View Full Version : help!!! how can you cut music to a cd?

figure_skater
12-15-2005, 07:08 PM
i have to find out how to cut music form a cd so it can be on another cd but like cut to a certain time and stuff... anyone know?

thanx!

<3 <3 <3 manda

AshBugg44
12-15-2005, 07:15 PM
The best thing to do is to get a program on your computer that can cut music.

Skate@Delaware
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
I use Audacity, which is free. You need a plug-in to do mp3's but that's no big deal. I like it because you can change pitch, tempo, add echo, reverb, etc. AND no change is final until you save it. You can google for it. If you use it, do the tutorial!

TashaKat
12-16-2005, 12:45 AM
I use Cool Edit, don't know if it's still around but it's easy to use and you can get rid of the tiniest of scratches, glitches or notes. Save it all to your hard drive then burn it to a CD :)

I used it for my test and competition music and nobody even realised that it was 'home made'.

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2005, 03:47 AM
I tried Cool Edit, but couldn't get on with it - I vote for Audacity, which is great. And when you want to save it as an MP3, they give you a link to where you need to download the program to do that with, too.

Cactus Bill
12-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Cool Edit (and it's big brother Cool Edit Pro) are still around, but the company was sold to Adobe recently. For most of us who are unfamiliar with music editing software Audacity should do just fine. I use Cubase but it's not freeware, and like most of these applications, there's a steep learning curve.

skaternum
12-16-2005, 08:15 AM
I second the comment about a steep learning curve. It's not like learning "just a piece of software." To do a decent job, you have to learn about how digital audio is structured. So don't expect it to be a snap. You'll need to invest some time and effort into it. Most of these packages also assume a fairly high level of computer skill too.

Personally, I use Vegas Video. It's audio track editing function is great.

NickiT
12-16-2005, 09:08 AM
I use Nero Wave Editor. I've cut several pieces of my own and my daughter's music with it. It can be tricky - as others have said it takes time to learn how to do - and of course some pieces are so much easier to cut than others. I've done one piece of music in one cut (about 5 minutes) but other times I've spent several hours getting the cut just right.

Joan
12-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Like several others above, I use Cool Edit. The version I use is 2000, which is how long ago I bought it. But I guess it is not available anymore and to buy the Adobe version, whatever it is called, is quite expensive. Once you've learned how to edit music digitally, you will love it! You can do a lot!

Isk8NYC
12-16-2005, 12:13 PM
I use Audio Surgeon. It cost $30-40 USD.

Audio Surgeon has a learning curve like the other products recommended, but once you've figured out how it works, it's okay. I just wish someone would invent a "vocal delete" function so we could use the same original songs without having to buy instrumentals and karaoke versions.

In the days before computer CD Burners, we would play the CD on our stereo and record it to cassette tape. You have to be quick on the stop/start button, but it does work.

In a feeble attempt to unclutter my home, I bought a cable at Radio Shack that connects the CD/cassette player HEADPHONE jack to the computer's MICROPHONE jack. Then, I played the cassette and "recorded" it on the computer, then burned it to a CD.

Skate@Delaware
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
One guy at our rink does it the lower tech way (and you can tell because it sounds bad!)...he plays his cd's or cassettes over his speakers on his stereo system and records them onto a digital voice recorder, then pauses the recorder when he needs to. He then plays that into his computer's microphone (you can hear all sorts of background noise from his house 8O ). He won't let anyone else cut his musice because "no one else does it with his special touch" well, duh!

Once, I heard his cat meowing! :lol:

daisies
12-16-2005, 01:25 PM
One guy at our rink does it the lower tech way (and you can tell because it sounds bad!)...he plays his cd's or cassettes over his speakers on his stereo system and records them onto a digital voice recorder, then pauses the recorder when he needs to. He then plays that into his computer's microphone (you can hear all sorts of background noise from his house 8O ). He won't let anyone else cut his musice because "no one else does it with his special touch" well, duh!

OMG, that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!!!

