View Full Version : Choosing a new coach?

sunshinepointe
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
So I called around to a couple of the rinks I was talking about in the last thread and I found a place that seems like it will work well for me with good support for adult skater - they even host their own adult competition and offer adult classes several times a week at convenient times! Imagine that!

Anyway, so I'm not so sure I'll be able to continue with my current coach and there's no way he'll be able to coach at the rink I'm looking at...how do I go about selecting a new coach? I asked the people at the rink over the phone who was good for adults etc. but I get the feeling the girl I was talking to didn't really know or care about the answers to my questions.

I suppose I can just wait and get settled in at the new rink and try to meet some new coaches and talk with some of the other adults to see who they recommend, but personally I've already gone 1.5 months with NO skating, so I'd like to get back in the thick of things as soon as possible. Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!

Debbie S
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I suppose I can just wait and get settled in at the new rink and try to meet some new coaches and talk with some of the other adults to see who they recommend,
I think this might be the best option. You'll be able to skate and practice your elements while observing the other coaches and their teaching styles. Definitely talk to the other adult skaters. And pay close attention to the adult skaters whose skating level and goals are closest to your own. For example, if you want to test and compete, you will want to see who the competitive adult skaters work with and how they're doing - does it seem like they have a good understanding of the basics, etc. You may want to take the adult group classes, so you'll get some instruction while you look for a coach, plus the instructors teaching the classes will probably be from the rink's coaching pool, so you'll be able to evaluate their instruction firsthand w/o making a commitment.

mikawendy
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
And you can also interview a few of the coaches to find out if your goals and their experience areas synch up. For example, if their focus is skaters who compete and test and you're not interested in competing and testing (or vice versa) then you may find the match is not the best. Also, by talking with them (or arranging a trial lesson), you may be able to find out whether their teaching style and personality match with your learning needs and your needs as a skater.

dooobedooo
12-03-2005, 06:20 AM
I'd go there and skate on the training ice for a few weeks so that you can see for yourself!! A little quiet observation before you commit ....

stardust skies
12-03-2005, 07:03 AM
If I had to pick a coach I didn't know about...I would go sit on a few freestyles (not skate, you really can't WATCH a coach while you're skating, for example, I notice a lot of coaches don't look at the skater they're coaching while they're out doing an element in lesson, sometimes they talk on their cell phone, stir their coffee...it goes on), and then I'd drop by the skating office and get resumes of the coaches I liked, and their time availability if the office knows them. I'd do a lot of research before talking to them, because it can go very fast from "inquiring" to being stuck taking lessons with someone that might not be your best match. So scope it out!

renatele
12-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Have you asked your current coach for recommendations? He might be knowing coaches in the area, and since you are leaving him for a reason that is outside of the relationship between you two, he should have no problem in pointing you towards someone else.

Kevin Callahan
12-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I notice a lot of coaches don't look at the skater they're coaching while they're out doing an element in lesson, sometimes they talk on their cell phone, stir their coffee...it goes on),

OOOH. I hate this. Maybe because as an adult it's my money and I'm making an investment. I've seen coaches like this and would never consider them. It's a customer service thing. If I'm paying you $70 an hour when I make $7.50~12.00 an hour, I demand your full attention for the duration of the lesson, considering to pay you for an hour, it takes me one full work day to earn that.

Ice T
12-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Sunshinepointe,
Is there going to be an adult competition this year? I went to one at the Pembroke Pines last January, but have not heard if they will have it again this year. Do you know anything?
Thanks,
Ice T

TimDavidSkate
12-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh boy, I have gone through so many coaches since I started skating.
I am like Nicole Bobek/Sasha Cohen.

What I have learned from all of them are different various techniques on jumps, spins, and competing.
When a time comes where my body is not cooperating with me on a jump or spin, I would think what my coaches have told me. Each technique is different and I find all their advices seem to work on days I am all over the place.

I also have learned to be independent on the ice. I do not need a lot of tweaking while I am competing. I know my body very well and I have learned on how to fix things. I am happy that I can depend on my friends on putting me on the ice and helping me with duties such as; checking in with the monitor, holding my guards/water/or any misc things, and love.
Other than that I know that I can just focus on my own skating pace.

jazzpants
12-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Before I forget... OMG!!! Ice T!!!! I haven't seen that name for a while!!! Not since... that other (now defunct) EVIL skating board that went from free to FEE for posting our stuff!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Yeah, right!!!) :roll:

What happened to you!?!?!

