View Full Version : Problems with brand new skates

pevelg
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I just purchased a brand new pair of Riedell Figure skates. It is a 220 Silver Medallion model, with Wilson Majestic Blades. I am only a recreational skater who LOVES to skate. I have only recently started to skate, using rental figures. I purchased these new skates in the beginning of December, but didn't git to try them until January 1st. I skated for 2 hours and then I noticed that one of the blades had become loose. I got of the ice and took off my boots. Three of the four screws holding the front of my blade were gone. The material under the blade was very soft and looked wet. The other boot seemed fine. I am one of those "unlucky southererns" who know little to nothing about skating and I don't have and rinks closer than 1:30 hours drive. Is this a serious problem or is there a way to get around it? I loved the skates during those 2 hours.... SOOOOOOO much better than rentals. I want to go skating again, but I don't know what to do to fix my boots. Please help.

Update: Is it common to get blisters with brand new skates? I believe the boots fit well. My right foot had not problems what so ever. I did get a nice size blister on my left foot though (the foot were the blade became loose).

Debbie S
01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Take the skates back to where you bought them and show them the problem. If you ordered from afar, call the retailer and mail them back. Blades shouldn't come unscrewed after only 2 hours of skating (or ever, really). It sounds like you're just doing basic skating, right (no jumps)? If you are tall and/or heavy, perhaps you need a stronger, stiffer boot, but it doesn't sound like you're doing anything that would put too much stress on the skates.

pevelg
01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I bought the skates from afar. And no, I am only doing basic skating. Also, I am about 5' 10" and wiegh 180 lbs. If I have to upgrade my boot, what model do you recommend?

Isk8NYC
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Pevelg,

I looked at this thread, but truthfully, I was waiting to see what Casey, our resident expert, had to say first. Just being lazy. Since you asked for my (always-verbose) opinion, here goes:

My kids have the Bronze Medallions, which are a step lower than yours. It's a good boot for little beginners, so I'll assume yours are also good.

The Bronze Medallions DO NOT have temporary mounting holes or screws. There were three in the front and two in the heel, all of which were round holes, not slotted holes. The other thread you asked me about were for Jackson Freestyles, which come with 2/2 screws in slotted blade holes.

I don't know if the Silver Medallions have different blades or screws, so I'm assuming they're the same as the Bronze ones. (Do you see slotted holes?)

When you received the skates, were the soles solid and light-colored? If not, that could mean the skates were used when you bought them.

How squishy were they after you skated? If it's a lot and you actually see holes in the boot where screws pulled out, I don't think these were new skates. As the queen of boot rot in a former life, I can safely say that the skates weren't cared for properly if you lose screws after one use. Perhaps they were worn once and stored in a wet basement or hot attic, but in any case, you paid for new skates and that's what you should have received.

I can see blades coming loose, but not on a brand-new pair of skates. I would make a list of your concerns and contact the seller. Most good pro shops and resellers stand behind the products they sell.

If you plan to keep the skates, you should let them dry out and use Sno-Seal on the soles before you wear them again. Since the blades are loose, mark the position as best you can and remove the blades to apply the sealant. After it's set, put the blades back on. If you have holes that need filling, use leather glue and laces to plug them to prevent further damage.

dbny
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Update: Is it common to get blisters with brand new skates? I believe the boots fit well. My right foot had not problems what so ever. I did get a nice size blister on my left foot though (the foot were the blade became loose).

If your boots fit properly, you should not get blisters, but having the blade come loose could have contributed to the problem. The next time you skate, put a patch of moleskin (Dr. Scholl's or a store brand - it's felt with an adhesive back) over the problem spot on your foot. Also, if you were wearing socks, switch to tights. The snugger your boots fit, the better, and socks allow a bit of play between the boot and your foot.

pevelg
01-04-2006, 12:46 AM
The bottoms of the boots are lightly colored, like a "flesh" tone. The boot that the blade did not come loose (right boot) has dried and the color looks like it did before. The other boot (left) is still discolored. It is no longer soft, but you could easily tell the difference with the right boot. The only discolored part of the boot was the front. The sole looks the same on both boots. Also, yes you can see two of the holes where the screws were. The third hole is not very visible. I had four screws in the front, three in circle holes, one in slotted hole. There are 2 screws in the back, both in sloted holes. Both boots have the same amount of screws, in the same areas. As for the softness, I could easily leave a small indention on the bottom of the boot with a firm press of my thumb. I purchased my skates from "Skate-buys.com."

