

phoenix
01-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Definitely go for the leather sole. Not only can the composition sole break, you also can't reposition the blade if it's not aligned correctly, or replace them if you get new ones.

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Gams are wonderful skates for the larger skater - I'd say go with them! My first pair lasted me about seven years, and I'm hoping my current pair will, too.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
The current Bronze Medallions have leather soles with a PVC layer on the heel. I doubt the 1/8" of plastic makes a difference given the 2" leather heel.

I don't know about Gams. The Bronze Medallions are fine for beginners and recreational skaters. I have an adult student who uses Bronze Medallions and he's about 6'2" He really likes them, but he's biding his time until he picks up his hockey skates and stick again!

TashaKat
01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd go for the leather sole. As Phoenix said it's more difficult to reposition the blade on a composition sole and the screws tend to loosen off (in my experience) a lot easier.