View Full Version : Summer Camps anywhere?

scrappinmom
12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi everyone - this is my first post here....I'm the mom of a 11 yr old skater. She's at the prelim level. We're trying to look for a sleepaway summer camp for her and some of her friends that are at the same level. Is there such a thing?

tia
Chris

Lenny2
12-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Lake Placid, NY, offers dorms and a structured program. We have been to Lake Placid, but not to the camp, so I can't offer advice on the program. Sounds good, though. The town is beautiful and would be a nice place to spend the summer.

flying~camel
12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Indiana/Word Skating Academy has this summer program: http://iwsa.org/figprog.html

Blosmbubbs
12-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Are you close to California? I would recommend Ice castle in Lake arrowhead. I had the best summers of my life there. Good training and lots of fun. 8-)

PAskate
12-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Penn State offers a variety of sports camps throughout the summer and one of the sports that is offered is figure skating. I've known people who have attended camps there and their feedback has always been super positive.

http://www.outreach.psu.edu/programs/psusportcamps/FigureSkating/

Isk8NYC
12-27-2005, 07:12 PM
I believe Duke University in North Carolina had a camp last summer.

Princeton University in New Jersey also offered a figure skating camp.

Did Penn State hire their new skating director?

scrappinmom
12-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone...I'm going to look into all of those! I'll post what I find out.

luckeylasvegas
12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
I know some girls from our rink go to a syncro camp at Miami of Ohio if you are interested in that.

iskatealot
01-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi,
Ive been looking around for summer camps too and I have been wondering, are there any summer camps in Canada???

xofivebyfive
02-17-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm also looking for a good camp. I would prefer it to be a sleepaway camp for a week, or more I suppose. But I would want to make sure I would have interaction with other girls my age and not be isolated all by myself, you know?

stardust skies
02-18-2006, 01:32 AM
How old are you, what is your level, and is there a certain area you would like to go to?

xofivebyfive
02-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Ha I'm a beginner you would say.. I'm at the Beta level right now and I'm fifteen. Just started a couple of months ago.8-)

Purrsonality
02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi,
Ive been looking around for summer camps too and I have been wondering, are there any summer camps in Canada???

I would highly recommend both the weeklong seminar in June or the ongoing summer camp after the seminar at the Mariposa School of Skating in Barrie (north of Toronto). www.skatemariposa.com

Although they don't have dorms, they are very good in helping you find room and board from families who live nearby and are familiar with the skating program. The program itself is very motivating, and there are so many good coaches to choose from. And this is where Jeff Buttle trains! If you need any more info, PM me.

stardust skies
02-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Ha I'm a beginner you would say.. I'm at the Beta level right now and I'm fifteen. Just started a couple of months ago.8-)

Oooh exciting! Well, I'm not speaking for all camps here, but all camps I or my friends have ever been to when we were younger were for people who have been skating for a while; I don't think I've ever seen any camps geared for anyone who don't have or aren't working on their axels. I think a better investement for you right now might be to stick around at home for a year and get some private coaching to advance faster so that you are ready for next year. Camps cost thousands of dollars and it would really be wasted if you are just now learning to skate as most people who get sent to them are working on other things and your needs might be neglected. Plus you will find that a lot of the times, the girls your age who are working on harder things will not necessarily be forthcoming about including someone who isn't- it's a snobby world out there, and it might not be as much fun as you would hope for if people do make it hard for you to feel included. My point: take a year or two to catch up and then enjoy it 100 times more. :)

Isk8NYC
02-18-2006, 06:45 PM

You'd probably be better off attending a local skating camp. Many smaller rinks offer better programs for lower-level skaters than the big sleepaway camps.

xofivebyfive
02-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Oooh exciting! Well, I'm not speaking for all camps here, but all camps I or my friends have ever been to when we were younger were for people who have been skating for a while; I don't think I've ever seen any camps geared for anyone who don't have or aren't working on their axels. I think a better investement for you right now might be to stick around at home for a year and get some private coaching to advance faster so that you are ready for next year. Camps cost thousands of dollars and it would really be wasted if you are just now learning to skate as most people who get sent to them are working on other things and your needs might be neglected. Plus you will find that a lot of the times, the girls your age who are working on harder things will not necessarily be forthcoming about including someone who isn't- it's a snobby world out there, and it might not be as much fun as you would hope for if people do make it hard for you to feel included. My point: take a year or two to catch up and then enjoy it 100 times more. :)
Thanks for the input. I completely agree with you.

fmh
02-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi,
what parts of canada...there are lots!

Isk8NYC
03-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Hello!!! I'm 15 and I'm looking for an ice skating camp (no matter where)... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Okay, it's March - anything new in the summer camp realm?