View Full Version : Hardest Skill to master?

kempy
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I am currently doing a project at University on figure skating. I am looking at the problems in the development of figure skating skills. I was wondering if any of you have any opinions on what basic skills are the hardest to develop when you are just starting out in skating?!?!?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

Perry
12-07-2005, 05:49 PM
T-stops. As for jumps and spins, though, everyone learns differently -- I could do a double lutz-double loop beofre I could do a double-toe, and some people can do all their toe jumps before any of their edge jumps.

mikawendy
12-07-2005, 06:27 PM
For me, and for many adults, the backspin!!!!

Joan
12-07-2005, 06:35 PM

I suppose this is not surprising, but back-anything is harder than the equivalent move forward: back spins, back cross-overs; back-three turns; back-cross rolls etc.

jazzpants
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Basics skills? Crossovers, mohawks and 3-turns!!! (OH, MY!!!)

Seriously... all of the above moves are hard to master, but they are necessary!

Crossovers:
I'm still forever trying to get my back crossovers to the point where my secondary coach won't grumble about it. (They look better today on one side... working on the other side though...)

Forward crossovers has its unique set of problems too. (Whether it's crossed under enough or free leg extension to no toe scratchies on the push, etc...)

Mohawks:
Well, currently working on FI mohawks... feeling like I need to surgically alter my hips so I can get a good turnout for those mohawks. I don't even want to mention how many years it took just to get the foot switching to be done under the hips, never mind having the foot turned out, free leg extension, etc.

3-turns:
Key seems to be edges!!! I can guarantee if you don't have good edges that you're NOT going to get 3-turns!!! Trust me on this... (Took quite a while for the edges to be good enough to try a 3-turn and then a couple of years before I have a consistent 3-turn and now working on the "sureness" thing on doing those FO3's. (You would think after doing at least a few thousand times that you'd be less nervous to go a bit faster, no? 8O )

I still haven't master my 3-turns. The back outsides are kinda wonky. The back inside ones are almost non-existent.

For me, and for many adults, the backspin!!!!Oh, man! I still hate doing those backspins, but at least I can sorta do them now. My day of celebration came when I did backspins for my program... in front of my ex-secondary coach who was really frustrated trying to get me to do backspins correctly way back when. She said immediately "She's got a BACKSPIN!!?!?!" 8O

Terri C
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM

I think all spins are hard to master- you've got the centrifugal (sp?) going against you and for those few seconds, you are out of control!

Justine_R
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
A lot of things are challenging but if you work on them then they seem to become a little bit easier all the time until finallly you've mastered it!

For me, the most problems I have had to this day is with the lutz, I used to have a problem not being able to stay on that outside edge, but now it seems fine. ( Also, thanks too some people on here:))

Well thats my 2 cents!

luna_skater
12-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I am currently doing a project at University on figure skating. I am looking at the problems in the development of figure skating skills. I was wondering if any of you have any opinions on what basic skills are the hardest to develop when you are just starting out in skating?!?!?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

For anyone who's never set foot on skates.....turning of ANY sort. Just getting from forwards to backwards is a HUGE challenge for new skaters. Many people are terrified to take one foot off the ice. Stopping is the least of anyone's concern; that's what the boards are there for!

mikawendy
12-08-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm wondering if there are some things that are harder for adults learning to skate, and some things that are harder for kids learning to skate, and some things that are hard for everyone learning to skate....

(For instance, proper stroking would fall into the last category--something that's hard for a skater of any age to perfect--even for some elite skaters)

TimDavidSkate
12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Edges - the time consuming forward & backwards edges + three turns in the field, edge pulls

Consistency in practices, that I do not expect anymore :giveup:

mikawendy
12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
For anyone who's never set foot on skates.....turning of ANY sort. Just getting from forwards to backwards is a HUGE challenge for new skaters. Many people are terrified to take one foot off the ice. Stopping is the least of anyone's concern; that's what the boards are there for!

That reminds me of when I was learning 3 turns in group lessons. The FO3 seemed like a foreign concept to me and it seemed TERRIFYING!!!! The instructor was nice and didn't laugh at us too much when we told him that.

TashaKat
12-08-2005, 12:56 AM
PROPER 'runs'/crossovers. The clunky 'lift the leg over' kind were fine but when it came to doing it with finesse 8O

I was always quite *good* at mohawks but 3-turns were less easy especially the back 3 turn variety 8O

Jump wise I flew through them till I got to loop and then stuck and stuck and stuck! When I DID get it, though, it became my best jump, even got the 2loop nearer than the bloody axel :evil:

And, oh yes, the BACKSPIN 8O 8O 8O I personally think that it's in the way that it's taught but that's another story entirely. I also think that things like the axel and backspin are made SO much harder because we're always told how hard they are!!! I'm not saying that they're easy, never in a million, but we're up against it psychologically before we even start :giveup:

skaternum
12-08-2005, 05:58 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by "just starting out." For basic skills stuff, it was BI edges. For freestyle skating, it was the backspin.