Getting back to the original post... most definitely I would talk to your current coach and be frank with him of your intentions to leave and to ask him for recommendations. If nothing else, it's the "professional thing to do." ;)

I would also watch a few FS session and watch different students with their coaches and see if the method of teaching is more "your style." Then ask for names and try him/her out for a couple of lessons to see what it's like before you make a final cut.

I concur with stardust skies in researching the coach before you go talk to them. In my case WAAAAY back when I was searching for a primary coach, I did a lot of online searches and all... I also took into account my current skating level and how much $$$ I was willing to shell out per hour. And hey, I've been with my primary coach for MANY MANY years now. I've yet to find better for a primary coach.

Ice T
12-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Jazzpants!

I'm still around. I did move over to this board right after the other board went to fee posting. But I just mainly lurk and don't post too much.

My skating is going really well and I'm having a blast with it again. I'm still at Silver, and will be for a long while because of the axel and the Gold Moves, although I am working hard at learning them. I hope to go to Adult Nationals this year.

I changed coaches about two years ago, and have gone through a really rough transition with it because of having to still train around the previous coaches who have not been very nice to me. It's a long, sad story of what they did to me, and it really set me back for a long time. But I have moved on and am focusing on my new coaches and my own skating. Things are finally looking up for me and my skating is really beginning to progress again.

Thanks for remembering me and asking!!

To Sunshinepointe -- is your coach not going to teach at another rink while his/her rink is closed? Surely they must need to keep coaching during this time. Are they not able to work at another rink?

sunshinepointe
12-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi IceT

Not sure about any of the adult competitions down here, but as far as my coaching is concerned he is coaching at a few other rinks but none that seem to have a good freestyle or public session for us to work on. I'm still going to try to work out something with him only because he's amazing and I'd hate to start all over again when I have SUCH good chemistry with him....

But in any event, are you a local of South Florida? Where do you skate?

Ice T
12-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Sunshinepointe,

I'm in Tampa at the Oldsmar rink We probably even know each other and just don't know it! :D

I hope that you can get it all worked out. I know how hard it can be to change coaches. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you in February if they can get the rink open again and have their annual competition.

Ice T

blisspix
12-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I've only ever had one coach, and I stopped taking lessons in 1997. But as I want to take lessons and test again (maybe compete) I've been drawing up a laundry list of needs, and I've been watching coaches at two different kinds of sessions at two rinks to see if they are what I'm looking for.

I've been back on ice, on and off since July. The first thing I had to establish was a regular pattern, since my work schedule can be so crazy.

To select a new coach, I plan to call the rink and let them know a few of my needs. At my old rink, years ago, I knew everyone and what they were like, and what slots they had free for coaching. I basically have no knowledge going in now, so it has to be on what I want rather than knowing a coach's personality.

My wants are things like someone who will work with me seriously but not be too harsh (I don't need to be yelled at, then again no one does), help me out with off-ice advice, conditioning, know of health professionals to refer me to if required (for weights, diet etc), spend time on fixing my edges, spirals, etc, and help me with testing and getting to know the skating system and culture in my new state (I moved cross-country a few years ago).

Some of that stuff I can ask the rink for, some will come with observation.

MQSeries
12-04-2005, 08:27 PM
My wants are things like someone who will work with me seriously but not be too harsh (I don't need to be yelled at, then again no one does), help me out with off-ice advice, conditioning, know of health professionals to refer me to if required (for weights, diet etc), spend time on fixing my edges, spirals, etc, and help me with testing and getting to know the skating system and culture in my new state (I moved cross-country a few years ago).

Seems like you expect a lot from a coach. Unless the coach is very experienced with elite skaters, she/he isn't going to necessarily be concerned with other off-ice professionals like dieticians, personal trainers, health professionals, etc. or even care what you do once your lesson time with her is over. I think realistically most people pay a coach for her time and knowledge while teaching them on the ice and when the lesson is over, you're on your own.

blisspix
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Seems like you expect a lot from a coach. Unless the coach is very experienced with elite skaters, she/he isn't going to necessarily be concerned with other off-ice professionals like dieticians, personal trainers, health professionals, etc. or even care what you do once your lesson time with her is over. I think realistically most people pay a coach for her time and knowledge while teaching them on the ice and when the lesson is over, you're on your own.

