View Full Version : icy cold wet toes while wearing my skates

grneyedskater
12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I bought a pair of gently used Riedell silver star boots at the local skate shop. I can only skate in them for a half hour because my toes begin to freeze after that. Water is somehow soaking through the front of the skates. My toes are numb and wet.
I've put on 3 coats of snowseal, yet skating today, I notice that there is no difference at all, my toes are still freezing and wet after a half hour. I can't figure out why this is happening. The other skates that I've skated in always kept my toes warm. Does anyone have advice?

Isk8NYC
12-19-2005, 09:23 PM
I could see that much wetness with a pond or a really wet ice rink, but not an ordinary refrigerated rink.

You may want to loosen the blades and see what's under there. Maybe there are extra holes that need plugging. (DBNY usually recommends leather glue and laces.)

Are the uppers attached firmly to the soles? Perhaps they're pulling loose.

After you skate on them, look at the soles and see if there's damp/dark spots on them. The SnoSeal should protect them, but see if you can find where the moisture's getting into the boot.

Summerkid710
12-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Are the skates wide enough? It could be cutting off your circulation making them feel cold. If you are really working at skating, your feet could also be sweating giving you cold and wet feet.

dbny
12-21-2005, 06:14 PM
If you are really working at skating, your feet could also be sweating giving you cold and wet feet.

Exactly what I was thinking. What kind of socks or tights are you wearing? If you are wearing warm socks, switch to light weight tights.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
And? What's the verdict, grneyedskater?

Mercedeslove
01-13-2006, 12:55 AM
It could very well be the whole 'feet sweating and getting cold and wet' thing. My skates (jacksons) make my feet sweat a lot.

MichTheSkater
01-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Where do you leave your skates?

because if it gets wet just a little bit it will stay wet unless properly dryed out.,, you can dry them out by taking them out of your skating bag when you get home and just leaving them out