Isk8NYC
12-08-2005, 09:59 AM
For real beginners, balancing on one foot, going backwards, and pushing properly are the most important basic skills that students struggle with regularly.

Skate@Delaware
12-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Ok, my 2 cents: for beginning beginners....BENDING those knees and ankles! :lol: I think my first year on skates I did the "zombie walk"

Then it was the bunnyhop, and the thought of JUMPING. Now, it is the backspin (and the bunnyhop :oops: ).

techskater
12-08-2005, 06:12 PM
A lot of people get stuck on the axel. They eventually can get all the other single jumps, but this takes (comparatively) a long time to get and even longer to master.

russiet
12-08-2005, 07:44 PM
The first basic figure skating skill I learned were FO 3-turns. I can't begin to tell you how many times I stumbled & fell trying to do what now seems like walking. I felt like I would never get it.

mikawendy
12-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Jump wise I flew through them till I got to loop and then stuck and stuck and stuck! When I DID get it, though, it became my best jump, even got the 2loop nearer than the bloody axel :evil:

Tasha--I had similar trouble with the loop. It took me forever even to get it to jump, then forever to get a clean landing (I was working on that for many months). I had many different people teaching it to me, and tried many different entrances--back crossover, mohawk, 3 turn. I finally had some success with the 3 turn entry. Now it's my favorite jump!

JulieN
12-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Tango stops! It took a long time to master it on my right foot, but I'm still Tango stop challenged on my left!

skindoc_denise
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
the back spins were teh most difficult for me to grasp 8O

TashaKat
12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Tasha--I had similar trouble with the loop. It took me forever even to get it to jump, then forever to get a clean landing (I was working on that for many months). I had many different people teaching it to me, and tried many different entrances--back crossover, mohawk, 3 turn. I finally had some success with the 3 turn entry. Now it's my favorite jump!

I eventually got it from a RFO3! It gave me enough 'spin' to get the jump and once I'd got the feeling I was off :)

Casey
12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
For me, the backspin. Nothing else has been so frustrating or so difficult, yet. Perhaps the axel will prove more challenging - time will tell.

Cactus Bill
12-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I see everyone here has posted their personal nightmare! And that's good as far as it goes...BUT...the most difficult skill to learn is the ability to keep bumping it out. For every single move someone has problems with there's someone else who nailed it quickly (for example, I nailed T-stops and spirals very quickly. And I've gotten compliments from other skaters about them) But I've had some problems with other basic moves...and the ONLY way to cure these problems is to work them out. Yes, it's BORING, it's no fun, but if you don't bother with the work, it just ain't gonna happen. So I would suggest that the most difficult skill to master is the skill required to fix any problem you have.

mikawendy
12-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Yup, Catcus Bill, I agree with you there. Each time I practice moves in the field, I have to make myself practice the bad ones and the bad sides enough to improve them. I always want to do the ones I'm good at, but I have to push myself to work on the ones that feel awful...

doubletoe
12-11-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm with everyone else on the backspin! I had all of my single jumps and could do them in combination before I had 3 revolutions on a reverse spin.

And to go back earlier, to when I was really just starting to skate, I agree that the 3-turn was kind of scary. Now I don't even think about it unless I'm turning counter-clockwise (the opposite direction of my turns during spins and jumps).

iskatealot
12-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Ok Im pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that the Axel is the hardest of all elements to learn.... it takes ages to get it right...

kayskate
12-11-2005, 04:13 PM
The axel, definitely. Not sure what you mean by "basics" but an axel is the jump that separates the low FS skaters from intermediates, in my experience. it is the stumbling block that many never overcome.

If you want true "beginning" (group lesson-type) skills, I think getting ppl to stroke properly is the most difficult. I say this b/c even more advanced skaters can often benefit from practicing stroking. Beginners tend to toe-push and not bring their feet together.

Kay

luna_skater
12-11-2005, 06:16 PM
From the way the first post was worded (about the difficult of learning basics when you are just starting out), I don't really consider an axel one of the basics. It is a more advanced move. Yes, it's basic in comparison to a quad. But to me, the basics are the things you need before you can do any jumping: forward and backward stroking, cross-cuts, turning from forwards to backwards, stopping.

Hannahclear
12-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Axel. It's a whole new world for jumping. A barrier I have yet to cross. :frus:

fmh
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
definatly axel, it's such a huge transition, the next biggie is the double axel, but by then you know what it's all about

EastonSkater
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Just doing things like three turns on either foot can be hard to master for some people.....because of a lot of people have just developed their own characteristic of being used to turning on a side that they're most comfortable with. The same goes with cross-overs going clockwise or anti-clockwise. etc

Paulie86
02-10-2006, 04:24 AM
For beginners, definately crossovers. Not so much backwards crossovers, but definately forwards crossovers. Just getting down the correct technique. Ohh, and anything to do with edges: 3 turns, patterns. Just mastering the control with bending the knees and you arms having to be in the right position. But yeah, they are the two most hardest things to master as a beginner, beginner.