View Full Version : Watery eyes on the ice

Terri C
12-29-2005, 10:55 AM
This has happened off and on, but everyday this week, when I've been on the ice, my eyes start get watery. Can anyone explain this one?

TreSk8sAZ
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
That usually happens to me when it gets unexpectedly colder in the rink. It won't happen if the temperature is above 45, but as soon as it goes under that (which it regularly does) my eyes start watering as soon as I start stroking. Don't know if it's gotten colder in your rink, but it's an idea

krisseye
12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Tear production increases in cold weather so you what you're experiencing is very normal. And tears drain out your nose which probably explains the runny noses.

Terri C
12-29-2005, 11:26 AM
That's probably it, then. Our rink has been a meatlocker the last couple of days.

dbny
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
It happens to me when I first get on sometimes. I think it's one's face rushing into the air when you pick up speed. Then it quites down after a few minutes of stroking etc. Sometimes I have to stop, though, because my lenses shift a bit from it.

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Doesn't just happen to me in the rink, but whenever I go out in cold weather. It's a bore in competition, because one's mascara can run.

At our rink, there are always piles of tissues & loo paper on the side of the boards for emergency use - the cleaner, every so often, goes round throwing them away!

coskater64
12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
This happens to me in colder rinks and it seems to happen to a lot of "older" skaters that I know. (+65 years of age) I had dry eye and I would always get just one large tear and that was it...seems normal.

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I read somewhere - and I simply never remember about it, which is why I didn't say it yesterday - that the way to treat watery eyes is to make a hot compress with your face-flannel (just wring it out in hot water) and hold it to your eyes for 30 seconds 2-3 times a day for several days. It does help, but do I ever remember?

jazzpants
12-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Once my coach made me stroke quickly around the rink. After a few minutes, my eyes started tearing up. She asked afterwarsd "Are you crying about those forward crossovers? Was it THAT bad of an exercise I made you do?" (in a very sarcastic joking tone.) :twisted: :lol:

I think it's just the temperature of the rink itself. I know I don't get teary eyes during the summer.

AshBugg44
12-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeah that happens to me whenever I skate at the "cold" rink. My normal rink is in a mall so it's not cold, but I skate at a different rink once a week and my eyes water there!

prettyinpink
12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
if you wear contact lenses, it may be the lenses reacting to the cold. I used to have the same problem - I'd get teary eyed and my lenses would move around because of the temperature - but I switched contact lenses to ones that allow the most oxygen in of any other lens and the problem has since gone away.

MissIndigo
12-31-2005, 01:17 PM
The rink where I skated when I was a teenager had heavily chlorinated water and that used to always make my eyes water. I mean, I could walk in there and it almost smelled like a pool supply store somedays! I'm very sensitive to chlorine and bromine, and my eyes are more allergic than anything else I have, so no wonder I'm affected this way.

I don't recall my more recent rinks making my eyes water like this very often. Now during allergy season... :frus:

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
if you wear contact lenses, it may be the lenses reacting to the cold. I used to have the same problem - I'd get teary eyed and my lenses would move around because of the temperature - but I switched contact lenses to ones that allow the most oxygen in of any other lens and the problem has since gone away.
Doesn't seem to matter whether or not I wear my lenses or my glasses, my eyes water! Actually, I think slightly less in lenses......

prettyinpink
01-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Doesn't seem to matter whether or not I wear my lenses or my glasses, my eyes water! Actually, I think slightly less in lenses......

slightly less in your lenses? lucky :) it's been a long, long time since I skated in glasses, but I don't think mine ever watered in glasses.

mikawendy
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Mine water in my eyeglasses even just when I step outside in the winter. When I go running it looks like I'm crying!

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2006, 09:43 AM
slightly less in your lenses? lucky :) it's been a long, long time since I skated in glasses, but I don't think mine ever watered in glasses.Well, I don't skate in my glasses, either - but the lenses do seem to be a bit protective when I'm out of doors, for instance. Or if I've forgotten them and am having to skate "blind", my eyes tend to water rather more than if I've the lenses in.