View Full Version : Buying Skating Apparel? (Especially in Detroit area?) I am tall!

JessicaLynn
01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I am joining the St Clair Shores figure skating club after being in Learn to Skate for almost 2 years (YAY, I am so excited about it!) I will finally have my own coach!

I am an adult skater, (23 years old) and want to purchase some practice apparel. (Plus I will need it for testing). I am 5'11 and fairly thin, and the only store I have been to is Burley's in Livonia. The only brand there that fit me was Motionwear. (And of course it is not available to purchase online!!) Unfortunately they did not have the color/style I wanted in stock, so I was out of luck.

Where else in the metro detroit area do they sell a large assortment of adult skatewear?

Or can anyone recommend a brand that runs longer in the torso and has the skirts placed lower on the hips?

Thanks in advance!

sk8er1964
01-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I have to go custom, because very little pre-made stuff fits me. Judith at Papers and Pins, out of Ann Arbor, made me a very nice, very affordable, custom made practice skirt. She also sells tights and things like that, makes dresses and jackets. She's at competitions too.

If you contact the AAFSC office http://www.annarborfsc.com/m_rinks.php?PHPSESSID=18f87ce738e13e0d875168486de4 9806 they might be able to get you her phone #. It's up in the locker room, but since I usually run into her in person, I don't know her phone #.

Congrats on your move to private lessons! Hope to see you one day at one of the local comps. :)

Joan
01-04-2006, 07:23 AM
You could probably wear Ladies extra-large of many brands. You could mail-order from a place that allows returns - perhaps Rainbo. Although you are thin, I don't think the dresses will be baggy on you because they have so much stretch. You need the extra girth that comes with the XL size. I am tall (5'9") and this is what I always have to get. I have had good luck with the GK elite brand for sizing. Also, if you know how to sew or want to learn, there are patterns you can buy that will allow you to make your own skating dresses.

phoenix
01-04-2006, 08:59 AM
I second the GK recommendation--I'm about 6 feet tall & also thin. Their sleeves are nice and long also.

I can also wear Star Styled XLarge, & Body Wrappers, both large & XL work.

You might have more success finding some of those brands online & just make sure they're returnable.

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2006, 09:42 AM
If you want to practice in a skirt, buy either a wrap-round practice skirt from a dance outlet, or a cheap "disco-dance" type skirt. No need to wear a leotard, or even dance tights (keep those for best!); supermarket own-brand opaque black tights very often come with no hard line at the top of the thigh, so you can wear those, and then wear a pair of large black underpants (the kind known in this country as "full briefs") over the top to keep them up and preserve your modesty when you fall.

If your skirt is black, you could even test in it, perhaps with a gold sparkly top. Or treat yourself to a "proper" dress for tests and competitions, even if you have to have it made for you.

coskater64
01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I am 5'9" and very slight of course most of my height is in my legs my torso is 60" and that makes me an adult medium. I wear Sharene and usicewear dresses both have web sites. I would suggest that whoever you use, talk to them get properly measured and purchase a basic dress first, then if they do a good job you can decide if you want to get a more customized or fancier dress from them.

:lol:

Michigansk8er
01-04-2006, 06:08 PM
If you'd like some very cheap (but in good condition) used GK practice dresses, send me a PM. I'm 5'10" and have quite a few I could probably easily get to you.