View Full Version : New Year's Inv. Who's going??

mdvask8r
12-23-2005, 05:38 AM
Entry deadline is Jan 3. Will you be there? and what events do you plan to skate? Ladies Silver IV for me, and if I can get them in reasonable shape by the deadline I'll enter Silver Spins also -- yes, that's right, the one with spins in both directions! Come on guys, give it a shot! We'll all laugh together! ;)

In case you need to look again, announcement is here:

www.wfsc.net

Debbie S
12-23-2005, 11:15 AM
I'll be there! I'm doing Pre-Bronze FS and Bronze MIF (and will try not to make a fool of myself on the 8-step - it's a bit above my head as I haven't even gotten through Bronze moves yet - but I'm just doing that event for the experience - although I think it would have made a lot more sense to have both of the moves be from the Bronze test).

I hope I'm not the only Pre-Bronze II. Last year, in (old) I, both of my competitors looked really young. If I am the only II, I hope they put me with the III's rather than the I's - I'm 34.

CanAmSk8ter
12-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm leaning toward going. This will be my first freestyle competition since 2001. I'd be competing in Silver I, probably Silver compulsory moves, and maybe moves in the field (I forget which level, but it's the one with one Intermediate move and one Novice. I've hardly worked on novice moves *at all* but the spirals are the one move on that test that I'm actually halfway decent at).

sk8pics
12-23-2005, 12:02 PM
I'll be there, doing pre-bronze freestyle (waves to DebbieS!) and interpretive. I had real doubts about this new interpretive program, but yesterday I was able to skate the whole thing with all the jumps and without forgetting any of the choreography and finish on time with the music, and only clutched my coach's arm once! Hopefully it will improve further. I'm also hoping that my coach will be able to come along. He will have several students there, so hopefully it will work out.

coskater64
12-23-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm going, even though it's gonna be tough. I'll skate Master's FS, Master's spins and Silver solo dance. I was going to do more but my sectionals are the very next week.

mikawendy
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm going! I'll be doing Bronze FS. I contemplated doing the MIF event, but I really would rather focus on getting my Bronze moves ready to test instead of learning and practicing something from the Silver MIF test. And if Pre-Bronze spins were offered, I'd do that, but I don't have any of the spins in the Bronze spins event.

sk8pics, that's great that you'll be doing interpretive. I have some music I want to show my coach for an interpretive program, but nothing ready in time for NYI.

Terri C
12-23-2005, 04:07 PM
I'll be there, doing Pre Bronze free and possibly Interp, with maybe a little mischief in between! :twisted: :halo:

TimDavidSkate
12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I will be sending my application next week.

I will be doing the Silver Men's FS ;)

e-skater
12-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I'll be there, doing Pre Bronze free and possibly Interp, with maybe a little mischief in between! :twisted: :halo:

Terri, best of luck with your skate(s). I hope you have a GREAT time!!! :)

e-skater
12-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I hope I'm not the only Pre-Bronze II. Last year, in (old) I, both of my competitors looked really young. If I am the only II, I hope they put me with the III's rather than the I's - I'm 34.
You will be fine......you are a young whippa snappa, Debbie S. You could be me, 53, skating with 25 year olds, like we have to at our rink at our USFSA thing......as there are never enuf adults to do age groupings....

sk8pics
12-24-2005, 07:43 AM
sk8pics, that's great that you'll be doing interpretive. I have some music I want to show my coach for an interpretive program, but nothing ready in time for NYI.

Well, we'll see how it goes, LOL! I picked this music out quite a long time ago, some time last summer, I think. It's going to be challenging but I really like the program so it should be fun! Good luck in your music/interpretive quest!

sexyskates
12-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I'll be going too - have to get that application in the mail (along with applications for easterns and nationals). I'll be skating Silver 4 Free and the Interp. And I will try those Silver Spins, to laugh along with you on that ridiculous "spins in both directions". I was waiting to see if I could actually get 2 revolutions on my bad side somehow. Also I'm working on Gold Moves, so I want to do them. However, I can't seem to get any power on those Novice Spirals. It's a dying spiral by the end of it. I only started work on the move after seeing the application. But my coach thinks it's good to work on. So I'm signing up for the Gold Moves and I don't care if I come in last (my double back inside 3's are pretty bad too, but I am improving them with the incentive of this comp).

Ellyn
12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm going to be doing bronze MITF and bronze spins. Because of lack of time to train a program and injury to my landing leg I haven't been jumping and won't be competing freestyle this year.

Just for kicks I was playing around with spins in both directions, although my coach doesn't think my sitspin is low enough for me to enter silver spins instead.

I found I can do three revolutions of attitude spin clockwise, but then I can't get directly from that spin into the counterclockwise spin -- weird that the "bad" direction actually works better. Maybe I should try starting with the good side, coming to a complete stop, and then starting the bad side? Not that I'm going to use it for anything any time soon.

skate1965
12-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I'm going if I can quickly get a confirmation on if I'm traveling for work or not... I really enjoyed the competition last year.

Tim

Raye
12-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I really wish I could come, but this year it is not possible. Bummer!! Next year though.....

Terri C
12-27-2005, 03:54 PM
My entry form went in the mail today and I also started working on my freeskate again! Thank God we have 5 1/2 weeks- I have no stamina and my spins sucked!

Also, booked my hotel room last week!

NaomiBeth1
12-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I sent in my application yesterday for Silver Free, and made my hotel reservation. I finally just got my music cut with only 4 weeks to choreograph this thing!

Sexy Skates...I gave up spinning righty!

sk8pics
12-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Naomi and Terri,
Where are you guys staying? I think I stayed at a Marriott Courtyard last year. Just curious. I have to get my application in the mail!
Pat

MusicSkateFan
12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
:roll: Aghhh...I guess I need to fill out that application! I will do Bronze Men free and maybe the Bronze Compulsory Moves...My coach says I must being that it is my home club hosting......Come on Dennis and Beth.....get on the Ball and mail those things in!!

I wish there was a team event...I think that would be more fun than MITF or CM.

I am still on the fence for Adult Nats....Got a few days to think about it yet!

PS
I dont need prompting..I just need to think about making such a trip.

Terri C
12-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Naomi and Terri,
Where are you guys staying? I think I stayed at a Marriott Courtyard last year. Just curious. I have to get my application in the mail!
Pat

I'm staying at the Embassy Suites that was weeks away from opening the weekend of the competition last year. It's literally around the corner from Ashburn Ice House.

Debbie S
12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I finally just got my music cut with only 4 weeks to choreograph this thing!
LOL, Naomi, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose program isn't choreographed yet. My music's cut, and I have my first choreo lesson next week. :)

If I need to stay overnight (it will depend on both financial issues and the schedule), I'll be staying at the Embassy Suites. Someone's got to be Terri's partner in mischief! ;) :halo:

Glad you had a change of heart, MSF. Hey, it'll be your first comp as an official Bronze skater! I guess you decided not to do MIF this time? I'm taking sexyskates's attitude - it's for the experience and I don't care if I come in last (which I probably will - oh well).

sk8pics
12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Terri,
thanks for the tip on the hotel! Sounds like a good deal and very convenient.
Pat

NaomiBeth1
12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Naomi and Terri,
Pat

I'm also at the Embassy. I reserved a room for Friday and Saturday night, however, I have a lot of friends in the area, and depending when my event is, I may not stay in the hotel both nights.

