View Full Version : Dizziness after spinning?

krisseye
12-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, coming back to skating after a 20 layoff (I skated briefly in my teens). In addition to trying to get my body parts to work again after having a baby, I'm finding that I get dizzier than I used to. Now, I always had a problem with dizziness and motion sickness anyway (why someone like me would take up skating is a different discussion altogether 8O ) so that's nothing new, but I'd like to continue skating. Any suggestions for dealing with the dizziness? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

samba
12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, coming back to skating after a 20 layoff (I skated briefly in my teens). In addition to trying to get my body parts to work again after having a baby, I'm finding that I get dizzier than I used to. Now, I always had a problem with dizziness and motion sickness anyway (why someone like me would take up skating is a different discussion altogether 8O ) so that's nothing new, but I'd like to continue skating. Any suggestions for dealing with the dizziness? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Krisseye and Welcome

We all feel dizzy to start with when learning spins, ok so you have done this before but your body needs to adjust to it again. However, if as you say you have always suffered dizziness and motion sickness, maybe it would be a good idea to get your ears checked out.

Good luck
Grace

NickiT
12-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Spinning is something that your body usually gets used to. I daresay when I get back to skating after having time off, I always find I feel very dizzy after spinning for a week or two, but over time I get used to it and don't notice the sensation so much. I expect it will take you a little while to get used to.

Nicki

sunshinepointe
12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I agree - I took three months off of skating and I just went back the other day and oh my goodness - after the first spin I felt like I was going to fall over! Juat keep at it and it'll get better :)

dbny
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
What I did was spin two or three times, until I was dizzy, then skate around just a little, just plain stroking, until it went away, and then go back to spinning. It was getting better that way.

Mrs Redboots
12-29-2005, 03:50 PM
What's so weird is that you get used to it, then you change something and it starts up again. Husband and I had this spin in our free dance last year - we just linked left arms and spun, very low-level but it fulfilled the requirements. So this year our coach is making us do it as a change-foot, so after spinning on our left feet with our left arms linked, we change arms and legs and spin on our right feet with our right arms linked - sort of a backspin.

Which is fine, but I feel totally dizzy after the backspin section, whereas I seldom get dizzy doing the first bit! Weird, or what?

coskater64
12-29-2005, 07:03 PM
While most would say it is a perinnal state for me---I had this problem when I came back after 18 years off the ice. All I can say is practice, practice, practice, you will get used to it but it will take a few months, I still occasionally get dizzy in very fast spins and it's been 5 years.

Don't worry though, it's totally normal. :D

SkatingOnClouds
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Krisseye, it's nice to know I am not alone! I too am returning to skating after 20 years, and have also always suffered from motionsickness. In fact these days I don't even take lifts unless I have to, as I can end up with a sensation of movement causing sea sickness, which can last for weeks.

I came to the conclusion that when I skated before, I learned how to spin gradually, and that it was quite a while before I was doing multi-rotations or any changes of position. I built up to it, in other words. Of course from my first session back, I have launched into spins at the same speed I would have attacked them when in my 20's. So of course I get dizzy.

Another factor that I have read about is that if your spin is not well-centred you are more likely to get dizzy. I don't know about you, but mine are far from well-centred at this time.

So my advice to you is to take it gently, build up to spins gradually and work with a teacher to improve your centring.

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Karen