View Full Version : What was your first solo program like?

crayonskater
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
In my quest to figure out why I'm doing this sport, I realized that I love listening to music and thinking of being decent enough to skate to a piece that I like might be enough motivation to keep going. I may ask my coach to put together a program for me, to kind of 'structure' my practicing. (And then I could be all pretty in the ice show in February.)

But, like...

I don't know how to do anything. But maybe that's not a problem.

So what was your first little program like? What could you do?

sunshinepointe
12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Mine was a trainwreck. I had bad coaching at the time and I was totally underprepared. I almost fell on a stupid half flip, left out half of my program - I was so nervous out on the ice, behind in my music, just skating to get through the moves rather than to enjoy the experience.

This is what keeps me from competing again truthfully. My advice is that if you get a program together to practice it to death and get really, really comfortable with it.

phoenix
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Everyone is different when it comes to how comfortable they are performing. Some thrive on it; some freak out! You never know until you try--and an ice show would be the perfect opportunity. For myself, I would far rather skate in front of stands full of people at a competition than for 3 judges at a test session! An audience jazzes me up.

My first little freestyle program had a waltz jump, loop jump, salchow, toe loop, and a very shaky one foot spin. And of course some footwork, a spiral, etc. (mind you, I've only competed freestyle twice & never above bronze level)

Ask your coach about it, or ask one of your skater friends to help you put something together. The process of choreographing is very fun just in its own right! I'd start w/ a piece of music that's SHORT--a minute to 1.5 minutes. It will give you a taste without being overwhelming for a start. *hint there are a few lovely short pieces on the "Shall We Dance" soundtrack. :)

crayonskater
12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
I used to dance, so I like performing. But I only have a waltz jump and half a toe loop (the first half, har har), and a one foot spin, and some pretty kickass crossovers. (My coach likes edges and moves.)

mikawendy
12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Go for it!! You can have a great program just with edges and moves! And later when you have more jumps, you can still have many edges and moves in your program--it will look more interesting, and it's harder than just stroking or doing crossovers between each jump.

Skate@Delaware
12-09-2005, 09:31 PM
This is my first program and my coach wants me to practice it 3-4 times each time I'm on the ice! It has a mohawk, crossovers, waltz jump, salchow, 3-turns, scratch spin, spiral, toe-loop (my sucky version of one), a pivot, arabesque spiral, 1/2 flip, 2-foot spin. In that order.

I'll be lucky if I don't bail on my jumps (could happen on the toe-loop), forget something (like the 1/2 flip-I'll improvise if I do). The hardest thing is being able to hear my music (I'm hard of hearing :frus: ).

Another girl at my rink has crossovers, 3-turns, waltz jump, bunny hop, 2-foot spin. That's it and it looks really nice!

It's how you present it and your music and if you love it, too!

Debbie S
12-09-2005, 10:15 PM
My first program had a backspin (which was really a FI double 3-turn), 2 half-flips (in combo), waltz-toe, sal, sit spin (which did not really "sit"), toe loop out of a mazurka (my only footwork in the program), half-lutz, sal-toe, RFI and LBO spirals, and a forward scratch.

Put in the elements you can do well, and skate confidently. The audience will definitely enjoy watching you. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited to add that this program was for a comp (Pre-Bronze FS). For a show, you won't need as many jumps. I did a show solo with a toe loop and salchow as my only jumps, and lots of spirals, edge moves, and other steps, and 3 spins. It was 1:55, but your program doesn't need to be that long.

Joan
12-10-2005, 10:13 AM
One of the good things about ISI is that the different levels have prescribed elements for a freestyle program - and the coach just has to figure out which element goes best where, in the music. It makes that first program go together pretty easily.

flo
12-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I loved it. I finally got to skate without a crowd!

stardust skies
12-10-2005, 02:49 PM
In my quest to figure out why I'm doing this sport, I realized that I love listening to music and thinking of being decent enough to skate to a piece that I like might be enough motivation to keep going. I may ask my coach to put together a program for me, to kind of 'structure' my practicing. (And then I could be all pretty in the ice show in February.)

But, like...

I don't know how to do anything. But maybe that's not a problem.

So what was your first little program like? What could you do?

