View Full Version : hardest skill to master

kempy
12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I am currently doing a project at University on figure skating. I am looking at the problems in the development of figure skating skills. I was wondering if any of you have any opinions on what basic skills are the hardest to develop from the point of view of the coach, when you are just starting out in skating?!?!?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

JumpinBug
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Of the most basic skills... pushing with the feet turned out and the blades, not the toepicks. It seems like it's always the last thing to come, yet one of the first things we start working on... nice controlled pushes with extension.

frvanilla
12-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Of the most basic skills... pushing with the feet turned out and the blades, not the toepicks. It seems like it's always the last thing to come, yet one of the first things we start working on... nice controlled pushes with extension.
I couldn't agree more with you!!!
I find stroking without toepicks is indeed one of the hardest basic skills to learn.

Also, how about edges?
A lot of kids ride on their inside edges on crossovers.

Isk8NYC
12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Add shifting weight from foot to foot and balancing on one foot.

AshBugg44
12-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Definately not using toepicks and also, crossovers can be such a hard skill to master. Kids often repeat alpha several times thanks to those darn crossovers!

dbny
12-11-2005, 09:42 PM

Except for those kids who have rollerbladed! No toepicks on rollerblades, and the push is very similar, so they get on the ice and get it very quickly compared to everyone else. I've even seen beginner adults who have roller bladed get it pretty fast.