My old coach was only a lower level coach (no one on the nationals circuit basically) but she did do a lot of this extra stuff. She used to give us copies of articles about jump technique and off-ice routines, encouraged me to do weekly ballet and daily stretching/running once I reached a certain level, etc etc etc. She worked through off-ice at competitions with us, and always watched to make sure that we warmed up and cooled down before/after practice.

I do expect a lot, but I also think it's a bit dangerous for a coach to not be concerned about anything that doesn't occur in the lesson - that can lead to injuries, or a skater not doing the off-ice that they need. It doesn't mean that the coach has to do the off-ice or tell you exactly what to do, but they should at least give you some assistance with it.

stardust skies
12-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Wow....I think I disagree more with this than I've ever disagreed with anything else on this board.

There's a bigggggg difference between a coach and an instructor. An instructor gives lessons. A coach...coaches you. He takes care of your career. Skating is affected by EVERYTHING you do...how you eat, how you sleep, how healthy your body is. Your coach should DEFINITELY know how to take care of the mind and body of a skater. He/she should know about sports psychology to train you mentally as much as about skating to train you physically. If you injure yourself, your coach should be familiar with physical therapy to work in conjunction with your doctor in getting you well. He/she should know a nutritionist who can get you on the best diet plan for you (whether you need to lose weight or not- EVERYONE needs a good diet plan), and either be knowledgeable in workout regimens or refer you to someone who is. Finally, a coach needs to spend time drawing up monthly and yearly (maybe even sometimes weekly) goal plans and have meetings with you on a regular basis (and your family if they're involved on a semi-regular basis) to talk about the goals and how to best meet them by the time frame they decided upon. A coach doesn't just walk away after a lesson...he/she catches up with you to talk about any issues you may have had during it. A good coach also ALWAYS keeps an eye on all their students who are on the ice, even if it's not lesson time. Sure, it shouldn't distract them from whoever they are currently coaching, but I know that while my coach gives their attention to a skater in lesson, he has eyes in the back of his head (and sides), and if he catches me screwing up on something, he'll yell my name, call me over, and lecture me...it never fails. He does this for all his skaters so no one gets offended if he does it during someone's lesson, because if your lesson is interrupted by someone, you're likely to interrupt their lesson later by being called over too. Works out for everyone.

Someone who gives you a lesson and leaves it there is an instructor, not a coach. An instructor teaches you skating, a coach helps you achieve your goals. If you're gonna pay someone a coach's fee, then they should give you a coach's services. Otherwise

Chico
12-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,

Changing coaches IS a hard thing. Talk to your old coach, if the two of you are on good terms, and ask for their advice. Coaches know each other and she might have some good ideas for you. I would watch coaches and skaters, you get a good idea this way. Talk to skaters, be correct here =-), and get the scoop. Ask what they like about their coach and what they need to work on. Can you work with their weaknesses and strengths? Watch skaters, who skates the way you want to, coaches teach what they know and appreciate. And, what do you need as a skater? I changed coaches a year or so ago and I was worried about it. I wasn't sure....even though my gut said I was right. My gut made a good choice although my head worried a ton. And even if things aren't, it's not a marriage, you can try again to find the right someone. And for those certain coaches, talkers, etc., RUN and don't even think about it. Talkers can be fun but they make poor coaches. I don't need friends I pay for, I need a skating coach. Yes we can be friends, but I want them to be my coach FIRST. Friends can happen when I'm not skating.

Good luck,

Chico

TimDavidSkate
12-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Changing coaches IS a hard thing.

It is!!! It took me days to muster up the courage to tell Derrick Delmore that I have to leave him for a Russian coach :halo:

Debbie S
12-04-2005, 11:25 PM
There's a bigggggg difference between a coach and an instructor. An instructor gives lessons. A coach...coaches you. He takes care of your career. Skating is affected by EVERYTHING you do...how you eat, how you sleep, how healthy your body is. Your coach should DEFINITELY know how to take care of the mind and body of a skater.
(snip)
Someone who gives you a lesson and leaves it there is an instructor, not a coach. An instructor teaches you skating, a coach helps you achieve your goals. If you're gonna pay someone a coach's fee, then they should give you a coach's services. Otherwise
IIRC, you're a teenager, right stardust skies? And you skate at a high ability level, right? Generally, coaches are more likely to be involved to the extent you mentioned with students who are younger, and at a high level, and that works out fine given their (the skater's) place in life. But adults tend to be more independent and have a desire to take care of certain things themselves.

