View Full Version : A/BB width

luckeylasvegas
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
What is a BB width for a skate? I know that A is for narrow. Is BB more narrow or more wide ?

Raye
12-12-2005, 06:57 PM
BB is more wide than A. (this from a DD)

luckeylasvegas
12-13-2005, 01:44 AM
So what's the difference between a B and a BB.
My daughters coach fitted her into a 4.5 B Super Teri that he has, but I found the same skate new for less money in a BB so I'm wondering if it would be a big difference. I wanted to get so other oppions because I know what his answer will be. To me her food is by no means wide but it's not super narrow either .

dbny
12-13-2005, 07:18 AM
BB is wider than B. If she needs a B, then there is the possibility that her foot will slip around in the BB width.

luckeylasvegas
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
So would a B then be considered an average width ?

dbny
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
So would a B then be considered an average width ?

Yes. A is narrow, B is average, C is wide, and anything else, such as AAA, BB, CC, D on up to EEEE is an indication of variation from the supposed average. Of course, what average really means is anyone's guess. Riedell's A width is not the same as Jackson's and on and on with each brand differing.

Summerkid710
12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
If the skates you have are SP-Teri and they are marked A/BB, it means it is an A heel with a B Ball.

luckeylasvegas
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
If the skates you have are SP-Teri and they are marked A/BB, it means it is an A heel with a B Ball.

Thank You that makes more sense to me. I could'nt figure out what A/BB was.

dbny
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow. I obviously didn't even understand the question correctly. Glad someone did!

mikawendy
12-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Is this something seen only in Sp-Teri customs (and other custom boots)? Or do Sp-Teri or others offer stock boots with different widths in ball/heel?

(Slightly off topic, I've heard that the Rykka brand of running shoe has a narrower heel and a wider ball in relation to the heel, to be a better fit for the shape of many women's feet.)

luckeylasvegas
12-14-2005, 01:34 AM
I know with shoes the difference between a 1/2 size and a width is minimal , is it the same with skates? Having never had a pair of figure skates on in my life I 'm not sure I can relate, and my daughter would say they were fine just because they're new. I would love to save the money but I don't want them to be a bad fit for her.

icedancer2
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Is this something seen only in Sp-Teri customs (and other custom boots)? Or do Sp-Teri or others offer stock boots with different widths in ball/heel?

Yes, Teri has a special feature of their stock boots that you can order them in mixed ball/heel and also mixed lengths. So effectively, I wear a size 8 1/2 on my right foot and a 9 on my left. And in width something like a B ball and A heel.

You pay extra for it, but only like $30 -- not nearly as expensive as actual customs, but they fit your feet.

Isk8NYC
12-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Now here's the $64 question: how do those people without a fitter to measure their feet know they need the mixed width skate? Hmmmm. There must be a way to tell.

Elsy2
12-14-2005, 04:39 PM
A bad fit is definitely not worth it. I think there is a significant difference in even 1/2" sizing, and width. My feet measure for a 8 A width (as measured by George himself). However, I could not tolerate this length and needed to go up to 8 1/2. Due to the longer length, in order to fit properly we ordered AA width. I also ordered a split with a heel width of AAA, as my previous skates were loose in the heel.

Sizing is just so darn tricky........and different from shoes. I wear an average width shoe. No way could I wear a narrow in a street shoe.