-Nay

sexyskates
12-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Naomi, you gave up on the spins in both directions?!
You are such a good spinner, I figured you would be able to do it.
I only have a pivot spin with the free foot at the side, but I'm up for the challenge (that and the gold moves with the novice spirals !). You skating Parkwood on Sunday this week? It'll be a zoo but I'm working on spins this week and don't need too much space. (And I'm not skating Friday and Monday because of work).

CanAmSk8ter
12-30-2005, 09:55 AM
I take it back- I don't think I am going. I looked at the application more closely and realized they're using USFS rules for free skating- i.e., that you have to have the adult test, not just the corresponding standard test (don't most nonqualifying competitions say either/or?). I haven't taken any of my adult tests yet, and don't have an opportunity to until January 15. That means AN's may well be my first freestyle competition in five years, provided that I can spin the day I test. I hate the idea of going into AN's like that, but what can you do?

Debbie S
12-30-2005, 11:12 AM
CanAmSk8ter, I would e-mail the organizers and explain your situation, and I'm sure they would allow you to enter the comp. It's worth a shot!

sk8pics
12-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Sent in my application today. Made my hotel reservation a couple of days ago.

BTW, for anyone sending a self-addressed stamped envelope, don't forget the postage rates change on January 8.

mikawendy
12-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Sent in my application today. Made my hotel reservation a couple of days ago.

BTW, for anyone sending a self-addressed stamped envelope, don't forget the postage rates change on January 8.

Yikes! Looks like I need to finish up my christmas cards quick! The envelopes don't have room for extra postage and I like the stamps I've got already (Muppets).

TimDavidSkate
01-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I am withdrawing my application to the competition due to medical reasons :cry: Good Luck to all the NYI competitors.

Hope to be there next year :halo:

Terri C
01-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Bumpetty, bump, bump

Tomorrow is the deadline for the undecided or for the "what the heck I'll go types"!!

skatingatty
01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Darn, I won't be going this year either. I think I've been there every year since the competition first began (in 2002?). My dad's coming to visit that weekend. If ya'll are going to easterns, I'll see you guys at Eastern Sectionals!

mikawendy
01-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I am withdrawing my application to the competition due to medical reasons :cry: Good Luck to all the NYI competitors.

Hope to be there next year :halo:

Sorry to hear you won't be there this year. I hope you're doing okay.

dcden
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Will send off application today.

Also, I got a notification that my inbox was full, so I guess someone was trying to PM me. I've tossed out a few PMs so I can receive the PM now...

NoVa Sk8r
01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
I was just asked to do the pairs event, as well as the gold spins event (only one entrant in each of these categories :?? ).
Let's see if I cave in ...

Terri C
01-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I was just asked to do the pairs event, as well as the gold spins event (only one entrant in each of these categories :?? ).

Aww, we know you will! :twisted:

Debbie S
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Sucker! :lol:

Seriously, I hope you (and Loops) will compete. Would you be doing Silver Pairs or Gold Pairs? (are Lee and Andrea the other pair?)

jazzpants
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Let's see if I cave in ...Let's see how well you resist the "Dark Side of the Force." http://forums.ravensoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/duel.gif

Seriously, you and Marna are well liked and they need one more pairs competitor. I guess the question is do you stay on the sidelines, or do you two both say "Let's ROCK!!!" and go for it! :P

(ETA: I'd say "Fight the dark side like hell. Use the force, Luke!!!")

LoopLoop
01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
NoVa and I decided to do pairs so that Andrea and Lee (yes, it's them) can compete; we weren't planning on competing at NYI since I've been away most of the past month with family crises.

I don't have a freestyle program at the moment so I won't be skating in any other events, just pairs this time.

flo
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Loops, hope all is ok.
I won't be competing - hopefully working on a new program! ;)

NaomiBeth1
01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a lot of people aren't going this year. This is my first NYI event so I was hoping for a big group.

It's surprising to hear that there aren't many contenders for gold spins (I can't do a flying sit to save my life - so you won't see me entering). Hopefully, it's still early, and last minute post-marked applications are still coming in. I thought the turnout would be greater than Halloween Classic.

LoopLoop
01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I think the turnout may be smaller this year because sectionals takes place only two weeks later, so a number of people probably had to choose between the competitions.

skate1965
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Unless my work travel changes, I can't do the competition now. I'll be on the West Coast that Friday. I really hate that because the New Years is a great competition and I had a personal part of the Welcome packages there.

Terri C
01-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Based on past history, I think the schedule should be out this week!!
Can't wait!

Debbie S
01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
I got an e-mail on Friday (at least, I think it was Friday - Nats was so busy I lost track of the days!) saying that the schedule would be posted on the Wash FSC website this week. There was also a request for additional competitors in some events - Pre-Bronze CM (well duh, you put in a move - waltz 8 - that hardly any Pre-Bronze skaters are practicing), Gold Spins, and the group Interp were the ones I remember off the top of my head). The e-mail said they were still going to hold the events, but they'd like more people.

Hey NoVa, are you doing Gold Spins?

NoVa Sk8r
01-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey NoVa, are you doing Gold Spins?Nuh-uh!
One of the requirements is a flying sit spin. Last time I tried that, I ended up with a pinched nerve in my back (which prevented me from taking my silver FS test before the moves were put into effect).

Anyway, I asked the organizer if I could do a flying back spin (not the same as a flying reverse sit spin, which has that tuck position). I was told that it wouldn't count. Oh, well.

Yeah, their reply of "Well, you can learn a flying sit spin in a few weeks" was not very convincing. :roll:

Debbie S
01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Anyway, I asked the organizer if I could do a flying back spin (not the same as a flying reverse sit spin, which has that tuck position). I was told that it wouldn't count.Do you mean a death drop into a back sit? Many elite skaters do that for their flying spin requirement, and that seems to count. If it's good enough for the Olympics, it should be good enough for NYI. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing you and Loops!

NoVa Sk8r
01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Do you mean a death drop into a back sit? Many elite skaters do that for their flying spin requirement, and that seems to count. If it's good enough for the Olympics, it should be good enough for NYI. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing you and Loops!No; I mean jumping over right to the back sit, sans an arabian/butterfly entrance.

