View Full Version : Adult Bronze Men Program Content?

BostonBoyChris
12-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Hello All,

I'm just wondering if anyone knew what the guys in Adult Bronze Men had for elements in their programs at Adult Nationals last season?

Thanks!

MusicSkateFan
12-19-2005, 10:39 AM
I was not there but I heard about some good spirals and spins. I dont think anyone attempted a lutz jump (I could be wrong). I can share what I am aiming for:

upright back spin
waltz,toe(might change to running threes, toe,loop)
flip,loop,toe(may be just flip,loop depending if I am with the music)
camel spin
sal
steps to FO spiral
lutz
sit to upright.

My coach has included a great deal of footwork in this program to include Mohawks, power threes, forward and back crossovers.

BostonBoyChris
12-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks, I've never actually seen an Adult competition (thus far anyway), so I wanted to get an idea.

phoenix
12-19-2005, 11:31 AM
I can't imagine they're not doing lutzes--the ladies certainly are! & often in combination.

FrankR
12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
I can't imagine they're not doing lutzes--the ladies certainly are! & often in combination.

Last year the Bronze 1's and 2's were combined together at ANs. The skater who placed first did do a lutz in combination but I think the other gentlemen in the event did not. At least that's what I was told by someone who saw the event. My event was taking place practically simultaneously on the other ice surface so I didn't see it for myself.

SK8RX
12-19-2005, 12:10 PM
According to the website of the winner of last year's Adult National Bronze Men's I/II competition, his program included the following elements:

Lutz/Loop/Loop, flip/loop, camel/attitude spin, straightline footwork sequence into a salchow/toe loop, attempted second lutz (half lutz), scratch spin.

Mrs Redboots
12-19-2005, 12:26 PM

Men very often go up to Silver far earlier than the women do, usually because they want a 2-minute programme. There's a Canadian man who has been skating Silver for 2-3 years now and has only just this year landed a flip in competition.

The Bronze men at Oberstdorf had nothing more difficult than a loop jump, and the winner didn't even have that, just a salchow, a toe loop & a salchow/toe loop combination.....

My husband will be competing Bronze at the Mountain Cup this year, and if I have any say in the matter, he won't have a loop jump either, since it stresses his knee too badly and isn't worth it for just 0.1 mark.

phoenix
12-19-2005, 12:45 PM
8O Wow! That's interesting. I assumed the men would be doing more difficult stuff than the women, not less.....

MusicSkateFan
12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Most men dont hang out at Bronze because usually all the men are silver or above. Most competitions dont even have bronze men. I dont think the Peach Classic had a Bronze Men FS...Halloween had only 4 in the Bronze Men FS.

I can do harder combos...they just dont really work with the music I am using.

I would love to do my lutz,half loop,flip. I might work on it for my 3 jump combo in the Bronze Compulsory Moves for the New Years Invitational.(IF I EVEN ENTER! MY COACH SAYS I MUST!)

After Adult Nats...I think I will be forced to move up to Silver
I have not made any decisions to continue on though! 8-)

FrankR
12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Most men dont hang out at Bronze because usually all the men are silver or above. Most competitions dont even have bronze men. I dont think the Peach Classic had a Bronze Men FS...Halloween had only 4 in the Bronze Men FS.

I think this is true but mostly for the current Class 1/2 (25 to 35 years of age) skaters. At 2004 ANs there were only two men entered in the Bronze 1 Men's event. However, the number of starts increased dramatically as the age class increased. One of my club-mates skated in the Bronze 3 Men's event at ANs that year. I think they had 11 or 12 skaters in that event. 8O

Joan
12-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Also, now that class I includes 21-24 year olds, which were excluded previously, we might see more men, as well as women, competitors at AN at ALL levels.

doubletoe
12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately, there are fewer men than women in adult skating, so it could be argued that there isn't as much competitive pressure on the men, not to mention they have fewer chances to compete due to the lack of male competitors. So I certainly can't blame those men who go ahead and take their Silver FS tests before they've got a lutz or lutz combination. I think we all need a challenge in order to stay motivated. On the other hand, I know testing Silver MIF is often more difficult for the men because the spirals require a level of flexibility that many adult men do not have.

doubletoe
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=MusicSkateFan]

I would love to do my lutz,half loop,flip. I might work on it for my 3 jump combo in the Bronze Compulsory Moves for the New Years Invitational.[QUOTE]

Are you allowed to do either a 3-jump combination or a sequence? Anything with a half loop in it is automatically a sequence and would not count as a combination. Would you be able to do a lutz-loop-toeloop or lutz-loop-loop?

InsideAxel
12-19-2005, 03:58 PM
I would love to do my lutz,half loop,flip. I might work on it for my 3 jump combo in the Bronze Compulsory Moves for the New Years Invitational.