Hmmm..I was competing, but I was also, like, 7, so I really don't remember. I'm guessing I had my singles and some spins.

Why do you need a program to "keep you going"? I know my programs are actually my least favorite part of practice! Hah. You should find the love for the every day repetition of elements on their own. Sure a program's nice, but you shouldn't need one to keep yourself going.

As far as ice shows for rinks, I know mine requires at least an axel in order to be eligible to audition. You should ask your coach what is required at your rink. If nothing is required, then you're golden. I will say that when I was little, I wanted to be in shows and my coach always said that I should wait until I get better, and now that I'm older and know more about the sport I agree. I mean, put yourself in the shoes of the people coming to see the show- they don't really want to see someone doing a half flip and 2 minutes of crossovers, in my opinion. So if you do a number, make sure it is entertaining for the crowd (this doesn't mean you have to have big jumps, but do something unique). For competiton, it doesn't really matter since you're doing it for yourself. But you have to consider how enjoyable for others you think your skating to be before deciding to be in an ice show, in my opinion.

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone, it's just what I think. I've sat through way too many ice shows full of people who do nothing but arm movements for 3 minutes to feel otherwise.

Skate@Delaware
12-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I am a "show skater" for my rink, and am getting ready for my third ice show. I have given the skating director "carte blanche" with what I do (yes, I will even wear "whatever"). As my skills have moved up (slowly) so have my skating roles.

At first, it was as part of the synchro ensemble. Doing synchro routines. All synchro. No solos or spotlight groups.

This time, I get to be part of a spotlight group of five, performing together----not synchro but timed together! I think the hardest elements we have are the power-3's down the long part of the rink, intersecting back crossovers in a figure-8 pattern (fast) and waltz jumps. We also do a scratch spin (if we can) or a spin of our choice and a group spiral. Being in this group has motivated me, for sure! I have worked everytime I'm on the ice to get my power 3's faster! (I had just learned them the week before getting this routine).

Our ice show cast consists of the Learn-to-Skate skaters as the little groups like mice in Nutcracker (directors choice). Auditions for other parts consist of "open auditions" where music of the show is played, and for 30 minutes, skaters skate to the music and "do stuff" to the music. If we had to wait for people to have an axel, we'd have a cast of 4 :lol: Most of the people who come to see our show are the parents, friends, and family of the skaters (we only have seating for about 300 each night and that sells out).

Now, for our exhibitions, they are usually open to anyone who is a club member and wants to skate! We just give our name to the coordinator and we are good to go!

Debbie S
12-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Why do you need a program to "keep you going"? I know my programs are actually my least favorite part of practice! Hah. You should find the love for the every day repetition of elements on their own. Sure a program's nice, but you shouldn't need one to keep yourself going.Different strokes for different folks. Some people hate programs, others love them. Skating is an individual sport, and if having a program makes someone more motivated and committed to the sport, I say go for it. I can understand what crayonskater means - sometimes, practicing elements in isolation can get dull - a program can give your practices a sense of purpose, as well as provide an opportunity for you to put together the elements you've mastered so far. You can see how far you've come!

For competiton, it doesn't really matter since you're doing it for yourself. But you have to consider how enjoyable for others you think your skating to be before deciding to be in an ice show, in my opinion.Well, I can see your point here, but I would argue that show solos are also about yourself - you have the opportunity to challenge yourself, have a new experience, and most important, have fun with your skating. And a program doesn't need to have triples and flying spins to be enjoyable to the audience. This isn't Stars on Ice, it's a club exhibition for skaters' families and friends. There are plenty of ways to have an impact on an audience and express a piece of music without doing a jump every 10 seconds, and I doubt crayonskater and his/her coach are thinking of doing 2 minutes of only crossovers. That's why we have coaches and choreographers put our programs together.

Justine_R
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
My first program had;
sit-spin
camel
1 foot
waltz jump
salchow
toeloop
loop
and flip.

for prelimnary FS.

crayonskater
12-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Different strokes for different folks. Some people hate programs, others love them. Skating is an individual sport, and if having a program makes someone more motivated and committed to the sport, I say go for it. I can understand what crayonskater means - sometimes, practicing elements in isolation can get dull - a program can give your practices a sense of purpose, as well as provide an opportunity for you to put together the elements you've mastered so far. You can see how far you've come!