Too bad, or else I would have entered gold spins.
And it's sad that I find the master's spin category easier than the gold! :roll:

coskater64
01-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually on the announcement it says: flying sit spin, may land in f or b sit. So either a forward or back sit. You should enter the gold spins. :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
01-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, yes, that is what the announcement states, which gave me a glimmer of hope. 8-)
With that in mind, I initially thought about entering the event.
Follow-up e-mails confirmed my suspicions about the FSSp (in CoP talk): the flying sit must contain the tuck position. In other words, ya gotta hit the sit position in the air before ya land on the ice. I jump into the back spin and hit the position as I hit the ice. No dice.
Maybe next year?

flo
01-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Interesting sit discussion. I 'm now doing a camel-jump-back sit.

mikawendy
01-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I got the e-mail from the organizers mentioning that they could use more entries in certain events--so I'm now signed up for the Pre-Bronze CM event. This is actually good for me because my salchow is pretty lousy and the waltz 8 in the CM event will help me with some of the transitions on the 5-step mohawk. So now I have my work cut out for me at practices from now until then--practice my FS program, my CM stuff, and keep working on Bronze MIF, which may or may not be ready to test 2 weeks after the competition! 8O

flo
01-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Mika,
In what events do they need entries?

NoVa Sk8r
01-20-2006, 02:33 PM
The organizer said that they were successful in finding key skaters to enter and have only one event where we have had to disappoint an entrant. (I believe this event is the master's men event.)

Debbie S
01-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Tim e-mailed the schedule to everyone tonight, so you should have it in your mailboxes.

Both of my events are on Sunday morning - again! Oh well, I like how they're not starting the events (and the practice ice) at the crack of dawn. It's sort of odd how they divided up the Silver Ladies FS between the 2 days.

Terri C
01-21-2006, 05:08 AM
Tim e-mailed the schedule to everyone tonight, so you should have it in your mailboxes.

Both of my events are on Sunday morning - again! Oh well, I like how they're not starting the events (and the practice ice) at the crack of dawn. It's sort of odd how they divided up the Silver Ladies FS between the 2 days.

The schedule missed my mailbox, but I've sent Tim another e-mail with a alternate e-mail address. Sheesh- I hate competing the freeskate on Sunday mornings! I've done it on three other occaisions and I've always tanked!

Moto Guzzi
01-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Debbie S, how long do the events run on Sunday? I plan to be there but have a meeting in Silver Spring at 12:30. If I remember correctly from previous years, the competition usually ends around noon, doesn't it?

Debbie S
01-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Moto Guzzi, the events on Sunday run from 9:30 to 1.

Terri, check your e-mail. :)

TimDavidSkate
01-21-2006, 08:19 PM
So how many Silver Men we have this year?

Moto Guzzi
01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info, Debbie S.

coskater64
01-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Wow, there are a lot of Master's Ladies, 8 other than Silver ladies that's one of the largest groups. Even though it's 1,2 &3 combined.

Terri C
01-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Pre Bronzers are no slackers- there are 9 of us total, with at least 5-6 from outside the DC area!!!

mikawendy
01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
TerriC and sk8pics and others--looking forward to seeing you there!

To those who are familiar with Ashburn Ice House, how cold does it get in there? (For comparison's sake, does it get as FRIGID as at the Halloween Classic up in Aston?)

And if I recall correctly, the Ashburn rink is close to a Wegman's grocery store, right? If so, mmmmmmm. My parents took me to the one in Fairfax and it was a surreal experience.

skaternum
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
To those who are familiar with Ashburn Ice House, how cold does it get in there? I think it's one of the coldest rinks I've been in .

And if I recall correctly, the Ashburn rink is close to a Wegman's grocery store, right? If so, mmmmmmm. My parents took me to the one in Fairfax and it was a surreal experience.Boo yeah!! See page 3 of my 2005 NYI gallery (http://saybee.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01). I'd never heard of Wegman's until my partner turned us on to it. OMG!!

Debbie S
01-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I think it's one of the coldest rinks I've been in .
I think it depends on the outside temperature. Last year, I thought it was fairly warm (for an ice rink in February, that is), but then again, it was about 60 degrees outside. Two years ago, it was pretty cold (and it was in the 30s outside w/ a threat of snow), although I don't think it was as cold as Ice Works.

Has anyone had a problem trying to make a reservation at the Embassy Suites? I've tried calling this afternoon and evening and the phone just rings off the hook, and eventually, I hear a couple of beeps and then silence. It's almost like a pager answering, but I'm not about to punch in my phone number to see what happens (what hotel has a beeper/pager anyway?). I'm using the number given on the NYI announcement and I also called 411 to make sure the number was correct.

sexyskates
01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
I didn't think it was too cold. What's nice is that you can stay warm watching through the glass from the upstairs. I recall that the lobby areas were warm - unlike freezing IceWorks.

sk8pics
01-24-2006, 06:12 AM
I have vague recollections of it being cool, but I don't remember being freezing, and I agree the lobby areas were warm enough. I'm glad at least that I'm not skating at the crack of dawn!

I can't believe it is coming up so fast! I'm trying out my dress for my new interpretive program on Thursday, so hopefully it will fit okay. If not, my fabulous dressmaker will fix it.

Oh, and my coach decided to come since he has several adults doing this competition, so that's good, too!

Terri C
01-24-2006, 08:01 AM
It was warm for me, IIRC, I was taking my warmup sweater off that Friday afternoon and skating in a sleeveless dress. Then again, I skate in a meatlocker on a regular basis!
Debbie, have you tried making your resvervation for the Embassy online- that's what I did!

skaternum
01-24-2006, 08:07 AM
I think Debbie S hit the nail on the head: the rink temperature is closely tied to the outside temp. For several years in a row, it was frigid. Last year wasn't so bad. And it's true that the lobby areas are never bad -- I was just speaking about the ice surfaces. I've also noticed that one sheet of ice is noticeably colder than the other. (Don't know what they're called, so I can't tell you which.)

jenlyon60
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Last year the weather was pretty warm (for January). The previous year or 2, it was really bitter (I remember the wind being extremely nasty as I was unloading cars and what-not with hospitality stuff.)

I am NOT doing hospitality this year, so not sure how much time I will be around to watch the competition.

Debbie S
01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Debbie, have you tried making your resvervation for the Embassy online- that's what I did!I looked up the hotel online and found an alternate number, so I called that this morning and spoke to a live person and made my reservation. The WFSC rate I was quoted was $89 - the rate on the website (they didn't seem to have a special AAA rate - when I entered my number, I got the same rate) was $99. Oh well, every bit I can save helps, right? (it'll just be diverted to other skating expenses - lol)

Hey Jenlyon, I hope you'll be able to make it there for at least part of the comp! I'm going to try to get there on Sat in time for most of the CM events, and I have a friend competing in Bronze FS III. I think I'll check into the hotel during the spin events, and hopefully I won't miss any of the FS and Interp events.

Terri C
01-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Bumping this therad up... since we are a week away!
Did it occur to anyone that there is only ONE freestyle practice on Sunday morning, where there are SIX freeskating events taking place that morning??
I know that buying ice is expensive, but good grief!
I expect quite a few people on the freestyles on Friday afternoon- I will be one of them!

