View Full Version : Perfect Gift or Store Return:Lessons and Practices December 27,2005-January 1

Terri C
12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Perfect Gift:
Kids are not quite back on the ice yet, so the freestyle was not crowded today.
Spins are on their way back. Jumps are still intact
Was able to bend knees on moves!
New Year's Invitational entry form went in the mail today!
Store Return:
Worked on my freeskate program for New Years- Thank God I have six weeks to get this program (and me) back into shape. My spins sucked in the runthrough and I've lost stamina!

sunshinepointe
12-27-2005, 02:59 PM
PERFECT GIFT!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I ACTUALLY WENT SKATING TODAY

This is the first time since the hurricane that I've been able to skate - so about three months? Anyway, the session was SO crowded because all of the kids are out of school, and the ice needed to be redone but it was still SO awesome. I couldn't believe that I was able to do everything I could do three months ago -in some cases it was actually better. I landed my loop-loop without a problem, flip-toe...I did take a spill on the toeloop-loop, the only fall of the day and that was because of a nasty shoulder. My spins weren't that hot - couldn't really get a nice fast scratch, but I'm also sick so maybe that had something to do with it. I'm DEFINITELY not as strong though, and everything took so much effort - towards the end of the session I couldn't even get up from my sit spins. I did do a pretty decent Bielmann though, despite the lack of flexibility I have from not stretching all this time. I couldn't work on lutzes today because the rink was so crowded, but I felt good, like I COULD land them today if I wanted to. I only did one camel that got 2.5 revolutions and a couple of weak backspins...but for not skating for three months I thought I did well!

Man, I'm SO EXCITED to be back on the ice. I need to work something out with my coach to get lessons to hold me over until my old rink is back in business. I'm going to be SO sore tomorrow though, I can feel it. And I'm sure that skating didn't do much for my cold, but whatever. Time to get in shape, drop 30 pounds, and get serious about skating again - I'm so happy I feel like I'm flying :D

Debbie S
12-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Good for you, sunshinepointe! Wow, that's great you were able to land your jumps after so much time off. When I came back after a few months off, I felt like I had 2 left feet (or 2 right feet) for the first few sessions I skated.

Perfect Gift:
My coach says my toe loop is now a true toe loop, instead of a toe waltz, which I had apparently been doing but didn't even know it. I also landed some loops with runout, but I need to work more on getting my weight to the right side and leaning back on my right foot as I take off. My back perimeter crossovers have improved - I'm now on the correct edges - woohoo! I just need to extend my free leg underneath more on the BI edge holds - my coach commented that I looked stiff. Hey, it was cold in the rink! :lol: But it was also empty - only me and a couple others.

Store Return:
Backspins - I'm pulling in too quickly and need to work on spinning with my free leg extended for a few revs to center the spin and get my balance. Of course, as I told my coach, I have to pull in right away b/c the spin doesn't last that long and I have to get my revs in. :oops: She also said my scratch spin needs the same thing - I get plenty of revs, but the spin is off-balance a bit and travels. Sit spins were also pretty bad. And my power 3's now feel wonky on the left side, which is supposed to be my good side. :frus:

Getting my New Year's entry form ready to send in!

Skate@Delaware
12-27-2005, 07:52 PM
HOORAY FOR SUNSHINEPOINTE!!!

Perfect Gift: actually able to do a few 1/2 revolution backspins WITHOUT feeling like I was going to fall over! I feel a full revolution backspin sloooowly approaching! Waltz-8's and back inside edges were ok.

Toe-Loop: Managed to to several, with the free foot actually picking at least behind (instead of out to the side)! AND they were not waltzy, AND I managed to to them faster than cricky slow (of course, when I sped up to faster, I skidded on my 3-turn and ended up bailing out of them). 1/2 Lutz was good! Salchow was good as always!

Spins: scratch spins were decent today, 5-6 revs, not quite centered. Oh, I caught my heel on a spin and fell AGAIN on that darn left hip!!! :giveup: Guess I'll just have to get used to a permanent bruise!

Store Return: ok, I did about 15 loop (and attempts) and managed to at least get over onto that darn outside edge on most of them (had a nice curve to my tracing)....got 3/4 of the way around on half, 1/2 way around on the rest. I'm missing a vital point but I don't know what it is-it will click like it did with the salchow.