I don't think what MQSeries is saying is necessarily wrong. I think it reflects a different experience with skating. And I think for most adults, what MQSeries describes is a reasonable situation for them. While I am certainly interested in what a coach says about off-ice conditioning, ballet, diet, etc, I also do a lot of reading on my own, and at my age (34 - how did that happen?) I feel like I have a good base of knowledge about those things and can make decisions on my own. If I'm injured, I can find my own doctor and PT (based on friend recs and who's in my health plan). I know enough about nutrition to plan my own meals. In fact, I would recommend NOT using people specifically referred by your coach - IMO, it's best to keep off-ice purchases/professional associations separate from on-ice. This applies to skates, music cutting, costumes, etc., as well as medical and nutrition decisions.

As far as a coach looking out for you while giving others lessons, well, I guess everyone has their own opinion and tolerance for this but personally, I'd be annoyed if a coach starts "coaching" someone else during my lesson that I'm paying good money for. Unless the coach extends my lesson time to compensate for the time he/she coached someone else while I was standing there, it would be a waste of my time and money, not to mention disrespectful. I understand what you're saying about everyone's lessons being interrupted, but that doesn't make it fair b/c you may not get the same amount of "interrupted" instruction during someone else's lesson that they may get during yours. So I think it's best when a coach only focuses on one student at a time. JMO. Obviously, if a coach sees another student have a bad fall and start crying or something, of course it's acceptable for the coach to go over and make sure they're OK, and administer any help that is necessary in that situation, but that's not what I'm talking about.

As for mental prep for comps and tests, or orienting you to the skating culture of a new club or state, I agree those are things you should expect from your coach b/c they directly concern your skating. Of course, a coach should be familiar w/ off-ice warm-up exercises and make recommendations, but I don't think a coach needs to keep tabs on what skaters do before and after practices. Off-ice warm-up at comps, if your coach is there to put you on the ice, is part of their comp coaching function, but that's different than everyday practice.

Of course, this is all my opinion and I'm sure others may feel differently. I just know what's best for me, and what seems to make sense for adults.

luna_skater
12-05-2005, 12:35 AM
I find that a lot of figure skating coaches have associations with other health professionals, so I don't think it's that off-base to expect a coach to be able to give advice, or refer you to someone for advice on other aspects of health and fitness. For eg., my free skate coach is also a Personal Trainer. My former synchro coach is a Massage Therapist. Actually, my old synchro team was filled with health professionals (doctor, a few nurses, physical therapist), so you might find that other skaters can give you recommendations as well. One of the singles coaches at my club is married to someone who specializes in yoga and stretch classes. Figure skating is a physical sport, so a lot of people who are coaches have a background in kinesiology, or something else sports/health/fitness related.

batikat
12-05-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm having to look for a new coach too - though not through choice. My current coach was an ideal adult coach for me. Took it seriously enough to want to push me and was delighted when I competed but also kept it fun and worked with me on what I wanted to achieve. He would offer advice on warm-ups and conditioning if I asked and tailored it to what I wanted to achieve on-ice. How can I ever find anyone to replace this wonderful coach? :cry:

He is leaving and taking his family back to Poland and probably leaving the world of skating altogether. Although I am staying at the same rink and I know the coaches there, in some ways it makes finding a new coach even harder because I know there are coaches who would be happy to take me on but since my coach was the best for me, I'm sort of left feeling every other coach will be second best.

Plus my coach taught both dance and free which was great for me and most of the other coaches teach either one or the other. I do mostly free now but I liked having the option to do a bit of dance now and again. The one coach that I know teaches both, is not someone I could get on with in a coaching situation.

There are some coaches I feel I can't go to as they are other adult's coaches and amongst other reasons it woudl be hard to get lessons on the sessions that suit me, as well as feeling awkward about 'muscling in ' on their territory.