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2005, 01:25 PM

Yes, if you're going to do it that way - and it is the easiest way - you do need to be able to link your cassette player, CD player and computer. I can record from CD to cassette, but I have no way, at the moment, of recording from cassette to computer (the only workable cassette player is in the bedroom, and I only have a desktop in the front room), so I then have to pay my coach to do that bit! So using Audacity is easier..... but takes longer!

kiwibabe
12-16-2005, 05:01 PM
I also use audacity, its very good and free

Joan
12-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the laugh!

Isk8NYC
12-16-2005, 06:13 PM
That's so funny: everyone should bark when they hear the cat on his tape! Can you imagine a skating show with such audience participation?

My stereo system is well-cabled, so I only get the usually hiss that comes from recording on tape. Certainly spares people the sound of "Sponge Bob" on the TV in the background. (And the twins arguing; a constant buzz in my house.)

I can record from CD to cassette, but I have no way, at the moment, of recording from cassette to computer (the only workable cassette player is in the bedroom, and I only have a desktop in the front room), so I then have to pay my coach to do that bit! So using Audacity is easier..... but takes longer!

To play/record from a player to the computer, you don't actually use the computer microphone, just the computer's microphone jack/port with a special cable. It was pretty cheap at Radio Shack, but a computer or electronics store would have it for sale, too.

Many rinks use the same cable to play music during freestyles: you connect the boom box jack to the rink sound system's microphone jack. That way, the equipment is removable and doesn't get damaged or stolen. It gives the skaters music access without leaving the ice.

Moto Guzzi
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
I can record from CD to cassette, but I have no way, at the moment, of recording from cassette to computer (the only workable cassette player is in the bedroom, and I only have a desktop in the front room), so I then have to pay my coach to do that bit! So using Audacity is easier..... but takes longer!
Annabelle, check this out: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/. I saw it mentioned in Sunday's paper. I read an article on some website about how to hook your cassette player or old turntable up to your computer, but it seemed more complicated than I was willing to do.

I use Audacity and have recently purchased Cakewalk Music Creator 2 but have to learn how to use it.

mikawendy
12-16-2005, 08:41 PM

:lol: Tee hee!!

That reminds me of a Led Zeppelin album where I think you can hear a phone ringing in the background on one track... seeming not on purpose.

JulieN
12-17-2005, 12:27 AM
I use Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com). You can download a free trial version and if you decide to keep it, it's only CAD$55 (approx US$48).

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Annabelle, check this out: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/. I saw it mentioned in Sunday's paper. I read an article on some website about how to hook your cassette player or old turntable up to your computer, but it seemed more complicated than I was willing to do. .Thanks. It's not that I can't wire up a cassette player, just that I don't _have_ one! The one in the bedroom belongs to one (not portable) stereo system, and the one in the front room doesn't work! I really want to get another system for the bedroom and move the bedroom one to the front room, but that's not happening.....

sk8pics
12-17-2005, 08:20 AM
I use Sound Studio, which came free with my Mac. 8-) It's a great program and very easy to use, compared with my experiences with a PC-music editing program (I think it was Acid Music or something like that?)

singerskates
12-19-2005, 04:35 PM
i have to find out how to cut music form a cd so it can be on another cd but like cut to a certain time and stuff... anyone know?

thanx!

<3 <3 <3 manda

contact...

http://clubtecumseh.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eastcastlebuscardbrigitte2.jpg

rlichtefeld
12-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree GoldWave is what I use. The trial version does everything that the full version does, so you can try it before you buy it.

I use Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com). You can download a free trial version and if you decide to keep it, it's only CAD$55 (approx US$48).

Rob

JumpinBug
12-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Many rinks use the same cable to play music during freestyles: you connect the boom box jack to the rink sound system's microphone jack. That way, the equipment is removable and doesn't get damaged or stolen. It gives the skaters music access without leaving the ice.

We really, really need that. Our only access is by leaving the ice, putting on skate guards, going down a hall, up some stairs, and down another hall. No go. And for times when there aren't volunteers to play the music... argh.

The rink is supposed to be upgrading the sound system for a few years, hopefully the club will push for such a setup.