NaomiBeth1
01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Bumping this therad up... since we are a week away!
Did it occur to anyone that there is only ONE freestyle practice on Sunday morning, where there are SIX freeskating events taking place that morning??
I know that buying ice is expensive, but good grief!
I expect quite a few people on the freestyles on Friday afternoon- I will be one of them!

Yep! I signed up for the morning practice on Sunday and I'm sure it'll be packed. I'll likely skate Friday morning on Long Island, NY before we start heading down to Va Friday night. I'm not competing in anything on Sat so, I think I'll just pass on skating at all.

Debbie S
01-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep! I signed up for the morning practice on Sunday and I'm sure it'll be packed. I'll be joining you and Terri on the Sun morning practice ice. There are 30 skaters total in FS events that day - I assume not everyone will sign up for practice ice (then again, you never know....). I'm also doing the MIF practice session the half hour before, since I'm competing in MIF.

Only a week away!

I practiced this morning and got one run-through in with the music. Now my sit spin seems to be fixed, but my backspin's gone AWOL! :frus:

jenlyon60
01-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know if Ashburn rink will cancel it next weekend, but there is usually FS ice in the morning on the "other" rink. How crowded it is seems to vary, plus the early session is a mix and there's often several high-level dance teams on it (Morgan and Max being one of the teams)

Debbie S
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
I stoned my dress yesterday so I'm good to go (well, except that I need A LOT more practice with the program, and a better sit spin and back spin....and I only have 1 week! 8O )! I'm going to practice in the dress tomorrow and hopefully there won't be any disasters.

See everyone next weekend!

Terri C
01-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Our club had a program practice today, since I'll be competing next week and the kids the week after. Had a good program runthrough and actually did a sitspin in program!!:D :D
Now, I need to clean up my ending (funky sal landing and a woknly backscratch) and I'll be set for next week!

Terri C
02-03-2006, 05:19 AM
To everyone driving/flying, a safe trip and I look forward to seeing everyone!

MusicSkateFan
02-03-2006, 06:20 AM
I will most likely be withdrawing due to illness. I have a Dr.'s appt today, we shall see what he says. I may try to do my lesson tonight and see but it does not look good.

:cry:
I have not slept the past 5 nights.....up all night coughing!

Have fun everyone! I will most likely be in BED!:giveup:

skaternum
02-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry to hear that, MSF. Get well soon!!

Debbie S
02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry you're sick, MSF. I hope you feel better soon!

jazzpants
02-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I will most likely be withdrawing due to illness. I have a Dr.'s appt today, we shall see what he says. I may try to do my lesson tonight and see but it does not look good.

:cry:
I have not slept the past 5 nights.....up all night coughing!

Have fun everyone! I will most likely be in BED!:giveup:AWWWW!!! :( Get well soon!!! (I wouldn't go to the rink if I were you! It will make it worse...)

NoVa Sk8r
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Just got back from Cr-Ashburn.
Terri C was in da house!

Loops and I skated decently, considering our ailments (she has an injured back, and I have a sprained wrist--sigh).
We finally decided to do our program, but then the monitor stopped our music midstream. Grrr. :evil: :giveup:

Best of luck to everyone and safe travels as well! 8-)

jazzpants
02-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Just got back from Cr-Ashburn.
Terri C was in da house!WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF.... (Raising fist like Arsenio would do...) GO TERRI!!!! Remember your theme for this year!!! ;) :twisted:

Loops and I skated decently, considering our ailments (she has an injured back, and I have a sprained wrist--sigh).
We finally decided to do our program, but then the monitor stopped our music midstream. Grrr. :evil: :giveup:

Best of luck to everyone and safe travels as well! 8-)Be careful, you two!!! And yes, all of you who are still en route to NYI, please drive carefully!!!

Terri C
02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF.... (Raising fist like Arsenio would do...) GO TERRI!!!! Remember your theme for this year!!! ;) :twisted:

Jazz,
Since you are probably on the hunt for NYI gossip, please clean out your mailbox!!

jazzpants
02-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Jazz,
Since you are probably on the hunt for NYI gossip, please clean out your mailbox!!I just did and I got your PM already... ;)

flo
02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Mika, congrats!!!!
How did everyone skate?

TimDavidSkate
02-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Any results for Silver Men? :lol:

jazzpants
02-05-2006, 11:16 AM
...and the Pre-Bronze Ladies events too please!!! :mrgreen:

Terri, want more NYI gossip too, please!!! ;)

mikawendy
02-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Pre-Bronze ladies skated this morning (Sunday morning), but I wasn't able to go watch--one of my husband's regular customers gave us symphony tickets they couldn't use.

But I enjoyed seeing sk8pics and Terri skate their interp programs yesterday!

Debbie S
02-05-2006, 04:22 PM
...and the Pre-Bronze Ladies events too please!!! :mrgreen:

Got back a couple of hours ago from Ashburn. It was great to see everyone - everyone skated well. NoVa and Loops did a great job skating in Gold Pairs (with a great CoP-friendly death spiral) - I imagine it must have ben hard for the judges to pick a winner as both pairs were awesome. Some friends of mine who will be skating Silver Pairs next year were very impressed. Sexyskates skated another beautiful program and NaomiBeth1, sk8pics, NoVa, MusicSkateFan, Terri C, Ellyn, coskater, and mdvask8r (who was very busy volunteering in the event, too) had great skates in their respective events, as did several "lurkers" (you guys know who you are! ;) ). I also got to see a friend have a great skate and win her FS comp (Bronze III/IV/V).

As for Pre-Bronze Ladies, the quality of skating has definitely improved at this event over the past 3 years. I shudder to think how my (no-test) program of 2 years ago would have looked next to this field. If any of the organizers are reading this, I do think they should consider offering No-Test FS and CM events in future years, like Peach and Halloween do. I didn't see the IV/V group, except for sk8pics, who skated great - I was getting ready for my event. I didn't see most of my group, although I am told the woman who won did singles through loop and a camel spin (and I assume other spins, too). While I was pleased that not all of the judges had me last this year (actually, the majority had me 3rd - I continued my tradition of losing tiebreakers), I felt a bit let down about the results. I was thrilled to have landed a loop in competition (finally!) although I'll have to wait for the video to see if it actually looked like a jump and not a hopped 3-turn. I know I've done that jump better in practice, but after messing up on the backspin :frus: , I think I got a bit tentative when it came to my next "scare" element.

After I skated, I had the chance to talk with a couple of the judges (jenlyon60, thanks so much for your help with that), who said I had good speed (now there's a comment I thought I would never hear about my skating - lol) but that I looked a bit awkward and my transitions and stroking were weak. Hey, at least I've got some speed now. But I know I have a lot to work on to be more competitive.

