View Full Version : Alltel Ice Den, or Arcadia Ice Arena?

Sk8pdx
01-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I am planning a visit to the Phoenix, Arizona area in February. Is anyone familiar with the Alltel Ice Den in Scottsdale, or Arcadia Ice Arena in Phoenix? I have visited each of their websites. :?? I wanted to get a point of view from anyone who may regularly skate at either location. Both are about the same distance from where I will be staying. I am visiting my brother and sister-in-law and would like to take my 4 year old niece ice skating. :)

Cactus Bill
01-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I am planning a visit to the Phoenix, Arizona area in February. Is anyone familiar with the Alltel Ice Den in Scottsdale, or Arcadia Ice Arena in Phoenix? I have visited each of their websites. :?? I wanted to get a point of view from anyone who may regularly skate at either location. Both are about the same distance from where I will be staying. I am visiting my brother and sister-in-law and would like to take my 4 year old niece ice skating. :)

Depends on what you are looking for...the Alltel is a "high end" rink with a lot of excellent skaters and coaches there. But along with this comes some serious attitude...they don't call it "Snotsdale" for nothing.

Arcadia on the other hand is an older family-oriented rink. No attitude problems there. Just friendly people. I have some friends who are excellent (Silver level) skaters who skated both and prefer Arcadia for skating (but one did take some lessons for a while from a coach at Alltel). My coach used to teach at Arcadia for many years when she lived up there, and her former dance partner still teaches there.

I've been to Arcadia when I've been up in Phoenix and like it for those reasons. But if you have time check both out...you may well prefer Alltel.

Sk8pdx
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks,Cactus Bill, for the info. I will be visiting for 10 days and hope to get to experience both places. 8-)

they don't call it "Snotsdale" for nothing.
Tee Hee Hee. :lol: My husband went to DeVry University in Phoenix (affectionately he refers it to "Deep Fry" University), From what he has told me about Phoenix, Scottsdale seems to be a more affluent area.

My personal preference would be more "family friendly" much like my home rink.

TreSk8sAZ
01-03-2006, 11:10 PM
I have to say that I find it insulting that Alltell would be referred to as "Snotsdale". I skate at a rival rink and I have plenty of friends that go up there or regularly skate there. They were extremely nice and welcoming when our rink shut down and a few of our skaters went up there daily for lessons. Scottsdale is an affluent area, but that does not mean that the skaters necessarily act that way. There will always be some, but to label them all like that is unnecessary.

That being said, I would agree that Alltell has a more serious atmosphere. It is a training facility, and the higher-level freestyles have a serious feel to them. There are skaters on these freestyles training for Nationals in just a few weeks. A 4-year-old wouldn't be allowed on these sessions, anyway, so it's not a worry. The public sessions are not this intensive as there are not athletes training and can be considered family friendly.

Arcadia is a smaller facility and, as such, has a more intimate feeling to it. There are less freestyle sessions, but the public sessions seem generous. I personally don't (and never have) skated there, but I've heard good things from an adult I know that skates up there.

I'd say either rink, at the proper time, would be good for you to try. Obviously avoid freestyle or serious training times and you should be fine.

Cactus Bill
01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I have to say that I find it insulting that Alltell would be referred to as "Snotsdale".

I was refering to Scotsdale, not to Alltel itself. I grew up in a similar town, (Birmingham, Michigan) which, if anything, is even more affluent than Scotsdale is and has much the same attitude. I got my fill of that "rich town smugness" long ago, so I tend to poke fun at pretentiousness whenever I run across it. And the term came from a friend of mine who grew up there.

However I have to admit I've never been to the Alltel Ice Den. From what I understand about it I probably wouldn't be welcome...I'm not a high level skater, in fact at the age of 56 I probably don't have any business skating at such a facility.

Which is why there are other rinks.

sunskater
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I have to say that I find it insulting that Alltell would be referred to as "Snotsdale". I skate at a rival rink and I have plenty of friends that go up there or regularly skate there. They were extremely nice and welcoming when our rink shut down and a few of our skaters went up there daily for lessons. Scottsdale is an affluent area, but that does not mean that the skaters necessarily act that way. There will always be some, but to label them all like that is unnecessary.