PS-I swapped my blades onto my "new" used boots-get to try them tomorrow. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, my blades are 1/4" longer than the blades that were on the "new" boots, so I had to guestimate the holes; luckily, I marked the center-line of the blades that were on there (I skated and scootched them until they were centered for me). I will skate on them tomorrow night and "Pray" that they work! I'm tired of skating in big boots, but don't have any more $$$ to spend on another pair of boots! (unless I sell the ones I've got on e-bay, once these work....) Worst case scenario, they don't work right and things get moved back to their original boot and I maybe make a few bucks sewing costumes or skating dresses :lol:

Terri C
12-27-2005, 08:06 PM
PERFECT GIFT!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Woo- hoo- I know that this has been a long time coming for you!!1 :D

jazzpants
12-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Perfect Gift:

My lesson with my coach at Chelsea Piers!!! 5 step mohawk and alt backcrossover to BO edge got better!!!
After the lesson, spending time with DBNY at Prospect Park Wollman Rink and having dim sum with her, her DD's and their friend!
Smooth and empty ice at Chelsea Piers!!!
Store Return:

The flu DH and I started developing thru-out the day! I was quite sick by the end of the dim sum!!!! EWWWW!!!! :x
The Paramount Sk8 thread!!! (You trolls SUCK!!!!)
The ice at Prospect Park... Too cold!!! Too hard!!! Too crowded!!!
And last but not least... having to say goodbye to my wonderful coach @ Chelsea Piers for the year!!! I will miss him a LOT!!! :cry: And I most definitely will save up for another trip for NYC next year so I can see him again!!! (And knowing me, I'll probably bawl my eyes out too after taking my last lesson with the Moves Guru too this Friday. Though it's still in question whether it's from the his torturing me during our lesson, or whether it's b/c I'm gonna miss another great moves coach and MAJOR sweatheart of a guy!!! :lol: )
(Okay, time to rest up from this AWFUL FLU!!!) :cry:

Mrs Redboots
12-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Perfect Gift: Back on the ice this morning after several days off. And both our lessons - couples lesson from 09:00 to 09:30, then my solo from 10:00 to 10:30. Ice was pretty empty, apart from us and our coach's other pupil of the morning - the few other skaters there all got off at 09:00!

In our couples lesson we worked mostly on chassés and swing rolls in waltz hold, and then on the end pattern of the Swing Dance. And finally we had to do a couple of laps of cross-rolls in Foxtrot Hold, which are NOT EASY.

In the break, we danced together - Swing Dance, Canadian Cha-cha and Fiesta Tango to music. Did a not bad Fiesta, and then a not-very-good one. We also practised our spin.

In my lesson, we worked on Mohawks quite a lot, then had to do changes-of-edge (which I love), variable-speed forward cross-rolls (ditto), level 3 dance moves (getting there, slowly) and forward swing rolls.

Store Return: Husband and I wanted to relax with a British waltz, and couldn't find the music, which was perfectly there, we were just being blind!

Husband had a fall and hurt his wrist, but fortunately no damage and it's okay now. But he had pulled a muscle in his foot over the holiday, and although it was okay for skating, it's sore again now.

Still finding our work on skating in waltz hold is frustrating - but at least the coach was looking out for Husband's errors as well as mine today! Sure, I'm not perfect - but neither is he!

I am recovering from an upper respiratory tract infection (had no voice over Christmas, which was seriously frustrating!), and kept having to stop to cough. And an hour's lesson when I wasn't quite fit was just a bit too much - I was rather longing for it to be over at the end.

phoenix
12-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm with you, Mrs. Redboots--ever since I got my partner I read your posts w/ renewed interest! It is NOT easy learning to skate with someone, and the simplest things can be really difficult if you are not in sync with each other. Stuff that has never once been an issue when skating with my coach, are now things we just can't get right.

Perfect Gift: Well......nothing perfect, but I'm very willing to take small progress! Things are slowly improving w/ our timing in killian hold, which I still loathe. About 1/2 the time now I do it right, but only if we're going quite slowly. Our waltz position stuff is actually pretty good, we just need to work on getting closer together. Starlight isn't bad, we're still only doing the first half of the dance (before it gets hard :twisted: )

Return: Partner keeps telling me to give him more pressure w/ my right arm in waltz, but he's not giving me any pressure back! So his arm ends up way behind him if I push my arm into him & he's not happy w/ the pressure if I don't. :frus: Other thing is he keeps telling me I'm "leading"--meaning I'm setting the pattern......but we're in waltz position doing the Starlight, so I'm going backward. I was always taught that whoever is going down the ice first (which would be the backward person in waltz hold) is the one who sets the depth of edge. How can I possibly follow his depth if I'm going down the ice first???????????????? I don't understand that, & I'm thinking he's wrong about it......but he's the higher level skater so my opinion doesn't really matter....coach will have to settle that one.

batikat
12-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Well having said I'd wait til the new year to start lessons with my new coach - old coach has moved away Boo Hoo :cry: - both my daughter and I ended up having lessons today. There were only 4 of us on the ice at the very civilised time of 9-10am and since the others were an adult friend and her daughter who is my daughter's friend it was very nice.

