View Full Version : Need Help

TwirlGirlTiff
01-01-2006, 08:04 PM
does anyone know why sometimes the tip of my shoe(the pointy part of my shoe) gets caught in the ice? like sometimes when im skating i catch the point of my shoe in the ice and i nearly trip, is there any way i could pervent this from happening?
thanks in advance!
Tiffany

russiet
01-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Do you mean the toe pick, or actually the boot?

TwirlGirlTiff
01-01-2006, 08:27 PM
thats right its the toe pick

russiet
01-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Eventually it won't be an issue. You'll develope a more upright posture and this will place your weight a little further back on the blades.

For now, as you skate try lifting the fore part of your foot up against the skate boot. If your doing it right you might get a little muscle soreness in your outside shin area. I switched from hockey to figures last year and at the time this was the only thing that kept me from tripping on my picks (which I did anyway). That was my temporary fix until my posture came around.

If you skate regularly and take some lessons, you should be fine in no time. Like anything else, you have to develop a feel for it.

A lot of us (all of us?) will have to admit to an occassional pick trip, no matter how progressed we might be!

Jon

TwirlGirlTiff
01-02-2006, 12:35 AM
thanks for the advice!!!

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Bend your knees a little more, and turn your feet out - sideways - so you are pushing off the inside edge of your blade, not off your toe.

doubletoe
01-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Skate with your butt lowered to the ice a little more, and lift your toes up a little bit inside your boots.