Joan
01-04-2006, 07:14 AM
The color of the soles, and the fact that they got wet so easily, both suggest that they were never waterproofed with lacquer or sno-seal. You should call the vendor and ask for replacements at this point, IMO.

pevelg
01-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Thank you all for you help. I am going to return the boots and they will credit my account. As I am a heavy skater, i'll up the model of my boot to the Riedell 320 Bronze Star. Also, do you recommend that I order the skates and blades unattached, so I don't have this problem again? If I do, does anyone know of a good pro shop in Kansas city or its surrounding areas? Also, will the pro shop be able to apply the sno-seal or do I need to do that myself? Again, thanks for all your help.

Bothcoasts
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Generally speaking, it's better to have blades attached by local pro shops that can mount the blades and then have you walk in them to ensure that they're placed in the proper location. Given the problems that you've had with this vendor in particular, I would definitely have the boots and blades sent unattached.

My mother has Riedell Silver Stars--a slightly heavier boot than the Bronze Stars--which she's been skating recreationally in for years and absolutely loves. IMO, the Riedell Star models are great boots.

techskater
01-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I would ask the skaters (or their parents) who skate at your rink where they go to get their skates sharpened and/or mounted. If you have a very good professional, they will ask whether you want them sno sealed or varnished (this usually takes 7-10 days to get them back but, for me at least is SOO worth it due to the fact that you never have to reseal them, just have them touch up the scuffs in the varnish from time to time. The soles never seem to rot as I just retired a pair of skates after three+ years and I jumped, jumped, jumped them to death and never had a lose blade). Good luck!

Casey
01-05-2006, 03:14 AM
I looked at this thread, but truthfully, I was waiting to see what Casey, our resident expert, had to say first.
*cough* - how the heck did I become the "resident expert"? I'm just another skater like you. :)

I wouldn't have a clue what would make soles soft and screws come out after only a couple hours skating, but perhaps they weren't ever waterproofed? As others have said, take the blades off, dry the soles out thoroughly, apply Sno-Seal generously, then re-attach the blades using epoxy/plugs in the holes *if necessary* (if the holes will hold a screw nice and tight once dry, then why bother?). It's probably best that you find a pro shop to do this for you unless you're confident in your abilities.

If you can get your account credited then that's great - be sure to have your new pair waterproofed one way or another. Sno-Seal needs to be re-applied every 6 months.

The slotted holes are for temporary screws, which are put in first. The round bevelled holes are for permanent mounting screws. Usually one skates around a small bit on a temporary mount until certain that they feel balanced (not too long though as the blades are susceptable to moving), and then some of the permanent screws are put in - generally half or so.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Casey - You're too modest. And, I was being lazy, hoping you'd chime in! ;)

doubletoe
01-05-2006, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=Casey
If you can get your account credited then that's great - be sure to have your new pair waterproofed one way or another. Sno-Seal needs to be re-applied every 6 months.
[/QUOTE]

That's funny, my pro shop guy said I should re-apply Sno-Seal once a week! I told him that was never going to happen, but I'd commit to re-applying every six weeks when I get my blades sharpened. ;)

techskater
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Sno-seal was supposed to be re-applied monthly according to the directions.

Personally, varnish and forget about it

Casey
01-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Personally, varnish and forget about it
You have to be careful with varnish...if you chip a bit off then moisture can get in there and then it's trapped behind the varnish and can do more damage than otherwise. I do like the idea of varnish though, because I bet it would look nice as well as provide a good seal as long as you can manage to pay attention to the skates. Do you know if it's an easy enough job to do yourself?

