View Full Version : European Waltz, anyone?

Justine_R
12-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Well,
Im testing my European on Wednesday, I just can't wait to pass it and FINALLY stop doing those awful three-turns for a while.

Its probably the most boring dance ever.
Does anyone here have any tips for me? Anyone ever tried this dance & have any comments or things i need to focus on?

All tips would be appreciated!
Thanks.

jenlyon60
12-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Remember to check the 3's and don't rush the timing.

Also, remember it's a soft waltz, constant rise and fall... there shouldn't be any "pop" in the knee action.

phoenix
12-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Rebend after each 3 turn before the new foot sets down. Really stretch your free leg both forward and back, more than you would normall think to do. It helps stabilize your position a lot.

Good luck--let us know how it goes!

Perry
12-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Lift with your hip, don't bend with your knee, on the three turns.

jenlyon60
12-04-2005, 07:49 AM
I may be weird but I always liked the European (even though it took 3 times to pass).

samba
12-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I'm no fan of this dance but it sure is good for building up stamina.

*JennaD*
12-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I am going to learn this dance very soon...and it looks hard, and I hate 3-turns! 8O

slusher
12-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Good luck on the test. My coach also hates this dance because it is boring. (turn, turn, turn, turn, you get the idea).

I've never tested it although I do it, for fun, and I've put a chunk of it in my interpretive. It is great practice for control of outside 3s and leg extension. The tricky part is after doing the lfo 3's around the end is to head to the centre of the rink on the next RBO LBO or then the RFO 3 doesn't work and the man has to yank you around. It's a not pretty sight!

jenlyon60
12-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Never thought about it this way before, but the control to do the end pattern and fill the rink seems to be similar to the control needed for the USFS Intermediate Back Power 3s with Perimeter back crossovers MIF (or at least same principle, except going forward vice going backward).

Mrs Redboots
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Good luck, Justine!

I don't even do the European socially yet, so I am a bit envious of you. Or not often, anyway - sometimes the Husband and I stumble and kick our way through it, but we haven't quite worked out the timing if you do it as a couple yet.

I do occasionally practice the steps though, to work on my back edges and 3-turns, but that's more of an exercise than a dance. My first ever coach taught us the steps long, long before we would be able to do the dance, and she knew that, but pointed out that there is simply no better exercises for back edges and 3-turns.

Justine_R
12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks all!
Even though its such a tedious dance, It REALLY has improved my 3-turns tremendously. The control I have on them now is immensley better then what they were -say- a year ago?.

I've been thinking about it and you know.. I really do think that SKATE CANADA made a big mistake going from the fourteenstep and then the european.Its a big changegoing from what I say is a very simple dance, not much control needed etcc... but *sigh* I can't change these things.

luna_skater
12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks all!
Even though its such a tedious dance, It REALLY has improved my 3-turns tremendously. The control I have on them now is immensley better then what they were -say- a year ago?.

I've been thinking about it and you know.. I really do think that SKATE CANADA made a big mistake going from the fourteenstep and then the european.Its a big changegoing from what I say is a very simple dance, not much control needed etcc... but *sigh* I can't change these things.

There are a couple of learning curve "jumps" in the SC test system; that's for sure! I think the biggest one is in skills...it's a fairly big jump from Sr Bronze Skills to Junior Silver Skills. But don't let it discourage you...I worked SO hard on the European; my three-turns rocked! I was so happy to get excellents on that dance, because I had put so much work into it. What helped me was coming up with my own timing system...For the 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 of the 3-turn, edge, edge, I thought "down-up-turn, dooown-up, dooown-up." It helped me keep my form proper on the 3-turns...bending and extending on 1, straightening up and bringing my free leg in tight on 2, and turning on 3.

skatersmama
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey Justine

Congrats on getting as far as the European. My daughter tested this a few years ago...finally passing on the third try.. here are a few comments she got (may help to let you know what the judges are focusing on..)
Don't wide step
Make sure you step into, not away from your partner
If you have a strong partner, he may have a tendency to "whip" you around, try not to let him do this.
Good luck to you. My dd says that the Keat's Foxtrot is MUCH easier than the European.. :)

Justine_R
12-06-2005, 02:53 PM
There are a couple of learning curve "jumps" in the SC test system; that's for sure! I think the biggest one is in skills...it's a fairly big jump from Sr Bronze Skills to Junior Silver Skills. But don't let it discourage you...I worked SO hard on the European; my three-turns rocked! I was so happy to get excellents on that dance, because I had put so much work into it. What helped me was coming up with my own timing system...For the 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 of the 3-turn, edge, edge, I thought "down-up-turn, dooown-up, dooown-up." It helped me keep my form proper on the 3-turns...bending and extending on 1, straightening up and bringing my free leg in tight on 2, and turning on 3.
Luna Skater"up, downn, up, downnn" I seriously have heard that about a million times since I started learning this dance, ugh, I just can't wait for it to be over... & Also about the skills, you right it is quite a big transition. We've started to work on the loops a little and my, they are little "buggars"-but- I must say Flying Choctaws is fun!

skatersmama: Thanks for all your tips. My dance coach said that my european is nicely skated and my feet are together etc... I just have to remember to pull my leg going into the 3 turns on 2 not 1.
Thanks for all your tips!
ps; I know bout the widestepping *sigh*I failed the fiesta for it.:(

e-skater
12-06-2005, 03:35 PM
ps; I know bout the widestepping *sigh*I failed the fiesta for it.:(

GACK! Though it is improving, and I'm shooting for testing the Fiesta "Tangle" in March '06, sometimes I find myself stepping into the next time zone on the end pattern mohawk, and the step forward prior to dance restart. At least I haven't fallen on it yet, like I did when learning the Rhythm Blues end pattern! I guess there's still time for a good fall though before I'm done with the FT....... ;)

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
GACK! Though it is improving, and I'm shooting for testing the Fiesta "Tangle" in March '06, sometimes I find myself stepping into the next time zone on the end pattern mohawk, and the step forward prior to dance restart. At least I haven't fallen on it yet, like I did when learning the Rhythm Blues end pattern! I guess there's still time for a good fall though before I'm done with the FT....... ;)Okay, Janet - I'll race you! We're hoping to test our Level 4 Silver compulsory dances (the Swing Dance and the Fiesta - aka the Fiasco Tangle) sometime before the end of the winter, and my Fiesta is so not yet passable! It's to do with my upper body position after the Mohawk....

The best way of not widestepping the step to forward - it doesn't always work for me, but mostly, is when you have crossed on to your LBI edge, bring your right foot up to the heel of your left skate, then step out from there. It does transform that step, I find.

Now I just have to train the Husband (whose solo Fiesta is well above passing standard, that's what's so miserable about it!) to be in the right place at the right moment on that step. Even he never seems to push on to that RFI edge - then he accuses me of not pushing.... hello, pot, meet kettle!

Justine, could you have pity on those of us whose eyes are getting a bit used, and enlarge your font size a bit, please.....

phoenix
12-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Test Report, Please!! :?:

Justine_R
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I made a new thread about my passing:) but yes I did & am I GLAD!
Thanks to everyone!