View Full Version : Adult Skaters - Question re: WARMUPS

TimDavidSkate
12-26-2005, 10:07 AM
:halo: I was just wondering if it would be beneficial if there was music being played during 6 minute warmups. I just hate the silence :roll:

techskater
12-26-2005, 10:32 AM
No. The six minute W/U is intended as time spent getting comfortable with the ice and talking to your coach about minor adjustments. Sometimes I can't hear my coach if the music is too loud.

miss cleo
12-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes! Music during the warm up is beneficial. I checked with a member of the USFS Music committee who told me there is no rule prohibiting the playing of music (soft, background) during the warm up. ISU events play music during the warm up also. It relaxes many skaters and is more entertaining for the audience than 6 minutes of silence.

jazzpants
12-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't mind playing having music play during my test on the 5 step mohawks since it helps keeps me in rhythm, but the judges would frown on that b/c they want to HEAR my edges (picks/skate clumps/me swearing under my breath, etc.) :lol:

I think there's also a safety issue involved in not having music during the warmup too. You don't want to increase your chances of crashing into another skater. (And if you have music on, then you get into the issue of the testers' taste in music, etc.)

TimDavidSkate
12-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I think there's also a safety issue involved in not having music during the warmup too. You don't want to increase your chances of crashing into another skater. (And if you have music on, then you get into the issue of the testers' taste in music, etc.)

Very true, then everybody wants to have the own choice. I just noticed during US Nationals, Marshalls, and the Grand Prix events when music is being played helps to relax the skaters. I think I would be too. Its like being at a public session, it relaxes me :halo:

jazzpants
12-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Very true, then everybody wants to have the own choice. I just noticed during US Nationals, Marshalls, and the Grand Prix events when music is being played helps to relax the skaters. I think I would be too. Its like being at a public session, it relaxes me :halo:iPods? :P (Just kidding!)

TimDavidSkate
12-26-2005, 12:39 PM
iPods? :P (Just kidding!)

im so tempted!!! seriously, they are so small and perfect. Im wondering if the ref would blow the whistle at me and tell me to take it off during warmup :halo:

stardust skies
12-26-2005, 01:12 PM
im so tempted!!! seriously, they are so small and perfect. Im wondering if the ref would blow the whistle at me and tell me to take it off during warmup :halo:

Wearing anything that covers your ears during a warmup is super dangerous...sometimes a couple of people on freestyle have worn them and I have had to go tell them to take them off- it's way too dangerous, as there is no way they can hear another skater coming their way, and usually these are the types of people who don't even look in the first place (not talking about you). But I mean, you can't wear headphones while driving so you can hear honking, you shouldn't try to wear them skating cause you can't hear people calling out or even the movement of another person.

On another note, I think music on warm ups is absolutely necessary (for me). I'd feel worse after a warm up if music weren't playing. Thankfully they've always been good about that at my comps. Hope you guys find a middle ground to make everybody happy.

Terri C
12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Heck, they do it at US Nationals in the warmups, why noy adult competitions?
Kurt Browning said once that a silent warmup makes being on the ice "like death out there."

TimDavidSkate
12-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Heck, they do it at US Nationals in the warmups, why noy adult competitions?
Kurt Browning said once that a silent warmup makes being on the ice "like death out there."

Should I ask the adult nationals officials?

doubletoe
12-26-2005, 06:59 PM
It may be up to the hosting club, since they are the ones who need to get voluteers to play the music. Knowing Murphy's Law is alive and well, it might create some new problems in the form of (a) some skaters complaining that the music is distracting, or (b) the music person forgetting to adjust the volume down during the warmup and then back up for the first skater's program music.

slusher
12-26-2005, 07:32 PM
We always get music during freeskate warm up. It's usually the choice of the rink/music person so we've had everything from the hockey team warm up CD (yo! AC/DC rulz!) to a music lady whose tastes leaned to Frank Sinatra. yup. AC/DC sure gets your legs pumping.

(would enjoy having 6 minute warm up. Got 2 minutes on my last comp, on a 3 minute program.)

