View Full Version : Artistry in skating...Help!

TwirlGirl10
12-19-2005, 06:30 PM
I have a bit of a problem when it comes to artistry. My coach says that technically, I am a very strong skater and that I am very strong but when it comes to artisty...its a whole other story. She says I just don't "flow". This is very upsetting to me, because I just got a program beginning of August and im so used everything coming to me so easily jump and spin wise. ( I have only been skating for 1 1/2 years and im working on double flip and flying camel) Well, my coach tells me it will come with time and experiance but its still upsetting :frus: I was wondering if this has happend to any of you? Thanks!

flo
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
How long have you been skating?
Your style will emerge with practice. Start by picking out music that you really like. When you see yourself skating to it, see every part down to your fingertips, and when you skate, try to relax and skate with the music. Don't be afraid that you'll look silly expressing yourself - who cares? It will make you more in tune with your skating and find your style.

TwirlGirl10
12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
... when you see yourself skating to it, see every part down to your fingertips, and when you skate, try to relax and skate with the music. Don't be afraid that you'll look silly expressing yourself - who cares? It will make you more in tune with your skating and find your style.
I think that is some of my problem, I am afriad to express myself infront of other people :oops: I really shouldn't be, especially in front of my coach, I mean I have had her for over a year.

Isk8NYC
12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
I found that what I thought was overblown gestures and such really weren't noticeable to an audience or the judges. You have to feel that you're exaggerating the expressions and gestures in order to have people see them at a distance. If you have someone make a quick video, that may help you get them going.

Music's really important. I had a coach who was a Julliard ballerina and our styles really didn't match. She picked classical music that was slow and flowing, but I'm a speed and strength type of skater with very little dance background. My last coach had a similar style and loved all of the music I suggested. We put together a program for Lake Placid one year that was set to the Mets theme song for the World Series. It was a spotlight routine, so I had a bat and glove as props -- we both loved it and so did the audience.

When YOU enjoy the music or choreography, it shows in your skating.

SkatingOnClouds
12-20-2005, 01:30 AM
I have seen so many skaters, teenagers particularly, who feel embarrassed about being expressive in their skating. They are almost apologetic for graceful moves which convey emotion, especially if any of their friends are present.

You know yourself though, it adds so much to a performance.

Have you ever watched much ballet? I believe that ballet is very inspirational, heck it even makes me want to try to be graceful & expressive.

Karen

sceptique
12-20-2005, 04:21 AM
I found the book called "choreography and Style for Ice Skaters" (by Ricky Harris) very helpful. I think you can get it second-hand from Amazon pretty cheap. It has many things there that I learned years ago from one Brazilian guy - how to let your body go, how to make energy flowing from one part of body to another, how to improvise. It has exercises that you can do during on-ice warm-up that will help you to "feel it". Absolutely great stuff.

passion
12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I think music is key. Choose music that you love and that makes you want to skate. It doesn't matter what other people think of your music because you're the one that has to skate to it, not them.