View Full Version : Choice of music

passion
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I have found that every single music I have chosen, there has been at least one negative comment from someone. In other words, it gets "tainted" and so I give up on the music. I realize that I cannot please 100% of people because everyone has a different taste and also a different skating style. I have told myself to choose music that I love because I am the one that feels the music. What do people think on this issue of music choice?

batikat
12-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Definitely choose music you like and dont worry what other people think. I picked music from Pirates of the Caribbean which is a film I loved and the music is great. Loads of people told me not to, as it is overused but I had slightly different cuts to most people and it was my most successful program ever, as I enjoyed skating to it so much. I won my Adult Opens class with it and also medalled at the British Adult champs with it.

Debbie S
12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll second batikat. Just think about all the discussion over elite skaters' music on the fan forums, and these skaters have highly-paid professionals choosing their music! There will always be varying opinions on everything you do, music included. I say follow your heart and do what your gut instincts tell you to do. If you enjoy skating to a piece of music and can skate a quality program to it, go for it.

Now, if your coach and/or choreographer have concerns about the skate-ability of it, then I would suggest sitting down with him/her/them and discussing different music options. But if your naysayers are other skaters or other random people at the rink, just smile and thank them for their input, and do what's best for you. :)

batikat, I saw an adult (Silver-level) skater skate to "Pirates of the Caribbean" recently at a comp, and I thought her program was great. She ended with her arms out in kind of a sword-fighting position.

Skate@Delaware
12-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I think if you skate to something you really like or love, you actually put more into it and skate better. I don't care what people have to say about my music! If I wanted to skate to the Spongebob Squarepants theme, I would (I actually suggested that to someone as a joke)!

I've seen some of the girls at my rink skate to music they didn't like, and they didn't skate well. It was music that they didn't like but their coach/parent made them skate to it. That's sad. We are lucky that we can choose for ourselves (another good thing about being an adult skater).