View Full Version : US Nationals - St. Louis

Joan
01-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I'll be in St. Louis Jan. 7-15, volunteering at the US championships and, of course, attending many of the events. Is anyone else from the forum going?

I'm bringing my skates - don't know how much free time I'll have though. My blades could use a good professional sharpening. Do any of you know of a good sharpener in the St. Louis area?

How about adult-friendly sessions at an area rink?

Mel On Ice
01-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Brentwood Ice Arena is having special arena ice during the championships, please email Craig Stroebeck (link to follow) for the specifics. As a former St. Louisian, I was partial to the lunch skate that was from 11:45 to 1pm - good ice, only $3.50.

http://www.brentwoodmo.org/index.asp?SID=81

AND if you love a cup of soup after skating, there is a place called Applegate's north of the rink on Brentwood Blvd that has a soup bar that is to die for.

http://applegatesdeli.com/

If you are going to be spending lots of time out in St. Charles for the novice and junior events, my old club has plenty of freestyle times available, and are very adult friendly. North Arena ice is $9/hour. Go to the last page labelled "conduct and ice times":

http://www.spfsa.com/

And if you are feeling rather nostalgic for open-air ice, there is an ice rink in Forest Park, near the Children's Hospital off Kingshighway. I personally had the urge to skate there once a year and opted to fight traffic to skate at Brentwood. That is a major warning to you, the junction of 64/40, Brentwood, I-170 and Hanley is CRAZY from morning rush hour to evening rush hour, no matter the time of day.

Joan
01-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Thanks Mel-on-ice! I will check these out.

Joan

skatingatty
01-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I will be going to St. Louis- yahoo! Reporting for asianathlete.com again, so please check the site to see reports/articles. Joan, do you know where you will be volunteering? I hope you have fun and get to watch the skating too.

Debbie S
01-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey skatingatty, I'll be there too! Where are your seats? My mom and I will be in section 102, row V, seats 1 and 2 for the comp (section 117, row G, seats ? for the ex).

I would love to be able to get in some skating while I'm there (NYI will be 3 weeks away!) but with all that's going on in the schedule, the only time I'd be able to do that would be after midnight - lol. It's going to be hard enough to find time to eat!

Are you going, Mel On Ice?

Mel On Ice
01-03-2006, 03:34 AM
section 115, row U, seats 11 or 12? I will be there all week as a volunteer.

Joan
01-03-2006, 07:34 AM
I'll be volunteering in "Volunteer services" at the Savis Center. I think my times are Sunday, 6-11 AM; Tues. 6-11 AM; Wed. 11-3 PM; Thurs 6-11AM. Come by and say "hi".

MusicSkateFan
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Section 123 Row A ..have to look at tickets for seat number. I get in Monday Morning. See ya around!

skatingatty
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Debbie! I remember what you look like, so I'll find you at natls. I'll be sitting wherever they put the media, usually at the very end of the rink to the left of the Kiss n' Cry. Yeah, I'm a little bummed that I won't be able to practice myself in St. Louis. Guess I'll have to run on a treadmill at the hotel to get exercise. Last year in Portland, I only skated once at that little rink in the mall. It got pretty hot b/c the temps in the mall are higher than what you'd find in a regular rink. Plus I was dizzy and sleep-deprived from all the late night press conferences, writing articles, and then getting up early to watch more practices. Have a great trip and hope to see you all there! :)

Hey skatingatty, I'll be there too! Where are your seats? My mom and I will be in section 102, row V, seats 1 and 2 for the comp (section 117, row G, seats ? for the ex).

I would love to be able to get in some skating while I'm there (NYI will be 3 weeks away!) but with all that's going on in the schedule, the only time I'd be able to do that would be after midnight - lol. It's going to be hard enough to find time to eat!

Are you going, Mel On Ice?