View Full Version : What's a reverse wallley?

mikawendy
12-12-2005, 11:28 PM
In some of the Grand Prix events, I've heard some of the commentators point out a "reverse walley" in some of the skaters programs. (Paul Wylie recently pointed one out in someone's NHK Trophy long program, and I heard it pointed out at an earlier GP event.)

So my question is this--what the heck is a "reverse" walley? I'm still waiting on getting my rule book, so I can't look this up there yet. I wasn't taping the skating so I couldn't run it back and play it in slo-mo, but it looked like a regular walley to me--takeoff from BI edge, counterrotation.... So maybe the word "reverse" was used to (strangely) refer to the counterrotation? Or were the skaters doing a counterrotated edge jump from an outside edge? (which would technically be a toeless lutz and probably much harder to do...)

I'm asking in this forum area (instead of general skating) because I eventually would like to learn how to do a walley and some of the more interesting "unlisted" jumps...

NickB
12-13-2005, 12:09 AM
It just means a regular walley in the skater's non-dominant direction. Evan Lysacek has done them in his programs (he may have been the skater you were talking about).

coskater64
12-13-2005, 04:23 PM
A walley in the NJS does not count as a jump, it is a transition, first of all. A wally is done on a deep RI edge and spins CCW one revolution, the timing is tricky and they take practice. A reverse walley is off a deep LI edge and turns CW. Of course that's if you are a righty, if you skate lefty then it's just the opposite.