View Full Version : Advice?

icechick14
12-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi, I'm Kristen and I'm starting my first figure skating lesson next Saturday. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on gear etc.? Oh, and when is the best time for me to buy a pair of skates? I went to the rink the other day and LUVD it! I felt like I was flying. I even did a couple of little twirls :lol: ! lol well, any advice would be appreciated!
Luv ya,
Kat

Skate@Delaware
12-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Welcome to skating, Kristen!
Well, at my rink the girls usually wear dresses (although not required for lessons at my rink), and teens and adult ladies wear stretchy-type pants with t-shirts (not jeans); sweaters and a light jacket that can be removed once you warm up. Gloves, lip balm, tissues all in a pocket or in a container at the boards with your water bottle (rink air is dry and you can get really thirsty)-write your name on your bottle with a permanent marker!

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2006, 08:47 AM
The thing not to wear is jeans - tracksuit bottoms or leggings are much better. And don't forget gloves.

Get your own skates once you're sure you want to carry on. If you start group lessons, I should use hired skates for the first course, and then, if you want to go on, see about buying your own. Ask your teacher at the rink where the best place to buy them in your area is.

russiet
01-01-2006, 09:12 AM
If you opt to wear pants, I have been using stretch pants designed for cross-country skiing. They work perfectly for figure skating and are designed for warmth.

The ones I have are made by Sporthill as their X-C Pant, both in Mens & Womens sizes. http://www.sporthill.com/

The arena I skate at is very cold in the middle of winter & these pants are rated from 30 down to 0 degress (F). They have other pants that work better at warmer arena temperatures.

Particularly nice for me is that I cross country ski, too. Now I have double-duty sport clothing.

Jon

CanAmSk8ter
01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
We usually discourage beginners from wearing dresses at my rink- until you get to the point where you're moving around quickly for the majority of the lesson, they're too cold. Plus, they're expensive- much better to spend the money on decent skates. Sweats or leggings are better. Wear layers so that if you start to feel warm you can take some stuff off. As far as skates, rental are fine for the first few classes. Once you're sure you're going to stick with it, ask your instructor where you should go to get fitted for skates. Once you have skates, you'll need hard plastic guards for when you're walking around off the ice, and soft ones for after you skate and wipe off your blades.

icechick14
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey thnx everyone for all the tips! I'm think I should be good to go now.
Thnx again,
Kristen

Skate@Delaware
01-02-2006, 12:46 PM
We usually discourage beginners from wearing dresses at my rink- until you get to the point where you're moving around quickly for the majority of the lesson, they're too cold. Plus, they're expensive- much better to spend the money on decent skates. Sweats or leggings are better.
I just mentioned it because knowing how girls are (I used to be one eons ago), she probably wants to wear what the others wear. Most of the young girls at my rink wear the same thing (being a group thing) but again, it depends on the age. I don't know how old you are Kristen. Most of the teens at my rink gravitate more towards the sweat/stretchy-type pants and t-shirts. Of course, there are a few girls who do wear dresses (or at least skirts), especially before competitions and shows.

We have a large turnover of borrowed/second-hand dresses!!! And, many a good skating skirt can be "adapted" from stuff you find at a regular store (with bloomers or short-shorts underneath). Many of our girls are very creative! One actually wears pale pink leggings and a matching chiffon scarf tied around her waist! Tres Chic!

Note: Just don't wear anything that hangs down and could be a trip hazard!!! This also applies to large flare leg pants (don't ask-but I'll not wear those pants again!!!)

icechick14
01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh I'll look in to everyone else is wearing. I would think that if there are other 14yr.olds in my class that they would be wearing stretchpants. I'm in dance so i think I'll wear my dance pants and leotard with a shirt over it and probly a sweater too. Thanx for the advice and tips! If anyone has any more tips for starting out, they would greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Kristen :D

TwirlGirlTiff
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
lol at the place i go to most the girls wear dresses and skirts, even the girls that are not as advanced.