I thought Sno-Seal was supposed to be re-applied every 6 weeks, but my fitter said every 6 months was fine, and laughed at the idea of re-applying it every 6 weeks, saying "well that would be taking REALLY good care of your boots!". But then, my skates are Graf, which somebody else said come pretty well waterproofed already, so maybe it's a different story for each brand.

luna_skater
01-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Personally, I still think all this sno-seal stuff is hogwash. I've been skating for 20 years and have never used the stuff. Never had a boot rot away on me, either.

jazzpants
01-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Sno-seal was supposed to be re-applied monthly according to the directions.

Personally, varnish and forget about itI was told by one of the guys at Harlicks that you only need to do the Sno-Seal stuff once a YEAR? Hmmm? 8O :??

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Personally, I still think all this sno-seal stuff is hogwash. I've been skating for 20 years and have never used the stuff. Never had a boot rot away on me, either.I've only been skating for ten years, but I've never used the stuff, either. I don't even think one can get it in this country - and certainly the coaches and the salespeople would have mentioned it if it had been important.

My coach and I both agree on the importance of polishing skates fairly regularly, though. Men can use ordinary black shoe polish, of course, but I tried several things before settling on Renapur Leather Balsam (http://www.renapur.com/) which smells delicious, too!

doubletoe
01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
You have to be careful with varnish...if you chip a bit off then moisture can get in there and then it's trapped behind the varnish and can do more damage than otherwise. I do like the idea of varnish though, because I bet it would look nice as well as provide a good seal as long as you can manage to pay attention to the skates. Do you know if it's an easy enough job to do yourself?

I thought Sno-Seal was supposed to be re-applied every 6 weeks, but my fitter said every 6 months was fine, and laughed at the idea of re-applying it every 6 weeks, saying "well that would be taking REALLY good care of your boots!". But then, my skates are Graf, which somebody else said come pretty well waterproofed already, so maybe it's a different story for each brand.

On my previous pair of boots, my pro shop varnished them and then I never did anything to them after that and they were fine for the 2-1/2 years I used them. But on my current pair, I'm noticing that the varnish is already cracking and chipping off after just 3 months and that's why I decided to start using Sno Seal on the soles. I sandpapered off the varnish in the places where it seemed to be cracking and chipping and rubbed Sno Seal in instead.

doubletoe
01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh, I forgot to add, if you do Ina Bauers, lunges, or anything else that sometimes puts the sole of your boot in direct contact with the ice, the varnish/sno seal will get shaved off in that area. That's a good reason to apply Sno Seal regularly (at least to that spot).

techskater
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I've had both pairs of customs varnished. Last pair lasted 3+ years with no problems and I am not easy on my boots since I skate at the Gold level and do a lot of edgy moves such as bauers. Current pair, 6 months so far and no issues. Prior to the last two pairs, I was sno-sealed and I had rot problems on two previous pairs of boots.

Varnish is NOT something I would do on my own because it requires skills I don't own and a lot of patience (something else I don't really own).

doubletoe
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
I've had both pairs of customs varnished. Last pair lasted 3+ years with no problems and I am not easy on my boots since I skate at the Gold level and do a lot of edgy moves such as bauers. Current pair, 6 months so far and no issues. Prior to the last two pairs, I was sno-sealed and I had rot problems on two previous pairs of boots.

Varnish is NOT something I would do on my own because it requires skills I don't own and a lot of patience (something else I don't really own).

That's good information. I will keep a close eye on my current pair to make sure the Sno Seal is doing the trick. If not, maybe I'll get them re-varnished.

pevelg
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
The retailer I bought the skates is not contacting me, so I guess I have to settle with these boots. I have removed the blades and I also have purchased the Sno-Seal. How do I go about applying it? Also, do I need to plug up the holes of the boot? If so, with what?