Then there is the problem of not wanting to offend a coach I know well and like but I am not certain I want to have them as my coach - at least not as my only coach.

Anyway it is a huge problem and I have no idea what I am going to do as yet.

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I hired a private coach in September and it has been a good choice. Although she is quite a few years younger than me, her experience is extensive. She knows when to push me and when to back off. She is knowledgeable about my (numerous) health conditions and takes them into consideration when we work.

We have been able to get over a lot of stumbling blocks that have tripped me up for the past year (spins, salchow, etc). She is very knowledgeable about nutrition and conditioning, but so am I. We have also talked about the upcoming competitions and she has been working on the "mental" part of it-that's where I need the help......zoning out everything, focusing, etc.

I still take group lessons in an adult class (that coach is the same age as me) and we get along great. She has a different style that is more laid back, but I just needed more pushing because I wanted to do more!

I didn't know what to expect at first, but I'm glad I took the plunge and got a private coach!

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2005, 11:32 AM
I find that a lot of figure skating coaches have associations with other health professionals, so I don't think it's that off-base to expect a coach to be able to give advice, or refer you to someone for advice on other aspects of health and fitness. For eg., my free skate coach is also a Personal Trainer. My former synchro coach is a Massage Therapist. Actually, my old synchro team was filled with health professionals (doctor, a few nurses, physical therapist), so you might find that other skaters can give you recommendations as well. One of the singles coaches at my club is married to someone who specializes in yoga and stretch classes. Figure skating is a physical sport, so a lot of people who are coaches have a background in kinesiology, or something else sports/health/fitness related.
One of our coaches is a Certified Personal Trainer (with a B.S., her husband is a Physical Therapist and teaches fitness at the rink and gives body analysis and advice!!); another coach who teaches freestyle and ice dance is an Occupational Therapist.

Mrs Redboots
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
IIRC, you're a teenager, right stardust skies? And you skate at a high ability level, right? Generally, coaches are more likely to be involved to the extent you mentioned with students who are younger, and at a high level, and that works out fine given their (the skater's) place in life. But adults tend to be more independent and have a desire to take care of certain things themselves.
I think it very much depends on the coach and on the skater. My coach does recommend things for us to do off-ice, but only along the lines of "I think this will help you", rather than "You must do this". He is very involved with his elite skater (who did very well at the British Championships last week, placing 11th out of 23 in Primary Ladies, which is brilliant for a first competition), but it is her mother, a gymnastics/ballet teacher and fitness trainer, who sorts out her off-ice. But I've also known him advise a chubby low-level skater on nutrition, and he certainly has the first-aid qualifications that are a requirement for all coaches here.

I do think that if you want to know about off-ice work, nutrition, etc, it really does make sense to ask your teacher for recommendations - if they have none to give you, are you sure they're taking you as seriously as you wish to be taken?

soogar
12-05-2005, 10:38 PM

I disagree with that. A good coach will give pointers on off ice exercises and diets. I am a casual beginner skater and the instructor I'm taking from makes a point of giving me suggestions on off ice exercises and diet. The instructor works with all levels of skaters.

My personal experience because I've had a few instructors is that the older, more experienced instructors will bring up off ice exercises and other things to help your skating be productive. The younger instructors (ie the teens trying to earn spending money) generally do not go into that much detail. Just my experience, you can get a little bit out of working with a teen, but it's best to work with an experienced coach who takes pride in his/her work.

skaternum
12-06-2005, 10:28 AM
No offense to most coaches, but I wouldn't dream of taking nutrition advice from most of them. There's nothing inherent in being a skater that causes one to know the science of nutrition. I've heard too many coaches dispense iditioc diet advice to students AND each other. They're no different from your crazy co-workers who try the diet du jour. In fact, some of the coaches I know are among the worst at health and nutrition.

Granted, there are a few who have taken courses or done their own research or have relevant degrees, but most of them are just typical laymen/consumers like everybody else.

And as long as I'm being contrary ;) I might as well add that most of us don't need a special "diet" for skating. Elite athletes exercising 5-10 hours a day, yes. Hobbyists and recreational skaters exercising a few hours a day, no.

