View Full Version : Has anyone ordered from icewear.com?

daisies
12-07-2005, 06:04 PM
There's a dress on there that intrigues me, but I am wary of ordering from a site that only lets you return for a different size or if there is a manufacturing flaw.

Still, they seem to get raves from their customers.

Any insights? Thanks!

NickiT
12-08-2005, 02:32 AM
I did a few years ago and I'd highly recommend it. The dress was gorgeous, arrived very promptly and was well packaged.

Nicki

Lenny2
12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
If you are referring to US Icewear, you need not worry. We have several stock dresses from them, and they have done two custom dresses for my daughter. Although expensive, their quality is top notch, and they will work with you.

Sk8pdx
12-08-2005, 02:35 PM
I have ordered from Icewear.com (the Canadian company, not US Icewear) and have had both good and bad experiences. The first dresss I ordered was a basic velvet dress and I liked it. Orders were processed timely. I ordered another dress from them and went to put it on and the dress tore. It was only a basting stitch that exposed the lining. I knew very little about sewing to fix it myself. It was for a Holiday show and there was not enough time to send the dress back (even express mail), have them fix it, and return it in time. I was returning the dress due to compromised manufacturing. I was also honest and admitted to them that I did not like the style. After I told them that, it took an act of congress to have them refund my account.

They are a reputable company, however, proceed with caution if you are in doubt about the return policy.

Through my experience with Icewear.com I have found that I like doing business more locally and in the US. I found a skating mom who makes custom dresses near where I live. I am also enjoying learning to sew my own dresses. :)

daisies
12-08-2005, 06:14 PM
I was also honest and admitted to them that I did not like the style. After I told them that, it took an act of congress to have them refund my account.Yikes. I noticed on their site it says they will only give you a refund for faulty manufacturing, but you can exchange if the size is wrong.

I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for on any U.S.-based sites, and icewear.com has something intriguing.

Thanks for everyone's help!

coskater64
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I like their dresses but I always find them at competitions and have them measure me. Very helpful and very nice dresses, comfortable.

Michigansk8er
12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I have one of their dresses, and it fit perfectly. I ordered their $10 leotard first, to get an idea of fit. I was satisfied, and would order from them again.

daisies
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
I ordered their $10 leotard first, to get an idea of fit.
I will definitely do that if I decide to order from them.

Those of you who ordered from them, did any of you happen to get (or have you seen in person) style number D751AS29? (I can't link to it, but their site has a style index in which you can look up by style number.)

That's the one I am thinking of getting, but in black. I think it will look very tango-ish, even though I think that dress is meant to look Native American. I dunno, it's borderline to me. LOL!

Thoughts?

Thin-Ice
12-09-2005, 03:02 AM
I think in black that dress would look tango-ish.. especially if you have your hair up, rather than down like the model does. (And darn you.. :lol: :lol: you are one of the few adults who would actually look BETTER than the catalog model in the dress!)

daisies
12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I think in black that dress would look tango-ish.. especially if you have your hair up, rather than down like the model does. (And darn you.. :lol: :lol: you are one of the few adults who would actually look BETTER than the catalog model in the dress!)LOL! Thanks! :)

Michigansk8er
12-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I like the dress. I was thinking about it once upon a time to use with my "Treasure Planet" music. Let us know how it goes, if you order it.

dooobedooo
12-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Check the sizing - they are very short in the body length. This was a surprise to me, as their "sizing" leotard fitted OK but the dress didn't.

Also, avoid their printed cotton - the quality is ghastly (they used to have matching leotards and tops).

I do have a very nice velvet dress from them though, but again, very short in the body length.

daisies
12-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Check the sizing - they are very short in the body length. This was a surprise to me, as their "sizing" leotard fitted OK but the dress didn't.

Also, avoid their printed cotton - the quality is ghastly (they used to have matching leotards and tops).

I do have a very nice velvet dress from them though, but again, very short in the body length.
Thanks for the warning! I have a long torso. Were the leotard you tried on and the dress you bought the same material? If not, I wonder if that accounts for the difference in fit.

dooobedooo
12-11-2005, 07:24 AM
If you have a long torso, I can recommend www.satinspirals.com as an alternative. They use a different basic pattern - I think it may be based on the specialtysportswear patterns.

Regarding icewear, yes, the leotard is stretch lycra with narrow shoulder straps, whereas the dresses were stretch velvet - much less stretchy. Icewear do have some nice designs - you could email them for swatches and sizing if you are interested - the actual sewing finish and embellishment for my velvet dress is good.