Since the new coach had never taught me before, we went through some basic moves for him to see what I could do and then through the single jumps and basic spins. He is a very much more technical coach then my previous coach which is good in some ways, (sometimes I really need someone to tell me what to do with my arms!) but not so good in others, (in that he seems to want different things to previous coach which is a bit confusing right now).

Of course my loop jump which worked great while practising, simply refused to work properly once new coach was looking. :oops: We also worked a bit on the flip which I have landed but am having trouble with now. Again new coach does things differently and I am trying to adjust. I think it will work out and technically should improve my skating but I do miss my old coach as we always had fun and good chats as well as skating.

jazzpants
12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
PERFECT GIFT!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG

HOORAH!!!! WOO HOO!!! Enjoy, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!! :mrgreen:

Sk8pdx
12-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Perfect Gift:
-- has my first lesson with my new coach today.
-- I can see progress in my upright spin
-- had fun at power skating class forgetting how old I really am
Store Return:
-- after power skating class, agony set in and I remembered how old I really am. :evil:

frvanilla
12-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Perfect Gift:
I received a free iPod shuffle just in time for Xmas. It was as a bonus gift for signing up for a cell phone deal~

I'm getting a hand from my old coach to fix my lousy flip and loop jumps, which were both cheated thanks to my current coach. :frus: I'm trying the loop jump from a mohawk entry and it feels great!!!

Store Return:
I'm only stealing ice time here and there because my rink is still closed for the holiday. :oops:

Skate@Delaware
12-29-2005, 08:13 AM
This is for last night's practice; which generally sucked! (I was tired)

Store Return: Loops?!? What the ??? Hubby took video (link posted on loop thread) and upon review I'm tempted to give up, but I really want this jump! I was depressed last night after seeing it.....yuk! AND I have video proof that I'm drooping my wrists (again)...

Perfect Gift: My spins were really good last night (thank goodness!) and the ice was really, really nice!

For Today:
Store Return: Today I hit the rink; it was really crowded as there were 225+ people (mostly kids, of course)!!! I tried to work on the loop entrance, riding the edge and working on my posture (upper body upright, etc). but got tired of dodging little kids. They were falling all over the place! I only managed 2 waltz jumps and one salchow before giving up on it. One kid even fell into me, almost knocking me over!

Perfect Gift: before the second busload showed up, I had enough room to spin, and managed about 8 spins, 7-10 revs each; fairly centered!!!! Yay!!!

Mrs Redboots
12-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Store Return: For some reason, we were very late going to the rink, and so only really had an hour on the ice. However, it was probably long enough - I'm still a bit "chesty".

Perfect Gift: Our chassés in waltz hold were about the best we've ever done, fast, curving, really on edges! I think the difference was that Husband remembered to look over my right shoulder, and I looked over his, and it really did seem to make a huge difference. The swing rolls weren't quite so good, but still better than usual. We had spent some time working on my Mohawk, too, and finally put it all together and did one pattern of the Swing Dance - of course, the Mohawk fell to pieces, but there you are!

Store Return: We also worked quite hard on the end pattern of the Fiesta Tango, which I do find very frustrating as Husband's is so good and mine's so awful.... somehow, we can't seem to "split the difference" when we do it together, and it's even worse than when I do it solo!

Perfect Gift: As I was out of breath by then, we finished by working on some of the highlights for our free dance - the lift, and some of the other bits we're hoping to put in.

Store Return: The spin was so funny, though - we did a quite beautiful spin, but went so fast on the backspin section that neither of us could control our free legs, so the dismount didn't work at all, and we ground to a halt.

Then on the way home, Husband was nag, nag, nag about my driving until I gave up in disgust and made him drive all the way! Sheesh.....

jenlyon60
12-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Aren't passenger-seat drivers fun :roll: :roll: :roll:

Skate@Delaware
12-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Then on the way home, Husband was nag, nag, nag about my driving until I gave up in disgust and made him drive all the way! Sheesh.....
Mine does the same thing!

Summerkid710
12-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Perfect Gift: Axels coming back. By 40 mins into the freestyle I was hitting every one. Last week, I worked on flying camels with coach trying to correct a technique problem I've had for oh, 17 years. Came out yesterday and did the corrected version on the first try. Yay! Love it when the coaching sinks in real quick.

Store Return: Still takes 40 mins to do axels. Rockers and counters are ugly and I haven't even put them on the Novice moves pattern yet.

jazzpants
12-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Store Return: I am still sick with the flu (though feeling much better now :) ) DH went to the doctor and I "tagged along" for the ride. Doctor look a quick look at me and suggested that I stay home from this flu. He promptly told me that I'm too sick to make the trip to Hackensack and the Moves Guru's is pretty booked at this stage! So it looks like I'll only have one lesson with him. :cry: (Am so :frus: about it! I really wanted to see him again to do one more lesson with him before I go home.)