I was pleasantly surprised not to finish last in Bronze MIF, but I'm kind of annoyed at myself that my crossovers on the BO edge glides were so scratchy. I'd been working really hard to improve that - hopefully the new skates (which I start breaking in tomorrow) will help (and if they don't - uh oh! 8O ). I also suspect that I didn't extend enough on the first push on the back crossovers. As for the 8-step - hey, I stayed vertical, 'nuff said. :)

I'm not sure when I'll compete again. May Day is a possibility, as is the Chesapeake Open. But my priority is to get my Bronze moves passed and improve my freestyle skills. We'll see.

flo
02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Congrats Debbie.
What were the pair elements/results?

Terri C
02-05-2006, 05:18 PM
As for Pre-Bronze Ladies, the quality of skating has definitely improved at this event over the past 3 years. I shudder to think how my (no-test) program of 2 years ago would have looked next to this field. If any of the organizers are reading this, I do think they should consider offering No-Test FS and CM events in future years, like Peach and Halloween do. I didn't see the IV/V group, except for sk8pics, who skated great - I was getting ready for my event. I didn't see most of my group, although I am told the woman who won did singles through loop and a camel spin (and I assume other spins, too). While I was pleased that not all of the judges had me last this year (actually, the majority had me 3rd - I continued my tradition of losing tiebreakers), I felt a bit let down about the results. I was thrilled to have landed a loop in competition (finally!) although I'll have to wait for the video to see if it actually looked like a jump and not a hopped 3-turn. I know I've done that jump better in practice, but after messing up on the backspin :frus: , I think I got a bit tentative when it came to my next "scare" element.

Debbie, I feel the same way you do regarding results and the fact that Pre Bronze free is getting tougher by the year. The winner this year did a camel, and a sit spin, as well as awesome loop jump, while the second place winner had a loop loop combo and a good circular footwork sequence.
I felt let down about the results because up until the final spin in the program, I was skating a clean program and this was in spite of the fact that I had the Competition Warm Up From Hell.
Lessons learned here: Practice and warm up do not mean anything, what you do when you compete in front of the judges does, and do not let your guard down when you're skating a clean program.

Lastly, my "Up Yours" moment of NYI: 5 revolutions in a sit spin that the one judge I spoke with considered a recognizable (sp?) sit!

Debbie S
02-05-2006, 05:36 PM
What were the pair elements/results?Hey flo, I guess you're back from Atlanta? I hope you and Rob had a productive weekend - when will you be practicing up here?

Lee/Andrea won and Loops/NoVa got 2nd - it was close though, a 3-2 split among the judges. Loops and NoVa could probably tell you more about the specific pair elements - I'd probably get the names mixed up :), but I know Lee and Andrea did their back press lift (that's the correct name, right?) and Loops and NoVa did a spread eagle type death spiral (I've seen Inoue/Baldwin and others do that). Both pairs had good side by side jumps and spins and good pair spins and lifts and throws. It was great to see both teams skate so well and make it difficult for the judges. :D

flo
02-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi, I'm back from a great weekend in Atlanta. Our main limitation is time, I can only imagine what we could do if we were in the same area. We'll be in Atlanta next, and back in Balitmore in a few weeks.

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Lee/Andrea won and Loops/NoVa got 2nd - it was close though, a 3-2 split among the judges. Loops and NoVa could probably tell you more about the specific pair elements - I'd probably get the names mixed up :), but I know Lee and Andrea did their back press lift (that's the correct name, right?) and Loops and NoVa did a spread eagle type death spiral (I've seen Inoue/Baldwin and others do that). Both pairs had good side by side jumps and spins and good pair spins and lifts and throws. It was great to see both teams skate so well and make it difficult for the judges. :DLoops and I technically do not do a death spiral: I never achieve the pivot position while Loops is in the arched position. One judge that we spoke to correctly dinged us for that. :oops:

I was astonished by the amount of progress that A&L have made in the past year or so. They skated with an incredible amount of speed, and they even boasted pairs bracket moves. They also had a lutz lift (I think), sbs lutz jumps, some type of sbs spins combo, throw loop, a half back-press lift, back outside death spiral (with him in a true pivot), pair camel/alligator spin, as well as some other moves.

Loops and I were happy with our performance. I made a slight error in the spiral sequence. Usually, the hard part is switching edges; after that Loops does an Ina Bauer, then I swoop by her, and we do catch-foot spirals. I forgot about her Bauer, so there was a little stumble/loss of cadence there. I think she may have made as light bobble on footwork into our split twist?
And I made a technical glitch on the split twist: Instead of catching Loops in thr air, I pretty much just broke her fall and she fell back down to Earth. That slight difference--catching her in the air vs. letting her fall and placing her on the ice means the difference between a twist lift and a throw jump. One judge either downgraded our twist or credited us with a throw lutz. That was interesting/surprising to hear.
Another interesting note is that Loops and I are a silver pair team who skated up to the gold level. We never really adjusted our program to meet the well-balanced gold pair team requirements. One of these elements is a side-by-side solo jump; we only did a sbs jump sequence. So one judge dinged us for that. D'oh! :oops:

Overall, we skated pretty tentatively. I was a bit apprehensive because I had suffered a sprain in my right wrist the week before, and we had been unable to practice throw jumps or any lifts. I decided to just do these elements and deal with the pain and soreness later. My brain is happy, but my wrist is now angry.

We spoke at length with a few of the judges (and some coaches who watched--our coach was not there) and we learned more than ever about pairs elements, how they are judges, what our strengths and weaknesses are, and what we need to do to progress and clean up our basic skating and some program components and technical issues. We are forever grateful to those judges who took time to speak to us, even though we knew they had a long day and that sometimes it's hard being approached and explaining your marks. :bow:

I can't speak for Loops, but I was happy with our skate. We fixed a few synchronicity problems that snagged us at Halloween Classic. And a judge told us that we looked like we belonged in the gold pairs event. That was incredibley nice to say, and I feel like we can comfortably move up to the gold level next season if we want.
And thanx for all the kind words that many of you told us about our skating and our program. It really means a lot.

Oh, our elements were:
axel lift, pair spread eagle into throw salchow, sbs sit-change sit spins, footwork into split twist, full-rink pair spiral with change of edge and catch-foot variation, forward inside "death spiral" where I am in an inside spread eagle position, footwork into toe/mazurka/salchow, pair camel-switch-alligator spin.

flo
02-05-2006, 07:06 PM
NoVa, I heard you two did a great job. What's an allegator spin?
Do you know where the lifts are valued/grouped? We're deciding our lifts, axel, twist, loop and lutz.
congrats to you both and thanks.

Terri C
02-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Another interesting note is that Loops and I are a silver pair team who skated up to the gold level. We never really adjusted our program to meet the well-balanced gold pair team requirements. One of these elements is a side-by-side solo jump; we only did a sbs jump sequence. So one judge dinged us for that. D'oh! :oops:

What??
I'd think that a SBS jump sequence is harder to do in pairs, but I'm a singles skater, so what do I know??:??

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2006, 07:19 PM
We needed to do a sbs solo jump AND a combo or sequence.