Skate@Delaware
12-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Wearing anything that covers your ears during a warmup is super dangerous...sometimes a couple of people on freestyle have worn them and I have had to go tell them to take them off- it's way too dangerous, as there is no way they can hear another skater coming their way, and usually these are the types of people who don't even look in the first place (not talking about you).

I sometimes wear headphones while running through my routine on freestyle session (and sometimes on un-crowded public sessions). I do make an announcement that I am doing my routine and wearing headphones, and there will be jumps and spins. All because we aren't allowed to play our music rinkside anymore (and the front office people suddenly say "we don't know how to operate the cd player" :twisted: ).

I only put one earpiece in (my bad ear) and crank up the volume :frus: and I still look behind me. I leave my good ear "free" so I can hear (especially my toepicks scratching on those darn back crossovers....)

sk8er1964
12-26-2005, 11:29 PM
If it were some sort of soft, non-vocal, non-jazz soothing classical music I would be ok with it. Anything else, no way.

Mel On Ice
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
no. I've been out on the ice with someone wearing earphones and she was completely oblivious to everyone around her. And I don't find it distracting to skate in silence, it helps me focus.

Skate@Delaware
12-27-2005, 11:50 AM
no. I've been out on the ice with someone wearing earphones and she was completely oblivious to everyone around her. And I don't find it distracting to skate in silence, it helps me focus.
I like the silence also. What suits one person musically, annoys another! My daughter likes to skate to Black-Eyed Peas, which I find annoying to listen to, she dislikes my Xanadu soundtrack. :lol:

flying~camel
12-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Quite honestly, if there was music playing, I probably wouldn't even notice. I tend to be more focused on what I'm doing rather than what's going on in the background.

mskater
12-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd prefer to have some music playing in the background - the louder the better actually:] Perhaps an "easy listening" station? That way no one gets 'offended' by the music selection. That dead silence does nothing but magnify my nervousness...

stardust skies
12-27-2005, 02:58 PM
I sometimes wear headphones while running through my routine on freestyle session (and sometimes on un-crowded public sessions). I do make an announcement that I am doing my routine and wearing headphones, and there will be jumps and spins. All because we aren't allowed to play our music rinkside anymore (and the front office people suddenly say "we don't know how to operate the cd player" :twisted: ).

I only put one earpiece in (my bad ear) and crank up the volume :frus: and I still look behind me. I leave my good ear "free" so I can hear (especially my toepicks scratching on those darn back crossovers....)

Well that's a different matter entirely, and you're being super responsible and considerate about it, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Plus your rink claims it can't play rinkside music anymore? What a bummer.

daisies
12-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Perhaps an "easy listening" station? That way no one gets 'offended' by the music selection.
Actually, being a rock and alternative music freak, "easy listening" offends me greatly. ;)

skaternum
12-27-2005, 04:18 PM
No. I don't want the distraction, and I don't want to have to endure someone else's idea of "good warmup music." As we can see from this one thread, there's no agreement on what's "good."

mskater
12-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Actually, being a rock and alternative music freak, "easy listening" offends me greatly. ;)

Hey, I was trying to compromise, I'm a hardcore rap fan here;]

Skate@Delaware
12-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Well that's a different matter entirely, and you're being super responsible and considerate about it, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Plus your rink claims it can't play rinkside music anymore? What a bummer.
Yeah, it really sucks...it was the HOCKEY guys that busted it, but now EVERYONE is banned from using it :cry:

They won't even let us sign out a key and have a music monitor like normal rinks. They are perfectly willing to play our music up front, but they either:
-don't know how to operate the cd player in the front office (depends on who's working
-can't remember which track you said you needed played
-only play it once
-you have to keep running back and forth between the rink and the front office to tell them to play another skater's cd-then they get ANNOYED! :twisted:
-sometimes they aren't there because they are "doing maintenance" or something and then you are out of luck

thanks for listening

mdvask8r
12-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Wow. SkateDelaware, I think you need to get some better answers over this music problem. One of the biggest features of expensive freestyle ice is the opportunity to play & skate to your program music. You pay for that, they need to find a way to provide it. I wish you the best in getting this resolved.