FLU BUGS SUCKS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Terri C
12-30-2005, 02:39 PM
This is for yesterday and today:
Perfect Gift:
It does pay off when you do your program everytime you skate. My freeskate runthroughs got better throughout the week and today on lesson with Primary Coach, did a good runthrough with 2 out of the 3 spins nailed. One of those spins was the sit! :D

Store Return:
Yesterday the session was cut short due to hockey :roll:, and the ice was cut the night before and left there- no fresh cut in the morning.
There is a test session next week and it's starting to get crazy and then on top of that, today's session was partially in the dark.

samba
12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Store Return: For some reason, we were very late going to the rink, and so only really had an hour on the ice. However, it was probably long enough - I'm still a bit "chesty".

Wish I had a chest.

My hubby says nothing but the tell tale signs are there, his foot goes on the imginary break and he has this awful habit of rubbing his hands together when he is nervous, which in cold weather is half convincing but not in the middle of summer. As for me when he is driving, my knuckles go white.

Hope you feel better soon Annabel
Grace

sunshinepointe
12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Perfect Gift -

I got to go skating again today, woohoo! Lol. I also ran into another fellow adult skater that was "displaced" and he said that all of our old group is taking lessons at this other rink, so I'm stoked that I'll have my buddies around again, I miss them so much!

Store Return -

Session was super crowded! Can't wait until the kids are back in school :twisted:

So my skate comes untied, I go and retie it...I proceed to do a flip jump upon coming back on the ice and I go down? Look at my skate - ITS UNTIED AGAIN?!?! Sheesh.

I also tried spinning, salchows, waltz jumps - anything that required my left foot was NOT working. I come off the ice, check my blades, and lo and behold the screws are coming out of my blade, therefore the blade was shifting back and forth. It's a wonder I didn't break anything today.

Overall it was a good practice day - I definitely need some coaching though, need to be challenged and push for harder stuff. Right now I'm just kind of doing the stuff I know. Hopefully the group lessons will be good enough, and maybe I'll pick up a temporary coach since I haven't been able to contact my old one. This is the last day of skating for 2005, so if I plan on landing my axel in 2006 I need to get crackin.

coskater64
12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
What? Ice Skating? Me? not this week, did go into to sign forms for competitions. Very hard work.... :lol:

Skate@Delaware
12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
What? Ice Skating? Me? not this week, did go into to sign forms for competitions. Very hard work.... :lol:
Why'd ya have to remind me? I missed an entry deadline so now I'll have to wait a whole month....
On the other hand, it will give me more time to polish my routine (and get my stamina back-haven't done any full run-throughs in about 2 weeks, since my pneumonia left, I'm still a bit tired). It needs tons of polish!!

mikawendy
12-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Mine does the same thing!

Mine too, then when I do it right back to him he won't take it! :lol: :roll:

jazzpants
12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Then on the way home, Husband was nag, nag, nag about my driving until I gave up in disgust and made him drive all the way! Sheesh.....Sounds exactly like my husband and me!!! LOL!!! I drive, he nags, I pull off the road and said "You think you could get there better! YOU DRIVE!!!" :evil: That usually shuts him up (usually.)

Casey
12-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Went to a crowded daytime session today. The ice was kind of hard, which was a really bad combination with my skates which have gotten dull and needed sharpening a week or two ago. After about an hour of losing edges and doing really lousy spins, I got off the ice, dug my sharpening stone out of my bag, and sharpened the blades the best I could right then and there. Got back on the ice and it was like night and day. Suddenly could spin again - so easy! Edges were much, much better. It wasn't quite like a fresh professional sharpening, but it was quite tolerable. Felt good to be back on the ice. Can't wait until Monday when I get to go back to the regular rink.

Skate@Delaware
12-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds exactly like my husband and me!!! LOL!!! I drive, he nags, I pull off the road and said "You think you could get there better! YOU DRIVE!!!" :evil: That usually shuts him up (usually.)

OMG! That's sooooo funny!

I did that once-and he told me to get out of the driver's seat! He ended driving home.... I didn't challenge him again, but when he gets really bad with his nagging, I just turn the radio up (I can claim bad hearing most of the time anywho!):halo:

He brings up my accidents....but I was hit by other people!

Debbie S
12-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Perfect Gift:
Well, I took the day off from skating (I usually practice on Saturdays) and went to the holiday/winter show at one of the rinks where I skate. The theme was "Road to Excellence" and the skaters performed to numbers that had been used in previous Olympics. The kids were adorable and it was fun to watch - although it was freezing! My mom (who came with me) joked that the experience was preparing us for Nats in St. Louis in a few weeks; I reminded her that arenas have heat!

