View Full Version : Skating on the holidays - just how addicted are you, eh?

Casey
12-26-2005, 01:13 AM
So I went skating Christmas day! Yay! And, I've done a bit of research and there's a rink that's about an hour from me which is having a session from 8:00pm - 1:00am, so I can skate in the new year too! Anybody else so hopelessly addicted?

sceptique
12-26-2005, 02:46 AM
I almost went - my rink was having admission-free public skating on Xmas day.

CoolbugSuz
12-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Out of 8 rinks within an hour of me, NONE were open yesterday. If they had been, I would've been there!! As it was, I just sat around the house doing nothing but watching skating on TV and eating way too much! LOL!!

Suz

batikat
12-26-2005, 07:28 AM
My rink has free admision on Christmas day too but there is no way I'd bother going - so many people pile in they generally run out of hire skates. Now I dont' need to hire skates but if there's that many people in there then I dont want to be - not exactly going to be room to jump or spin and I can do without just skating round in circles with no room to breathe!!!

I stick to patch ice around Christmas time as that is generally very quiet. However we are taking it easy this year since our coach has left and while we might go in on Wednesday (28th) it is more likely we will leave it til the new year and start fresh. New year, new coach!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas
and Happy New Year to all!

Joan
12-26-2005, 07:52 AM
I went to the public session last night - it was a bit crowded but not impossible.

coskater64
12-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, i'm taking a week off. ;) Of course i skate 15-18 hours a week, usually.

sue123
12-26-2005, 10:33 AM
The rink by me was closed. Couldn't go to the ones further away since I had to help with the Hannukah dinner. But I'll probably go tomorrow.

jazzpants
12-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Anybody else so hopelessly addicted?Why do you think I'm here visiting my in-laws in NYC??? :twisted: :P :lol: (Actually, I wanted to skate Christmas Eve and Day, but family plans overruled that decision.)

doubletoe
12-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Uh. . . and what ELSE would we ever do with time off from work? LOL!

SkatingOnClouds
12-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Oh I wish!!!

Our rink is closed for 3 weeks until January 9th 8O

How will I cope???

Karen

Skate@Delaware
12-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Our rink is on holiday schedule-a bit of a mess but they still have freestyle sessions...no way am I going to public sessions while school is out! They closed at 1:30 p.m. on Christmas eve and stayed closed Christmas day (if I only had a key!)

They did add drop-in hockey for the little kids (only little kids), which is a good idea! I heard they only had 3 show up at today's session...

We are going to skate in the New Year! We did it last year and had a blast! They limit the number of people, charge more $$$, have good food and turn down the lights! We had a great time! 9 p.m. to 12:30 and I think it was about $10 a person. Which reminds me, I gotta get some glow necklaces!

I should be able to get most of my normal skating in, even with the holiday schedule.

e-skater
12-26-2005, 06:29 PM
So I went skating Christmas day! Anybody else so hopelessly addicted?
Our rink was closed Christmas day, but yes, I am so very addicted to skating, even during the holidays (which have been just unbelievably crowded.... :evil: ).

I figure there is always something I can work on. It can be frustrating, but today I just made up my mind I was going to make the best of it and do as much as I could. :)

manleywoman
12-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a competition on Jan 20th, so I've been skating my normal schedule, just a bit later in the morning.

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Our rink was closed on Christmas Day, and anyway, we were away. My coach was talking about going in this evening, but there has been rather a lot of snow in his area, so I don't know whether he did. However, we have our lessons tomorrow, as normal.

We are skating in the New Year at the Somerset House ice rink, very expensive, but should be fun!

kayskate
01-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Went to Mexico for the Holidays. No ice there. No pressure. Loved it. Will worry about skating once holidays are over.

Kay