View Full Version : need advice on getting some skates

hector
12-24-2005, 02:41 PM
i'm size 12 shoe but have always used size 11 ice skates at rinks, i go about once a month or so, hopefully more in the future. As for my skill level i can skate forwards/backwards and spin once in flight, never had lessons or anything and i dont intend to but thats where i'm at.

anyway i have odd shaped feet, they are about size 10 in length 11 in width and 12 in hight i always have problems with the top of my foot rubbing the top of the skate and my ankle rubbing the side aswell.

my budget is about £150 tops and they must not be ugly as sin (i don't think i could take wearing nike/rebok skates) the more plane they are the better.

any advice on what to get is appreciated.

jp1andOnly
12-24-2005, 02:46 PM
are you looking for figure skates??

hector
12-24-2005, 02:48 PM
if you think they would be good for me sure, but i just go skating with friends every now and again, i dont intend to enter figure skating competitions or anything

i know ~nothing~ about ice skating other than you skate like you inline skate on ice and it's fun.

Debbie S
12-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Riedell makes pretty good rec level skates. I started out in those - I think the model number was 117. IIRC, they were $75.

dbny
12-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Riedells run narrow, and since your feet seem to be on the wide side, I would recommend Jackson instead. Take a look at the Jackson Freestyle. The boots is heat moldable. It may be more than you need, but if you are wearing a size 12 shoe, then you probably have the weight to compensate for the stiffness of the boot.

Are the rentals you've been wearing figure or hockey? Hockey skates have blades that look the same in the back and the front. Figure skates have blades with a toe pick (teeth) at the front and a tail (flat projection of the blade) at the back. Figure skates are easier to learn in, but since you already know how to skate, you should go for what you are used to. Don't be surprised, however, if after you get new skates, you start wanting to learn more and more. You can learn all sorts of fun things without ever competing or testing. For example, forward and backward crossovers, smooth two foot turns, one foot turns (best on figure skates), spins in place (only on figure skates), and jumps.

doubletoe
12-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree. Try Jacksons.

hector
12-24-2005, 05:03 PM
i can do all those, oh and the rentals have been figure type skates but most of them don't have the teeth at the front, i think. I can do all the things you describe as the result of skating with a friend in an exerting "hey look what i can do, i bet you cant do it" manner until we give up due to injuries.

i had a look around the jackson site and they look nice though does anyone know a shop in london i can try before i buy?

thanks everyone this is much appreciated.

oh and i'm 170 pounds, so i'm not that heavy.

dbny
12-24-2005, 06:48 PM
i can do all those, oh and the rentals have been figure type skates but most of them don't have the teeth at the front, i think. I can do all the things you describe as the result of skating with a friend in an exerting "hey look what i can do, i bet you cant do it" manner until we give up due to injuries.

i had a look around the jackson site and they look nice though does anyone know a shop in london i can try before i buy?

thanks everyone this is much appreciated.

I didn't mean at all to imply that you were overweight! :oops:

There are skaters here from London, so maybe one of them will check in with info later. Keep checking back. I think a lot of people may be busy with the holidays right now.

The Jackson site says to contact Tournament Sports (http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/contact-International.html) for retailers outside of the US and Canada.

doubletoe
12-26-2005, 05:00 PM

No, you are not "heavy" at all in the general sense. However, most figure skating boots are made for girls that weigh 80-90 pounds, so 170 lbs is considered "heavy" in the world of figure skating boots. ;)

hector
12-26-2005, 05:26 PM
ah, i was applying the american stereotype to heavy....

stardust skies
12-26-2005, 05:43 PM
No, you are not "heavy" at all in the general sense. However, most figure skating boots are made for girls that weigh 80-90 pounds, so 170 lbs is considered "heavy" in the world of figure skating boots. ;)

Most of the guys don't really weigh much more than that, either. ;)