That's pretty much it. I used to dance, and I found that I learned, say, a step sequence faster and better if it was set to music so I had to force myself to keep pace with it. I'm thinking that if I have a short program to work on, I'll (say) make sure my crossovers are in a rhythm or not, or force myself to jump.

The rink I skate at is a college rink, and the show in question is pretty much open to anyone in the club. Last year, I joined friends in doing a 1-minute long comedy number. So there's no axel requirement. (I am guessing this is different from most rinks; this is just a fun exhibition.) At the same time, I don't want to bore anybody to death, hence the thread; wondered how many things you needed to be able to do not to bore anyone to death.

TimDavidSkate
12-10-2005, 05:35 PM
My first skating program was during christmas. The music was to "I saw three ships", I was not thrilled with the orchestration and choreography. But since it was my first program I did not have any control over anything. So the guy who arranged my program had me do a lutz right off the bat. I never knew how to pace myself then and with the phrasing of the music. I do not remember what in details what have happened.
But I knew I landed a flip, lutz and a loop. I fell on a flying camel :frus:

jazzpants
12-10-2005, 06:47 PM
My first program from way back in 2001 is still my current FS program. It just has gone thru different versions of the music. The intended purpose was simply to have a test program for Bronze FS test.

The order of the first version of the program goes something like this:

Backspin
Loop
Spiral
Salchow
Sit Spin
Toe Loop
Waltz-Toe Loop
One foot spin/Scratch spin

This year's version: Same music. Same dress. Same jumps and spins, but different order and more footwork and speed. :P :twisted: Plus, for competition, I sub the flip for the toe loop! :D

After I pass my Bronze FS test, I will finally retire Yanni's "Until The Last Moment."

daisies
12-10-2005, 06:52 PM
My first program was to take my ISIA (it was called that back then, not ISI) Freestyle 1. I forgot what the music was, but it had all the FS1 elements, including the dreaded BI edges. I could not do those to save my life, and I failed.

Which I always find really ironic because I went on to pass my USFSA 8th figure test!

Just goes to show, don't give up on an element you think you can't do!

stardust skies
12-10-2005, 08:52 PM
There are plenty of ways to have an impact on an audience and express a piece of music without doing a jump every 10 seconds, and I doubt crayonskater and his/her coach are thinking of doing 2 minutes of only crossovers. That's why we have coaches and choreographers put our programs together.

Totally agreed, and that's what I was trying to say. You'd be surprised how many skaters DO have nothing but 2 minutes of crossovers, though. I think if you can do a good interp. to music then it's entertaining and worth putting in a show, regardless of jumps- some of the best programs have no or very few jumps at all. But if all you can do is skate forward then it might be jumping the gun a little to think people would enjoy seeing nothing but that. And yet, a lot more people than you could ever imagine DO do that for local skating shows.

I think that if you want to though, you should go for it crayonskater. Just find a good piece of music that you like and do your best!

Skate@Delaware
12-10-2005, 10:15 PM
My husband and I are going to do a piece for the exhibition also. He barely has his crossovers, just got a mohawk, etc. I'm ahead of him, skill-wise. However, we will be dancing and I will be doing the more difficult elements and skating around him at times. Perhaps this is something you could consider.

Maybe even get a few of you together and get an "interactive" piece and play to the audience. Maybe act out a scene of a movie and skate it. People like that kind of stuff. It's different enough to be memorable, and being an exhibition, you have freer reign on what you can do (except maybe time limits if you have a large club).

Mrs Redboots
12-11-2005, 09:56 AM
These days with the NJS you need a lot more than just crossovers and jumps! Not that we adults get many competitions where we are judged under the NJS, but Oberstdorf & Mountain Cup both do judge under a modified version of that system. I'm leaving my husband's coach to do his choreography, as she has been trained in the NJS and knows what's wanted.

He has a cherry flip (toe-loop) and salchow, and we hope he will have a loop jump - he used to, but hasn't done one for years, and we don't think it's worth stressing his knee for 0.1 difference (loop jump is 0.5, salchow is 0.4). He also has an upright spin, and we hope will have a parallel & a sit before May.