Store Return:
Literally - I got my Klingbeils yesterday (which was very fast, considering I'd only gone for a fitting 2 weeks ago) but there are problems. For starters, they made the heel too high - they measured the heels of my current skates (SP Teri) and said they would make the new ones the same height (1 3/4 ", although the SP Teris are actually 1 5/8 ") but the new heels are just about 2". I assume it'll be easy for them to shave off 1/4" or so, but then there's the larger problem: they're too big. I first thought it was both the length and the heel being too wide, but I think if there were less room in the toe area, my heel would probably stay put. I'm going to call them on Monday, and I hope they'll be at Nats so I can talk with them there, since I'm not up for another trip to NYC. I was really hoping to have the new skates broken in by NYI - grrr.

Adding to my frustration, my new dress arrived Thursday. I had ordered a custom dress from Del Arbour, based on a stock style but in a color they didn't offer in the stock version. To be sure of the sizing, I ordered the stock version of the dress before I ordered the custom, was satisfied that it fit, so I ordered my dress. Well, either I've gained weight over the past 3 weeks (which I don't think is likely b/c I really haven't been eating more than usual) or whoever cut the dress used slightly different dimensions b/c the dress feels a bit tight. I think it'll be OK (a larger size would be too big, I think) but the neckline is very uncomfortable. The dress has stretchy mesh fabric around the shoulder area and there is a piece of elastic that goes around the neckline (that goes from the collarbone area in the front to a V-line in back) - I had the dress on for 5 minutes and had red marks along my collarbone and shoulders.

I'm wondering if I could get them to change the elastic to make it less tight, or possibly get a dressmaker to fix it myself. Since I asked Del Arbour to make the sleeves a certain amount shorter than the standard sizing, the dress is non-returnable - I assumed after trying on the stock dress that the dress would fit. Maybe it's b/c the material is different - the stock is velvet, my dress is lycra. Grrr - why is it that nothing ever works out the way it's supposed to? Has anyone else had this problem with a dress? Any thoughts as to how I could make the neckline more bearable? I was thinking about getting someone to put stretch velvet in place of the elastic, but I have absolutely no design sense so I have no clue if it is even do-able.

Terri C
12-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Perfect Gift:
Showed up at freestyle today even though I had skated all week. Another adult skater, new to the area shows up as well! Turns out that I had met her a couple of years back at the New Years Invitational and she is also working on Bronze moves and had her first lesson today with my coach!!
Given that there are very few adult skaters in my area, this rocks!!

Store Return:
Looks like I'll be getting ready for Bronze Boot Camp here- as long as I pass my test when I do take it, it will be worth it!

mdvask8r
12-31-2005, 03:38 PM
I first thought it was both the length and the heel being too wide, but I think if there were less room in the toe area, my heel would probably stay put. . .

. . . I assumed after trying on the stock dress that the dress would fit. Maybe it's b/c the material is different - the stock is velvet, my dress is lycra. . .

Debbie, My Klingbeils felt the same when I got them. I found that I was not getting my heel all the way back into the pocket. Once I tapped it into place and snugged the laces over my instep/ankle area the fit was perfect. I also put a thin Dr Scholls insole in the front only to take up a little space in the toebox.

For the dress -- yes, the velvet generally feels more stretchy than the lycra & the lycra should be cut a bit larger. I've found this with FriedaB dresses too.

NoVa Sk8r
12-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Oh, cool! I know her (YG), since she took lessons with my singles coach. I can attest that she is a hoot and a half!

Perfect Gift:
Showed up at freestyle today even though I had skated all week. Another adult skater, new to the area shows up as well! Turns out that I had met her a couple of years back at the New Years Invitational and she is also working on Bronze moves and had her first lesson today with my coach!!
Given that there are very few adult skaters in my area, this rocks!!

mdvask8r
12-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh, cool! I know her (YG), since she took lessons with my singles coach. I can attest that she is a hoot and a half!
Oh yes, I know who you mean. Gosh , it's been ages since I've seen her at the rink. So good to hear she is still skating!!

Skate@Delaware
12-31-2005, 06:14 PM
The dress has stretchy mesh fabric around the shoulder area and there is a piece of elastic that goes around the neckline (that goes from the collarbone area in the front to a V-line in back) - I had the dress on for 5 minutes and had red marks along my collarbone and shoulders.

I'm wondering if I could get them to change the elastic to make it less tight, or possibly get a dressmaker to fix it myself.

Call Del Arbour and explain the situation and the problem you are having with the dress-ask them to adjust it for you. There is no reason for it to fit like that (leaving red marks)! I would do that first. If they are unwilling to adjust it, then take it to a seamstress (but only as a last resort). It sounds like you can live with the snugness of the rest of the dress-can you move in it?

I have found dresses with mesh to be tighter than either stretch lycra or stretch velvet:evil: of which no mention is ever made when ordering these dresses! I have since stayed away from ready-made dresses with mesh!! (two bad experiences) I mean, come on, I don't have stick arms!!!

