View Full Version : figure skating (need your advice!)

TwirlGirlTiff
01-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Im preparing to take private Figure skating lessons and i would like to know what to expect! Like what kinda stuff will I learn at first, and how soon will I get to learn to Waltz Jump? Also i was wondering what supplys I will need?

~Thanks In Advance~
Tiffany
:D

froggy
01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
welcome to figure skating! everyone progresses at a difft rate so it's hard to say when you'll be doing a waltz jump. usually you first start working on stroking properly, learning edges, swizzles, crossovers (forward and backward). It is very very impt to get solid basics down before moving onto spins and jumps, all jumps take off and land on edges, without good edges..well it's just a recipe for messing up. You didn't mention if you took group lessons in the past so I'm not sure exactly what level you're on. Take it as it comes you are already doing the right thing by starting private lessons! Let your coach know what your goals are, and together you can set realistic small goals to work on.

remember to have fun and happy skating!

froggy
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
..sorry forgot to answer your last question. In terms of supplies of course you'll need figure skates, wear proper clothing (comfortable strechy pants or a short skirt with thick/skating tights; for tops-wear layers to the rink, gloves, tissues, a drink, I keep in my skate bag also a cloth to wipe my blades, skate guards, and blade soakers. The last two items are sold at pro shops if you have one at your rink or ask your coach for shop in the area..of course you can order it online.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2006, 08:57 AM
It very much depends on your coach. I know one of the coaches here has said very firmly to a new (adult) pupil that she won't be doing anything but stroking exercises for six months, as he wants her to really be good at skating before she starts doing tricks. She's fine with that, and works hard; others would hate that and do better with another coach, who might have them jumping within weeks, but won't attend to their basic skating. I recommend the first approach!

But you won't be doing any of that the first lesson - you'll be learning to get your balance, how to move forwards and (possibly) backwards, and how to get up after you fall down.

As froggy said - wear warm leggings, thin socks, at least two layers on top (so you can shed one if you get hot) and gloves. Take a bottle or flask of water, and some tissues. If you have your own skates, well, obviously, take those - if you're planning on hiring skates for now, you might be advised to take some blister dressings, just in case......

Isk8NYC
01-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Make sure you get to the rink early enough to stretch and warmup. I think you said that you have your own skates, but if not, leave time for rental lines, too.

Here's my best advice for rentals. Most rinks ask you to hand in your shoes in exchange for the skates. Rather than have my kids walk around in their white socks, I brought an extra pair of shoes to hand in. The rink just wants their rentals back and they're not doing my laundry!

A lot of my students seem to show up just in time for their 30 m. lesson, yet they're paying for a two-hour session. Skate the whole session, and plan on another practice skate each week. Practices really do help make the most of your lessons, which are far more expensive!

Tuck a small notebook into your bag and write down everything you worked on during your lesson. Then, practice each element and check it off.

Borrow a skating book or instructional video from the Library. (If you search this board, there are plenty of recommendations.) If you read about something that interests you, write it in your notebook and talk to your coach about it.

Be friendly and open to short chats. If you bump into another skater, say "sorry" or "excuse me" even if it wasn't your fault. It's just courtesy.

Welcome to the skating world. Good luck.

TwirlGirlTiff
01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
yes i do have my own skates, they are GAM.