I have only ever done Artistic/interpretive, as what I'm good at is capering about on the ice, not actual skating.....

tidesong
12-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I can barely remember my first program. It was a little test program for freestyle 1 under ISI. There was a waltz jump, a half flip and a two foot spin somewhere in it. What I remember most was the ending and it was awkward because before that I have never held a pose and didnt really know how to hold it and only wanted to get it over and done with.

Isk8NYC
12-13-2005, 07:26 AM
My first program was also for the ISI Freestyle 1 test. Not that it was a formal test session, but a program was required. I then used that same program for competitions, since I had already taken the first step!

It was a simple program that my coach choreographed to music from Sheherazad. (SP?) I'm a strength and speed skater and the coach was a Julliard-trained ballerina. Not a good match of styles, so I looked kind of clunky.

Later on, I changed coaches and my new coach had a style that was similar to mine. She did a great job with my programs and loved all kinds of music -- whatever I suggested, she made work.

I miss not having a program now; freestyle/club sessions are more interesting when you've got to put elements together to music. It also makes practicing the elements more interesting since you're combining them in different ways instead of just doing it over and over.

fmh
02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
think of music that goes with a bright pink dress
then think of a little kid who tried to skate fast but nearly tripped over her toepicks, that was me :P I had all my singles, but was struggling with my lutz at the time :P:P

VegasGirl
02-13-2006, 10:02 PM
My first program was a Beta (or was is Gamma) spotlight program together with my daughter after I had only been skating/taking lessons for about 4 months and we had a hoot!!! What a great way to start competing!!! :)

xofivebyfive
07-27-2006, 05:34 PM
This is my very first program. For freestyle one.

Pivot Spin
Right lunge(big)
Left lunge(small)
RO3
L over R Xovers to and inside spread eagle
side toe tap
RO3
LO3
2 L over R XOvers
Back Outside/Back Inside edges
side toe tap
RI3
RI mohawk
3 XOvers into 2 waltz jumps
Really big and dramatic spiral
Ina Bauer
One foot spin from crossovers
Lunge into a back lunge
2 half flips
side lunge into a pivot spin

It's very pretty when you see it with my pretty arm movements. It's to Anytime, Anywhere by Sarah Brightman which Sasha Cohen coincidently skated to in an exhibition when she was fifteen. Same as me. Haha.

kateskate
07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
My first programme had:

sit spin
three jump
loop
forward spiral
flip
salchow
mini step sequence
toe loop
upright spin

I remember I was so excited my coach let me start a programme. I think its best just to do what you do best - quality easier elements rather than scrappy difficult elements.

Raye
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
For my first-ever competition in February of 2005, I had a nicely choreographed program to "The Impossible Dream" that contained lots of edges, mohawks and spirals, with a couple of one foot spins and waltz jumps thrown in for elements.

I skated out to my starting point and took my starting position, the music began and.... I drew a complete blank! I could not remember a single thing I was supposed to do! The solo was just plain gone! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak So I just made it up as I went along.

flying~camel
07-28-2006, 12:15 PM
My first solo program was in 1992 at the ISI Delta level. I skated to the theme song from Hill Street Blues.

At my 1st competition, I fell right at the end of my program, then got off the ice and bawled my eyes out. I still got 1st place, though ;)

Skate@Delaware
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I remember I was so excited my coach let me start a programme. I think its best just to do what you do best - quality easier elements rather than scrappy difficult elements.
I'm still trying to get my coach to let me ditch my very-crappy-almost-unrecognizable sitspin in my program. I'd rather end with my nice 2-foot or 1-foot spin or even a lunge.
My sitspin really, really, sucks.....:giveup: it's very bad (it's the end of my program too)

Mel On Ice
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Pre-Bronze, Fantasie Impromptu, and I was in a black dress with a white mock turtleneck collar, white stripe down the middle, and white band on the sleeves. What did I do?

alternating outside 3s
lunge
one foot spin (in flamingo leg position!)
waltz/tap toe/waltz combination
half lutz/toe loop
back spiral to forward spiral
falling leaf
waltz 3's into a salchow/mohwak/salchow
2 foot spin.

I came in 8th out of 9. I was just happy I didn't throw up.