Are you allowed to do either a 3-jump combination or a sequence? Anything with a half loop in it is automatically a sequence and would not count as a combination. Would you be able to do a lutz-loop-toeloop or lutz-loop-loop?

Adult Bronze Well-Balanced Freeskate: (Same for Silver & Gold as well)

At least 1 combo or sequence, but no more than 3 total (number of jumps included in combo or sequence is free).

C'ya!

Kelton

jazzpants
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
On the other hand, I know testing Silver MIF is often more difficult for the men because the spirals require a level of flexibility that many adult men do not have.Funny to read considering I know a LOT of men who are a LOT more flexible than I am!!! :twisted: (I have *REALLY* crappy flexibility!!!)

Debbie S
12-19-2005, 06:26 PM
The requirements for Bronze CM in this comp call for a 3-jump sequence consisting of different half or whole rev jumps (among other elements), so the combo MSF is planning is legal. The announcement gives a couple of suggested combos, including a half flip-toe loop-mazurka, which is what I was going to do - either that or a waltz-half loop-sal. But I've decided to pass on CM for this comp to make sure I'll have enough practice time in the next month or so to prepare for my Bronze MIF test, and get my new program ready. Given MSF's proposed combo (and given that other entrants will probably do similar combos), I think I made the right decision. :oops: :)

I'll have my hands full at NYI with Pre-Bronze FS and Bronze MIF with the Silver MIF 8-step. I keep telling myself that the MIF event is just for the experience....

TimDavidSkate
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
According to the website of the winner of last year's Adult National Bronze Men's I/II competition, his program included the following elements:

Lutz/Loop/Loop, flip/loop, camel/attitude spin, straightline footwork sequence into a salchow/toe loop, attempted second lutz (half lutz), scratch spin.

Those were my elements from last year's Bronze FS Nationals performance.
I just failed my Silver MIF today, it looks like I would do Bronze Men FS again at Dallas, TX if I do not find another test before January 17. :?? :frus:

NoVa Sk8r
12-19-2005, 08:18 PM
I just failed my Silver MIF today, it looks like I would do Bronze Men FS again at Dallas, TX if I do not find another test before January 17. :?? :frus:What? ... I thought you had already passed your silver moves? Anyway, you're a strong skater, you'll get 'em next time.

Still doing New Year's? Seems like there will be a slew of silver men--again!

jazzpants
12-19-2005, 08:37 PM
I just failed my Silver MIF today, it looks like I would do Bronze Men FS again at Dallas, TX if I do not find another test before January 17. :?? :frus:Not only that, you would have to find a test that is ON Jan 17th. The rule says that you cannot retest for another 28 days if I remember right.

Sorry to hear the news. Would you mind posting what happened and what technical notes the judges gave you? (On another thread, of course. ;) I don't want this topic to hijack the original topic of this thread.)

TimDavidSkate
12-19-2005, 08:54 PM
What? ... I thought you had already passed your silver moves? Anyway, you're a strong skater, you'll get 'em next time.

Still doing New Year's? Seems like there will be a slew of silver men--again!

Thanks Nova, nahs, I wish I would have passed this damn Silver MIF long time ago. And yeps, Silver Men FS at New Year's is stil on :D

TimDavidSkate
12-19-2005, 08:56 PM
:evil: Not only that, you would have to find a test that is ON Jan 17th. The rule says that you cannot retest for another 28 days if I remember right.

Sorry to hear the news. Would you mind posting what happened and what technical notes the judges gave you? (On another thread, of course. ;) I don't want this topic to hijack the original topic of this thread.)

Thanks Jazzy, Sure I will post at another topic about it. I did find a test date on SCNY right on Jan 17. So I guess I will take that one :frus: I know I will pass that one, bc I am so pissed and mad already :evil:

MusicSkateFan
12-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Question for Tim David: Have You already passed the Silver FS? Or does your prior testing cover the free skate but not the moves?

TimDavidSkate
12-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Question for Tim David: Have You already passed the Silver FS? Or does your prior testing cover the free skate but not the moves?

Nahs, I have to pass my moves in able for me to take the free.
Basically USFSA eats up the freeskate $ if you do not pass your moves.
(Always been that way)

TimDavidSkate
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Hello All,

I'm just wondering if anyone knew what the guys in Adult Bronze Men had for elements in their programs at Adult Nationals last season?

Thanks!

Were you planning on competing in Adult Nationals in Bronze 1 Freeskate Men?

MusicSkateFan
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Only if I was about 10 years younger! I will be 39 at the time of Nats so I will be Class III ! If there are other oldsters I will be with them!

Yikes!

LoopLoop
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey, MSF, I thought you'd decided against AN this year. A change of heart has occurred?