NoVa Sk8r
02-05-2006, 07:27 PM
NoVa, I heard you two did a great job. What's an alligator spin?
Do you know where the lifts are valued/grouped? We're deciding our lifts, axel, twist, loop and lutz. Congrats to you both and thanks.Alligator? I think you call it a catch-waist (or, er a crocodile :P ) spin?
Basically, we're both in the camel position, but we face in different directions and we hold each other's waist and free leg.

Here's the gold pairs judging list:
http://www.usfsa.org/content/Acc_F-36c-AdG-Prs.pdf
(so you cann we lost 0.2 for the missed sbs jump.)

I don't have the USFSA sheet that lists the lift groupings, but you can see them here:
http://sk8stuff.com/f_recog/pairs/recog_p_lifts_index.htm

ETA: Check out pages 2 (Rule 313, paragraph 5), 6 (Rule 321, paragraph 2), and 10 for the ISU definition, groupings, and points values:
Communication 1319 (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-166267-183485-89562-0-file,00.pdf)

flo
02-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Terrie, for gold pairs you need a sbs solo and combo or sequence. We tried throw flips- I'd not done them - they were fun.

flo
02-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks! I want to try a cartwheel lift. Anyone ever done one?

TimDavidSkate
02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Nova did you skate in singles?

LoopLoop
02-06-2006, 08:33 AM
This competition was overall pretty relaxed for me; I only skated pairs with Nova. We skated pretty well this time, not perfectly, but considering both of our injuries and the fact that we haven't had a whole lot of practice time over the past two months, it was satisfactory. Andrea and Lee have improved SO MUCH :bow: over the past year it's amazing. They looked fast and strong, and confident, and we were pleased that it was a split decision by the judges.

As Nova mentioned above, a couple of judges were generous with their time and gave us some good feedback and suggestions. Both that we spoke to mentioned that our split twist needs a more definite CATCH; Nova tends to grab my waist and slow down my descent, but the judges indicated that he needs to really catch me and show that he's setting me down on the ice with control. So that gives us one specific thing to work on, in addition to the already-mentioned lack of pivot position in our death spiral.

I watched the video, and our sbs spins were pretty good; we were right on for the first few revolutions, lost it at the change, but got it back and came out *perfectly* together. And then we were a little off as we did our steps leading into the twist, and I almost tripped 8O .

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2006, 08:43 AM
And then we were a little off as we did our steps leading into the twist, and I almost tripped 8O .LOL! Someone told me that you did this, and I said, "What? No she didn't. Don't'cha think I would have noticed?!" Clearly, I didn't notice, so it wasn't a problem ... for me. 8-)
I think I threw you too high in the air--the photographer caught a very surprised look on my face (8O) as I was about to "catch" you.

LoopLoop
02-06-2006, 09:02 AM
The stumble wasn't RIGHT before the twist, it was on the steps coming out of the sbs spin. Not quite as scary!

2salch0w
02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
This competition was overall pretty relaxed for me; I only skated pairs with Nova. We skated pretty well this time, not perfectly, but considering both of our injuries and the fact that we haven't had a whole lot of practice time over the past two months, it was satisfactory. Andrea and Lee have improved SO MUCH :bow: over the past year it's amazing. They looked fast and strong, and confident, and we were pleased that it was a split decision by the judges.

As Nova mentioned above, a couple of judges were generous with their time and gave us some good feedback and suggestions. Both that we spoke to mentioned that our split twist needs a more definite CATCH; Nova tends to grab my waist and slow down my descent, but the judges indicated that he needs to really catch me and show that he's setting me down on the ice with control. So that gives us one specific thing to work on, in addition to the already-mentioned lack of pivot position in our death spiral.

I watched the video, and our sbs spins were pretty good; we were right on for the first few revolutions, lost it at the change, but got it back and came out *perfectly* together. And then we were a little off as we did our steps leading into the twist, and I almost tripped 8O .

Congrats to the crAshburn pairs contingent for putting on a great competition and thanks for posting this synopsis. I wish I was there to cheer you on. Good info on the split twist - I mean, I knew you were supposed to clearly catch, but nice to know just how much they're looking for it.

Where can I see the full results?

Tim

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Where can I see the full results?http://users.erols.com/wfsc/docs/2006_NY_Invitational_Results.pdf

jenlyon60
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
WFSC web guy will probably post the results in a few days on the WFSC web site.

jenlyon60
02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
http://users.erols.com/wfsc/docs/2006_NY_Invitational_Results.pdf

I think we hit Submit Reply at the same time!

flo
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Congrats to all.
NoVa and Loops, any information from the judges on the elements you could pass on would be apprecieated. I did see that the group 3 lifts are not permitted, like the cartwheel, but I'd like to try one. The back press nor combination lifts are also not permitted at gold. Good thing we took out the platter-star this year;) .
Hope all are recovering from injuries and better soon!

jazzpants
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Congrats to all you skaters who competed at NYI!!! :bow:

Pre-Bronze is definitely sounding like it's getting tough. Loop and a camel spin!?!! EEEEEK!!! 8O

Terri C
02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Pre-Bronze is definitely sounding like it's getting tough. Loop and a camel spin!?!! EEEEEK!!! 8O

IMHO, Pre Bronze is getting to where it's a Bronze event minus the lutz!

jazzpants
02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
iMHO, Pre Bronze is getting to where it's a Bronze event minus the lutz!If it's any consolation, I've been preparing my current FS program as if it was a competitive Bronze program for the last two years, minus lutz and any combo spins. I still don't think I'll put in my camel-sit spin combo though for Sectionals. But I'm still practicing it, if nothing else, b/c primary coach keeps asking for it lately at each lesson that we do spins on. :P

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
If it's any consolation, I've been preparing my current FS program as if it was a competitive Bronze program for the last two years, minus lutz and any combo spins. I still don't think I'll put in my camel-sit spin combo though for Sectionals. But I'm still practicing it, if nothing else, b/c primary coach keeps asking for it lately at each lesson that we do spins on. :P

That's what I've been doing, too--I'm prebronze, but I've been (trying to) treat my program like a Bronze program and I've skated up to Bronze. However, I feel like my speed and technical elements aren't yet competitive at Bronze. So I keep trying to push myself to skate faster and push harder, but I still often feel I'm the slowest skater in the bunch that I'm skating with.

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I keep forgetting to mention this, but thanks to Tim Fisher, jenlyon, mdvask8r, and all others who put in their hard work to make this event run smoothly! :D :D :D I also really enjoyed the Imagica ice theater exhibition, so thanks to whoever arranged that. And thanks skater1965 for the skater's honey! I overhead more than one person asking where you were this year.

And thanks to sk8pics and LoopLoop for putting me on the ice for my events and generally helping me stay calm beforehand! I didn't feel too too nervous but I felt like a real space cadet right before I skated each event.

