View Full Version : rotating faster

*JennaD*
12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
hey everyone

my coach tells me that I need to rotate faster on my axel, but I really don't see how I'm supposed to do that! lol does anyone have any tips? I get pretty good height and distance on it, but I don't rotate fast enough in the air, so I can't get the full rotation!

thanks!

*Jenna :)

Summerkid710
12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Here's a technical response:
The speed at which you change your weight from the entry into the loop position would determine how fast you turn in the air.

Some thoughts on turning faster in the air...
Are you kicking through all the way?
Are you properly using your arms to assist in the rotation?
Are you lifting your free hip when you jump?
Are you jumping "out" instead of "up"?

Just some ideas.

techskater
12-20-2005, 07:27 PM
From your comment about "Height and distance" sounds like you are going too far out which is causing you to not be able to step over to your final position quick enough. Try going UP first.

doubletoe
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
hey everyone

my coach tells me that I need to rotate faster on my axel, but I really don't see how I'm supposed to do that! lol does anyone have any tips? I get pretty good height and distance on it, but I don't rotate fast enough in the air, so I can't get the full rotation!

thanks!

*Jenna :)

Just try initiating the rotation SOONER. I have always had the same habit and I fixed the problem by jumping straight up off the toe, then AS SOON AS I LEAVE THE ICE, telling myself, "Backspin!" I used to wait until I was at the height of the jump before turning my hip in, and not doing it early enough.

Blosmbubbs
12-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Really point that freefoot down during the rotation. So the feet are crossed at the ankles.

stardust skies
12-20-2005, 10:28 PM
From your comment about "Height and distance" sounds like you are going too far out which is causing you to not be able to step over to your final position quick enough. Try going UP first.

Agreed. Also, make sure your weight is shifted completely before you reach the peak of the jump, or you won't be able to get a good momentum going. But the main point, as techskater said, is that it should be UP, not OUT.