PattyP
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
My first program was to take my ISIA (it was called that back then, not ISI) Freestyle 1. I forgot what the music was, but it had all the FS1 elements, including the dreaded BI edges. I could not do those to save my life, and I failed.

Which I always find really ironic because I went on to pass my USFSA 8th figure test!

Just goes to show, don't give up on an element you think you can't do!

My first program/competition was also ISI FS 1. I hated those BI edges too! I skated to Yanni's "One man's dream". I remember the big element being the waltz jump. I used the same music for ISI FS 2 & 3 and then my Bronze FS test. I was so sick of it by the time I was done with it.

From the time I started, I could not wait to have a program. It was kind of a life long dream to skate a program to music. I started bugging my coach about it the 2nd week that I had private lessons with her.

jazzpants
07-28-2006, 05:46 PM
My first program/competition was also ISI FS 1. I hated those BI edges too! I skated to Yanni's "One man's dream". I remember the big element being the waltz jump. I used the same music for ISI FS 2 & 3 and then my Bronze FS test. I was so sick of it by the time I was done with it.NOW you know why I'm NOT competing!!! :twisted: :lol: I'm sick of MY "Yanni" piece (ironically off the same album, called "Until the Last Moment.") But I am doing it one more time for my Bronze FS test.

Okay, maybe I'll consider PattyP's old piece too... that was one of my other choices too!!! :halo: (You still have your tape/CD from Bronze FS, PattyP? Maybe I can "reuse" it for my next number!!! :twisted: :lol: )

Hannahclear
07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
I skated to the music from ET. It was a trainwreck and a half. I had some serious bad habits that were not corrected by my then coach. I always used to wonder why I always seemed to come in next to last. :lol: Looking back, I think I get it.

It was a Basic Skills program.

Ceres
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Guess what?! I managed to get in Freestyle!! My first "program":

2 Waltz Jumps
Scratch Spin/One foot spin
Half Flip
Step Sequence (kinda mini)
1 Salchow and waltz/salchow combo
Lunge
Biellman (A new spiral thingy I learned <3)
The Ugliest Camel Spin You've Ever Seen
Forward and backward arabesque spiral

and some extra things. :yum:

PattyP
07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, maybe I'll consider PattyP's old piece too... that was one of my other choices too!!! :halo: (You still have your tape/CD from Bronze FS, PattyP? Maybe I can "reuse" it for my next number!!! :twisted: :lol: )

That was 7-8 years ago! No CD. I found only one tape labled Adult Bronze, unfortunately I don't have a tape player to play it on. I'll take it to the rink next week. It's either Yanni or Cats. Unfortunately I lost a lot of my early music as I have had my skate bag stolen not just once but twice. The first time was durning my Bronze days...in fact, I had to cancel my first test as I had no skates. :frus:

looplover
07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
My first solo program was for my ISI freestyle 4 test a couple of months ago...my former rink in NJ didn't make us test programs, which I now know was bad and did nothing to help me in this sport. Kind of makes me mad, actually, because there's no way you should get to flips and loops and still have to deal with being freaked out by doing a program for the first time!

I had a slight fracture to my shoulder and passed it anyway despite the nerves but have yet to do it again. Hope to compete in ISI in the fall. Want to join USFSA if I can seriously increase my income somehow :)

singerskates
07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm still trying to get my coach to let me ditch my very-crappy-almost-unrecognizable sitspin in my program. I'd rather end with my nice 2-foot or 1-foot spin or even a lunge.
My sitspin really, really, sucks.....:giveup: it's very bad (it's the end of my program too)

Can you do a two foot lunge ( CCW FLO infront deep knee bend 90 degrees or less and FRI extended behind )? If so, this can fix your sitspin. Use this two foot lunge to go into your sitspin. Remember to push off of your right inside edge before bringing both your right arm and leg together at the same time around you to be infront of you. You'll have an awesome sit if you can master this. Plus, it's worth extra GOE points on your sit and on the components mark as well. I have it in my newest program so that I know I will be 90 degrees or lower in my sit so that it counts as a sit under the CPC rules (even if we still will be using 6.0 again for AdultSkate here in Canada the judges are still thinking CPC in their heads now.).

singerskates

skating_life
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
When I started to do skate programs I didnt really care what I did at all. I loved just being out there :)

sexyskates
07-31-2006, 10:22 PM
My first program was from the movie Bladerunner (the very cool end titles by Vangelis) and had a 2 foot spin, waltz jump, lots of lunges and poses, a spiral into a toe loop, a tiny loop, a salchow and a scratch spin that I could barely do. But doing the arm motions with my cross overs, and having to swoop down and reach up, and connecting all these elements together with music took my skating to a whole other level. I later exchanged some elements and used the program for my bronze test.