Debbie S
02-06-2006, 03:49 PM
iMHO, Pre Bronze is getting to where it's a Bronze event minus the lutz!Yes, Pre-Bronze has definitely gotten stronger than it was a few years ago. That's why I have issues with people who think Pre-Bronze isn't challenging. Every time I've competed, I've added something new, but I still find myself "behind" a bit technically. Oh well, motivation to keep improving, I guess. I'm glad that I've at least got more speed now, since that's very important in Bronze (well, at every level). My friend who won Bronze III flies across the ice!

e-skater
02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Debbie, I feel the same way you do regarding results and the fact that Pre Bronze free is getting tougher by the year. The winner this year did a camel, and a sit spin, as well as awesome loop jump, while the second place winner had a loop loop combo and a good circular footwork sequence.

Lastly, my "Up Yours" moment of NYI: 5 revolutions in a sit spin that the one judge I spoke with considered a recognizable (sp?) sit!

YIKES! re the content of PB programs! 8O I'm not a competitive skater, in terms of skating primarily to compete. That is really a lot for PB....loop loop? Wow. Even though I've passed AB MIF, I would need a level lower the PB if I were going to compete at one of these technical events (and I've never competed in a technical event)!!!!! LOL!!!!!:D

GREAT JOB on the sit, Terri! :bow: Will you please fly out to CA to help me with mine??? Good comment from the judge....that's what I'm looking for.... a "recognizable" sit!

e-skater
02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
While I was pleased that not all of the judges had me last this year (actually, the majority had me 3rd - I continued my tradition of losing tiebreakers), I felt a bit let down about the results. I was thrilled to have landed a loop in competition (finally!) although I'll have to wait for the video to see if it actually looked like a jump and not a hopped 3-turn.

After I skated, I had the chance to talk with a couple of the judges (jenlyon60, thanks so much for your help with that), who said I had good speed (now there's a comment I thought I would never hear about my skating - lol)

I was pleasantly surprised not to finish last in Bronze MIF

Debbie, GREAT JOB on your skate. YAY on landing a loop in competition. Also, good feedback from the judges (didn't quote all of it above) AND GREAT COMMENT ON SPEED. That is a real plus, so good for you. Best of all, wasn't it great not to finish last in Bronze MIF!!!!! Good job.......and hope your new boots work out.

sk8pics
02-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, my turn to post comments! I had a fabulous time! Really they did a great job running the competition and the ice was great! I also survived my two practice sessions, one alone and one with my coach.

I was very happy with how I skated both my programs, and thanks to everyone (lurkers and posters!) for your kind comments about my Pink Panther program. I had a lot of fun with it and really couldn't have asked for more from it, especially since it was only about a week since I first skated it on my own, without my coach hovering nearby! I was also happy with my free program, especially since I could not do my waltz-toe loop combination (such as it is :roll: ) in practice to save my life. My coach told me he was going to bonk me over the head, and I certainly needed it as it was all in my head. When it counted, I did it, not great but much better than it had been. That's the last time for that program, so I'm glad it ended on a good note.

I thought Andrea and Lee were great, and Loops and Nova, too! Loved the death spiral even though they didn't get credit for it. DebbieS was so much faster than the last time I saw her skate! I noticed it in the practice when she zoomed by me and did a waltz jump, and I was just, wow!

I also second the comments about pre-bronze technical elements, wow, it just gets harder all the time.

I'm glad to have helped people where I could. Mika did a great job, and so did Terri. And I was standing right nearby when DebbieS did her loop jump. Very cool.

Oh, the other cool thing was how many people ran over and hugged me after I finished my interp program. I was shaking like a leaf from all the adrenaline, and one person even had to put my watch back on me for me since I just couldn't do it, LOL!

So now I'm taking a break from competitions for a while, got to get some more speed, and more jumps, and all that! But I will be back at this competition next year, I'm sure!

Pat

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Pat!

Did anyone get info on the event photographers? I stupidly forgot to stop by their station before I left at the end of the day. I'm hoping there's a web site somewhere, especially as the video folks didn't get my CM event (since it was on 1/2 ice with another event going on at same time, and they had one video camera).

Beccapoo2003
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Wow! Sounds like you all had fun! Thanks for the reports!
Skating hugs,
Becca

Debbie S
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks, sk8pics! I've been working on skating faster. I realized tonight (as I tried to stay out of others' way while breaking in new boots - if the judges thought I looked awkward yesterday....) that one of the things that's helped me get more speed is skating on crowded sessions and having to dodge dance teams and all the kids. I also think working on the Bronze moves has helped a lot - I sure hope the judges at my MIF test will notice the improvement.

Debbie, GREAT JOB on your skate. YAY on landing a loop in competition. Also, good feedback from the judges (didn't quote all of it above) AND GREAT COMMENT ON SPEED. That is a real plus, so good for you. Best of all, wasn't it great not to finish last in Bronze MIF!!!!! Thanks! I imagine MIF is a hard comp to judge, b/c we all do the same thing and the judges also aren't used to having to rank people on moves. When you think about it, placement really isn't important - what was important to me was to skate my alt BO edge glides (8-step was a lost cause) better than on my test (even though I passed that move, I still got comments). I sort of succeeded - I think I had pretty good ice coverage and speed, but OTOH, I was still scratchy. I've still got work to do before retrying.

Ellyn
02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I was thrilled to have landed a loop in competition (finally!) although I'll have to wait for the video to see if it actually looked like a jump and not a hopped 3-turn. I know I've done that jump better in practice, but after messing up on the backspin :frus: , I think I got a bit tentative when it came to my next "scare" element.

It looked like a loop to me, although a bit small. And you looked sooo happy to have landed it. :)

I'm not sure when I'll compete again. May Day is a possibility, as is the Chesapeake Open. But my priority is to get my Bronze moves passed and improve my freestyle skills. We'll see.

I'll see if I can get my (bronze) program ready for one of those spring events. I'm too busy this winter to have trained it for New Years, or for the club events in March.

Debbie S
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
And you looked sooo happy to have landed it. :)
LOL! Yep, I've tried that jump 4 times in competition now, so I was very pleased that I finally landed it. One of the pictures showed me right after the loop when I turned toward the other side - except that instead of smiling, my face is kind of contorted.

I wonder how many tries it'll take for the backspin. :oops:

MusicSkateFan
02-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Well it was a rough skate for me on Sunday. My cough medication left me bassically hung over. Scratchy skating....two footed my toe loop after waltz....stumbled into what was supposed to be flip,loop and only did flip. Traveling upright spin...missed footwork into sal....sal was ok...missed footwork into spiral.....spiral was slow and not my best.....did an ok lutz after spiral and then sit spin to final was ok....glad it was over. I guess I was happy that I made it through...Tried to run it the night before and I couldnt get through it so......Coach wants me to sign up for both CRC and WFSC comps!:frus:

dcden
02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Question: Which NYI skater had Philip Dulebohn as a coach? I admit I was surprised to see him there... it's always great to see former Olympians coaching adults.

I ask because I wonder if he'll be back coaching his student at future competitions... if so I'll remember to bring my camera!