Terri C
12-31-2005, 06:23 PM

NoVa, great to see you back on the boards!!!

NoVa Sk8r
12-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh yes, I know who you mean. Gosh , it's been ages since I've seen her at the rink. So good to hear she is still skating!!And wowie, T, I've not seen *you* in ages either!

mdvask8r
12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm still around, Nova. Keeping very busy out at Waldorf & Ashburn. I WILL see you at New Years, yes??? :)

NoVa Sk8r
12-31-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm still around, Nova. Keeping very busy out at Waldorf & Ashburn. I WILL see you at New Years, yes??? :)Waldorf *AND* Ashburn? That's quite a spread!

No, I won't be skating at the NY's Invitational. But you might see me there as a volunteer.

ETA: I actually might be at Ashburn on Monday to get a lesson and to get my blades sharpened (the best sharpener I've ever used, who's at Ashburn Pro Shop, is back in town for a few weeks!). Perhaps I will see you there ...

Skate@Delaware
01-01-2006, 08:04 AM
We (hubby, son and I) went to the rink's celebration last night and had a blast! They limited the crowd a bit more, but there were more kids (mostly behaved). Didn't care too much for some of the music, but I didn't bring my cd's so I can't complain too much. Hubby wore his new skating pants that I made for him-stretch black gabardine with silver piping down the side-very flashy and nice, fit him better than his other pants and not as big in the leg.

Food was good! All finger food (I wish they would serve some of it during regular rink time).

They turned the lights down and had the rope lighting turned on-made it really nice! They zammed the ice every hour!

Only had one near-hit when one kid (teenager) almost hit me when I was spinning-it was weird cause I saw him coming and I yelled at him to stay away! He veered off at the last minute8O . When I saw him later I asked him about it-he said he didn't know what I was doing!?!?! Kids!

So, right after midnight, all the kids skated down and did a huge slide on the ice, then made ice angels! Then, all the figure skaters did all their jumps and spins for good luck!

I finally went to bed at 2 (of course, got up a little after 8).

The only downer was finding out that the adult skate is officially defunct! So that means no skating on Sunday afternoons at all. That's ok though, as show rehearsals will start up in 2 weeks so that will make up the hour.

And, we found out that the ice dance class is officially on!!!! Yay! So we told the director (who was there last night) that we are on!

It was fun! If anyone has thought about doing something like this (who's rink doesn't have this celebration) it is good fun! It was $10 per person if you are a couple, $12 for singles, $7.50 for kids under 12 which includes the food and skates. We had also thought about renting a room in the AmericInn hotel across the street so we could go swimming/hot tubbing, but scratched that idea (we only live 8 miles away). They limited it to 125 people, which made it nice-not too crowded!

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Happy New Year, everybody!

We went up to the Somerset House ice rink last night to see the New Year in. I'm very glad we went - it was an experience - but I'm not totally sure I would do it again. We had paid quite a lot of money for what was basically an hour's skating on a very small, very crowded public session (yeah, well, what did you expect), and because it was dark, you couldn't really tell you were in the open air. But it was fun, especially at first when all the people who hardly ever skate were clinging to the boards - once they got their confidence up, it wasn't so good, although Husband enjoyed dodging them. We skated together a bit, and one or two other friends were there, too.

The ticket fee included free champagne and free hot chocolate, both of which we made the most of, and after watching British champions Sinead and John Kerr do an exhibition (which was fantastic), we went out to the river to count in the New Year (fun!) and see the fireworks (disappointing). The blurb said you'd get a great view of the fireworks, but in fact you didn't really, the river bends too much. All the same, the atmosphere was great.

Although not as good inside Somerset House as the TV presenter would have liked people to think - she was like "It's really buzzing here, aren't we having a great time?" and people very kindly called out "Yes", (actually, we called out "No", because we're Like That!), but it wasn't really the sort of atmosphere she'd have liked - probably because that kind of atmosphere does tend to be fuelled by booze, and they weren't letting people in who weren't sober!

But trying to walk across the bridge afterwards was an experience! It was jam-packed solid with people, and took us a long time to get across. And even longer to drive home - because so many roads were closed, traffic really was gridlocked.

All the same, I'm glad I did it. But another year, I think I'll stay home and watch it on television....