MNSHO

Skate@Delaware
12-06-2005, 12:07 PM
The only diet advice our coaches give out is to the kids...no food in the hockey boxes!!! Gets messy on the blades! :lol:

Other than that, it is up to the parents.

jazzpants
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I'll agree with skaternum on this one. Coaches are NOT trained to do diets and if they were professional enough, they would refer you to a dietitian who IS qualified to do this type of stuff. Some will do off ice exercise to help you train. Mine refers me to personal trainers at my gym to and tells me what s/he wants me to achieve. (Number #1: flexibility, Number #2: general strength.)

Skate@Deleware: Love the only diet advice from coaches!!! :lol: Then again, at my rink, the coaches and the student's "stuff" take up most of the hockey boxes... the students are supposed to be on the ice! :twisted: :lol:

blisspix
12-06-2005, 08:10 PM
But adults tend to be more independent and have a desire to take care of certain things themselves.

I don't think what MQSeries is saying is necessarily wrong. I think it reflects a different experience with skating. And I think for most adults, what MQSeries describes is a reasonable situation for them. While I am certainly interested in what a coach says about off-ice conditioning, ballet, diet, etc, I also do a lot of reading on my own, and at my age (34 - how did that happen?) I feel like I have a good base of knowledge about those things and can make decisions on my own.

I'm an adult, and I know enough to know that I don't know much about fitness, or nutrition, or which exercises will increase my flexibility. One of the joys about being a librarian, a heightened awareness of knowing what you don't know ;)

While I have read an awful lot over the years about this sport, I am not a professional, the coach is which is why I would pay them. But as I previously said, it's not that the coach should be doing everything for you, or prescribing a diet, but they should be able to refer you to others or know when you need something else. I don't know any dieticians or physiotherapists etc, so I would be looking to a coach for those referrals.

As for needing a diet as a rec skater - I am aiming to lose a few kilos. I had the horror realisation that I've put on 13 kilos since I last skated regularly, which equates to a lot of extra force on my knees when jumping. So I do need help with finding a diet that will help me lose weight as well as provide the nutrients needed for sport (apart from skating I cycle, ballet, etc). I have incredible resources at work (thanks to all those sports science student textbooks) but I am not 100% confident in doing these things on my own.

Mrs Redboots
12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
No offense to most coaches, but I wouldn't dream of taking nutrition advice from most of them.
I think that in this country basic nutrition may well be part of the training package. Only very basic, but I'm fairly sure it is included in at least the Level 1 (assistant coach) training, and possibly improved upon at the higher levels, I'm not sure.

skaternum
12-07-2005, 10:05 AM
As for needing a diet as a rec skater - I am aiming to lose a few kilos. I had the horror realisation that I've put on 13 kilos since I last skated regularly, which equates to a lot of extra force on my knees when jumping. So I do need help with finding a diet that will help me lose weight as well as provide the nutrients needed for sport (apart from skating I cycle, ballet, etc). I have incredible resources at work (thanks to all those sports science student textbooks) but I am not 100% confident in doing these things on my own.Yeah, but that's not really what I'm talking about. Assuming that you're not putting in more than a few hours of exercise a day, you're still talking about a typical weight loss diet. I'm refering to the original request about a "skater's diet." You need the same kind of nutritional advice anyone who is trying to lose weight needs.

stardust skies
12-08-2005, 12:46 AM
And as long as I'm being contrary ;) I might as well add that most of us don't need a special "diet" for skating. Elite athletes exercising 5-10 hours a day, yes. Hobbyists and recreational skaters exercising a few hours a day, no.

MNSHO

10 hours a day might be overdoing it a little. I think 5 hours is the maximum that anyone would work out, including on ice- 3 on ice sessions of an hour each, and then two hours or so at the gym. Maybe another half hour here or there.

I think there's a fundamental difference in the term "diet" that's being used in this thread, though. There's a skater's diet...which mainly focuses on nourishing the body in the best way possible for optimum performance, and then there is a diet that one would need when they want to lose weight and skate, say...1 hour twice a week. Both of those lifestyles requires a certain diet- one because of the limited activity, and one because of the abundance of activity. I agree that you don't need a skater's diet if you're only skating a few hours a week, although since most skaters eat low fat/not very high carbs, it's probably not that bad a diet to adopt even if you aren't skating. And if you're skating a few hours a day every day, that's pretty active in my opinion. Most people don't work out at all.