Dennis

2006 recipient of the Ed trip-on-my-toe-Pick-en award

NoVa Sk8r
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Question: Which NYI skater had Philip Dulebohn as a coach? I admit I was surprised to see him there... it's always great to see former Olympians coaching adults. I ask because I wonder if he'll be back coaching his student at future competitions... if so I'll remember to bring my camera!Loops and I met him at the Halloween Classic--he was hanging out in the snack bar area. We even snatched a photo with him. He was very nice, and he told us some stories about his and Tiffany Scott's competitive career and training methods/habits.

2006 recipient of the Ed trip-on-my-toe-Pick-en awardLOL! :lol:

sk8pics
02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Question: Which NYI skater had Philip Dulebohn as a coach? I admit I was surprised to see him there... it's always great to see former Olympians coaching adults.

Actually, Philip had 4 students of his there. He came to the Halloween Classic last November (as NoVa said) and usually comes to Skate Wilmington, and other competitions not too far away, and we all appreciate it! He is very supportive of adult skaters and a great coach! Funny story: a poster on this board who collects autographs of clockwise skaters asked both him AND me for our autographs at HC; it was pretty cool!

BTW, Oleg Ovsiannikov was there, too, coaching a couple of adult students, and he complimented me on my interpretive program. 8-)

Debbie S
02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
BTW, Oleg Ovsiannikov was there, too, coaching a couple of adult students, and he complimented me on my interpretive program. 8-)
I thought that was Oleg. Cute story about Phil Dulebohn - when he met me at HC, he immediately pronounced that he wanted to skate pairs with me (well, it would only take me about 20 years to get to Masters level.....). At NYI, he again mentioned that I would make a great pairs skater, as did the pairs partner of a friend of mine. The problem is, I may be the right size, but I am definitely not fearless - hey, it's taken me 3 years to get the loop (and a baby loop at that). :oops:

Congrats, dcden! I was wondering what that trophy you were carrying was for. What exactly is the Picken award for?

MSF, your spiral was great, as was the rest of the program. Maybe it wasn't your best, but be proud of skating so well despite being sick.

As I write this, I'm trying to get a doctor's appt. I woke up yesterday with a sore throat, developed a fever during the day, and went to one of those urgent care centers (Patient First for those in my area) after work where they did a strep test and said it was negative and that I have the same bug that's going around and I can expect it to take 2-3 weeks to go away. 8O I think I'm going to get a second opinion, especially since my throat looks the same (I'll spare the details) as it did when I had strep in October. Yuck! Plus, I just started a new job and I'm in an intensive new employee orientation. All the Tylenol and Chloroseptic is making me woozy!

jazzpants
02-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Funny story: a poster on this board who collects autographs of clockwise skaters asked both him AND me for our autographs at HC; it was pretty cool!Another clockwise skater here!!! :mrgreen:

NaomiBeth1
02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Funny story: a poster on this board who collects autographs of clockwise skaters asked both him AND me for our autographs at HC; it was pretty cool!

I heard about that at HC. But somehow I must have missed the autograph collector. I am CW too, as were 2 others on my team (2 lefts don't make a right) for the team event.

dcden
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Congrats, dcden! I was wondering what that trophy you were carrying was for. What exactly is the Picken award for?
I have the same bug that's going around and I can expect it to take 2-3 weeks to go away.

Funny, a number of us at Wash FSC are sick too, including me. I have a bit of a sore throat. I'm no epidemiologist, but I'd say you caught the NYI bug.

The Ed Picken award is given every year to the highest placing Washington FSC skater in a NYI event randomly chosen prior to the competition. The award is named in honor of Ed Picken, who founded the NYI event in 2002 and who passed away on 12/29/02. The award was first given at the 2003 NYI.

Debbie S
02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm no epidemiologist, but I'd say you caught the NYI bug.Uh oh! I hope you guys get well soon! After talking to my doctor on the phone this afternoon, she diagnosed me with strep (it's going around) and called in a prescription to the pharmacy for a Z-pack. Hopefully, this crud will go away soon!

I have a lesson tomorrow that I don't want to cancel, so I'm really hoping I feel better tomorrow!

Terri C
02-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Uh oh! I hope you guys get well soon! After talking to my doctor on the phone this afternoon, she diagnosed me with strep (it's going around) and called in a prescription to the pharmacy for a Z-pack. Hopefully, this crud will go away soon!

I have a lesson tomorrow that I don't want to cancel, so I'm really hoping I feel better tomorrow!

All this posting about a post NYI funk going around makes me glad I took the week off the ice, but will start back in the gym tomorrow.
I was sooo tired that I fell asleep Monday night while watching Skating with Celebrities.

sk8pics
02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I heard about that at HC. But somehow I must have missed the autograph collector. I am CW too, as were 2 others on my team (2 lefts don't make a right) for the team event.

Ha ha, yes, I remember that! She must not have seen you skate, because your team would have been prime for CW skater autographs, LOL!

Nice to see you again at NYI!

Debbie- Sorry you're sick! Hope you feel better soon!

And everyone else! I myself am STILL coughing but I still feel fine. I'm done with my antibiotics, now somebody needs to tell my lungs that!:frus:

mikawendy
02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Ha ha, yes, I remember that! She must not have seen you skate, because your team would have been prime for CW skater autographs, LOL!

Nice to see you again at NYI!

Debbie- Sorry you're sick! Hope you feel better soon!

And everyone else! I myself am STILL coughing but I still feel fine. I'm done with my antibiotics, now somebody needs to tell my lungs that!:frus:

Sorry, NaomiBeth1, I did see your team skate and then for parts of HC I kept forgetting to bring my notebook with me (kept leaving it in the locker room with my stuff half the time), so I think I missed half of the skaters there whom I could have asked! I also spaced out at NYI, and didn't get any there. IIf you'll be at the next HC, I'll snag you (and your teammates) there! ;)

Edited to add--all of you who are under the weather (or just getting out from under it), I hope you feel better soon! The crud went around my office in January, so I was sidelined with it for most of January and just started (sorta) feeling better the week of the competition. Sending (((hugs))) and clear sinuses and unsore throates etc. your way!!! :D

NaomiBeth1
02-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Sorry, NaomiBeth1, I did see your team skate and then for parts of HC I kept forgetting to bring my notebook with me (kept leaving it in the locker room with my stuff half the time), so I think I missed half of the skaters there whom I could have asked! I also spaced out at NYI, and didn't get any there. IIf you'll be at the next HC, I'll snag you (and your teammates) there! ;)

Edited to add--all of you who are under the weather (or just getting out from under it), I hope you feel better soon! The crud went around my office in January, so I was sidelined with it for most of January and just started (sorta) feeling better the week of the competition. Sending (((hugs))) and clear sinuses and unsore throates etc. your way!!! :D

Not a problem! None of my teammates made it to NYI anyway :( Don't know if I'll do HC next year, but if not, maybe I'll watch.

sexyskates
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Aack! Now I have a sore throat and a cough! It's not keeping me off the ice though. I am looking forward to NC!
See ya there!