Debbie S
01-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Debbie, My Klingbeils felt the same when I got them. I found that I was not getting my heel all the way back into the pocket. Once I tapped it into place and snugged the laces over my instep/ankle area the fit was perfect. I also put a thin Dr Scholls insole in the front only to take up a little space in the toebox.Nope, my heel was definitely all the way back. Actually, I was supposed to have heel huggers put in and there is no mention on the work order that came with the boots that it was done. If not, that might explain the heel movement. The idea of putting something in the boots to take up space is a good one, but I would worry about it causing the width in the ball area to feel smaller. My last 2 skates were too narrow across the ball, so I now have some bunions (or the beginnings of them) - yuk! One of the reasons I went for customs was to try to get rid of them by having skates with the proper width. I'm calling Klingbeil tomorrow (or Tuesday, if they're not there) - whatever needs to be done, they're going to do it since it's their mistake.

samba
01-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Happy New Year everyone

Annabel I watched Somerset House on the telly last night and tried very hard to find you, I thought maybe you may have had your red covers on, but no I couldnt see you, I was obviously looking at the wrong time because all I could see was wobblies and you certainly don't come in that category.

I agree, Sinead and John were fabulous, I bet they were freezing before they got going.

Cheers
Grace

mikawendy
01-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm still around, Nova. Keeping very busy out at Waldorf & Ashburn. I WILL see you at New Years, yes??? :)

How is the freestyle schedule at Waldorf these days? I looked at their schedule last summer (in the hopes of combining a trip for sharpening with a freestyle session after), but there were not many sessions yet offered.

mikawendy
01-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Only had one near-hit when one kid (teenager) almost hit me when I was spinning-it was weird cause I saw him coming and I yelled at him to stay away! He veered off at the last minute8O . When I saw him later I asked him about it-he said he didn't know what I was doing!?!?! Kids!

I was at a public skate the other day (the first 1/2 hr to hour is deserted enough to get some practice in). A woman got on the ice in rental skates, could barely stroke around, and was carrying her baby in her arms. 8O 8O 8O Another skater I know immediately got off the ice to summon rink staff to ask the woman to not carry her baby on the ice.

This woman didn't even think for a moment of the disaster that could have happened if she had fallen and dropped her baby or worse, if she had fallen and landed on top of her baby.

(Skate@Delaware, sorry to hear about the loss of your adult session.)

mdvask8r
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
How is the freestyle schedule at Waldorf these days?
Still only 2 or 3 FS per week, but there are many light public sessions if you time it right. What time of day would you need?

crayonskater
01-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Nope, my heel was definitely all the way back. Actually, I was supposed to have heel huggers put in and there is no mention on the work order that came with the boots that it was done. If not, that might explain the heel movement. The idea of putting something in the boots to take up space is a good one, but I would worry about it causing the width in the ball area to feel smaller. My last 2 skates were too narrow across the ball, so I now have some bunions (or the beginnings of them) - yuk! One of the reasons I went for customs was to try to get rid of them by having skates with the proper width. I'm calling Klingbeil tomorrow (or Tuesday, if they're not there) - whatever needs to be done, they're going to do it since it's their mistake.

Dumbass question, but are you sure you received the right shipment of boots?

jazzpants
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM
MORE Store Returns:

:cry:
Looks like the "Christmas Crud... eh Flu" is powerful stuff, man! Hit just about everybody on my husband's side of the family.

I was going to finally meet FrankR this afternoon and we were confirming a time.... NO GO!!! FrankR's got the Christmas Crud too!!! :cry: (Get well soon, dude!!! I still want to meet you but I understand if you have plans and stuff.) Hopefully it won't hit the Moves Guru too. :( (Edward, if you are reading this, PLEASE be careful!)

The last time I went skating was at least Tuesday's lesson with the coach at Chelsea Piers (also on the same day I skated at Prospect Park with dbny and had dim sum with her and her DD's and a friend too!) :mrgreen: Was pretty depressed thru out the weekend not only trying to recover from my own Crud, but seems hubby is having a harder time getting over this bug and I had to take care of him too. Hubby suggests that since I'm leaving Tuesday afternoon that I try to sneak in an early morning session with the Chelsea Piers coach instead to cheer me up. (Hubby knows when I don't skate for long period of time that I get majorly grouchy and depressed.)

So I went and called up that coach up and politely asked for another lesson. He tentatively penciled me in for a time Tuesday morning and said that he might not make it on Tuesday but he will try to be there. Why "tentative?" Yup! You guessed it! He's got the same crud too!!! That explains the extra deep voice when he answered the phone too. (Awwww!!! Poor thing... And for all I know, I probably gave it to him too b/c I started getting sick around the last lesson too, though he assures me that he probably got it thru one of the kids too. But I still feel bad. :cry: ) I'll know tomorrow night whether or not I'll see him Tuesday morning. I do hope that he'll pull through though. I want to leave NYC and this year's Christmas trip on a very good note!

So hurry up and get well, Coach!!!! Taking a lesson with you Tuesday morning would be my perfect gift!!! :D

Skate@Delaware
01-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I was at a public skate the other day (the first 1/2 hr to hour is deserted enough to get some practice in). A woman got on the ice in rental skates, could barely stroke around, and was carrying her baby in her arms. 8O 8O 8O Another skater I know immediately got off the ice to summon rink staff to ask the woman to not carry her baby on the ice.