I agree with TreSk8sAZ; although Alltel is not my main skating rink, I skate there often enough to know that not everyone is "stuck up". I think that every elite training center across the country is going to have it's handful of more confident skaters and parents than the rinks that cater to family/recreational skating. But that doesnt mean that these places aren't welcoming to new skaters visiting the area. My suggestion to Sk8pdx would be, if you do skate at Alltel, to follow the rules of the rink and I'm that sure doing so will ensure you an enjoyable experience. What most skaters don't apprieciate is when visitors come and disrupt the training sessions. Alltel has assigned locker rooms and a great warm up area overlooking the main ice sheet. I hope you would feel welcomed to Alltel, as it has always been a welcoming place for me and my friends to skate at; but as TreSk8az said, please keep in mind that the atmosphere is more serious, (but *not* necessarly stuck up!) so follow the general freestyle rules and have fun!!! Plus, you might enjoy getting the chance to watch some great skating.
If your interested, the Phoenix area has 3 other rinks as well. One in Chandler and one in Peoria (both really nice with 2 sheets of ice) and a smaller rink facility in Tempe(?), called Oceanside.
Enjoy your trip to AZ!

www.polariceent.com - Polar Ice's
www.coyotesice.com - Alltel
www.aracadiaice.com - Arcadia
www.iskateaz.com - Oceanside

Kevin Callahan
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
However I have to admit I've never been to the Alltel Ice Den. From what I understand about it I probably wouldn't be welcome...I'm not a high level skater, in fact at the age of 56 I probably don't have any business skating at such a facility.

That's just silly. This is capitalism. If you're willing to pay for the ice time and you're a good enough skater to hold your own, then you have every right to be skating at any public facility regardless of its quality.

I get plenty of looks from teen skaters during freestyle sessions, especially if they sense we might be crossing paths. Honestly, I don't much care. I have a wonderful coach and the pass that proved I paid. True, I'm not going to the Olympics. But that doesn't mean I take my skating any less seriously. Sure is a heck of a lot of money to blow if I am, right?

Sk8pdx
01-07-2006, 12:48 AM
...If your interested, the Phoenix area has 3 other rinks as well. One in Chandler and one in Peoria (both really nice with 2 sheets of ice) and a smaller rink facility in Tempe(?), called Oceanside.
Enjoy your trip to AZ!

www.polariceent.com - Polar Ice's
www.coyotesice.com - Alltel
www.aracadiaice.com - Arcadia
www.iskateaz.com - Oceanside

Thanks Sunskater, I am looking forward to a little warmer weather. Hmmm. :roll: :?: It looks as though Chandler may be slightly closer. Oh the possibilities :)!

Cactus Bill
01-07-2006, 07:43 PM
That's just silly. This is capitalism. If you're willing to pay for the ice time and you're a good enough skater to hold your own, then you have every right to be skating at any public facility regardless of its quality.

Just seems to me that if it's a public rink, why should my (or anyone else's for that matter) skating ability limit my access? You pay your money, you gain admission.

If, on the other hand, they are a true training facility, then maybe they should rethink their admission policy. If you want to limit the use of your facility to skaters-in-training, then limit your ice time to them, and don't solicit other skaters.

I get plenty of looks from teen skaters during freestyle sessions, especially if they sense we might be crossing paths. Honestly, I don't much care. I have a wonderful coach and the pass that proved I paid. True, I'm not going to the Olympics. But that doesn't mean I take my skating any less seriously. Sure is a heck of a lot of money to blow if I am, right?

Ya know, Kevin, I tend to agree. There are some terrific skaters down here, most of which are really wonderful people. There are always a couple of rotten apples in the barrel which affect a visitor's perception of a facility, but mostly they are few and far between. And I'm willing to bet that the skaters who are giving you "those" looks won't be going to the Olympics either... last time I looked there were ONLY 3 slots in each group for skaters on the team. Those are very long odds.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going skating... :)

Mrs Redboots
01-08-2006, 09:54 AM
And I'm willing to bet that the skaters who are giving you "those" looks won't be going to the Olympics either... last time I looked there were ONLY 3 slots in each group for skaters on the team. Those are very long odds.Shouldn't that read "a MAXIMUM of 3 slots in each group" - you only get to send more than one if you have a finisher in the top ten, and more than two if you finish in the top three! Many countries may only send one skater, couple or pair in each discipline!

Cactus Bill
01-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Shouldn't that read "a MAXIMUM of 3 slots in each group" - you only get to send more than one if you have a finisher in the top ten, and more than two if you finish in the top three! Many countries may only send one skater, couple or pair in each discipline!

Of course you are correct Annabel...I stand (or at least sit) corrected.