MusicSkateFan
12-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Well I have just downloaded the application for Nats as well as the New Years competition. I have not filled anything out yet! I have not decided for sure!

My coach says I must do New Years.....He wants me to do Nats...I just dont know if I want to travel that far just to skate 1:40!

jazzpants
12-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Well I have just downloaded the application for Nats as well as the New Years competition. I have not filled anything out yet! I have not decided for sure!

My coach says I must do New Years.....He wants me to do Nats...I just dont know if I want to travel that far just to skate 1:40!Well, you could add in another 1:40 by skating an Interpretative program, 'ya know... ;) :P

Seriously, go based on your comfort level (financial and competitive). Both of those were bad this year. (I don't have your wonderful jumping ability, sure as heck don't have NoVa's CoP Level 3 spinning ability or flexibility, my crossovers are atriocious (NoVa... you haven't seen MY forward crossovers yet... and they are supposed to be my best move!!! :twisted: ) and my piggy bank is spent on this trip to NYC and on eventually painting our home early 2006. (The Gods are frowning on me for going to Dallas.)

(And for those of you who are curious, yes, I made it to NY in one piece!!! :D )

Tim: channel that anger towards working on what you need to do to pass the Silver test. It worked for MSF for his Bronze FS. I'm gonna see if it will work for my next Bronze Moves attempt. (God help me on moves with Edward. :roll: Primary coach parting words for my trip was "Don't let him kill 'ya!" :twisted: :lol: ) Meanwhile, I've downloaded my application for Sectionals as a Pre-Bronze FS skater. :cry:

NoVa Sk8r
12-20-2005, 08:35 PM
(I don't have your wonderful jumping ability, sure as heck don't have NoVa's CoP Level 3 spinning ability or flexibility, my crossovers are atriocious (NoVa... you haven't seen MY forward crossovers yet... and they are supposed to be my best move!!! :twisted: ) Level 3, my foot! Will hopefully get there one day ...

mikawendy
12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
I didn't see AN last year, but I did see the Bronze Men at Halloween Classic this year, and one thing I noticed about their programs was overall good speed and ice coverage, and really good "attack" on the jumps (good height, too). Also, some of the skaters in that event (I can't recall which) had fast spins.

TimDavidSkate
12-20-2005, 11:43 PM
My coach says I must do New Years.....He wants me to do Nats...I just dont know if I want to travel that far just to skate 1:40!

I felt the same way going into AN last year. Going all the way to Kansas City to do a 1 min and 40sec program just did not make too much sense. But I loved competition too much to pass it up. :giveup:

Mrs Redboots
12-21-2005, 09:02 AM

But it's not just the 1:40 you're on the ice.... the thing is, for a really great competition (and your Adult Nationals is a really great competition), it's worth going anyway. Heck, we found it worth going to Kansas City last year and we didn't even skate (except in the dance social on the Sunday morning). It's the being there with other skaters, the making new friends, the watching them skate.... It's not quite the same if you're not skating yourself, but it's a great second-best. And if you are skating yourself - well, in spite of the fact that we all sit in the dressing-rooms wondering why on earth we thought it was a good idea, in spite of the fact that you've looked at the competitors' list and know that, on paper, you haven't a hope of coming other than last, it's still the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Thin-Ice
12-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Well said Annabel!!! :bow:

dcden
12-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I'd have to agree with Redboots. Besides just your own event, you can watch so many other events, participate in various workshops, purchase stuff from vendors (where the selection is much wider than at smaller local adult events), etc. Plus it's always fun to catch up with friends and get the good gossip. Trust me on this one!

BostonBoyChris
12-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Were you planning on competing in Adult Nationals in Bronze 1 Freeskate Men?

Yes, I am planning to. First time!

skatingatty
12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Heheh, funny you (dcden) should mention the calendar. I was showing it to my co-workers today, after one person asked what office supplies she needed to order for us. I said I'd like a 2006 calendar, because the Men of Figure Skating calendar has 3 months per page and I can't write any notes on it. It's on my wall until I get a generic calendar. :D

TimDavidSkate
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes, I am planning to. First time!

Wonderful, I look forward meeting you in Dallas, TX. Will you be skating at the New Year's Invitational in Ashburn, VA?

jazzpants
12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Heheh, funny you (dcden) should mention the calendar. I was showing it to my co-workers today, after one person asked what office supplies she needed to order for us. I said I'd like a 2006 calendar, because the Men of Figure Skating calendar has 3 months per page and I can't write any notes on it. It's on my wall until I get a generic calendar. :DYup. Finally got my calendar after a long wait (but well worth the wait!!!) :mrgreen: dcden looks good in the calendar too! LOL!!! :P :lol: :twisted: (Hi, dcden!) :P