This woman didn't even think for a moment of the disaster that could have happened if she had fallen and dropped her baby or worse, if she had fallen and landed on top of her baby.

(Skate@Delaware, sorry to hear about the loss of your adult session.)
Boy, people are stupid!

Thanks, Mika! I'll be able to make up for the loss of skating time--spring show is coming up, so rehearsals are starting in another week or so......I've already been told my part!

The director thought I'd be upset, but the part fits me to a "T"!! We are doing "Wizard of Oz" and I get to play Miss Gulch! Mean and nasty!!! ;) How did she know?? I'm a little worried about the bicycle part, they are serious about bringing one onto the ice! My husband said he is glad my insurance is paid up!

I've also told her since I'm competing this season, I'm no-go on costumes. That will save me tons of time (I don't make any money on them-only do them at cost).

LoopLoop
01-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Nope, my heel was definitely all the way back. Actually, I was supposed to have heel huggers put in and there is no mention on the work order that came with the boots that it was done. If not, that might explain the heel movement. The idea of putting something in the boots to take up space is a good one, but I would worry about it causing the width in the ball area to feel smaller. My last 2 skates were too narrow across the ball, so I now have some bunions (or the beginnings of them) - yuk! One of the reasons I went for customs was to try to get rid of them by having skates with the proper width. I'm calling Klingbeil tomorrow (or Tuesday, if they're not there) - whatever needs to be done, they're going to do it since it's their mistake.
Debbie, when I got my Klingbeils last summer they were too big when they arrived. I called the next day, explained the problem, and sent them back with a note in the box explaining it again. They fixed the boots immediately and sent them back in just a couple of days. I had expected that they'd be too big initially, since I'd heard that it typically happens if you have narrow feet, which I do.

Mrs Redboots
01-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Happy New Year everyone

Annabel I watched Somerset House on the telly last night and tried very hard to find you, I thought maybe you may have had your red covers on, but no I couldnt see you, I was obviously looking at the wrong time because all I could see was wobblies and you certainly don't come in that category.

I agree, Sinead and John were fabulous, I bet they were freezing before they got going.Actually, probably not, as they warmed up in the boot-taking-off room. The way they do it, you put your boots _on_ in one area (and if you have your own skates, they look after your skate bag for you, which is brilliant!), and take them _off_ in another, so the two sets of skaters don't mix. And Sinead & John were warming up in there, and then when they came on to the ice to warm up, they were wearing jackets.

Our session finished before the broadcast started - but we were all noticeable. I had my multicoloured boot-covers on and a rainbow hat and scarf, Husband had his blade flashers (mine don't fit any more since I got new blades :( ) and AliceM had a bright pink party hat!

Terri C
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Perfect Gift:
A co- worker needs for me to work Friday and be off on Saturday, which is a perfect gift because then I can skate the Saturday morning freestyle and go to the gym in the afternoon. With being off on Friday and a test session at the rink, to do both would have been impossible.

Store Return:
You can take the following back to the store and keep it- FOR GOOD!!!
When the Janauary freestyle schedule came out last week, it stated that there would be both morning (8:30-11:30) and afternoon (2:00-5:50) sessions available.Which was going to work because of today being my first day back at work.
Well I drove a extra 15 minutes (because of a accident on the interstate) in pouring rain to walk into the rink, find a public session on one surface and hockey on the other!! :evil: It also ticked me off that I had checked the rink's website yesterday to make sure that there would be afternoon freestyle ice and there was no schedule online!!
So, I plan on sending a e-mail to rink management, asking who made this decision and more importantly who was responsible to communicate the change to their customers. Especially since one session was cut short last week, thanks to hockey! :roll:

jazzpants
01-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Store Return:

Doesn't look like I'm going to be skating 'til I get back to SF. Chelsea Piers coach is getting worse with the Christmas Crud. :cry: Knowing this flu, he'll probably been off for about, oh, a couple of weeks!!! :evil: (I hope he doesn't have asthma too like hubby. THAT would be really bad!!!)

Even more worried, my MIL is coming down with a temp and she's on bedrest!!! :cry: She was still insistent on serving us dinner (and given the way MIL's are, you never challenge them :evil: ), but I was very insistent that after that she is to go to bed. *I* will deal with the cleanup (as I have pretty much the past two weeks.)

Perfect Gift:

Packin' and leavin', packin' and leavin'... that's all I have to say!!! Can't wait to get back to my own life in San Francisco and to get back to my own home, computer and coaches! I miss them!!! I'll still definitely miss my coach in Chelsea Piers and the Moves Guru. But I'll be back for them the next time I stop by. :)