View Full Version : Graf Boots?

TwirlGirl10
12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Im getting new skates soon and one boot I might get fit to would be Graf. My others choices are Jackson and Gam. I have heard some bad things about Graf and was wondering if anyone had experiance with them, and if they liked them or not. Any input on Jackson or Gam would be greatly appreciatied also! Thanks.

Isk8NYC
12-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Tell us your skating level, what jumps you're working on, and whether you're under/overweight or just right-weight! :)

TwirlGirl10
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I am competing in preliminary, working on double flip and double loop. Also flying camel and layback. I am about 5.5 and a half and weight about 118. I am currently in Riedell Silver stars and don't like them too much.

TaBalie
12-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Here is a good thread to check out... It gives you an idea of what people are wearing, their level, etc.

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514&highlight=tabalie

I have Graf Edmonton Specials and am very very happy with them. Very easy to break in. The only negative would be that since they are easy to break in, they don't last as long, especially if you are seriously training.

Casey
12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I've skated in Graf Edmonton Specials for about 10-11 months now and they have been problematic since about 6 months ago (heels separating from the boots).

On the bright side, they admitted a manufacturing defect and will be replacing them for free one of these days.

On the down side, I've heard of a lot of problems with these boots including many others having the same issue, so I'm not entirely confident that the same thing won't happen again 6 months down the road. Before the recent admittance of the defect, when I first reported the problem, my only option was to send them off for repair, which would have left me without skates for 2 months, or to pay somebody locally to attempt to fix them!

They're generally regarded as having low longetivity. I'm distrusting of them currently. That may change depending on how the replacements hold up, but if I could afford new skates right now I'd opt for something else (my personal choice would be Klingbeil). I've never cared for Jackson, but then, I've never skated in them, either.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

TwirlGirl10
12-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Well maybe I should stick with Riedells, I think the problem might me that the boot fitter sized me a half size to big.

dbny
12-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Well maybe I should stick with Riedells, I think the problem might me that the boot fitter sized me a half size to big.

That would be a problem in any brand! What is it you don't like about the Silver Stars?

Does your heel rub against the back of the boot? Riedells have a relatively deep heel pocket, so if the heel bone does not go very far back behind your achilles tendon, then it rubs at the back of the boot. My daughter had that problem in Riedells (Silver Star, Gold Star and Royal).

luna_skater
12-13-2005, 01:23 AM

I was in Silver Stars for 8 years, and just switched to Gams this year. I LOVE them. I'm only working on single jumps and basic spins, but they get a good beating from skating synchro twice a week as well. I skate about 4 days a week, and am about 5'8" and 135-140 lbs. The Gam model I have is the 400.

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2005, 08:05 AM
I have the Gam 700, my second pair (the first pair were actually the same model, but they've renumbered them! They lasted about 8 years and I loved them to bits). I do love them, they really suit me.

But it does so depend on your feet and what is good value for money in your area. If you can try on several brands, or go to a fitter who knows what feet suit what skates, you'll be far better served than by asking on here, when we can't see your feet!

Summerkid710
12-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Graf takes about 8-12 weeks to ship a boot if your pro shop doesn't have your size in stock. If you really want to switch, keep the timeframe in mind.

sitspin89
12-13-2005, 05:15 PM
I have the New Graf Hinged boot (F-4000) i am at the same level as you and am aroudn teh same size, 5'5 120 pounds. I love these skates i have been wearing them for 4 months and have had no problems with them