View Full Version : wanting to skate

sue123
12-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Does anyone else get that urge that they just need to skate right now to unwind, or forget about whatever is bothering you, only you can't because it's late and no rink is open. And you can't do any off ice jumps because you live in a small apartment where a) there's no room to jump without hitting something, and b) you live above your grandparents who would think that you broke something if they hear you jumping. What do you do then? And on top of that, you can't just "wait until tomorrow' because it's Christmas and the closest rink will be closed, but even if it were open, you still wouldn't be able to go because you're second-in-command for the Hannukah dinner, in charge of just about everything except the latkes and applesauce. Any ideas?

dbny
12-24-2005, 04:52 PM
A quick spin around the block on roller blades?

The Ice Demon
12-24-2005, 05:16 PM
I know the exact feeling you mean, had that feeling after my dog was put down this week and just had to get on the ice on Friday to let it all out!

If I'm feeling like that and can't get ice time for whatever reason, I go out for a run or fast bike ride and stay out 'til I'm exhausted or feeling better. I'm lucky though because I feel safe running alone no matter what the time is or how dark it is.

KatieC
12-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been feeling like that for the last 5 months, until a new rink opened up just two blocks from the office. I just have to get some exercise or it's multiple trips to the chiro for me. I do choreography in my head sometimes, or figure out some new moves. But nothing beats flying on skates :) Ever tried 3 turns in socks? Spins on the kitchen floor?

Ice Demon, I'm sorry about your dog.

sue123
12-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Can't spin on the kitchen floor, it's too small of a kitchen. It's one of those galley kitchens, or whatever they're called, so if I'm standing in the middle, my hips are touching the table on one side, and the sink on the other side. Doesn't exactly work all that well. And three turn in socks are hard to do on carpeting. I'd get stuck.

Can't go for a run either, since it's too dark. I don't exactly live in the safest of neighborhoods, where I'd feel comfortable running or bike riding or roller blading at night. I would normally be able to go to the gym at school since it's free, but at home, there is unfortunatly none of that. Oh well. Maybe I"ll go running tomorrow morning

SkatingOnClouds
12-24-2005, 07:33 PM
skate spinners can be good, as you don't need much room. A little frustrating as it isn't exactly like on ice, but at least you get that sense of movement.

Karen

stardust skies
12-24-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree with everyone, just do some other form of excercise, like go for a run. It isn't the same, but so long as you do aerobic excercise, your body will release the happy hormones you're craving.

PS: I saw the post above me after I posted...I would reccommend wildy against spinners, they will screw up your spins royally. You'll get used to putting your weight on the wrong part of your foot and it'll be a disaster once you get back out there. Plus if you have carpet...forget it, it won't stay stable and that is dangerous.

mikawendy
12-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I agree with everyone, just do some other form of excercise, like go for a run. It isn't the same, but so long as you do aerobic excercise, your body will release the happy hormones you're craving.

PS: I saw the post above me after I posted...I would reccommend wildy against spinners, they will screw up your spins royally. You'll get used to putting your weight on the wrong part of your foot and it'll be a disaster once you get back out there. Plus if you have carpet...forget it, it won't stay stable and that is dangerous.

Plus if you lose your balance in your small apt. you could go ricocheting into furniture and make a huge noise that your grandparents would definitely notice (plus you could hurt yourself or the furniture in the process)

sexyskates
12-25-2005, 09:37 AM
I get that urge to skate too! Any exercise helps to get the endorphins going. But working on off ice stuff really helps my skating. If there is not enough room to jump or spin in socks, you can still work on entrances to jumps by just walking through them. Also standing in front of a mirror and doing plie's (sp?), and reach backs for the lutz, toe loop, entrance into axel etc helps to get a straight back and good body alignment. I find if I do these exercises when away from the ice, that when I get back, my jumps are straighter in the air.

My condolences on the doggie :cry:

Skate@Delaware
12-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Sometimes, when it's impossible to skate or hit the gym or even go outside for exercise, I pop in a skating tape or go over my training journal and re-vamp my plan. I might find something that hasn't been worked on in a while. Or, I do stretching in my room.

It's better than nothing :cry:

dbny
12-25-2005, 11:26 AM
(((((The Ice Demon)))))

What Skate@Delaware said! I watch (study, really) tapes of favorite skating events. I look at all the little stuff, like crossovers, three turns, and Mohawks. Just watching the elite skaters has improved my skating at times.

SkatingOnClouds
12-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Hmm, thanks for the feedback about skate spinners.
I bought one to try to overcome my dizziness in spinning , but have been frustrated that a) I can't find my balance on it and b) i hasn't helped my on ice spinning. well scrap that bit of advice then.

Karen

samba
12-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Hmm, thanks for the feedback about skate spinners.
I bought one to try to overcome my dizziness in spinning , but have been frustrated that a) I can't find my balance on it and b) i hasn't helped my on ice spinning. well scrap that bit of advice then.

Karen

Hi Karen

I wasted my money on one of those, the best thing I found when starting spins was a large piece of polished formica and wearing a pair of cotton socks, that was much better in the early days, these expensive gadgets are ok if you can actually spin in the first place and even then you have to be really good and keep to the same spot, in which case you really dont need an aid.

Cheers
Grace

sue123
12-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I ended up watching figure skating on TV yesterday, life feels much better. I was also running around all over yesterday picking up last minute things we forgot for dinner, so it is possible that all the walking from the store to my house helped also.