Rusty Blades
08-01-2006, 12:05 PM
FIRST solo? Good lord, do you know how LONG ago that was??? LOL!!!

Try 1967, to "Love Is Blue" - LOL!!! - exhibition Freeskate - I was 18 and had been skating seriously for four years. (I grew up in a "backwater area" - no official testing, no judges without travel.) I was fast and strong so the program had a LOT of jumps and jump combinations. My spins were FAST but would fall apart if I held too many rotations so it was "fast in, fast rotation, and fast out" (nobody needs to know your spins fall apart if you keep them short!). Footwork was good and I enjoyed it. (I wrecked the following year pushing my jumps and did in my knees.)

Thirty-six years later (January this year) and a LOT heavier I started to re-learn skating. The "power" is starting to come back but I doubt I will ever have the speed I did before and I don't know if I will ever jump again (depends on how well the knees hold up). I'll be satisfied with a Pre-Introductory Interpretive ("edges & turns") for the first program of my "return to ice".

kateskate
08-02-2006, 08:04 AM
FIRST solo? Good lord, do you know how LONG ago that was??? LOL!!!

Try 1967, to "Love Is Blue" - LOL!!! - .

That is my music for this season! For my free dance. :)

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2006, 05:59 AM
That is my music for this season! For my free dance. :)And our Couple No 3's music, too, for theirs - I noticed you had the same!

kateskate
08-04-2006, 06:37 AM
And our Couple No 3's music, too, for theirs - I noticed you had the same!

And there's me thinking I'd found something new and original! :D

I do like it a lot though. Shame I didn't see them skate it to see how someone else used the music!

Mrs Redboots
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Shame I didn't see them skate it to see how someone else used the music!You'll see it at the British Adults, I dare say. Not sure whether they are doing Bristol - I don't think they are.

WannabeS8r
09-24-2006, 09:57 PM
I don't know how I found this thread but oh well...

salchow/loop combo
just salchow and loop
waltz jump/loop
half flip
scratch spin/back spin
"sit" spin
forward spiral into back spiral
some footwork

Sonic
09-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Just started my first programme.

So far it's got some stepping on toepicks stuff, two edges with more stepping on toepicks stuff, a sitspin...

[and I won't find out anymore for at least a week as I'm off sick]
:cry:

S xxx

quarkiki2
09-25-2006, 09:04 AM
So far, mine has a RF swing roll, change of edge, LBO to RFO mohawk, RFO to LBI choctaw, Cross front,
Two crossovers into my almost-a-scratch spin,
RBO to LFO mohawk, LFO 3 to back crossovers, 1/2 loop, 1/2 flip combo.

I'm choreographing myself for an ISI FS 2-ish program. So I need to include 1/2 lutz, two foot spin, ballet jump, forward spirals and the dance step sequence. I got the hard stuff out of the way in the beginning.

If my waltz jump ever becomes more than a glorified 3-turn, I'll add that. And if my salchow or toe loop happen any time soon, I'll add those, too.

We'll see.....

skatergirlva
09-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I was 9 and it was to PacMan Fever. Our ice show was called, "Music Skates." I had a bright orange/yellow dress and a big bow in my hair (which I hated). I remember my coach yelling at me telling me that I had one more chance to do a lutz and if I didn't get it, then she was taking it out of my program. She also told me that if I couldn't do a spread eagle she would put me down with the "baby skaters." I remember being scared of her so I did the following:

lutz
loop
flip
waltz jump/toe loop
spirals
one foot spin
two foot spin
spread eagle

I stopped skating when I was 11 and didn't compete again until I was 24 to some piano music my coach picked out.

Now I pick my own music with help from loops. :)